Class A vs. Class B

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby trackster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:07 am

Lets hear what you have to say and start the blood bath.
trackster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby trackster » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:09 am

I'm going to start off saying class B has it harder just because the state has more class B schools than class A schools so there is a lot more compition. With class B basketball only the top team goes to state when class A takes the top four.
trackster
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 am

Well on a weekly basis Class A obviously plays better teams.  But many Class B schools can compete with Class A.  Just look at FW, they handily beat Belcourt last year and the year before that.  Lisbon also beat VC a Class A school by 5.  And Carrington, who has decent program, only loss to VC by 14.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsmart » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 am

Class B has more teams to go through, but class A definitely has way better competition.  It is hard to say.  I would think class A just because of the teams you have to beat.  There are no real gimmee teams like in class B.  Heck you can eliminate half the team in the region in class B because the teams are terrible.  You don't have this in class A.  Just my thoughts and I have been part of both.
sportsmart
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:42 am

Mr. Knowitall wrote:Well on a weekly basis Class A obviously plays better teams.  But many Class B schools can compete with Class A.  Just look at FW, they handily beat Belcourt last year and the year before that.  Lisbon also beat VC a Class A school by 5.  And Carrington, who has decent program, only loss to VC by 14.

I think you just made class A's point. Oak Grove, Lisbon and Carrington are top class B teams and they were competative games going 2-1 with VC which only won 2 EDC games all year (each by 3 points) in a down EDC year.  So if you look at it, the best class B teams would be in the single digits for wins  and would rarely ever place top 4 and go to state. 

As far as who has it harder?  I'd call it a wash.  If you play on one of the big teams you'd go virtually every year, but the hard part would be making the team.  In class B the hard part is not having a bad game when you are the better team.  We went to the state class B my junior year with all juniors, and when I was senior we were 21-2, losing in the semi's of regionals and not returning.
Last edited by Deuce on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:22 am

Deuce wrote:
Mr. Knowitall wrote:Well on a weekly basis Class A obviously plays better teams.  But many Class B schools can compete with Class A.  Just look at FW, they handily beat Belcourt last year and the year before that.  Lisbon also beat VC a Class A school by 5.  And Carrington, who has decent program, only loss to VC by 14.

I think you just made class A's point. Oak Grove, Lisbon and Carrington are top class B teams and they were competative games going 2-1 with VC which only won 2 EDC games all year (each by 3 points) in a down EDC year.  So if you look at it, the best class B teams would be in the single digits for wins  and would rarely ever place top 4 and go to state. 

As far as who has it harder?  I'd call it a wash.  If you play on one of the big teams you'd go virtually every year, but the hard part would be making the team.  In class B the hard part is not having a bad game when you are the better team.  We went to the state class B my junior year with all juniors, and when I was senior we were 21-2, losing in the semi's of regionals and not returning.

Carrington is far from being one of the top B teams and so is Oak Grove.  But FW played Belcourt, which is a very competitive WDA team, and they beat them by almost 20 points last year.  The best class B teams would not be in the single digits in the win column.  If FW played Class A this year I can almost garuntee you that they'll have a winning record.  So would teams like Hankinson and DT becuase of their stellar defense.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:29 am

Mr. Knowitall wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Carrington is far from being one of the top B teams and so is Oak Grove.  But FW played Belcourt, which is a very competitive WDA team, and they beat them by almost 20 points last year.  The best class B teams would not be in the single digits in the win column.  If FW played Class A this year I can almost garuntee you that they'll have a winning record.  So would teams like Hankinson and DT becuase of their stellar defense.

Turtle Mountain was 5 - 11 in WDA with a 2 and BBQ in the WDA tournament.   They lost 80-33 in the WDA opener to BHS and 66-46 to a 6 - 10 Jamestown.  I wouldn't call that competative.

Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bearsfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:33 am

Deuce wrote:

I can jump in this one being from Beulah.  Over the past 7 years we have had some very decent teams, getting to state is tough.  a team only has to win 2 games at the WDA tourney to get there, the main problem is that you have to beat out 2 of those "Big" town teams.  I'm not saying that we didn't have our chances, but with the depth of the Class A teams and after playing them at least 2 times earlier during the season, its very tough to surprise 2 of those teams.   

But having said that, I think Class B is tough also, because of only one team goes per region and each individual game during a regional tourney means more, it is a lot more prestigious to go to the state tourney.
Bearsfan

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:30 pm

belcourt is at the bottom of class a along with vc and i think it is harder to make state in a than in b case in point mandan with arguably the states best player dint make state where shiloh with maybe one player (friesen) who would start varsity in class a did
Last edited by cdub1 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:04 pm

cdub1 wrote:

belcourt is at the bottom of class a along with vc and i think it is harder to make state in a than in b case in point mandan with arguably the states best player dint make state where shiloh with maybe one player (friesen) who would start varsity in class a did

thats only one region and maybe another good team had that 1 bad game.  u dont get 1 bad game in the region tournament in most regions cuz there is always another team that can beat u
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby web17 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:27 pm

i think a lot of the Class A games are closer. by using the shot clock, you can be down 6 with a minute to go and not have to throw up the first shot you get. the shot clock guarentees you a lot more shot. so it is therefore easier to catch up at the end.(assuming you play defense)
web17
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:29 pm

Class B is obviously harder...There is now 4 winds in Class A.

CLASS A GAMES ARE SLOPPY
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:36 pm

project-pat wrote:Class B is obviously harder...There is now 4 winds in Class A.

CLASS A GAMES ARE SLOPPY

if class a games are sloppy wut would class b games be?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:38 pm

cdub1 wrote:
project-pat wrote:Class B is obviously harder...There is now 4 winds in Class A.

CLASS A GAMES ARE SLOPPY

if class a games are sloppy wut would class b games be?

perfection haha. idk, just from what I watched of the super A, i was not impressed.
Last edited by project-pat on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
project-pat

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:40 pm

It is really quite simple. If we are wondering who has the harder road to the state tournament, it is class B. Now people are going to say, well some teams in the tournaments are terrible teams. That might be true, but any team can beat any team on any given night. If we are wondering who is the better competition, then it is class A. I'm not saying that Ironhart, Bakkum, Wheeling, Packineaus, Lorenz etc. wouldn't be good class A players, I'm saying the whole team down the line is better competition.

So it depends what we are wondering. Harder to make to a state tournament, class B. Better competition, class A.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gator-nation » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:53 pm

i would take class b for a good reason...that is u get to see good young ball players really develope. for example payton tivis and donny breen from bowman both started varsity as freshman and im sure there are many more greats who have done so also.
Last edited by gator-nation on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gator-nation

Postby region1 football » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:58 pm

look how jake holen turned out.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby crossover » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:47 pm

Class B is tougher because Class A all you need to do to go to state is get 4th in the regional tourney Class B you have to be the region champs.
crossover
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:22 pm

look at beulah, they couldn't do anything in class A, then they moved down to class B, and they still couldn't do anything. I think it shows that the two divisions are alot more equal than some people believe. To get to state in the B you need a great team. These teams would be able to compete on a class A level, but the difference would be the depth, and a good class A team would be able to beat a great class B team.
letsgosox

Postby Deuce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:18 am

letsgosox wrote:look at beulah, they couldn't do anything in class A, then they moved down to class B, and they still couldn't do anything. I think it shows that the two divisions are alot more equal than some people believe. To get to state in the B you need a great team. These teams would be able to compete on a class A level, but the difference would be the depth, and a good class A team would be able to beat a great class B team.

I wouldn't say Beulah didn't do anything this year.  They beat a lot of the top class B teams and were ranked all year.  I give them a year or two and you'll hear just as much whining about them as you do Trininty.  They have a very good coach and program, its just that at class A you need to turn out so many more good players that they just don't have the numbers to be competative with the bigger schools.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys