Shot Clock?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Favor of Shot Clock

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes : 111

Postby crossover » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:07 pm

class A has a shot clock should class B get one.  i know not all schools can afford it im just curoius to see what you guys post.  i think class B should get one to stop teams from holding the ball in the last quarter.
crossover
NDPreps Reserve

Postby crossover » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:13 pm

just nope no reasoning for it?
crossover
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heelsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:29 am

Class B definitely needs a shot clock.  No doubt about it!  Class B basketball has slowed down so much since I played.  After watching Beulah in Class A for 7 years and then going back to Class B without a shot clock is hard to watch.  I was one against the shot clock before, but after seeing how the game has slowed down, I would like to see Class B speed it up a little.  However, not all teams slow it down.
heelsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:38 am

Class B needs a Shot Clock and they need it STAT!!!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Claz B Fan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:10 am

Nope no shot clock thats what makes Class B Class B
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jetblue12 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:20 am

i would rather see two halves of 18 minutes over the shot clock,,,, with the 4 quarters to much time is wasted at the last minute of quarters for the last second shot, so there i would like to see the clock.  but i think halves would be better. 
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby propel23 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:48 am

i remember last year seeing trinity play at state and granted it was smart coaching about holding the ball but it was rediculous and extremly boring to watch. class b definetly needs a shot clock because lame teams like trinity get up on you right away and play like girls the rest of the game.
propel23

Postby heelsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:49 am

jetblue12 wrote:i would rather see two halves of 18 minutes over the shot clock,,,, with the 4 quarters to much time is wasted at the last minute of quarters for the last second shot, so there i would like to see the clock.  but i think halves would be better. 

I agree with having two halves.  Also, so many people always say not having a shot clock is what makes class B, class B.  That is not what makes class B what it is!  Sometimes change is needed.  That's like saying they should never have brought in the three point shot.
heelsfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:10 am

I shot clock would benefit the good teams but would absoutely kill the bad team. If you are a weaker team playing against a good team, the only chance you have to win is go down and take a minute off the clock everytime. If class B got a shot clock there would be a lot of 50+ blowouts. Not the normal 20-30 point blowouts.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jetblue12 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:20 am

baller01 wrote:I shot clock would benefit the good teams but would absoutely kill the bad team. If you are a weaker team playing against a good team, the only chance you have to win is go down and take a minute off the clock everytime. If class B got a shot clock there would be a lot of 50+ blowouts. Not the normal 20-30 point blowouts.

i agree there will be some absolute shellings with the clock, i would i like them to move to 2 -18's instead,
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:33 am

I read in this month's NDHSAA Bulletin that after switching to two 18 min halves this year, games were actually 12.5% longer.  I don't know what the cause of it was, but I think the idea of going to halves was to keep the games moving with less down time.  I don't think switching to halves is a great idea unless they go 16 min halves.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby magic715 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:00 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I read in this month's NDHSAA Bulletin that after switching to two 18 min halves this year, games were actually 12.5% longer.  I don't know what the cause of it was, but I think the idea of going to halves was to keep the games moving with less down time.  I don't think switching to halves is a great idea unless they go 16 min halves.

The reason for more time, was more fouls, with an extra 2 minutes, there are alot of extra fouls, i heard they were thinking of going to 10 and 12 on  the fouls for shots. this would eliminate some of the foul shooting. i do know the games did last longer cause the varsity games were starting a half hr or more late most of the time.
magic715

Postby Tigger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:52 am

Leave Class B alone.  The way it is set up now is fine.  A shot clock will just add that many more rushed/bad shots.  There are a lot of low scoring games, but there are also a good share of high scoring ones too.  Scoring and excitement won't go up just because of a shot clock.  I've seen plenty of boring college games that have both shot clocks and two halves that struggle to get past the 50s in scoring.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Tigger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:56 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I read in this month's NDHSAA Bulletin that after switching to two 18 min halves this year, games were actually 12.5% longer.  I don't know what the cause of it was, but I think the idea of going to halves was to keep the games moving with less down time.  I don't think switching to halves is a great idea unless they go 16 min halves.

That actually makes sense because 2 minutes is 12.5% of 16, so they were probably asserting that the games were literally 12.5% longer.  As for the extra fouls and stoppage, I'd guess the actual time to play a game would be more than a 12.5% increase.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby twinsfan34 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:01 am

magic715 wrote:

The reason for more time, was more fouls, with an extra 2 minutes, there are alot of extra fouls, i heard they were thinking of going to 10 and 12 on  the fouls for shots. this would eliminate some of the foul shooting. i do know the games did last longer cause the varsity games were starting a half hr or more late most of the time.

EDIT:  Just read Tigger's message.

Also the 12.5% figure is just simple math. Take 16 minutes halves (which would have been the time limit if they kept the original 32 minutes of playing time) and multiply it by .125.  It equals 2.  Add that to 16 and you get the 18 minute halves Class A used this past season.   If I remember correctly from the Bulletin, the 12.5% was used in the context of raising officials' fees for Class A games, but I am not completely sure on that.  
Last edited by twinsfan34 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
twinsfan34

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:01 am

Yeah, but the idea behind going to halves was to cut down the breaks in the game.  So even though they added 2 minutes to each half, because they have fewer breaks the games would actually be about the same or even shorter.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby twinsfan34 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:04 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Yeah, but the idea behind going to halves was to cut down the breaks in the game.  So even though they added 2 minutes to each half, because they have fewer breaks the games would actually be about the same or even shorter.

Somebody told me that the reason they went to 18-minute halves in Class A is because Class A plays fewer games than Class B (remember there are no district tournaments in Class A).  As a compromise from allowing Class A more games, the existing games were lengthened.
twinsfan34

Postby Wrestler » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:43 am

Claz B Fan wrote:Nope no shot clock thats what makes Class B Class B

That's exactly the reason to get one.  Boring. 

So of all the basketball in the world, class B in ND is the only one that has it right, with no shot clock?  The NBA is wrong, the NCAA, the class A.   There is a reason they did this, like more entertaining. 

Typical non-progressive thinking,  the world is passing you by.  They used to say class A was the slow it down, boring game,  now they have made 2 great improvements.  First the shot clock, now the 18 minute halves.   Now class B bball is boring.  Most games in the 40's or less.   

Wrestler
NDPreps Starter

Postby beavof77 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:46 pm

IMO...I don't really see a need for a shot clock in Class B. Most teams run a fast paced offense that really doesn't require a shot clock. I think the shot clock may be nice say in the 4th quarter, and start it with so many min. left to prevent from lots of stalling, or fouling which can extend games up to an hour. Any thoughts towards an idea similar to that?
Last edited by beavof77 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:12 pm

beavof77 wrote:IMO...I don't really see a need for a shot clock in Class B. Most teams run a fast paced offense that really doesn't require a shot clock. I think the shot clock may be nice say in the 4th quarter, and start it with so many min. left to prevent from lots of stalling, or fouling which can extend games up to an hour. Any thoughts towards an idea similar to that?

either have it or don't, imo.

having it in the fourth quarter, would be okay, but what about blow outs? where do you draw the line between having it and not?
rep

Postby beavof77 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:23 pm

rep wrote:

having it in the fourth quarter, would be okay, but what about blow outs? where do you draw the line between having it and not?

Yeah, that is true..I know this sounds far fetched but I've heard of teams that are getting blown out start stalling so the score doesn't get even worse. Maybe if the game is with in 15 or so incorperate the clock?
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:29 pm

beavof77 wrote:
rep wrote:

Yeah, that is true..I know this sounds far fetched but I've heard of teams that are getting blown out start stalling so the score doesn't get even worse. Maybe if the game is with in 15 or so incorperate the clock?

i can't remember which topic it is...but somewhere point/center printed off the list of the upcoming agenda for the ndhsaa meeting. one of the items on there was something with regards to a mercy rule in basketball, but it didn't go into any more detail...maybe that could be discussed this weekend with some kind of running clock or something?
rep

Postby A_50_h » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:40 pm

After watching last years title game between DT and May-Port, and seeing how those two teams slowed it down and took the air out of the ball I would say there should definetly should be a shot clock. I also think they should make it two halves of 16 minutes each.

A_50_h
NDPreps Rookie

Postby jetblue12 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:47 pm

A_50_h wrote:After watching last years title game between DT and May-Port, and seeing how those two teams slowed it down and took the air out of the ball I would say there should definetly should be a shot clock. I also think they should make it two halves of 16 minutes each.

yeah there sure gets to be some snoozefests out there
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby jetblue12 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:47 pm

A_50_h wrote:After watching last years title game between DT and May-Port, and seeing how those two teams slowed it down and took the air out of the ball I would say there should definetly should be a shot clock. I also think they should make it two halves of 16 minutes each.

yeah there sure gets to be some snoozefests out there
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys