Mr Basketball 2007

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby philshometown » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:33 am

BISMARCK, N.D.
Seven players have been named finalists for North Dakota Mr. Basketball.
The award, to be announced Saturday after the state Class B title game, is given by members of the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.
The finalists are Justin Belohlavek of Mandan, Tate Kick of Dickinson, Brian Qvale of Williston, Jordan Wilhelm of Bismarck, Tony Ironheart of Four Winds, Mark Bakkum of Steele-Dawson and Luke Lorenz of Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg.
Their numbers, rounded to the nearest half:
Belohlavek averaged 25.5 points, six rebounds and four assists per game.
Kick averaged 22.5 points, 10 rebounds and two steals.
Qvale averaged 20 points, 10.5 rebounds, three blocks and three assists.
Wilhelm averaged 20 points, nine rebounds and two assists.
Ironheart averaged 22.5 points, five rebounds and nine assists.
Bakkum averaged 24 points, nine rebounds and eight assists.
Lorenz averaged 18 points, nine rebounds and two steals.
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby rumbles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:40 am

philshometown wrote:BISMARCK, N.D.
The award, to be announced Saturday after the state Class B title game, is given by members of the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.
The finalists are Justin Belohlavek of Mandan, Tate Kick of Dickinson, Brian Qvale of Williston, Jordan Wilhelm of Bismarck, Tony Ironheart of Four Winds, Mark Bakkum of Steele-Dawson and Luke Lorenz of Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg.
WOW..... Sizer averaged 26 points, 13.2 rebounds and 1.1 steals and his team went to state
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tigger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:47 am

Don't go picking on Mr. Lorenz just because your guy didn't make the list.  Luke's stats are deceiving because his team plays a low scoring style and depends greatly on their defense.  Luke is a top defender and 18 ppg is pretty good for that system that produces a lot less points than other teams score.  I'm not saying that he can/will win the award, but his name definitely belongs up there.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rumbles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:29 am

Tigger wrote:Don't go picking on Mr. Lorenz just because your guy didn't make the list.  Luke's stats are deceiving because his team plays a low scoring style and depends greatly on their defense.  Luke is a top defender and 18 ppg is pretty good for that system that produces a lot less points than other teams score.  I'm not saying that he can/will win the award, but his name definitely belongs up there.
and sizer's doesnt
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby A - Football Fan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:40 am

I don't know much about anything but what are the 4 year averages of these guys? This might tell more of the tale than anything else.... also don't look too much into an award that is given by the sportscasters because your guy might not get as much press as the guys listed and therefore is easily overlooked come ballot time.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:52 am

rumbles wrote:
Tigger wrote:Don't go picking on Mr. Lorenz just because your guy didn't make the list.  Luke's stats are deceiving because his team plays a low scoring style and depends greatly on their defense.  Luke is a top defender and 18 ppg is pretty good for that system that produces a lot less points than other teams score.  I'm not saying that he can/will win the award, but his name definitely belongs up there.
and sizer's doesnt

I don't think the question is does Sizer belong or not, I think the question is where to put him? There already 7 canidates and that already is a lot. Look at last year with Jeff Smith. He averaged 29 pts a game and wasn't a finalists. Sizer is a great player but I think it hurts him playing for BCN. If he played for DT, Shiloh, Linton, Minot Ryan, Hazen someplace like that where there is a tradition there and media coverage, I think he would be up for it.
Last edited by baller01 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tigger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:09 am

I wasn't saying Sizer doesn't belong, but I'd never heard of him until I saw him mentioned in the Forum today.  He probably doesn't benefit from playing on a BCN team that is in its first state appearance and probably has a limited media coverage.  Luke has a first team All-State and state tourney MVP on his resume, so he's a known quantity which probably helped him get on the ballot.  SCC said Minnesota had 20 candidates, so maybe we should expand our ballot too.  Would you like a system of all the region POY's plus a few wildcards?  There'd be plenty of candidates, but maybe it wouldn't mean as much.  We'll hear all about the 7 up for it this year, but can you name the 20 from Minnesota off the top of your head?
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rumbles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:20 am

i hate how the media gives an unfair advantage like that. thats why class a players always win the award
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tigger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:28 am

Class B teams get media coverage too.  Some Class B areas are very well represented with radio and newspaper coverage, but they are overlooked/overshadowed by the sheer volume of Class A media outlets.  I'm sure that Class A media votes for Class B players and vice versa for the most part.  If there is a contingent of people that only back one class, I'm sure they would be in the minority.  So, don't go hating all the media.  There are just some areas that can't support the amount of coverage that other areas can, and you can't fault people for voting what they know.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:51 am

I think Sizer definately belongs on this list.  He has some pretty impressive stats over his career.  I also think Bakkum should get the award.  His stats are more balanced, but I know he won't because his team didn't go to state and he won't get the media coverage.  I'm guessing Kick will get the award because he led his team to a state championship.  I don't think Qvale should get it....I know he's going DI but if you're almost 7 ft you should be more dominant than his stats have been.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby web17 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:04 am

i just hope one of these two will win it.
web17
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tigger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:14 am

you mention the media as a disadvantage for class b players....how about 4 extra minutes and a shot clock to beef up stats?
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball1981 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:18 am

Tigger wrote:you mention the media as a disadvantage for class b players....how about 4 extra minutes and a shot clock to beef up stats?
Excellent point, I think this award is going to be gone after a couple years, especially if they move to a 3 class system.
baseball1981

Postby cdub1 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:50 am

Tigger wrote:you mention the media as a disadvantage for class b players....how about 4 extra minutes and a shot clock to beef up stats?

look at the advantage for b players then playing about 10 games against crappy teams playing with bad players where you can shoot whenever you want and also for lorenz i bet he scores a higher percentage of his team's points than ironheart so that isnt a good argument i would say lorenz gets about 40 percent with ironheart around 25

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 am

SCC wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

look at the advantage for b players then playing about 10 games against crappy teams playing with bad players where you can shoot whenever you want and also for lorenz i bet he scores a higher percentage of his team's points than ironheart so that isnt a good argument i would say lorenz gets about 40 percent with ironheart around 25

Four Winds scores a lot more points than MPCG.  It's hard to make a comparison.  Two completely different styles of play...

ya i did that with the class a players also i would say belohlavek and bakkum score the highest percentage of their teams points when mpcg scores it is usually lorenz doing it unlike four winds

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby iceman3 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:56 am

[font=georgia]tony ironheart is a mr.basketball candidate??? right[/font]
iceman3

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:01 am

Just because he didn't have a stellar first game of this tourney doesn't mean you can count him out for what he's done all year and for his career.  He did carry FW to the state tourney.  He absolutely dominated the districts and regions and carried them on his back.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:03 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Just because he didn't have a stellar first game of this tourney doesn't mean you can count him out for what he's done all year and for his career.  He did carry FW to the state tourney.  He absolutely dominated the districts and regions and carried them on his back.

he pretty much needs to have about 35 a game for the rest of the tourney to have even a small chance at mr. basketball because many of the voters are gonna look purely at wut he does at the tourney because not all have seen him play

cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bisonslayer » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:17 am

Sizer single handily took a cinderella team to the state B, averaged nearly 27 points. Can't even break into the top 7 in the state????? What else does a kid have to do?
North Dakota Preps JV Enforcer
bisonslayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby jetblue12 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:44 am

rumbles wrote:
WOW..... Sizer averaged 26 points, 13.2 rebounds and 1.1 steals and his team went to state

sadly lorenz would of been nominated if he averaged 10pts, 4reb , and 1 st
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby rumbles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:51 am

bisonslayer wrote:Sizer single handily took a cinderella team to the state B, averaged nearly 27 points. Can't even break into the top 7 in the state????? What else does a kid have to do?
and was 2nd in rebounds in the state none of the other class b players nominated averaged a double-double
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jetblue12 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:54 am

SCC wrote:
jetblue12 wrote:
rumbles wrote:

sadly lorenz would of been nominated if he averaged 10pts, 4reb , and 1 st

An interesting thought, but I strongly disagree.

just throwing it out there, i think he would of, just after last year.....  the media likes him quite a bit also....
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tigger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:57 am

cdub1 wrote:

Most teams don't get to play 10 games against crappy competition, and you can't tell me that there aren't any easy opponents in Class A.  Plus, almost half the teams in the state get to the state A tournament, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard "well, he didn't go to state" used against a Class B player.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rumbles » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Tigger wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

Most teams don't get to play 10 games against crappy competition, and you can't tell me that there aren't any easy opponents in Class A.  Plus, almost half the teams in the state get to the state A tournament, and I can't tell you how many times I've heard "well, he didn't go to state" used against a Class B player.
no kidding
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsperson » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:06 pm

baller01 wrote:
rumbles wrote:
Tigger wrote:Don't go picking on Mr. Lorenz just because your guy didn't make the list.  Luke's stats are deceiving because his team plays a low scoring style and depends greatly on their defense.  Luke is a top defender and 18 ppg is pretty good for that system that produces a lot less points than other teams score.  I'm not saying that he can/will win the awnard, but his name definitely belongs up there.
and sizer's doesnt

I don't think the question is does Sizer belong or not, I think the question is where to put him? There already 7 canidates and that already is a lot. Look at last year with Jeff Smith. He averaged 29 pts a game and wasn't a finalists. Sizer is a great player but I think it hurts him playing for BCN. If he played for DT, Shiloh, Linton, Minot Ryan, Hazen someplace like that where there is a tradition there and media coverage, I think he would be up for it.

Using Jeff Smith as an example doesn't really make any sense seeing as how there were only 4 other canidates last year. So I'd have to think there was plenty of room for him.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys