State B Predictions for 2007-08 Season

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby BballFan1307 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:52 am

Region 2 fan wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:Meyer, Olsen, Smelden and Horne are all good players, they do lack a post presence but yes Olsen will be able to hold the lane well. As for Breen , i'm not sure if he will make much of an impact this year.

Olsen will hold the lane?   Wow...I think saying that's he's 6'0'' is a stretch.  yes he has some pounds to hold him down but no post moves or quickness even...i see teams scoring 30+ points in the paint on them

well i guarantee nobody will push him around down there
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:02 pm

Free Hugs wrote:How about Linton, arent they usally good? Could they make it?

I think Lamoure is the by far favorite to come out of a relatively weak region 3 again this yr. However, Linton has one of the best coaches in the state and watch for them to make some noise late in the season as they always tend to do.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:25 am

Dakota Prairie I think is going to be a popular pre-season pick to win Region II.  Gus Kueber coming over to play for them this year is really going to give them match up nightmares for their opponents.  It will all come down to them being able to play together and have balance like North Border did last year.  The Eagles are the champs until someone takes it from them but I think Dakota Prairie with the addition of Kueber makes them a legitimate contender
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 am

Region 2 fan wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:Meyer, Olsen, Smelden and Horne are all good players, they do lack a post presence but yes Olsen will be able to hold the lane well. As for Breen , i'm not sure if he will make much of an impact this year.

Olsen will hold the lane?   Wow...I think saying that's he's 6'0'' is a stretch.  yes he has some pounds to hold him down but no post moves or quickness even...i see teams scoring 30+ points in the paint on them

Have you ever watched Hillsboro play? I am not even sure if a lot of teams will score thirty on them all game. I am not saying their defense is that good but their offense is so patient (at times you could call it stall ball) that the oppenents offense doesn't have a chance to put up a lot of points. Hiillsboro will lack height but I think they will make regionals and give the top teams some competition.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:26 pm

horne98 wrote:
Region 2 fan wrote:

Have you ever watched Hillsboro play? I am not even sure if a lot of teams will score thirty on them all game. I am not saying their defense is that good but their offense is so patient (at times you could call it stall ball) that the oppenents offense doesn't have a chance to put up a lot of points. Hiillsboro will lack height but I think they will make regionals and give the top teams some competition.
I hate when teams play like that.  They aren't talented enough to stay on the court so they hold the ball for a minute every time they get the ball and wait for the other team to forget they are even playing basketball.  Some people say they are just patient and are working their offense but for the first 45 seconds of the time they have the ball they usually don't even look at the basket.  They will make regionals this year because district three is going to be pretty weak this year outside of DP, Larimore, and H-N.  MPCG is going to struggle with the new faces getting in the game, Thompson has no experience coming back, Central Valley has been pretty weak for awhile and lost Delvo, Brend and Novacek last year. 
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Region 2 fan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:20 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
horne98 wrote:
Region 2 fan wrote:

I hate when teams play like that.  They aren't talented enough to stay on the court so they hold the ball for a minute every time they get the ball and wait for the other team to forget they are even playing basketball.  Some people say they are just patient and are working their offense but for the first 45 seconds of the time they have the ball they usually don't even look at the basket.  They will make regionals this year because district three is going to be pretty weak this year outside of DP, Larimore, and H-N.  MPCG is going to struggle with the new faces getting in the game, Thompson has no experience coming back, Central Valley has been pretty weak for awhile and lost Delvo, Brend and Novacek last year. 
Yes, I've watched Hillsboro play. We are talkin the 2007 season here, not the 1977 season with Ed Bauer as the coach.  Teams scored on Hillsboro last year, plenty actually, and the same will happen this year. 
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby hammer63 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:31 pm

I really think the team to beat in Region 2 is Dakota Prairie. They have four guys in Severson Frederick Nichols and Kueber who could all score 20 in a game, Joe Lukens is a great defensive player but needs to improve his postplay on the offense side. They also have two great sophmores in Tyler Luering and Kyle Lamb. they are the most balanced team in the region. I think most teams will zone them leaving the "BIG Four" to shoot threes with Lukens in the middle. which they all can shoot the three. the only team that comes close is Grafton, but with their size and shot making ability i think they are better than Grafton.
hammer63

Postby Region 2 fan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:32 pm

hammer63 wrote:I really think the team to beat in Region 2 is Dakota Prairie. They have four guys in Severson Frederick Nichols and Kueber who could all score 20 in a game, Joe Lukens is a great defensive player but needs to improve his postplay on the offense side. They also have two great sophmores in Tyler Luering and Kyle Lamb. they are the most balanced team in the region. I think most teams will zone them leaving the "BIG Four" to shoot threes with Lukens in the middle. which they all can shoot the three. the only team that comes close is Grafton, but with their size and shot making ability i think they are better than Grafton.

Are you kidding me?  This kid is a joke.  He goes for every block and probably blocks 3 out of every 10 and the other 4 out of the 10 he'll get called for a foul  and the other 3 he'll just completely miss.  And we're talkin when he's trying to block a 5'8'' guy.  Stick a 6'0'' with him who can be an average player on a JV team and he'll own Lukens all night long.  As for foot speed, well there is no foot speed so why talk about it.  I played this kid in JV last year and he's not good.
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby hammer63 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:07 am

I just remeber watching mayville JV game and he was doing better than Baldwin, then Baldwin got in on Varsity and did very well against their varsity post. He is fast though I saw him run in track, I think Hatton Northwood JV team last year with Kueber, Prosser, and Co. was just as good as their varsity. I wondered what that coach was doing not playing Kueber and Prosser on varsity now their both gone so that throws any chance of Hatton Northwood being competitive out the window. Back to Lukens I think you underestimate him, he would have been playing on some squads last year. His defense is good but mostly because he blocks shots but if he does get in foul trouble alot then that is a problem.
hammer63

Postby Region 2 fan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:36 am

Time will tell I guess for how he'll hold up.  I respect what you have seen of him and what I have seen of him.  It is an interesting subject on this Dakota Prairie team.  They started school this year with the basketball team probably being 3rd or so in the district and making it to regionals.  Then, within days, Kueber and Lukens are enrolled there.  Now that makes them a region championship contender.
Region 2 fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nadal11 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:57 pm

Region 2 fan wrote:
hammer63 wrote:I really think the team to beat in Region 2 is Dakota Prairie. They have four guys in Severson Frederick Nichols and Kueber who could all score 20 in a game, Joe Lukens is a great defensive player but needs to improve his postplay on the offense side. They also have two great sophmores in Tyler Luering and Kyle Lamb. they are the most balanced team in the region. I think most teams will zone them leaving the "BIG Four" to shoot threes with Lukens in the middle. which they all can shoot the three. the only team that comes close is Grafton, but with their size and shot making ability i think they are better than Grafton.

Are you kidding me?  This kid is a joke.  He goes for every block and probably blocks 3 out of every 10 and the other 4 out of the 10 he'll get called for a foul  and the other 3 he'll just completely miss.  And we're talkin when he's trying to block a 5'8'' guy.  Stick a 6'0'' with him who can be an average player on a JV team and he'll own Lukens all night long.  As for foot speed, well there is no foot speed so why talk about it.  I played this kid in JV last year and he's not good.
Seth Frederick!  haha, give me a break...this team is good, but not that good!
nadal11

Postby pakkyzoo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:12 pm

nadal11 wrote:
Region 2 fan wrote:

He probably averaged a little under 10 points last year.  Not bad, but nothing great.  He really came on late during districts.  I think he will be a suprise player on the team.  I dont know how you can say give me a break.  He is definately a player that deserves to be out on the floor and doesn't hurt the team one bit.  He will be a perimeter threat along wiht severson and Kueber.  Kueber will also work down lown.  I expect to see a lot of high tempo basketball.  Nichols runs the floor extremely well.  He should build on his last years performance of leading the district in scoring.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby MLCFB » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:22 am

Region 2 fan wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
horne98 wrote:
Region 2 fan wrote:

Yes, I've watched Hillsboro play. We are talkin the 2007 season here, not the 1977 season with Ed Bauer as the coach.  Teams scored on Hillsboro last year, plenty actually, and the same will happen this year. 

You call yourself a Region 2 fan, which means you are a fan of the teams from down to Hillsboro all the way up to Grafton.  And you dont know how to spell the name of probably the greatest coach of Region 2, if not the state.  You are doing a really poor job of talking smack. 

MLCFB

Postby PA42 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
Region 2 fan wrote:

He probably averaged a little under 10 points last year.  Not bad, but nothing great.  He really came on late during districts.  I think he will be a suprise player on the team.  I dont know how you can say give me a break.  He is definately a player that deserves to be out on the floor and doesn't hurt the team one bit.  He will be a perimeter threat along wiht severson and Kueber.  Kueber will also work down lown.  I expect to see a lot of high tempo basketball.  Nichols runs the floor extremely well.  He should build on his last years performance of leading the district in scoring.
who is dakota prairie's coach?
PA42

Postby R3fan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:25 pm

horne98 wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
Region 2 fan wrote:

I"m not sure of his name, but he is a new coach that they just hired this year. He seemed pretty nice and knew the game when i talked to him this summer
R3fan

Postby pakkyzoo » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:54 pm

R3fan wrote:
horne98 wrote:
pakkyzoo wrote:
nadal11 wrote:
Region 2 fan wrote:

I"m not sure of his name, but he is a new coach that they just hired this year. He seemed pretty nice and knew the game when i talked to him this summer

This year it is going to be co-coaches.  The JV coach from last year, Randy Severson, will be one of the coaches.  The other will be a first year coach, his name is Rich Danielson.
pakkyzoo
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:20 pm

why did Herman stop coaching after just one year back?  did they know it was just a one year thing until they found someone or was there more to it?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby WHITE » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:34 pm

he was the superintendent last year and i was told that last year if someone hadnt stepped in to coach that he would do it for the guys....... he taught those kids alot about bball and we should look for great things from the knights this year
"W-H-I-T...E"
"Cram it up your cramhole LaFleur.."
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood"
WHITE
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Luke_J32 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:24 pm

The thing with Hermann was he wanted to work at Gerells in Devils Lake kinda of a semi retirement from teaching. No one fired him thats for sure the coaches now Danielson and Severson are both very smart and know the game of basketball. Severson was Hermann's assistant last year so I am pretty sure he knows everything that Hermann did and knows how to coach.
Luke_J32

Postby District_Guru » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:23 pm

Region 2 fan wrote:Time will tell I guess for how he'll hold up.  I respect what you have seen of him and what I have seen of him.  It is an interesting subject on this Dakota Prairie team.  They started school this year with the basketball team probably being 3rd or so in the district and making it to regionals.  Then, within days, Kueber and Lukens are enrolled there.  Now that makes them a region championship contender.

Dakota Priaire really is the dark horse in the State, because when you can field a frontline of 6'6" at each of the F and C positons, you have to take notice.  I am on a coaching staff, as a volunteer, at a college and we were talking about this very subject.  They could win the district, and lose it just as easily, there are a couple factors:

1.)  The coaches, if Herman were there, this wouldn't be an issue, because he can get the most out of players, but can the new coaches get all the talent to mesh while taking advantage off all the skills that Kueber, Nichols, and the other kids have?

2.)  Will they play defense?  The Knights don't have a history of being great on D for as long as anyone can remember, and Kueber wasn't that great at it as a sophomore.  That can change, because defense is just hard work, and following a couple body positioning rules in the end.  If they want it, this will come.

3.)  Can Lukens defend the post and block shots to protect the middle the way he did in JV?  This is probably more of a factor if they get to regions, and if the first two don't happen, then this doesn't matter.  Will he be stronger?  Does he have relible post moves?  He never really got a chance to show us in the H-N system, since they played a lot of guard-based offense.  He has TONS of athletic ability(6'6", fast, can jump), but not enough strength last we saw, and his off-ball play needed work (most shots he blocked were on-ball).  If he plays solid and can guard the bigs for the other team (most teams won't have more than one guy over 6'4"). Maybe average 7 points, 7 rebounds, a steal, and a couple blocks, so that Severson, Frederick, Nichols and Kueber can defend lesser players and be aggressive on defense, and leave the grunt work to him, they will be scary good in a weaker Region 2. 
Last edited by District_Guru on Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
District_Guru

Postby heartstopper » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:45 pm

Will DP have 2 or 3 guys starting over 6'6"?
heartstopper

Postby R3fan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:53 pm

heartstopper wrote:Will DP have 2 or 3 guys starting over 6'6"?

3, but kueber is at 6'4 maybe 6'5 but very talented
R3fan

Postby heartstopper » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:10 pm

R3fan wrote:
heartstopper wrote:Will DP have 2 or 3 guys starting over 6'6"?

k got ya thanks
heartstopper

Postby District_Guru » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:12 pm

[user=4613]R3fan[/user] wrote:
[user=3726]heartstopper[/user] wrote:

k got ya thanks

Actually, word is Kueber had a growth spurt over the summer.  I guess one of the coaches has a contact that said he is taller than Lukens now, and he still plays the 3. 
Last edited by District_Guru on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
District_Guru

Postby R3fan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:46 pm

District_Guru wrote:
[user=4613]R3fan[/user] wrote:
[user=3726]heartstopper[/user] wrote:

k got ya thanks

Actually, word is Kueber had a growth spurt over the summer.  I guess one of the coaches has a contact that said he is taller than Lukens now, and he still plays the 3. 
nah a little maybe 1/2 to 1" up to 6'5 tho, he's a close friendand i talk to him all the time so maybe just that much id say
R3fan

PreviousNext

Return to Boys