Shot Clock?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Favor of Shot Clock

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes : 111

Postby Hinsa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:23 am

Why should we artificially create a way for the team behind to get back in the game - i.e. a shot clock. If you fall behind, you suffer the consequences. I hate putting gimics into the game to try to "fix" things that aren't broken.

If we follow the logic of trying to make combacks easier, we should let the team that is behind in football get to receive the kickoff after they score in the 4th quarter.

For every strategy in sports, there is a counter strategy. If a team wants to hold the ball, come out and play tight defense and take the ball away. If you aren't good enough to do that, you deserve to lose the ball game.

It's like the NBA trying to outlaw zone defenses. Over the years they have realized they can't do it - NBA teams continue to play disguised zones. So they finally did away with that stupid rule.

In my opinion, gimics just screw up the game, they don't "fix" it.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Free Hugs » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:03 pm

Wrestler wrote:
Claz B Fan wrote:Nope no shot clock thats what makes Class B Class B

That's exactly the reason to get one.  Boring. 

So of all the basketball in the world, class B in ND is the only one that has it right, with no shot clock?  The NBA is wrong, the NCAA, the class A.   There is a reason they did this, like more entertaining. 

Typical non-progressive thinking,  the world is passing you by.  They used to say class A was the slow it down, boring game,  now they have made 2 great improvements.  First the shot clock, now the 18 minute halves.   Now class B bball is boring.  Most games in the 40's or less.   

well most of the games ive seen have been in the 70s or 60s so ya
Free Hugs

Postby scruffy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:56 pm

If a team is capable of hanging on to the ball and it plays into their strength why shouldn't they be able to do it.  Jamestown with Jerry Meyer did it in Jamestown and today May-Port and Trinity often do it.  I  like to see disciplined play..
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wildcat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:48 am

I hate the cliche "that's what makes Class B Class B"

No, enrollment numbers are what make Class B Class B.

That being said, I'm neutral on the idea of a shot clock in Class B. It would speed up the games and on every other level they use a shot clock.

On the other hand, I hate the excuse that "teams stall in the fourth quarter." If you don't like it, then don't fall behind! I agree with someone's above statement in this topic. Play good defense and take it away!

Why is it in this day and age, everyone's so hungry to see high scoring offensive games? Basketball games sometimes are 40-39 and people complain that there isn't enough scoring.

If every game was 90-89, would people be screaming for more defense and to slow down the game? I don't think so.

I'd also like to add that if any of you have watched some of the girls basketball games that I have in the past, PLEASE LORD, don't put in a shotclock. Too many teams just throw it up as it is.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basketballer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:04 pm

shot clocks a good idea it will give teams a chance to comeback in the fourth quarter.

in response to scruffy- some people can ask why can't fast teams play to their strength?

i am pretty neutral too. but not because of the reasons of wildcat. i think it would probably cost too much for the smaller schools. but think it would be good for the game.
basketballer

Postby project-pat » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:42 pm

I could really care less because hopefully it isn't put into the system until after i graduate:D
project-pat

Postby Miner Fan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:40 pm

crossover wrote:class A has a shot clock should class B get one.  i know not all schools can afford it im just curoius to see what you guys post.  i think class B should get one to stop teams from holding the ball in the last quarter.

Your right about that, class B schools should get one to stop teams from holding the ball. Thats what trinity did last year, its hard to defend an ofence that holds that ball for 1 to 2 minutes at a time, trinity isn't the only ones that do this, its clever though. Plus it also speeds up the game and makes it more intresting.
Miner Fan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:25 am

I know it was probably boring to watch, but even back when I was playing the coaches always made us run the offense until we got an good shot.  If you watch Trinity, they are not passing up shots they just are disciplined about not heaving up an off-balance prayer, or forcing the pass inside when it's not there.  Run and gun works well for some teams, but when you have the talent you slow things down and run your offense giving your shooters and  your rebounders the best chance to use their skills.

If you go back and watch tape, I would almost bet that a 45 second clock would not have affected much in many class B games, because although they were using a lot of time, 45 seconds is still a lot in a basketball game.  So essentially most schools would be wasting their money on a shot clock, and they would have to find someone to run it every game. 
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:23 am

NDSportsFan wrote: I know it was probably boring to watch, but even back when I was playing the coaches always made us run the offense until we got an good shot.  If you watch Trinity, they are not passing up shots they just are disciplined about not heaving up an off-balance prayer, or forcing the pass inside when it's not there.  Run and gun works well for some teams, but when you have the talent you slow things down and run your offense giving your shooters and  your rebounders the best chance to use their skills.

If you go back and watch tape, I would almost bet that a 45 second clock would not have affected much in many class B games, because although they were using a lot of time, 45 seconds is still a lot in a basketball game.  So essentially most schools would be wasting their money on a shot clock, and they would have to find someone to run it every game. 

i agree 100%,  i dont understand why people always say trinity stalls and just holds the ball.  if they get a good shot after one pass they take it, if it takes 15 passes o well.  they will never take a rushed shot.  thats good basketball, not holding the ball and running out the clock
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Re: Shot Clock?

Postby wildguy131 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:20 pm

shot clocks are definitely needed in class b. it would help pick up the tempo of the game. yes it would affect some teams that like to slow thigns down, but there's still enough time for them to play at a slower tempo. for the fast-break up and down the court kind of teams, it really wouldnt affect them at all. games are really boring when all thats done is watch people hold the ball, then pass, hold the ball, pass, dribble 5 steps, hold the ball, pass, hold the ball, yaddie yaddie ya... If u think that sentence is boring, try sitting through one of the games!
wildguy131
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:38 pm

wildguy131 wrote:shot clocks are definitely needed in class b. it would help pick up the tempo of the game. yes it would affect some teams that like to slow thigns down, but there's still enough time for them to play at a slower tempo. for the fast-break up and down the court kind of teams, it really wouldnt affect them at all. games are really boring when all thats done is watch people hold the ball, then pass, hold the ball, pass, dribble 5 steps, hold the ball, pass, hold the ball, yaddie yaddie ya... If u think that sentence is boring, try sitting through one of the games!

I'll say this once again: If the defense doesn't like the offense being patient and taking their time, come out and play pressure defense and MAKE them do something! It's not a hard concept - if you want to speed up the game, play pressure defense!!!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:47 pm

hey, heres something to think about, all of you stalling haters...

Are you fine with a team running out the clock in football by kneeling down the ball? it's pretty much the same concept. Saying a team can't play stall ball in basketball would be like telling teams in football if there is under 2 minutes left that they can not kneel. Or even teams that just run the ball to waste time and not pass.. are you sayin there should be a rule that they have to pass the ball? In sports you do whatever you can do to win.
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby chevyman11 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:18 pm

BballFan1307 wrote:hey, heres something to think about, all of you stalling haters...

Are you fine with a team running out the clock in football by kneeling down the ball? it's pretty much the same concept. Saying a team can't play stall ball in basketball would be like telling teams in football if there is under 2 minutes left that they can not kneel. Or even teams that just run the ball to waste time and not pass.. are you sayin there should be a rule that they have to pass the ball? In sports you do whatever you can do to win.

i think u should watch trinity play a game before comparing basketball stalling to football stalling. footballs its only at the end of the game. trniity stalls all game. theres only a little bit of a difference there!
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby chevyman11 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:20 pm

Hinsa wrote:
wildguy131 wrote:shot clocks are definitely needed in class b. it would help pick up the tempo of the game. yes it would affect some teams that like to slow thigns down, but there's still enough time for them to play at a slower tempo. for the fast-break up and down the court kind of teams, it really wouldnt affect them at all. games are really boring when all thats done is watch people hold the ball, then pass, hold the ball, pass, dribble 5 steps, hold the ball, pass, hold the ball, yaddie yaddie ya... If u think that sentence is boring, try sitting through one of the games!

I'll say this once again: If the defense doesn't like the offense being patient and taking their time, come out and play pressure defense and MAKE them do something! It's not a hard concept - if you want to speed up the game, play pressure defense!!!

yes because many teams dont play pressure defense-not. teams press, and play zone against trinity, and they still sit around holding the ball. its pretty ridiculous.
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:34 pm

chevyman11 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

yes because many teams dont play pressure defense-not. teams press, and play zone against trinity, and they still sit around holding the ball. its pretty ridiculous.

If you want to speed up play and get the offense to do something, why in the world would you sit in a zone??? Go to a half-court trapping defense or come out and play in your face man-to-man and look for steals.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:45 pm

Hinsa wrote:
chevyman11 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

If you want to speed up play and get the offense to do something, why in the world would you sit in a zone??? Go to a half-court trapping defense or come out and play in your face man-to-man and look for steals.

i agree that that was probably the worst arguement in this topic yet. a zone is the easiest defense to hold the ball against. pressure defense is man defense or like Hinsa said, an extended zone that can be used to trap.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks for backing me up Baseball. I agree with you - the strength of a zone is prohibiting offenses from driving to the basket and getting points in the paint, not pressuring the offense into hurrying.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:03 pm

chevyman11 wrote:
BballFan1307 wrote:hey, heres something to think about, all of you stalling haters...

i think u should watch trinity play a game before comparing basketball stalling to football stalling. footballs its only at the end of the game. trniity stalls all game. theres only a little bit of a difference there!

If you're so mad about Trinity stalling all game, then here are some pointers...

1) Don't let them get far enough ahead to where they can stall....

2) DON'T LET THEM STALL BY GETTING UP IN THEIR FACES AND PLAYING SOME DEFENSE

I hate that...when a team is stalling to win a game...the defense, instead of getting up in their faces and forcing some passes to get some turnovers

Classic example...playing at the 3 on 3 in bowman in '06...my team was the ultimate underdog, and we got up early like 8-2...so we stalled the rest of the game and all the defense could do was complain, saying stuff like "is this the only way you can beat us?" and stuff like that...All I could do was laugh and say "we've scored more points than you, now this is just strategy :lol: "
project-pat

Postby chevyman11 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:00 pm

baseball wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
chevyman11 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

i agree that that was probably the worst arguement in this topic yet. a zone is the easiest defense to hold the ball against. pressure defense is man defense or like Hinsa said, an extended zone that can be used to trap.

what i meant to say was a trapping defense-not just a plain zone
chevyman11
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys