Class B Lions All-Star Team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:38 am

5p1d3r wrote:
Diamond D wrote:Man, you guys don't give Mathison enough credit.  In the semi-final game he hit every shot he took in the first half.  What was his ending FG percentage?

Personally I think he didn't the ball enough.  I also didn't think he looked clumsy either.  The only problem I see is that he is too relaxed.  Like in the movie Dodgeball.....he just needs to get angry.

Also, some players peak later.  Look at Brekke from UND.  A late bloomer that played exceptionally well later in his career.  I believe his mother or aunt played at UND and was the same way.   His cousin Samatha Brekke came to LRSC and was a big time player as she matured.  I believe all Region this year going onto UND to further her playing.

Are you kidding me, if anything he is getting a little too much credit.

There are so many Big Men that UND would take over mathison. I agree he deserved all state tournament team, but he is 6 ft 10!! He played against centers at the state tourney that were at most like 6 ft 4. He didnt even get a double double each game. He can compete in HS but not in college, how would he compete with other 6 10 posts in college? Besides he is too busy dancing after being fouled
wow...you guys have pretty much blown this UND thing WAY out of proportion......UND likes his size and is thinking about signing him to be a PROJECT...you know someone who they will work with and try to make better.......give the kid his credit...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NBE2007 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:42 pm

5p1d3r wrote:
Diamond D wrote:Man, you guys don't give Mathison enough credit.  In the semi-final game he hit every shot he took in the first half.  What was his ending FG percentage?

Personally I think he didn't the ball enough.  I also didn't think he looked clumsy either.  The only problem I see is that he is too relaxed.  Like in the movie Dodgeball.....he just needs to get angry.

Also, some players peak later.  Look at Brekke from UND.  A late bloomer that played exceptionally well later in his career.  I believe his mother or aunt played at UND and was the same way.   His cousin Samatha Brekke came to LRSC and was a big time player as she matured.  I believe all Region this year going onto UND to further her playing.

There are so many Big Men that UND would take over mathison. I agree he deserved all state tournament team, but he is 6 ft 10!! He played against centers at the state tourney that were at most like 6 ft 4. He didnt even get a double double each game. He can compete in HS but not in college, how would he compete with other 6 10 posts in college? Besides he is too busy dancing after being fouled

No..he might not have got a double-double each game...but he averages a double-double for the whole tourney
NBE2007

Postby Region 2 fan » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:25 pm

In North Border's first game against Shiloh, Shiloh had a 5'10'' player on him...that is a whole foot! I mean he did go for 15 points and 15 rebounds and 4 blocks that game which is really good for Mathison.  But that's the thing...for Mathison.  He had about 6 of his points from beyond 8 feet i'd say and when you look at it that way he only had maybe 4 feild goals in the post.  That's not good for a guy that tall.  6'10'' should dominate Class B basketball.  20+ every night IMO   He will be a project at UND but that's the thing..they aren't expecting huge things out of him i'm guessing when they take him in but you never know.  I'm hoping in 4 years he'll make us all look bad when he's four times the player he is now but i think we all hope that for him.
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Swine-O » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:36 pm

The Schwab wrote:
5p1d3r wrote:

wow...you guys have pretty much blown this UND thing WAY out of proportion......UND likes his size and is thinking about signing him to be a PROJECT...you know someone who they will work with and try to make better.......give the kid his credit...
I agree with Schwabby on this one. The thing that UND looks for is size first. How often do you see a ND kid that is 6'10"? He may not look very good now but he has potential. UND looks for size, then they redshirt you for a year and get you in the weight room everyday. Then they give you a good 2 or 3 years of playing against UND's starters in practice everyday, work with you on you foot work and they turn you into a good basketball player by the time your a junior or a senior. Thats why alot of people who post on this message board have no idea what they are talking about when they say a kid is uncoordinated or too slow to play at the next level. You can make a kid quicker and improve his coordination. Don't judge a guy by him being uncoordinated for being 6'10" how do you know what the college coaches are looking for? There are some things a kid can improve on in college, such as defense, rebounding, quickness, and coordination. However there are some things that just cant be taught, like having an excellent shooting stroke or being an amazing passer. So give the Mathison kid a break, let him fully develope at UND, then in 3 years lets see where he's at!
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rumbles » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:57 pm

when is the game???
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ballaholic#3 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:07 pm

SCC wrote:
LiveForHim wrote:You dont think justin moe should make it....thats a joke....when he played healthy in games his stats were 21 and 12......he played on torin legements in the region tourney and had 27 pts 19 rebounds.....your a joke if you dont think he can make it

No arguments here...  Moe deserves a spot.

rob getzlaff anyone?
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Diamond D » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:45 am

Region 2 and 5p:  I think you guys need to go back and look at some film.  IMHO Mathison never got a chance to touch the ball enough to score the points you want him to score. 

Couple of things I noticed right away.  Mathison never got the ball as much as I would have wanted to if I was the coach.  He does what he is supposed to do everytime down the floor.   Shows good fundamentals.  Physically he has the potential (meaning he isn't just bones and skin) and once UND gets a hold of him this summer I can guarantee that boy will have dieticians and strength trainers improving upon his already large frame.

Second.  Watch how NB moves the ball and when and how they score.  Seemed to me that when they didn't successfully score unless the ball had gone to Mathison.   What I am saying is, he needed to at least touch the ball in that transition when NB scored.  Doesn't mean he shot everytime, but he touched the ball allowing other things to happen.

I am not the coach up there, so I can't speak for him, but in that first game I would have told my team that Mathison touches the ball everytime down the floor before anyone takes a shot.

Most of you have seen my other posts and I am not a big supporter of UND (went to the good school to the south :up:), but I believe we will see some good things out of Mathison over at UND.  Since my wife is a UND grad, this might just give me an excuse to actually view the Betty next year.
Diamond D

Postby Hunterlaf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:57 am

RJ Darling

Kacy Keysor

Tanner Lorenz

Jacob Wheeling

Ross Aman

Are goind to get cut
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby iceman3 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:04 am

[font=georgia]i think you guys are forgetting about jordan rising of dickinson trinity, he should be on the team this year. what do you think of him? he was also selected to the shrine and badlands bowl.[/font]
Last edited by iceman3 on Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
iceman3

Postby baller01 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:43 am

Hunterlaf wrote:RJ Darling

Kacy Keysor

Tanner Lorenz

Jacob Wheeling

Ross Aman

Are goind to get cut

No way does Wheeling get left out. He was the best senior in region 7. I don't see how he isn't one of the top 12. Aman was the top senior in region 5 as well but I would take Wheeling over Aman.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:56 am

Hunterlaf wrote:RJ Darling

Kacy Keysor

Tanner Lorenz

Jacob Wheeling

Ross Aman

Are goind to get cut

RJ wont get cut. If TI wouldnt have been in Region 4 Darling would have been SAOY. If he doesnt play, it is because he got picked for the Shrine game also.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby iceman3 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:00 am

[font=georgia]i still dont see why you guys dont bring up jordan rising. he will be chosen for this game. he is a very good player. even tho he didnt get all-state honors he is going to be in it or should be[/font]
iceman3

Postby project-pat » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:44 am

Yeah, there's no way that wheeling is left out of the mix, I agree with Rising, he has a pretty good shot at making the roster.
project-pat

Postby ndfan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:23 pm

[user=1251]Diamond D[/user] wrote:
Man, you guys don't give Mathison enough credit.  In the semi-final game he hit every shot he took in the first half.  What was his ending FG percentage?

Also, some players peak later.  Look at Brekke from UND.  A late bloomer that played exceptionally well later in his career.  I believe his mother or aunt played at UND and was the same way.   cousin Samatha Brekke came to LRSC and was a big time player as she matured.  I believe all Region this year going onto UND to further her playing.

If your referring to Steve Brekke, Samantha is his daughter not cousin.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball1981 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:23 pm

Your teams are basically made up of guards, you need some big guys...
baseball1981

Postby baseball1981 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:24 pm

BaldEagle wrote:Out of 126 Class B schools, there has to be a few centers out there. :)
There's one for Harvey that isin't bad. His team didn't make regionals though, that probably will keep him out of it.
baseball1981

Postby letsgosox » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:37 am

you want a center?? how about zach gaugler from killdeer
letsgosox

Postby boysbballfan » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:28 am

letsgosox wrote:you want a center?? how about zach gaugler from killdeer

how about no. He didn't do much out there besides stay under the hoop and wait to get open when wheeling or dufault would drive the lane.
"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"
--Vince Lombardi
boysbballfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby grizz » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:17 am

Haha good call boysbball fan. I don't think Goggler would even be considered for the Lions All-Star Team. What did he average anyway, maybe 4 pts/game? Thats probobly the max.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby BaldEagle » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:18 pm

Swine-O wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
5p1d3r wrote:

I agree with Schwabby on this one. The thing that UND looks for is size first. How often do you see a ND kid that is 6'10"? He may not look very good now but he has potential. UND looks for size, then they redshirt you for a year and get you in the weight room everyday. Then they give you a good 2 or 3 years of playing against UND's starters in practice everyday, work with you on you foot work and they turn you into a good basketball player by the time your a junior or a senior. Thats why alot of people who post on this message board have no idea what they are talking about when they say a kid is uncoordinated or too slow to play at the next level. You can make a kid quicker and improve his coordination. Don't judge a guy by him being uncoordinated for being 6'10" how do you know what the college coaches are looking for? There are some things a kid can improve on in college, such as defense, rebounding, quickness, and coordination. However there are some things that just cant be taught, like having an excellent shooting stroke or being an amazing passer. So give the Mathison kid a break, let him fully develope at UND, then in 3 years lets see where he's at!

According to this link, Mathison's official visit to UND is this weekend.

Border Tribune Link
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby fruit snack » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:29 am

after watching the state tournment out of all the centers i think mathison was about the 4 or 5 best one.......rudy was the best
fruit snack

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:43 am

fruit snack wrote:after watching the state tournment out of all the centers i think mathison was about the 4 or 5 best one.......rudy was the best

i agree hes by far not the best but im stickin by my theory that he plays just cuz he's 6'10" so he can try and gaurd qvale
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BaldEagle » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:44 am

fruit snack wrote:after watching the state tournment out of all the centers i think mathison was about the 4 or 5 best one.......rudy was the best

No arguement here, as stated before, Mathison would be a project.  If he doesn't work hard and improve, he won't be playing basketball very long.  On the other hand, no one knows if and how much he can improve.  The future will tell.  If UND recruited Rudy, would it be to play center?
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby fruit snack » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:34 am

baseball wrote:

i agree hes by far not the best but im stickin by my theory that he plays just cuz he's 6'10" so he can try and gaurd qvale

qvale would score on him everytime with ease
fruit snack

Postby fruit snack » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:35 am

BaldEagle wrote:

No arguement here, as stated before, Mathison would be a project.  If he doesn't work hard and improve, he won't be playing basketball very long.  On the other hand, no one knows if and how much he can improve.  The future will tell.  If UND recruited Rudy, would it be to play center?

idk, because rudy has good range and is a great player down low and can smack the occansional 3 pointer
fruit snack

PreviousNext

Return to Boys