Region 2 Dominance

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby The Schwab » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:38 pm

This also includes 5 state titles.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:48 pm

[font=Times New Roman]Region II State Champions in the past 15 years

6 – May Port CG (4) North Border (1) Central Valley (1)

Region VII State Champions in the past 15 years

2 – Dickinson Trinity (2)

We’ve been in the losers bracket twice in the past 15 years.  Without Dickinson Trinity’s two in the last few years which easily could’ve gone to Region II teams what would Region VII have to talk about?  In 2006 May-Port CG played one of their worst games of the season and got beat on a clutch buzzer beater.  In 2004 Cavalier had the most talented overall team in the state but when the player who single handedly brought his team back from two 15+ point deficits in the second half of games in Regionals gets so sick he’s throwing up on the way to the games it’s going to be difficult to find the rhythm offensively and defensively.  So if Region VII really is THAT good what do you have to base that on?  [/font]
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jetblue12 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:17 pm

yep, region 2 is hands down the best region in the state.
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby Swine-O » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:11 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:[font=Times New Roman]Region II State Champions in the past 15 years

We’ve been in the losers bracket twice in the past 15 years.  Without Dickinson Trinity’s two in the last few years which easily could’ve gone to Region II teams what would Region VII have to talk about?  In 2006 May-Port CG played one of their worst games of the season and got beat on a clutch buzzer beater.  In 2004 Cavalier had the most talented overall team in the state but when the player who single handedly brought his team back from two 15+ point deficits in the second half of games in Regionals gets so sick he’s throwing up on the way to the games it’s going to be difficult to find the rhythm offensively and defensively.  So if Region VII really is THAT good what do you have to base that on?  [/font]

Mayport played their worst game of the season? So what, do you think that was Trinity's best game of the season? If Trinity would have been in rhythym at all on offense that game like they were in the two previous games they probably would have won by 20. and I disagree with Cavalier having the most talented team in the state. I believe New Rockford and Trinity both were much more talented.
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:43 am

I think you missed a year there Schwab.  Since 95 there have been 13 tourneys which mean 39 games.  Give REGION 4 some props here, too.  Since 95 we're 26-13 with 3 titles and 3 runnerups and only 2 times placing lower than 5th (one of which was an 0-3 showing by Warwick in 96).  Everybody always wants to talk about Region 2 and Region 7, but Region 4 has always been just as good if not better!!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:59 am

Swine-O wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:[font=Times New Roman]Region II State Champions in the past 15 years

Mayport played their worst game of the season? So what, do you think that was Trinity's best game of the season? If Trinity would have been in rhythym at all on offense that game like they were in the two previous games they probably would have won by 20. and I disagree with Cavalier having the most talented team in the state. I believe New Rockford and Trinity both were much more talented.
I never said Trinity came out and played their best ball either but May-Port CG was ranked number 1 all year long for a reason.  As far as Cavalier goes I do think the had the most talented team that season.  Had they had a coach that knew what he was doing that year they would've been undefeated.  Their team consisted had more speed then any other team that I can ever think of and they never pressed or fastbreaked because he wanted them to slow it down and run their offense which worked alright but when you have the north dakota state track champions in the 4 man relay on the court plus Brady Trenbeath I would think you'd want them to run.  I would love to see what someone like Rick Smith would've done with that team.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:16 am

I would say Cavalier that year was one of the top four most athletic teams in the state that year. I guess it depends on how you define athletic if you go by basketball athletic there in the top four that year, but if you go all around athletic I would debate they were the most athletic with what they were able to accomplish in other sports. I think better coaching also could have gone a long way for them, they just some guys that wouldn't let that team lose especially during the region tournament.
Last edited by ndfan on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:33 am

[user=12]SCC[/user] wrote:
Trivia time:  May-Port CG has the most state tournament appearances and state titles among teams in Class B.  How many appearances and how many titles do they have?  This includes Mayville, Portland, Mayville-Portland, and May-Port CG.  Also, how many trips and titles for Hillsboro?

MPCG and so on have made it to state 19 times and have 8 titles. Another interesting tidbit - The worst they have ever done is 4th place in a state tournament - meaning - they have NEVER LOST and OPENING GAME! I heard that in 02-03 when they were there - and thought that was just unreal.
Hillsboro has won 4 titles but I'm not sure how many times they have been there.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:50 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I think you missed a year there Schwab.  Since 95 there have been 13 tourneys which mean 39 games.  Give REGION 4 some props here, too.  Since 95 we're 26-13 with 3 titles and 3 runnerups and only 2 times placing lower than 5th (one of which was an 0-3 showing by Warwick in 96).  Everybody always wants to talk about Region 2 and Region 7, but Region 4 has always been just as good if not better!!

How can region 4 be better?  MPCG has more titles since 95 then the whole region 4.  I thought this was down year for region 2 and we had the second best team at state.  Yes I am saying that North Border is better than Dickinson Trinity.  I guarantee that the team the makes it out of region 2 will contend for a state title, whoever it might be.  

Last edited by cubsfan on Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby knights4 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:53 pm

i predict grafton wins it all next year
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cubsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:58 pm

knights4 wrote:i predict grafton wins it all next year

Who will Grafton have coming back next year?  I know they have Kliniske coming who will be one of the top player's in the region, Paul Holand who was pretty good as a sophomore, Cameron Collette who seemed like a pretty hard nosed kid, and they had a kid who came off the bench and shoot the 3 pretty good.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BaldEagle » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:40 pm

Swine-O wrote:
cubsfan wrote:How can region 4 be better?  MPCG has more titles since 95 then the whole region 4.  I thought this was down year for region 2 and we had the second best team at state.  Yes I am saying that North Border is better than Dickinson Trinity.  I guarantee that the team the makes it out of region 2 will contend for a state title, whoever it might be.  

North Border was garbage compared to Dickinson Trinity

I think they were both good teams.  You'll never know who is better unless they play. 
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby knights4 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:51 pm

i think they lose stephen olivarez, and taylor schiller(spelling) which are big losses, but they had a very experianced and talented b squad, who got a lot of varsity time, and who can fill the void left by those two, and obviously they will still have A.K which i think could be a mr. bball candidate, so i predict they make it to state and make some noise.
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."
-Harry Dunn
knights4
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby region 2 opinion » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:06 pm

NB vs Parshall was the best game of the tournament. (many people have already said that).  A couple of very questionable traveling calls at the end of the 2nd 1/4 (and the worst intentional foul call in hs bb history), and a tough shooting nite by Tanner Carpenter was all that stood between NB and a state championship. DT would not have matched up with NB at all. You don't have to know much about hoops to figure that out. Just compare the scores, NB played them closer than anyone.  That earlier game vs 4w doesn't mean anything either for you 4w buffs. It was early and NB played a very tough game the nite b/4 while the 4w kids spent the nite in gf so they wouldn't have to travel. NB had no legs and got down early, they did outscore 4w in the 2nd 1/2 when all starters were still in for both teams. Ask the Parshall kids, NB was their toughest competition by far, their coach was the first to say that!!
region 2 opinion
NDPreps Starter

Postby fruit snack » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:28 am

parshalls the best there is, plain and simple....
fruit snack

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:02 am

SCC wrote:
region 2 opinion wrote:NB vs Parshall was the best game of the tournament. (many people have already said that).  A couple of very questionable traveling calls at the end of the 2nd 1/4 (and the worst intentional foul call in hs bb history), and a tough shooting nite by Tanner Carpenter was all that stood between NB and a state championship. DT would not have matched up with NB at all. You don't have to know much about hoops to figure that out. Just compare the scores, NB played them closer than anyone.  That earlier game vs 4w doesn't mean anything either for you 4w buffs. It was early and NB played a very tough game the nite b/4 while the 4w kids spent the nite in gf so they wouldn't have to travel. NB had no legs and got down early, they did outscore 4w in the 2nd 1/2 when all starters were still in for both teams. Ask the Parshall kids, NB was their toughest competition by far, their coach was the first to say that!!

Great comments.  I also thought there were a couple interesting calls in that NB/Parshall game.  North Border represented region 2 very well.
HAHAHAHA....... It's halarious how you NB fans dream and make excuses.  OK, if FW makes 6 more shots against DT then we win and should be state champs!  Right?  I'm using your logic.  By the way, I never made one excuse for FW losing to DT, so don't fire that back at me.  We lost plain and simple.  But we did stomp NB. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby BaldEagle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:18 am

nativegolfer wrote:HAHAHAHA....... It's halarious how you NB fans dream and make excuses.  OK, if FW makes 6 more shots against DT then we win and should be state champs!  Right?  I'm using your logic.  By the way, I never made one excuse for FW losing to DT, so don't fire that back at me.  We lost plain and simple.  But we did stomp NB. 

I was hoping for a FW vs North Border rematch in the championship game, but it never happened.  Four Winds had a great team, would have been fun to watch.  Cando beat North Border by 30 during the 2001 season, and lost in them in the championship game of the state tourney, so you can't go by previous games.  Dreams do come true.   Parshall won the tourney, plain and simple. 

BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:45 am

nativegolfer wrote:
SCC wrote:
region 2 opinion wrote:NB vs Parshall was the best game of the tournament. (many people have already said that).  A couple of very questionable traveling calls at the end of the 2nd 1/4 (and the worst intentional foul call in hs bb history), and a tough shooting nite by Tanner Carpenter was all that stood between NB and a state championship. DT would not have matched up with NB at all. You don't have to know much about hoops to figure that out. Just compare the scores, NB played them closer than anyone.  That earlier game vs 4w doesn't mean anything either for you 4w buffs. It was early and NB played a very tough game the nite b/4 while the 4w kids spent the nite in gf so they wouldn't have to travel. NB had no legs and got down early, they did outscore 4w in the 2nd 1/2 when all starters were still in for both teams. Ask the Parshall kids, NB was their toughest competition by far, their coach was the first to say that!!

Great comments.  I also thought there were a couple interesting calls in that NB/Parshall game.  North Border represented region 2 very well.
HAHAHAHA....... It's halarious how you NB fans dream and make excuses.  OK, if FW makes 6 more shots against DT then we win and should be state champs!  Right?  I'm using your logic.  By the way, I never made one excuse for FW losing to DT, so don't fire that back at me.  We lost plain and simple.  But we did stomp NB. 
If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Swine-O » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:47 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Swine-O wrote:
cubsfan wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I think you missed a year there Schwab.  Since 95 there have been 13 tourneys which mean 39 games.  Give REGION 4 some props here, too.  Since 95 we're 26-13 with 3 titles and 3 runnerups and only 2 times placing lower than 5th (one of which was an 0-3 showing by Warwick in 96).  Everybody always wants to talk about Region 2 and Region 7, but Region 4 has always been just as good if not better!!

How can region 4 be better?  MPCG has more titles since 95 then the whole region 4.  I thought this was down year for region 2 and we had the second best team at state.  Yes I am saying that North Border is better than Dickinson Trinity.  I guarantee that the team the makes it out of region 2 will contend for a state title, whoever it might be.  

You're garbage.  Dickinson Trinity had a good team but this isn't anything like the teams they've had from the past.  Outside of Jordan Rising and Mark Keithley I didn't see much from Trinity that would really scare me as an opponent.  North Border had 5 guys average double figures and 3 of those five players have had multiple 20+ point performances this past year. 

Wow multiple 20 point performances???? Let me go get ESPN on the line!!!!!!! How do you figure North Border would beat Trinity? First of all Trinity beat FW at state, and FW would have stomped NB had they played each other. Second of all, Trinity pounded Ryan, and NB barely speaked past Ryan. And this isnt even mentioning the beating FW put on NB earlier this year. And don't question my basektball knowledge, I've seen and played my fair share of basketball, and yes I do know alot more about basketball than you do. Your just furious because I'm attacking your own opinion and you can't handle the fact that Trinity would beat NB.
Last edited by Swine-O on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:19 am

The Schwab wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
SCC wrote:

If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.
Exactly!!
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby BaldEagle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:52 am

Swine-O wrote:Wow multiple 20 point performances???? Let me go get ESPN on the line!!!!!!! How do you figure North Border would beat Trinity? First of all Trinity beat FW at state, and FW would have stomped NB had they played each other. Second of all, Trinity pounded Ryan, and NB barely speaked past Ryan. And this isnt even mentioning the beating FW put on NB earlier this year. And don't question my basektball knowledge, I've seen and played my fair share of basketball, and yes I do know alot more about basketball than you do. Your just furious because I'm attacking your own opinion and you can't handle the fact that Trinity would beat NB.

Unless the teams play head to head in the tourney, no one knows who will win.  I've only been watching Class B basketball for 40 years.  I have a friend that scored 39 points in a final 4 game, he made the Olympic basketball team, I went to a bunch of his pro games, I hung out in the players clubhouse with his teammates.  One of his former teammates is an ESPN analyst.  All that basketball exposure, and I still couldn't tell you who would win the game.   

Most people picked Cando over North Border in 2001 too, because Cando beat North Border by 30 during the season.   
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby Swine-O » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:33 pm

BaldEagle wrote:
Swine-O wrote:Wow multiple 20 point performances???? Let me go get ESPN on the line!!!!!!! How do you figure North Border would beat Trinity? First of all Trinity beat FW at state, and FW would have stomped NB had they played each other. Second of all, Trinity pounded Ryan, and NB barely speaked past Ryan. And this isnt even mentioning the beating FW put on NB earlier this year. And don't question my basektball knowledge, I've seen and played my fair share of basketball, and yes I do know alot more about basketball than you do. Your just furious because I'm attacking your own opinion and you can't handle the fact that Trinity would beat NB.

Unless the teams play head to head in the tourney, no one knows who will win.  I've only been watching Class B basketball for 40 years.  I have a friend that scored 39 points in a final 4 game, he made the Olympic basketball team, I went to a bunch of his pro games, I hung out in the players clubhouse with his teammates.  One of his former teammates is an ESPN analyst.  All that basketball exposure, and I still couldn't tell you who would win the game.   

Most people picked Cando over North Border in 2001 too, because Cando beat North Border by 30 during the season.   

This is a good point you make. I agree that we will never know who would win the game because they never played each other. Any facts you can bring up about the season is simply here say. All I was trying to say is that in my honest opinion, I believe if they played that Trinity would come out on top. Both teams are good, obviously, they made it to state. But I believe Trinity has a better coaching staff and that makes a HUGE difference especially in big games.
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BaldEagle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Swine-O wrote:This is a good point you make. I agree that we will never know who would win the game because they never played each other. Any facts you can bring up about the season is simply here say. All I was trying to say is that in my honest opinion, I believe if they played that Trinity would come out on top. Both teams are good, obviously, they made it to state. But I believe Trinity has a better coaching staff and that makes a HUGE difference especially in big games.

That be Fine Swine :D :cool: 
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby shooter » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:13 am

Have you ever been in the NB locker room?  The DT locker room?  How can you say their coaching staff is so much better?  In the tourney it looked to me like NB had a pretty descent game plan for each team that faced them!
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thatoneperson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:46 am

Swine-O wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Swine-O wrote:
cubsfan wrote:

You're garbage.  Dickinson Trinity had a good team but this isn't anything like the teams they've had from the past.  Outside of Jordan Rising and Mark Keithley I didn't see much from Trinity that would really scare me as an opponent.  North Border had 5 guys average double figures and 3 of those five players have had multiple 20+ point performances this past year. 

Wow multiple 20 point performances???? Let me go get ESPN on the line!!!!!!! How do you figure North Border would beat Trinity? First of all Trinity beat FW at state, and FW would have stomped NB had they played each other. Second of all, Trinity pounded Ryan, and NB barely speaked past Ryan. And this isnt even mentioning the beating FW put on NB earlier this year. And don't question my basektball knowledge, I've seen and played my fair share of basketball, and yes I do know alot more about basketball than you do. Your just furious because I'm attacking your own opinion and you can't handle the fact that Trinity would beat NB.

Well First of all they will never play eachother unless they both make it to state again!And they didnt this year!Who cares who will win because they didnt play eachother!So get over it!
thatoneperson
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Boys