Top Class "B" Point Guards of All-Time

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby gator-nation » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:32 pm

how about donovan breen from bowman he led the bulldogs for 4 years.
gator-nation

Postby BBall dominator » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:35 pm

I've played against him and played w/ him and watched him I never was really impressed but I never really expected alot he for sure was no one to take for granted but probably isn't top #500 PG's of all time
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:50 pm

Donovan breen was a SAINT. He did an excellent job of being the floor general for the bulldogs, starting PG since his freshman year. He took on a heavy load whenever he stepped onto that floor, and he performed every time, did a really nice job distributing the ball as well as creating shots for himself.
project-pat

Postby baller01 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:39 pm

project-pat wrote:Donovan breen was a SAINT. He did an excellent job of being the floor general for the bulldogs, starting PG since his freshman year. He took on a heavy load whenever he stepped onto that floor, and he performed every time, did a really nice job distributing the ball as well as creating shots for himself.

Haha you guys are losers, haha.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BBall dominator » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:00 pm

[user=1515]baller01[/user] wrote:
project-pat wrote:Donovan breen was a SAINT. He did an excellent job of being the floor general for the bulldogs, starting PG since his freshman year. He took on a heavy load whenever he stepped onto that floor, and he performed every time, did a really nice job distributing the ball as well as creating shots for himself.

I really don't think he needed to carry that heavy of a load w/ tivis and pauley
Hate my selfishness, Hate my lies, Hate my infidelity, Hate the fact that my high-powered attorneys got me off and humiliated my accuser when I was charged with rape. And hate that I'm loved, because I can shoot a ball.
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:52 am

Nice Burgandy Quote. 

I remember hearing about Hunter Berg my senior year.  He played out west, didn't get a chance to see him, but heard he was a baller!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:49 am

Indians Alumni wrote:

Nice Burgandy Quote. 

I remember hearing about Hunter Berg my senior year.  He played out west, didn't get a chance to see him, but heard he was a baller!

Where the heck you been, Shells?  He was the starting PG for UND, also. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby always a sports season » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:53 am

lotta bb wrote:Interesting subject when one says that any guard can be listed  if they have played the pt. guard position. I guess that could be just about every guard that has ever played. than there is the fact that you have people who played before the 3 pt. arc was instituted so it would be tough to compare the scoring averages. So I am going to throw a name in the ring of a person who was a fantastic true pt. guard - Jerry Ford who played at Casselton back in the 60's.
And Jerry Ford can still smoke the high school guards of today!
always a sports season

Postby B-Ball Fan » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:59 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:I'm just going to pick an obvious one, Craig Nelson. 

This topic isn't for players that are true "point" guards either, it's for people who played the position of point guard.

Well fella's I'm new to the sight but I'm going to have to weigh in on this one.  I would have to select Danny Peltier from the Dunseith Dragons.  He was a Mr. Basketball finalist in 91, and lost to out to Bart Manson from the Magicians.  And by the way, Steve Hall was the point guard for the Newburg Eagles.  Lamourex played the two guard in High School and for the Minot State Beavers.
B-Ball Fan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:09 am

nativegolfer wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:

Nice Burgandy Quote. 

Where the heck you been, Shells?  He was the starting PG for UND, also. 

I am from Mpls remember!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Boyyo27 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:48 pm

The Schwab wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Hunter Berg would be the best but we aren't just saying who's the top point guard we are just discussing top PGs of all time.  Lets see if we can get a top 5 list
1. Hunter Berg
2. Craig Nelson
3. Chad Glasser
4. Chris Lemoraux (spelling)
5. Steve Sedler

there's a start
Steve Sedler was a stud shoulda been Mr. Basketball his sr year,  but got screwed over by some class a guy.
Boyyo27
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:06 pm

BBall dominator wrote:[user=1515]baller01[/user] wrote:

I really don't think he needed to carry that heavy of a load w/ tivis and pauley

Alot of their success is due to Breen, w/o him they wouldn't of gotten have the looks that they had, they shoulda called him Gerber the way he spoon fed that team.
project-pat

Postby BBall dominator » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:05 pm

project-pat wrote:
BBall dominator wrote:[user=1515]baller01[/user] wrote:

Alot of their success is due to Breen, w/o him they wouldn't of gotten have the looks that they had, they shoulda called him Gerber the way he spoon fed that team.
Haha that quip doesn't get old nice to see it used...No, sorry I've seen pauley and tivis play w/o Breen still put up their same numbers meanwhile I have seen Breen play a few games w/o those two looked like a regular PG not bad or anything just an average PG which is not a bad thing at all
BBall dominator
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Donovan has the mind-set of a PG which is key in most players. He trusts himself enough to take his own shot or dish it off when needed. Not very many point guards these days trust themselves enough to create plays.
project-pat

Postby magichoops » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:36 pm

It is amazing that this is an all-time list and most of the posters can only go back 3-4 years back or last season for that matter. There are a few old timers here that remember at least players form the 80s.  Chris Lamoureux from Newberg, 1985 North Dakotas first Mr. Basketball and took his team to 2 or 3 finals. Hunter Berg has to be on the list, he was the last class B Mr. Basketball in 1995. Did Ben Jacobson play the point for MPCG with Kraft at SG? Ted Uecker (Belfield?)was an amazing ballhandler. Scott Guldseth did just about everything for Edinburg. Did Steve Blehm play point?
magichoops

Postby cubsfan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:46 pm

magichoops wrote:It is amazing that this is an all-time list and most of the posters can only go back 3-4 years back or last season for that matter. There are a few old timers here that remember at least players form the 80s.  Chris Lamoureux from Newberg, 1985 North Dakotas first Mr. Basketball and took his team to 2 or 3 finals. Hunter Berg has to be on the list, he was the last class B Mr. Basketball in 1995. Did Ben Jacobson play the point for MPCG with Kraft at SG? Ted Uecker (Belfield?)was an amazing ballhandler. Scott Guldseth did just about everything for Edinburg. Did Steve Blehm play point?
Ben Jacobson graduated in 1989.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BB11 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:59 am

[user=1043]cubsfan[/user] wrote:
magichoops wrote:It is amazing that this is an all-time list and most of the posters can only go back 3-4 years back or last season for that matter. There are a few old timers here that remember at least players form the 80s.  Chris Lamoureux from Newberg, 1985 North Dakotas first Mr. Basketball and took his team to 2 or 3 finals. Hunter Berg has to be on the list, he was the last class B Mr. Basketball in 1995. Did Ben Jacobson play the point for MPCG with Kraft at SG? Ted Uecker (Belfield?)was an amazing ballhandler. Scott Guldseth did just about everything for Edinburg. Did Steve Blehm play point?

Yes Ben is a lot older than Travis, but I get where he's going with this There have been a lot of great players that last three or four years - but there was a ton of great players before these last few years too. Hunter Berg was probably the most talented pt. guard to come out of Class B ND. Craig Nelson was probably the smartest in recent years.
But look back at some others like Lamoureaux and John Rygg from Mayville and even some unknows like Robin Uses Arrow from Solen, I know a lot of the guys on this site are young, so that is why we get a lot of answers with recent players - That's why us old fogies are here to teach them just how good some of these other guys were. It not only helps us remember them, but it broadens the younger guys knowledge of the ND CLASS B game which is the greatest in the nation.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Ha ha ha....you guys are pretty funny....i know alot of us are young......but you show me a point guard who has played in ND and is better than Hunter Berg or Craig Nelson.....Berg was the Mr. Bball as a senior, and the heart and sole of his grenora gophers state finalist team. Craig Nelson got hosed out of Mr. Bball worse than anybody (maybe with the exception of Travis Kraft) he was the general, the driving force behind the state title teams of MPCG. I know that Chris Lamoureaux and Jerry Ford were good players. And the all arround player Scott Guldseth was amazing....but without question Hunter Berg and Craig Nelson are the two best point guards to ever play in ND....Period.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:35 pm

the best i have seen by far is Craig Nelson.....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:45 pm

BB11 wrote:[user=1043]cubsfan[/user] wrote:
magichoops wrote:It is amazing that this is an all-time list and most of the posters can only go back 3-4 years back or last season for that matter. There are a few old timers here that remember at least players form the 80s.? Chris Lamoureux from Newberg, 1985 North Dakotas first Mr. Basketball and took his team to 2 or 3 finals. Hunter Berg has to be on the list, he was the last class B Mr. Basketball in 1995. Did Ben Jacobson play the point for MPCG with Kraft at SG? Ted Uecker (Belfield?)was an amazing ballhandler. Scott Guldseth did just about everything for Edinburg. Did Steve Blehm play point?

Yes Ben is a lot older than Travis, but I get where he's going with this There have been a lot of great players that last three or four years - but there was a ton of great players before these last few years too. Hunter Berg was probably the most talented pt. guard to come out of Class B ND. Craig Nelson was probably the smartest in recent years.
But look back at some others like Lamoureaux and John Rygg from Mayville and even some unknows like Robin Uses Arrow from Solen, I know a lot of the guys on this site are young, so that is why we get a lot of answers with recent players - That's why us old fogies are here to teach them just how good some of these other guys were. It not only helps us remember them, but it broadens the younger guys knowledge of the ND CLASS B game which is the greatest in the nation.

Ben's younger brother Tom played the point for MP back in 95-97 when they had those tough teams and played with Travis Kraft also.  He went on to play for UND just like Ben
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby chuckles noris » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:09 pm

ADAM BURCKHARD 6-2 fast, good handles, and can shoot
chuckles noris
NDPreps Reserve

Postby straightballer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:59 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Aaronih wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Aaronih wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Aaronih wrote:ITS A SHAME TI DIDN'T GET NO ANY VOTES FROM U FELLAS SO BIASED CAUSED ME & FW FANS BRAGGED HIM UP ALL YEAR JUST GIVE HIM HIS DUES..I THINK HE EARNED IT AND SO DO U...

Two people have put their Top 5 lists on here.  I am not that surprised that Ironheart isn't considered one of the best point guards of all time.  Just because people dont think he's one of the top 5 pg's ever doesn't mean we think he isn't good. 

how can he be top 5 all time if he wasnt even the best this year?
YES HE WAS THE BEST THIS YEAR IF HE WASN'T I'LL ARGUE W/ANYBODY TO SEE WHO WAS BETTER & WHO DID MORE FOR THERE TEAM..

mark bakkum and nathaniel packineau were both much better

Yur saying they were both much better? wat u drinking hennessy..lol Ironheart was one of the best if not the best PG this year...
I would say Nathaniel Packineau was better then ironheart for what he did for his team but I dont have an opinion on Bakkum, I never got to see him play.  In his defense Ironheart had a better supporting cast around him then Bakkum but Bakkum had a weaker region to go through.  If you think that cdub1 is drinking look at how you just typed that and tell me you weren't hitting the sauce a little before.

I would have to say the erhart(sorry bout the spelling) kid from hazen was better than ih and i think that keithly from trinity was just as good. Chad Glasser has to be at the top of anyones list for best all time.
straightballer

Postby baseball » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:11 pm

cdub1 wrote:
Aaronih wrote:
cdub1 wrote:
Aaronih wrote:ITS A SHAME TI DIDN'T GET NO ANY VOTES FROM U FELLAS SO BIASED CAUSED ME & FW FANS BRAGGED HIM UP ALL YEAR JUST GIVE HIM HIS DUES..I THINK HE EARNED IT AND SO DO U...

Two people have put their Top 5 lists on here.  I am not that surprised that Ironheart isn't considered one of the best point guards of all time.  Just because people dont think he's one of the top 5 pg's ever doesn't mean we think he isn't good. 

how can he be top 5 all time if he wasnt even the best this year?
YES HE WAS THE BEST THIS YEAR IF HE WASN'T I'LL ARGUE W/ANYBODY TO SEE WHO WAS BETTER & WHO DID MORE FOR THERE TEAM..

mark bakkum and nathaniel packineau were both much better

I personally think Bakkum was a better PG then Ironheart but the thing Ironheart has the Bakkum doesnt is that he led his team to back to back state tournaments.  had Bakkum had maybe one more role player on the team i believe they may have been in state but o well.  ive seen both and i tihnk Bakkum is better, but if i was just going by paper i would think Ironheart just because the repeat state trips....

The reason I dont think Packineau is the best PG is because its hard for me to call him a PG.  if we just say best gaurd, i think you have to put him at the top, he looked to shoot a little too much for me to say top point gaurd
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:17 pm

my only oppurtunity to see them all play against top flight competition at the same time was the lion's  Bakkum had many great passes.  Packineau had 15 points  IronHeart was a no show

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:26 pm

cdub1 wrote:my only oppurtunity to see them all play against top flight competition at the same time was the lion's  Bakkum had many great passes.  Packineau had 15 points  IronHeart was a no show

IH had a good game in Fargo with numerous nice passes though
baseball
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys