Mr Basketball 08

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:01 pm

tarheels13 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:BJ Mertens will be a contender as long as the Devils Lake "boosters" don't complain about how many shots he takes even though he shoots well over 50% from the field, rebounds, passes well and plays D.  Bigtime gym rat also, his dedication has paid great dividends, the only thing holding him back is his own community and so called "supporters". 

Good luck BJ.

i seen bj play this weekend up in dl.....he wasnt that impressive, hit the occasional jumper thats bout it.......hes a good player but not mr bb material, he will probaly be a canidate just because his last name

i also saw mertens play this weekend.  He really wasn't even trying.  He told me he just wanted to go out and play for fun instead of having to worry about everything.  he really didn't even try very hard and if you watched him during the year you would of noticed that.

Fruit Snack I thought you where a BB fan.  How many of these players really give their all at these tourneys?  They are not a gauge at all for how good a BB player is.  I've seen BJ play and he's as good as anyone in the state.  The way the Mr. BB goes, next year it'll be a class A player from the east to win it.  I'll put my money on Mertens. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:07 pm

tarheels13 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:BJ Mertens will be a contender as long as the Devils Lake "boosters" don't complain about how many shots he takes even though he shoots well over 50% from the field, rebounds, passes well and plays D.  Bigtime gym rat also, his dedication has paid great dividends, the only thing holding him back is his own community and so called "supporters". 

Good luck BJ.

i seen bj play this weekend up in dl.....he wasnt that impressive, hit the occasional jumper thats bout it.......hes a good player but not mr bb material, he will probaly be a canidate just because his last name

i also saw mertens play this weekend.  He really wasn't even trying.  He told me he just wanted to go out and play for fun instead of having to worry about everything.  he really didn't even try very hard and if you watched him during the year you would of noticed that.

why does every kid say that when they dont play good?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:14 pm

baseball wrote:
tarheels13 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:

Good luck BJ.

why does every kid say that when they dont play good?

in a tournament like that it is most likely true

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:29 pm

yea but a true player who wants to be great and not just good would use that tournament to improve would he not?  you can have fun with it yea, but why cant someone take it serious and improve?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:10 am

baseball wrote:yea but a true player who wants to be great and not just good would use that tournament to improve would he not?  you can have fun with it yea, but why cant someone take it serious and improve?

there are some tournaments where the competition is too bad and you cant improve idk about this situation but i have seen it happen

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fruit snack » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:53 am

nativegolfer wrote:
tarheels13 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:

Good luck BJ.

Fruit Snack I thought you where a BB fan.  How many of these players really give their all at these tourneys?  They are not a gauge at all for how good a BB player is.  I've seen BJ play and he's as good as anyone in the state.  The way the Mr. BB goes, next year it'll be a class A player from the east to win it.  I'll put my money on Mertens. 

hey aint as good as every1 thinks he is....if ur money is on mertans, ill raise u
fruit snack

Postby cdub1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:08 am

fruit snack wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
tarheels13 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:

Good luck BJ.

hey aint as good as every1 thinks he is....if ur money is on mertans, ill raise u

it looks like you are the only one who doesnt think he is good

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby fruit snack » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:10 am

cdub1 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
tarheels13 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:

Good luck BJ.

i never said he wasnt good, but if he had a differnet last name he would hardly be mentioned
fruit snack

Postby cdub1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:12 am

fruit snack wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
tarheels13 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:

Good luck BJ.

i never said he wasnt good, but if he had a differnet last name he would hardly be mentioned

22 9 and 5 he would be mentioned if his last name wuz eaouidng

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hammer63 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:37 am

I am gonna put a name out there most people haven't thought about, Anthony Kilinskie from Grafton the guy was 22 and 12 as a junior. He is an amazing competitor and singlehandedly makes Grafton a great team, it is hard for a class B person to win it though, since the Media votes and there in the Class A teams towns
hammer63

Postby project-pat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:49 am

hammer63 wrote:I am gonna put a name out there most people haven't thought about, Anthony Kilinskie from Grafton the guy was 22 and 12 as a junior. He is an amazing competitor and singlehandedly makes Grafton a great team, it is hard for a class B person to win it though, since the Media votes and there in the Class A teams towns

only B kid that has a chance is Dufault, and I believe he will win it
project-pat

Postby Region 2 fan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:04 am

project-pat wrote:
hammer63 wrote:I am gonna put a name out there most people haven't thought about, Anthony Kilinskie from Grafton the guy was 22 and 12 as a junior. He is an amazing competitor and singlehandedly makes Grafton a great team, it is hard for a class B person to win it though, since the Media votes and there in the Class A teams towns

only B kid that has a chance is Dufault, and I believe he will win it
i agree with project-pat completely on that. 
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HeisAlive » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:53 am

As mentioned earlier, the media picks and Austin all over the media right now w/verbal to Colorado.  I have seen Austin play this summer and he is a force.  IMO he's the B player that has a chance to take home the gold.  GO Austin!!!
Phil 4:13,19
HeisAlive
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby straightballer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:26 am

da_man 23 wrote:I think Default is a heck of a player and very agile and coordinated for his size but here is my only question, now that wheeling is gone, teams can concentrate on just him, how will he do with double teams or did he have to put up with that this year already??

He will still get his 20-25 a game and it will be more impressive because he will be double teamed and have defenses designed to stop him. The kid is a basketball freak. He lit it up in AAU ball this summer and that is a lot tougher competition than any ND ball. If he doesnt win it then the award is a joke. That being said i dont think he will win it for two reasons. 1. He lives in the west. 2. He is class B. He deserves the award and if he went to DHS he would prlly win it but he will have a hard time winning it in Killdeer.
straightballer

Postby project-pat » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:44 am

straightballer wrote:
da_man 23 wrote:I think Default is a heck of a player and very agile and coordinated for his size but here is my only question, now that wheeling is gone, teams can concentrate on just him, how will he do with double teams or did he have to put up with that this year already??

He will still get his 20-25 a game and it will be more impressive because he will be double teamed and have defenses designed to stop him. The kid is a basketball freak. He lit it up in AAU ball this summer and that is a lot tougher competition than any ND ball. If he doesnt win it then the award is a joke. That being said i dont think he will win it for two reasons. 1. He lives in the west. 2. He is class B. He deserves the award and if he went to DHS he would prlly win it but he will have a hard time winning it in Killdeer.

The award is pretty much based on how much media attention you are getting, and Dufault is HANDS DOWN getting the most attention out of any player in the state, A or B. So him living in Killdeer should NOT be a factor. If Dufault doesn't win the award, then the award should be abolished.

That's like Al Gore winning the Nobel Prize for making a movie that hasn't even happened yet, it's a JOKE!
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:04 am

project-pat wrote:
straightballer wrote:

The award is pretty much based on how much media attention you are getting, and Dufault is HANDS DOWN getting the most attention out of any player in the state, A or B. So him living in Killdeer should NOT be a factor. If Dufault doesn't win the award, then the award should be abolished.

That's like Al Gore winning the Nobel Prize for making a movie that hasn't even happened yet, it's a JOKE!

I completely disagree with that.  If Dufault goes out and gets 25 and 12, which I think he will, he should win.  But if Dufault goes out for 18 and 8, and a player like May or Martinez gets 27 7 and 5, they should win. 

Right now Dufault is the best player in the state, but he still has to prove he deserves Mr. Basketball, just like Qvale had to.  That being said, I think Dufault will win Mr. Basketball.

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:14 am

cdub1 wrote:
project-pat wrote:
straightballer wrote:

I completely disagree with that.  If Dufault goes out and gets 25 and 12, which I think he will, he should win.  But if Dufault goes out for 18 and 8, and a player like May or Martinez gets 27 7 and 5, they should win. 

Right now Dufault is the best player in the state, but he still has to prove he deserves Mr. Basketball, just like Qvale had to.  That being said, I think Dufault will win Mr. Basketball.

Martinez is the last person I want to win the award, he had one good season last year. How did he do freshman and sophmore year? He hardly played
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:06 am

project-pat wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
project-pat wrote:
straightballer wrote:

Martinez is the last person I want to win the award, he had one good season last year. How did he do freshman and sophmore year? He hardly played

in class a people usually only play for 2 years...then at a big school like bhs playing 3 or 4 is almost unheard of...i mean the last 4 years the only ones that have are wilhelm and thorton

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:12 am

scc wrote:
project-pat wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
project-pat wrote:
straightballer wrote:

It's a senior award.

I think they should base the "Mr. Basketball" award on your whole high school career, not just your senior season. Why not just name it player of the year then
project-pat

Postby BB11 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:29 am

Dufault should win it as he is he best player in ND - but I don't see it happening - for same reasons as someone said earilier. He lives in the west, and he's Class B - plus his team hasn't and won't make a state tournament.
The Mr. Basketball award started to go downhill when Travis Kraft didn't win it - and its been kind of like the Heisman Trophy for college FB. Goes to the best player on one of the best teams - recently always in Class A.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:24 pm

BB11 wrote:Dufault should win it as he is he best player in ND - but I don't see it happening - for same reasons as someone said earilier. He lives in the west, and he's Class B - plus his team hasn't and won't make a state tournament.
The Mr. Basketball award started to go downhill when Travis Kraft didn't win it - and its been kind of like the Heisman Trophy for college FB. Goes to the best player on one of the best teams - recently always in Class A.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Dufault improves upon his numbers from last season and goes out and gets 22-32 points, 10+ rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 or 3 blocks he WILL win Mr. Basketball. The only way I can see him losing is if a player like Jordan May, BJ Mertens, Zac Elgie, or Luke Martinez gets 30+ points, 10+ rebounds, 7+ assists, 5+ steals, and 1 or 2 blocks. And really if that does happen, the player who got 30, 10, 7, 5, and 2 does deserve to have a shot at Mr. Basketball, and even then Dufault will most likely win. Look at the facts, he will get at least 25 points and 10 rebounds, which is very reminiscent of Qvale. He signed at a Division 1 school, again much like Qvale, and if any of you haven't realized, the people from North Dakota who have gone to a Division 1 school have been winning, including; Kielpinski, Qvale, and Feickert.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Luke_J32 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:38 pm

[user=2237]BB11[/user] wrote:
Dufault should win it as he is he best player in ND - but I don't see it happening - for same reasons as someone said earilier. He lives in the west, and he's Class B - plus his team hasn't and won't make a state tournament.

That is one hundred percent right Travis Kraft dominated averaged 30 points a game was much like Dufault but maybe better. he didn't win it because his team didn't go to state . He went to South Carolina and ended up having foot troubles and ended his career at NDSU. He was all they had and thats just not fair
Last edited by Luke_J32 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke_J32

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:11 am

Luke_J32 wrote:[user=2237]BB11[/user] wrote:

That is one hundred percent right Travis Kraft dominated averaged 30 points a game was much like Dufault but maybe better. he didn't win it because his team didn't go to state . He went to South Carolina and ended up having foot troubles and ended his career at NDSU. He was all they had and thats just not fair

No he didn't win it because Mr. Bball is a JOKE...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:27 am

if its all about media coverage, Dufault gets it every time.  if you have to go out and prove like some say, which i think he still should but he will, why didnt belhovek win it.  Qvale had a good senior year, but when is the last time a guy did what belohvek did??  every night he could go out and score at will.  but i konw exactly what people are going to say..."he did make it to state".  exactly why the award is a joke.  a guy has a great year but doenst win an award just because some teams were better then his?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:01 pm

I hate the Mr. Bball award.  Travis Kraft got screwed as well as Craig Nelson and Kyle Carr.  If Austin doesn't win, well he could join the club too.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys