Shot Clock?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Favor of Shot Clock

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes : 111

Postby Ming01 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:22 pm

class b desperately needs to get a shot clock, i can't stand watching low scoring games, i remember seeing some scores like 7-7 end of the 1st and like 19-13 at half... so boring
Ming01
NDPreps Legend

Postby Larrylegend33 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:19 pm

I honestly don't believe that Class B needs a shot clock.  Parshall, Four Winds, and many other teams still like to run and gun.  Trinity is the exception, not the rule.  People usually mention Trinity when they complain about low-scoring Class B games, but I don't think that THS could have won any other way this year.  They had to D-up and run a patient offense to win this year.  Grinsteinner deserves a ton of credit for getting the most out of his players.  THS will always play hard-nosed D, but they'd also put more points on the board if they had the firepower.  This year, they did not. 
Larrylegend33
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ilove_basketball » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:35 pm

no there should not be
ilove_basketball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Swine-O » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:45 pm

jetblue12 wrote:
A_50_h wrote:After watching last years title game between DT and May-Port, and seeing how those two teams slowed it down and took the air out of the ball I would say there should definetly should be a shot clock. I also think they should make it two halves of 16 minutes each.

yeah there sure gets to be some snoozefests out there

Snoozefests? I agree that some games in the 40's may not be as enjoyable to everyone because all people want to see nowadays are high-scoring games with tons of 3's jacked up. But there are still some people out here like me who are true basketball enthusiasts who enjoy seeing a good QUALITY basketball game with some hard nosed defense. I thought the title last year between DT and MPCG was a great game to watch just to see those kids busting their butts on defense like that.
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby trueblue09 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:49 pm

South Dakota AA doesn't have a shot clock.  We don't need one either.
trueblue09
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ClassBballa » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Swine-O wrote:
jetblue12 wrote:
A_50_h wrote:After watching last years title game between DT and May-Port, and seeing how those two teams slowed it down and took the air out of the ball I would say there should definetly should be a shot clock. I also think they should make it two halves of 16 minutes each.

Snoozefests? I agree that some games in the 40's may not be as enjoyable to everyone because all people want to see nowadays are high-scoring games with tons of 3's jacked up. But there are still some people out here like me who are true basketball enthusiasts who enjoy seeing a good QUALITY basketball game with some hard nosed defense. I thought the title last year between DT and MPCG was a great game to watch just to see those kids busting their butts on defense like that.

just because there was a shot clock doesn't mean the quality would deminish. Good defense would still be good defense and win you games, it would put more pressure on the other teams offense to work a little quicker to find a good shot.
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBballa » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:29 pm

trueblue09 wrote:South Dakota AA doesn't have a shot clock.  We don't need one either.

Ok? thats good news!?!?
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:49 pm

SCC wrote:We can implement a shot clock, but expect the defensive teams to pass the ball around until ten seconds on the shot clock just about every possession.  That wouldn't be a whole lot different than the current situation.

I'd rather know that I don't have to wait no more then 35 seconds to get the ball back then maybe having to wait 60+ seconds.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:41 pm

SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:We can implement a shot clock, but expect the defensive teams to pass the ball around until ten seconds on the shot clock just about every possession.  That wouldn't be a whole lot different than the current situation.

I'd rather know that I don't have to wait no more then 35 seconds to get the ball back then maybe having to wait 60+ seconds.

Not very many possessions last that long.  I think it's an extreme exaggeration.  Bring the shot clock to class B, and we'll find out that the scoring stays relatively the same.

The scoring might stay relatively the same, its the point at the end of quarters and games that it would be nice. There is nothing I hate more then with 1 min to go a team holds for the last shot.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ClassBballa » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:25 am

baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:

Not very many possessions last that long.  I think it's an extreme exaggeration.  Bring the shot clock to class B, and we'll find out that the scoring stays relatively the same.

The scoring might stay relatively the same, its the point at the end of quarters and games that it would be nice. There is nothing I hate more then with 1 min to go a team holds for the last shot.

try about stalling with 5 mins to go against FW. if they had the lead agianst a good team and the score was relatively close they would go up top and do their little three man weave with over half a quarter to go. (and don't say i'm against FW, it is just extremely boring)

ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:46 am

[user=1515]baller01[/user] wrote:

That is exactly right. The point was made earlier that a shot clock would increase blow-outs as well - that is not necessarily true. I talked to a few coaches about this, as I was originally against a shot clock in B. Those coaches to a man (some Class A) said that the shot clock actually makes it better for the poorer teams - as they will are guaranteed possessions every 35 seconds (provided they rebound) . Now I'm not saying this will negate blow-outs by any means - but its just what I've been told, and it kind of makes sense.
The biggest problem for B schools and the shot clock situation is price. The average cost of 2 clocks is $3,000. Now if you have a co-op with one or more schools - that can run into many thousands of dollars that these schools can't afford. That is the main reason why a lot of B schools are against it.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby bbfollower » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:54 am

It will not prevent blow-outs, however, it will prevent help boredom. I love watching basketball, but after having watched Class A with the shot clock and then Class B without, it does get a little boring watching them throw the ball back and forth and not play the game.  I do understand the Class B schools points though with the cost, so don't blame them for not wanting it.
bbfollower
NDPreps Starter

Postby thesports_guy32 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:14 am

ClassBballa wrote:
Swine-O wrote:
jetblue12 wrote:

just because there was a shot clock doesn't mean the quality would deminish. Good defense would still be good defense and win you games, it would put more pressure on the other teams offense to work a little quicker to find a good shot.

I'm with you on this one Swine-O. There's nothing wrong with low scoring games. Watching teams like DT and Mayport is fun. They are programs that know the game and can stay in any game they play because of their style of play. People in this topic make it seem like Class B has a hard time getting fans to come to games because of the low scoring games. I know the Betty Englestad was packed for NB vs. Midway/Minto (8-8 at the end of the first i believe). And everyone knew before the State championship that DT was going to slow the game down but that was still a packed house. Not having a shot clock makes every game a bit more competative. Poor teams can slow it down to stay in games and there's nothing wrong with competative games.
thesports_guy32

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:36 am

thesports_guy32 wrote:
ClassBballa wrote:
Swine-O wrote:
jetblue12 wrote:

I'm with you on this one Swine-O. There's nothing wrong with low scoring games. Watching teams like DT and Mayport is fun. They are programs that know the game and can stay in any game they play because of their style of play. People in this topic make it seem like Class B has a hard time getting fans to come to games because of the low scoring games. I know the Betty Englestad was packed for NB vs. Midway/Minto (8-8 at the end of the first i believe). And everyone knew before the State championship that DT was going to slow the game down but that was still a packed house. Not having a shot clock makes every game a bit more competative. Poor teams can slow it down to stay in games and there's nothing wrong with competative games.
I agree here too but the only reason I don't like not having a shot clock is sometimes when theres 2 or 3 minutes left and someone is down by like 4 points its like being down 10 because teams practice stalling.  It sets teams up for more upsets to happen which every year in class B do happen and I like to see that.  I just dont like when the game is on the line and the team ahead stops playing offense and starts playing keepaway.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby basketball43 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:20 am

It is time for class B to get with the ages.  All colleges have the shot clock and the way the young athletes are improving every year it is a shame that a star from the class B ranks that goes to college has never experienced it.  It is a whole new ball game involving a shot clock.
basketball43

Postby Edward III » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:00 am

Trinity and May-port play defense and a good offense does not throw the ball up after crossing the half line. Four Winds did not play teeible but instead played against a defense. May- port plays defense as part of their game plan.
Last edited by Edward III on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward III
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GBBC » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:40 am

Swine-O wrote:
jetblue12 wrote:

Swine-O:

I agree that good, quality defense is fun to watch!  There is nothing better than watching someone take a charge or get a 5-second call.  Adding a shot clock adds one more reward for that good defense -- a shot clock violation!  A team who bust their butts and plays defense for 30/35 seconds and holds the other team without a shot deserves the reward of getting the ball back.  That is what the shot clock is for!  It is a reward for that great defense!

Also, those kids who get a chance to play with a shot clock in high school are at an advantage when they move on to the collegiate level (where a shot clock IS used).
GBBC

Postby Ol_Husky » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:31 pm

It looks Minnesota is ready to 'experiment' with the shot clock for their two largest classes.  See:  http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_7088280

And South Dakota is moving their largest class to a shot clock next year.
Ol_Husky

Postby Tu-Big » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:19 pm

does class b need a shot clock??? YES!
Tu-Big

Postby 7-11 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:50 am

I don't think the 8-8 NB/M-M score was indicative of the number of shots they put up.  Neither team sat on the ball.  Look at their scoring averages.
Last edited by 7-11 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
7-11

Postby g_baller » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:01 pm

after playing class b ball and goin to play college, i dont see how i played without a shot clock. some teams like to get ahead and pass the ball for 3 minutes. thats no fun to play in or watch. im all for the class b shot clock.
g_baller
NDPreps Rookie

Postby project-pat » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:21 pm

I say we just leave it as is....how much do the clocks cost anyway? and who will fund for the clocks for schools that are financially uncapable of purchasing them??
project-pat

Postby BB11 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:42 am

[user=790]project-pat[/user] wrote:
I say we just leave it as is....how much do the clocks cost anyway? and who will fund for the clocks for schools that are financially uncapable of purchasing them??

Talked to an administrator last year about this - I believe they are either $3000 a pair or a piece - either way - it's a lot of money. Schools that have co-ops would have to get at least two pair - not a very economically feasible thing to do.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:51 am

If a team can get in their face and play tough defense very few class "B" teams can hold on to the ball and drain the clock.  The vast majority of the time a shot clock would not be an issue....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby 7-11 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:13 am

The shot clock would change the strategy at the end of the game.  Instead of having to foul to get possession, you can play tough defense and force a bad shot.  The offense has to continue to perform.   The defense gets the ball back without a foul due to the time limit, or they get a foul on the offense trying to rebound over the back.  Either way, the team behind on the score can make up the difference faster with good defense, rather than giving up 2 free throws and get down for a 3-pointer to erase only a point at a time.  And it saves the fouls at the end of the game, and should keep your players in the game.   
7-11

PreviousNext

Return to Boys