College

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NBE2007 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:29 pm

Yeah..I wasn't aware that there was a DT vs NB game...completely blew past me. And he's going to UND not NDSU...it helps to READ the previous posts before posting one of your own.
Last edited by NBE2007 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NBE2007

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:57 pm

carolina blue wrote:sorry but mike mathison is not very good for being 6'10". during the trinity game, tyler barth was pushing mathison out of the lane almost everytime mathison attempted to post up. barth is like 6'2". mathison should dominate class b cuz there are not many 6'6" bball players, let alone 6'10" to guard him.

i wasn't motivated to read all the previous posts but i saw something about ndsu and him. if he cant dominate in class, there is no way he can play at ndsu
hahaha....are you kidding me.....was this a make believe game that happened in your mind?.....maybe you should know even a little bit about what the heck your talking about before you post garbage like this....and about the college...well at least you were in the right state......wow......i know i've said this alot over the last couple of days......but "Dumbest Post I've Read in along time".
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby bisonslayer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:30 pm

Swine-O wrote:
bisonslayer wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
jetblue12 wrote:
bisonslayer wrote:
thatoneperson wrote:Mike Mathison has not grown into his height and he is still growing you try being 6'10 in 2 years!!!If he goes to UND they will work his butt off and they will get him to be where they want him to be!

I have been to a handful of UND games, Mathison has NO chance to play. Hes to slow and is to unathletic. Sioux are gonna be D-1,  and even if he goes their to play, he will have no part in their transition to D-1.

i agree with you....

careful the north border people think hes an impact player.......
Actually we've never said anything about how Big Mike is an amazing basketball player or one of the top players in the state.  We just continue to tell people that just because he isn't dominate and he's 6'10 that doesn't mean he isn't good.  He's a very good free throw shooter for any big man, especially one that tall.  We also just tell you that it would be hard for anyone who started HS at SIX FOOT TWO and ended it at SIX FOOT TEN.  He grew 5 inches from his Freshmen to Sophomore year and 3 more from his Sophomore to Junior year.  I still think he could play at UND because there is a chance that they will work on his speed and footwork when he gets there.  Usually thats what coaches do with their players is work on what they aren't good at.  Well, since Mathison has poor footwork and isn't fast enough for a big man, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll work on that when he gets there and won't put him on the court until he's ready.  We aren't saying that he's going to be a 4 year starter and lead them to that National Championship but he can't be much worse then Benter and Gutter!
Come on Benter??? Benter is alot more athletic then Mathiason, Benter All-state tight end that shows athleticism right there. But ok back to Mathiason, UND is goin D-1 they want to bring in kids that are ready to go.  Coaches cant teach athleticism, they can teach fundamentals but cant teach speed and qucikness. MR.BASKETBALL TYLER KOENIG struggles at times with bein to slow but makes up for it with shooting (something mathiason doesnt have) and rebounding, granted he has bad knees, but if a Mr. Basketball isn't that great what is a maybe raw potential going to be like. Its all speculation and prediction but I just dont  see him making it there.

Come on now, Tyler Koenig not that great???? I've been watching him play since he was in the 6th grade and he used to be absolutely dominant. That's why he went D1 to Wisconson Milwaukee and Started as a true freshman. But then he had knee pain and the coaches there urged him to play through when he should have had surgery, which basically ruined his knee. He's lucky he can still run let alone play basketball and he still dominates at times for UND. so how can you possibly say that he "isn't that great"????????

He isnt that great because of what you just said and what i said. His bad knees slow him down. If he was that "great" he would be better at the D-2 level.  High school I liked watching him to and he was dominant. I was simply using Koenig as an example that UND is no joke and that guys like Mathiason can't play there. Koenig is  good. but he isnt great.
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Swine-O » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:14 am

bisonslayer wrote:
Swine-O wrote:
bisonslayer wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
jetblue12 wrote:
bisonslayer wrote:
thatoneperson wrote:Mike Mathison has not grown into his height and he is still growing you try being 6'10 in 2 years!!!If he goes to UND they will work his butt off and they will get him to be where they want him to be!

I have been to a handful of UND games, Mathison has NO chance to play. Hes to slow and is to unathletic. Sioux are gonna be D-1,  and even if he goes their to play, he will have no part in their transition to D-1.

i agree with you....

careful the north border people think hes an impact player.......
Actually we've never said anything about how Big Mike is an amazing basketball player or one of the top players in the state.  We just continue to tell people that just because he isn't dominate and he's 6'10 that doesn't mean he isn't good.  He's a very good free throw shooter for any big man, especially one that tall.  We also just tell you that it would be hard for anyone who started HS at SIX FOOT TWO and ended it at SIX FOOT TEN.  He grew 5 inches from his Freshmen to Sophomore year and 3 more from his Sophomore to Junior year.  I still think he could play at UND because there is a chance that they will work on his speed and footwork when he gets there.  Usually thats what coaches do with their players is work on what they aren't good at.  Well, since Mathison has poor footwork and isn't fast enough for a big man, I'm going to go out on a limb and say they'll work on that when he gets there and won't put him on the court until he's ready.  We aren't saying that he's going to be a 4 year starter and lead them to that National Championship but he can't be much worse then Benter and Gutter!
Come on Benter??? Benter is alot more athletic then Mathiason, Benter All-state tight end that shows athleticism right there. But ok back to Mathiason, UND is goin D-1 they want to bring in kids that are ready to go.  Coaches cant teach athleticism, they can teach fundamentals but cant teach speed and qucikness. MR.BASKETBALL TYLER KOENIG struggles at times with bein to slow but makes up for it with shooting (something mathiason doesnt have) and rebounding, granted he has bad knees, but if a Mr. Basketball isn't that great what is a maybe raw potential going to be like. Its all speculation and prediction but I just dont  see him making it there.

Come on now, Tyler Koenig not that great???? I've been watching him play since he was in the 6th grade and he used to be absolutely dominant. That's why he went D1 to Wisconson Milwaukee and Started as a true freshman. But then he had knee pain and the coaches there urged him to play through when he should have had surgery, which basically ruined his knee. He's lucky he can still run let alone play basketball and he still dominates at times for UND. so how can you possibly say that he "isn't that great"????????

He isnt that great because of what you just said and what i said. His bad knees slow him down. If he was that "great" he would be better at the D-2 level.  High school I liked watching him to and he was dominant. I was simply using Koenig as an example that UND is no joke and that guys like Mathiason can't play there. Koenig is  good. but he isnt great.

My Bad. I thought you were trying to imply that if a Mr. Basketball can't dominate at D2 than Mathison is gonna struggle without taking into account Koenig's knee injury.

Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mauer07 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:48 pm

does anyone know where Tate Kick or Justin Belahvok will be going??
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:20 pm

carolina blue wrote:sorry but mike mathison is not very good for being 6'10". during the trinity game, tyler barth was pushing mathison out of the lane almost everytime mathison attempted to post up. barth is like 6'2". mathison should dominate class b cuz there are not many 6'6" bball players, let alone 6'10" to guard him.

i wasn't motivated to read all the previous posts but i saw something about ndsu and him. if he cant dominate in class, there is no way he can play at ndsu

Yeah I don't remember Mathison getting much done in the Dickinson Trinity game.  But that probably has something to do with the fact that the only time North Border and Dickinson Trinity have competed in basketball was in 2001 and I believe he was a 6th grader at that time.  He probably won't get to play much at NDSU either but again, that probably has something to do with him going to UND and never talking to NDSU about basketball.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndsubisonfan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:24 pm

I believe Belahvok is going to Mary, and Kick is still undecided
ndsubisonfan

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:31 pm

ndsubisonfan wrote:I believe Belahvok is going to Mary, and Kick is still undecided

chea belohaveck commited to Mary
project-pat

Postby region 2 opinion » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Why don't we all just wait and see for a bit here. None of you know what it takes to develop a big guy. UND has some very good new coaches that have a little more experience and knowledge than all of us put together.  They think Mathison can develop into a player there and who are we to question that. If they are interested enough to put time into him who are we to argue. I truely believe he will develop into a player there too but none of you believe it so why don't we just wait and see and quit bashing him. Noone expects him to walk onto the court and dominate, but lets see what happens in a couple years. You can't teach 6'10". Some of you guys think you know everything and you don't know and it drives me crazy. Be patient!!
Last edited by region 2 opinion on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
region 2 opinion
NDPreps Starter

Postby region 2 opinion » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:21 pm

NBE2007 wrote:Yeah..I wasn't aware that there was a DT vs NB game...completely blew past me. And he's going to UND not NDSU...it helps to READ the previous posts before posting one of your own.

WOW, SOME GUYS ON HERE ARE COMPLETELY CLUELESS. THOUGHT SWINE O HAD A LITTLE TO LEARN BUT CAROLINA BLUE PROVED TO BE THE MOST CLUELESS GUY IN ND IF NOT THE WHOLE US. YOU ARE OFF  THE HOOK SWINE O AS LONG AS CAROLINA BLUE IS ON!!
Last edited by region 2 opinion on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
region 2 opinion
NDPreps Starter

Postby Swine-O » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:58 am

How am I off the hook? Because I am stating my own opinion? If you don't like what I have to say than don't read it, it's as simple as that. You don't have to go over to other topics and cry about it!
Last edited by Swine-O on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fightingsioux20 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:02 pm

Anybody from Wells County playing college ball
fightingsioux20
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:54 pm

This is just a rumor but I heard that Luke Lorenz is going to Mayville State.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsperson » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

region 2 opinion wrote:Why don't we all just wait and see for a bit here. None of you know what it takes to develop a big guy. UND has some very good new coaches that have a little more experience and knowledge than all of us put together.  They think Mathison can develop into a player there and who are we to question that. If they are interested enough to put time into him who are we to argue. I truely believe he will develop into a player there too but none of you believe it so why don't we just wait and see and quit bashing him. Noone expects him to walk onto the court and dominate, but lets see what happens in a couple years. You can't teach 6'10". Some of you guys think you know everything and you don't know sh%$ and it drives me crazy. Be patient!!

You know what drives me crazy? Watching a 6'10" guy with unlimited potential waste it by not putting time into his game. Maybe I'm out of line for saying that because there's no way I can know for sure but after watching him at the state tourney it's pretty obvious to me that he hasn't. I know about a thousand guys who would do anything to have his size and he's done nothing with it. Why should he get to play college ball? How many hours has he spent in a gym working on his game? Just my take.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:38 pm

region 2 opinion wrote:Why don't we all just wait and see for a bit here. None of you know what it takes to develop a big guy. UND has some very good new coaches that have a little more experience and knowledge than all of us put together.  They think Mathison can develop into a player there and who are we to question that. If they are interested enough to put time into him who are we to argue. I truely believe he will develop into a player there too but none of you believe it so why don't we just wait and see and quit bashing him. Noone expects him to walk onto the court and dominate, but lets see what happens in a couple years. You can't teach 6'10". Some of you guys think you know everything and you don't know sh%$ and it drives me crazy. Be patient!!

What's with the all-bold? Is that supposed to make us think long and hard about your post? Haha, I don't get it.

Anyways, I saw Mathison at the state tournament and I didn't think he was that great for being 6-10. Someone said he could do better than Benter or he could do just as well. I watched Benter play in high school and Benter would have eaten this kid alive.

Mathison struggles with his size and his feet are very slow. He should have ran track in the spring or something to help his speed.

If he's 6-10, then I'm guessing he went to a lot of camps and stuff? Did he play AAU ball? He should be spending all of his free time in gyms.

First time I saw Mathison, I thought he was a sophomore because of how uncoordinated he was. He reminded me of Minot Ryan's Mitch Mayer when Mayer was a sophomore. Mayer would use Mathison pretty good, and even Mayer wasn't that great for his size.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basketball43 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:28 am

Does anyone know where Jacob Wheeling from Killdeer is going to college?
basketball43

Postby BaldEagle » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:27 am

Wildcat wrote:What's with the all-bold? Is that supposed to make us think long and hard about your post? Haha, I don't get it.

Anyways, I saw Mathison at the state tournament and I didn't think he was that great for being 6-10. Someone said he could do better than Benter or he could do just as well. I watched Benter play in high school and Benter would have eaten this kid alive.

Mathison struggles with his size and his feet are very slow. He should have ran track in the spring or something to help his speed.

If he's 6-10, then I'm guessing he went to a lot of camps and stuff? Did he play AAU ball? He should be spending all of his free time in gyms.

First time I saw Mathison, I thought he was a sophomore because of how uncoordinated he was. He reminded me of Minot Ryan's Mitch Mayer when Mayer was a sophomore. Mayer would use Mathison pretty good, and even Mayer wasn't that great for his size.

He just might not be going to college to play basketball.  I admire his determination to go out and play basketball, although not being the most gifted player out there.  Opening himself up to the critics, but still having fun.  The North Border people accept him for who he is, not who people think he should be.
BaldEagle
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatoneperson » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:31 am

Wildcat wrote:

What's with the all-bold? Is that supposed to make us think long and hard about your post? Haha, I don't get it.

You try being 6'10 in 2 years!!!You would be in the same situation as him!He has gotten better than he was!And yes he has been at alot of camps last summer he was on some team with Luke Lorenz.
thatoneperson
NDPreps Rookie

Postby PA42 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 am

yeah i guess he played one tournament with an aau team in the spring but then played with north border in the summer.
PA42

Postby region 2 opinion » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:49 am

horne98 wrote:yeah i guess he played one tournament with an aau team in the spring but then played with north border in the summer.

He played AAU all summer with Lorenz and Moe from PR
region 2 opinion
NDPreps Starter

Postby thesports_guy32 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:41 am

Just heard from Dicky V himself that Duke is recruiting DAVID CARIGNAN of North Border!!!!!!!! HOW CRAZY IS THAT?!?!?!  He didn't even play basketball in high school!! THE KID WAS A WRESTLER!!!!! He's got skills though... shoots the 3 like Reddick, sees the floor like Lebron, passes like Nash, has a smooth jumper like Carmello, and dunks like Vince Carter.... PREPARE FOR TOTAL DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!
thesports_guy32

Postby shooter » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:19 am

Jones is a great coach for a big man.  Mathison has A LOT to learn, there is no doubt, but it just seems to me that there are a lot of jealous people out there because their own pathetic hs careers never gave them the opportunity to go to a D1 school.  The kid can't help the fact that he needed to learn to walk the past couple years let alone become a stud ball player.  Once he quit growing, he started working.  That's why he played AAU all summer with Lorenz, Moe, Qualing(? not sure of spelling).  A redshirt year, one more, and he'll get an opportunity.   That's more than most of you guys ever got or will get, so lay off.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:54 am

i mean i was the first to say give Mathison credit for putting some work in. BUt come on. At best he is a second option at center as a junior or senior year.
OK since everyone is trying to act like college recruiters lets look at strengths and weeknesses.

Strengths:Size, Work Ethic, His ability facing the basket, rebounding, good finisher, can hit open shots within fifteen feet, and has a good attitude/

Weeknesses: Strength, Natural athletic ability, Post Moves, Conditioning, a defense liability, offense with back to the basket, penetration on the block, defensive positioning, and overall agressiveness.

Overall: A project.
Last edited by PA42 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby shooter » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:22 am

I agree with most of it, and yes, definitely a project, but a project with upside more than just a body.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:26 am

agreed
PA42

PreviousNext

Return to Boys