Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:24 am

Do you think the Mr. Basketball award is even necessary anymore?  I mean, the class A players get more media coverage throughout their careers and are more known around the state because of that.  Also, class A players get more looks from DI schools because of that as well.  I'm not turning this into a class A vs class B argument, but don't you think just having Sr. POY for each class is worthy enough?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby pacod » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:30 am

Why don't they have a Mr. basketball for class A and B? Wouldn't that solve the problem?
pacod

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:47 am

Wouldn't that be the same as Sr. POY for each class like they already have?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby pacod » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:55 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Wouldn't that be the same as Sr. POY for each class like they already have?

yeah true
pacod

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:00 am

I think they should do away with all the District, Region, Senior "of the year"  awards and just have Mr. Basketball.  How watered down does it have to get? The more awards they give the less they mean to win them.  But the reason for them is Mr Basketball is a media award and the POY are coaches awards.

These awards have no affect on recruiting because they are given to seniors and happen after the recruiting has taken place. Colleges recruit during the summer because they are busy with their own season in the winter.

Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:02 am

SCC wrote:The Mr. Basketball award has been around a lot longer than the Senior POY award, but I think it is time to put the award to rest.

Yeah the award is a little overated, but every state has a Mr.Basketball so I believe we should keep it.  And it allows more recruitment for the winner.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:03 am

I know the awards have nothing to do with recruiting.  What I was trying to say is that certain players probably get the Mr. Bball award because they are going to a DI school, not the other way around.  On the same not, I think the district, region, and state Sr POY are great awards because they are voted on the coaches who have seen these kids play for years...not by some media people who just hear about the players and see their stat line on a sheet of paper.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Deuce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:09 am

ndlionsfan wrote:I know the awards have nothing to do with recruiting.  What I was trying to say is that certain players probably get the Mr. Bball award because they are going to a DI school, not the other way around.  On the same not, I think the district, region, and state Sr POY are great awards because they are voted on the coaches who have seen these kids play for years...not by some media people who just hear about the players and see their stat line on a sheet of paper.

I agree with you on the District and Region POY because it is localized.  But for the senior award I don't think a Region 1 coach has seen any more Region 8 players play and visa versa than say a sports reporter from GF has seen a player from Dickinson.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:40 am

That is true....what is the best way to decide a statewide award of that type?
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bearsfan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:37 am

I think what you do is keep the region POY and get rid of the district POY.  And then I would get away from it being a "Senior" POY but just a POY.  I think if you do this then names will filter across the state when the players are younger, and then they will have a better chance against Class A in the Mr Basketball voting.  I feel that is the best way for a non-media small town kid to compete against the media centers. 
Bearsfan

Postby rep » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:09 am

i think media should keep out of any kind of player of the year voting, which also includes all-state...how can you stay objective (which i think media should be) if you have to push for this kid or that kid to be named to either a mr/miss basketball team or an all-state team.

it turns into politics and media should be above that nonsense.
rep

Postby 3s & Dunks » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:17 am

rep wrote:i think media should keep out of any kind of player of the year voting, which also includes all-state...how can you stay objective (which i think media should be) if you have to push for this kid or that kid to be named to either a mr/miss basketball team or an all-state team.

it turns into politics and media should be above that nonsense.

Good post rep, I am glad to see that you feel this way, ya to stay objective like you said really is hard to do I'm sure! Then there is the other end of the spectrum where they only have Tunnel vision, and they feel they have to (Protect) & Push the kids in their area cuz it is their turf!
3s & Dunks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby region1 football » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:14 am

when does the nominees come out for mr basketball?
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballaholic#3 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:03 pm

this topic shouldn't be talked about in the class B section because every year a class B player gets screwed by not winning Mr. Basketball. Face it, class B gets jobbed every year so thats why they have these Senior player of the year awards.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bearsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:47 am

Kinda hard to say that these guys weren't worthy of the award.....

Year
North Dakota Mr. Basketball
School
Class

Travis Mertens
Devils Lake
A

James Hennessy
Williston
A

Lucas Moorman
Dickinson
A

Tyler Koenig
Fargo North
A

Tommy Leikas
Fargo North
A

Adam Dobmeier
Fargo South
A

Tyrone Terry
Valley City
A

Jeff Brandt
Minot
A

Jeff Boschee
Valley City
A

Travis Sturdevant
Bismarck Century
A

Kenny Younger
Minot
A

Hunter Berg
Grenora
B

Dustin Undlin
Mohall
B

Randy Torgrimson
West Fargo
A

Marty McDonald
Munich
B

Bart Manson
Minot
A

Rob Stefanowicz
Divide County
B

(tie)
Chris Gardner
Ben Jacobson
Fargo South
Mayville-Portland
A
B

Scott Guldseth
Edinburg
B

Bryan Flam
Jamestown
A

Todd Olson
Cavalier
B

(tie)
Juno Pintar
Chris Lamoureux
Fargo North
Newburg
A
B

But I don't think that Class B gets jabbed every year.  Notice how there is only 1 player from the town of Bismarck. 
Bearsfan

Postby ballaholic#3 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:03 am

I know of at least 3 players in recent years who were way more  qualified and deserving of the award than the Class A players.  Evan Lindahl from Cando, Kyle Carr from Linton, and the single most important reason of why they don't announce this over the speakers at the state class B tournament because it caused a riot and why there is senior athletes of the year, well that player was Travis Kraft. The man had basketball scholarship to South Carolina and him and Boschee were the best players to come out of ND in the past 25 years. But Jeff Brandt got it because of ONE stellar year which was about 5 less than Kraft. So this is why in my opinion class B is jobbed year in and year out. In my opinion, Class B players should win way more because they have better CAREERS on average than Class A players.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:12 am

My thoughts exactly....
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby sodadrinker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:24 am

ballaholic#3 wrote:I know of at least 3 players in recent years who were way more  qualified and deserving of the award than the Class A players.  Evan Lindahl from Cando, Kyle Carr from Linton, and the single most important reason of why they don't announce this over the speakers at the state class B tournament because it caused a riot and why there is senior athletes of the year, well that player was Travis Kraft. The man had basketball scholarship to South Carolina and him and Boschee were the best players to come out of ND in the past 25 years. But Jeff Brandt got it because of ONE stellar year which was about 5 less than Kraft. So this is why in my opinion class B is jobbed year in and year out. In my opinion, Class B players should win way more because they have better CAREERS on average than Class A players.

jeff brandt was getting payed to play basketball for awhile so if ur gonna argue that some class A players shouldnt have got it he shouldnt be one of them
Last edited by sodadrinker on Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bearsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:42 am

sodadrinker wrote:
ballaholic#3 wrote:I know of at least 3 players in recent years who were way more  qualified and deserving of the award than the Class A players.  Evan Lindahl from Cando, Kyle Carr from Linton, and the single most important reason of why they don't announce this over the speakers at the state class B tournament because it caused a riot and why there is senior athletes of the year, well that player was Travis Kraft. The man had basketball scholarship to South Carolina and him and Boschee were the best players to come out of ND in the past 25 years. But Jeff Brandt got it because of ONE stellar year which was about 5 less than Kraft. So this is why in my opinion class B is jobbed year in and year out. In my opinion, Class B players should win way more because they have better CAREERS on average than Class A players.

jeff brandt was getting played to play basketball for awhile so if ur gonna argue that some class A players shouldnt have got it he shouldnt be one of them

[font=Arial]Jeff Brandt[/font]

[font=Arial]  • NCC Freshman of the Year
             • NCC All-Conf 1st Team

[size=1]          Dakota Wizards (CBA) [/size][/font]

[font=Arial]I'll agree that Travis Kraft was a pretty good high school basketball player and could have deserved Mr Basketball also.  But you just aren't going to hear about the Class A players when they are freshman and sophomores just due to the numbers of players that they get out on their respective teams.  So looking at careers isn't always the best comparisons.[/font]

Bearsfan

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:53 am

Isn't that the idea of the Mr. Bball award??  Goes to the senior who had the best high school career??  That's why I think more Class B players should get it.  Some have been playing varsity since 8th/9th grade where a lot of Class A start playing varsity 10th/11th grade.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballcrasher » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:58 am

I think  that's a great question. What exaclty goes into the voting for Mr. Basketball. Is it just player of the year...current year? Or player of the year, how many ever years they played basketball (assuming varsity)? I do agree that the media should not have their hand in the voting, but are coaches that much more impartial? What if the players voted on it? Maybe the seniors across the state vote? I know I'd treasure an award voted on by my peers a lot more than a few guys who happen to talk about the sports every night on the news.
Mediocrity always discriminates excellance.
bballcrasher
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBballa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:00 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Isn't that the idea of the Mr. Bball award??  Goes to the senior who had the best high school career??  That's why I think more Class B players should get it.  Some have been playing varsity since 8th/9th grade where a lot of Class A start playing varsity 10th/11th grade.

I agree with you, i think the award should be about the players entire high school career and not just their senior year. Stats are also not the only thing that should be considered, they are a big part, but maybe the impact with their team and other things should be considered as well. how much do they mean to their team? are they the whole team? do they get everyone else invovled?
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBballa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:02 am

i think senior athlete of the year should be about senior year and MR. Basketball about the entire career.
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby project-pat » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:09 am

SCC wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Isn't that the idea of the Mr. Bball award??  Goes to the senior who had the best high school career??  That's why I think more Class B players should get it.  Some have been playing varsity since 8th/9th grade where a lot of Class A start playing varsity 10th/11th grade.

The senior season is all that matters.

pshhh, no offense, dumbest thing i've ever heard, haha
project-pat

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:18 am

bballcrasher wrote:I think  that's a great question. What exaclty goes into the voting for Mr. Basketball. Is it just player of the year...current year? Or player of the year, how many ever years they played basketball (assuming varsity)? I do agree that the media should not have their hand in the voting, but are coaches that much more impartial? What if the players voted on it? Maybe the seniors across the state vote? I know I'd treasure an award voted on by my peers a lot more than a few guys who happen to talk about the sports every night on the news.

hahaha. In case you didn't know the Mr. Basketball award was created by the media and isn't an award from the NDHSAA.  So I think the media probably should have a vote. 
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys