Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby fruit snack » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 am

SCC wrote:
project-pat wrote:
SCC wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Isn't that the idea of the Mr. Bball award??  Goes to the senior who had the best high school career??  That's why I think more Class B players should get it.  Some have been playing varsity since 8th/9th grade where a lot of Class A start playing varsity 10th/11th grade.

The senior season is all that matters.

pshhh, no offense, dumbest thing i've ever heard, haha

OK...you're taking that out of context.  I mean that's all that matters for a senior award.

i think class A gets the award over classB because the classA teams are all in big towns and more people get to watch them play...when there are players in classB that could do just as good in classA......im gonna predict that tate kick gets it this yr
fruit snack

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:41 am

fruit snack wrote:
SCC wrote:
project-pat wrote:
SCC wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Isn't that the idea of the Mr. Bball award??  Goes to the senior who had the best high school career??  That's why I think more Class B players should get it.  Some have been playing varsity since 8th/9th grade where a lot of Class A start playing varsity 10th/11th grade.

OK...you're taking that out of context.  I mean that's all that matters for a senior award.

i think class A gets the award over classB because the classA teams are all in big towns and more people get to watch them play...when there are players in classB that could do just as good in classA......im gonna predict that tate kick gets it this yr
One problem I have with the post about Class B players playing from 8/9th grade and Class A players playing from 10th/11th grade.  It is way harder to get minutes on a Class A team on varsity then Class B and we all know it.  Some people who are on teams where its just the one town like say Linton, Cavalier don't have as much competition to get onto the court to prove themself.  If there was a Class A player who started to get to play from 8th grade throughout High School and on a good team he'd probably be one of the greatest players in ND history.  One other thing about Class B players who got snubbed on the award, in 2004 Brady Trenbeath should've won it over Kyle Carr if a Class B player was to win it.  Trenbeath won the Class B Senior athlete of the year award and got third in the voting for Mr. Basketball.  Had he not been sick during the state tournament and his coach coached them better Cavalier would've been undefeated in 2004 and won state. 
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:12 am

Kyle Carr had a much better career than Trenbeath.  It's not even close...
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballer2 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:15 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
SCC wrote:
project-pat wrote:
SCC wrote:

One problem I have with the post about Class B players playing from 8/9th grade and Class A players playing from 10th/11th grade.  It is way harder to get minutes on a Class A team on varsity then Class B and we all know it.  Some people who are on teams where its just the one town like say Linton, Cavalier don't have as much competition to get onto the court to prove themself.  If there was a Class A player who started to get to play from 8th grade throughout High School and on a good team he'd probably be one of the greatest players in ND history.  One other thing about Class B players who got snubbed on the award, in 2004 Brady Trenbeath should've won it over Kyle Carr if a Class B player was to win it.  Trenbeath won the Class B Senior athlete of the year award and got third in the voting for Mr. Basketball.  Had he not been sick during the state tournament and his coach coached them better Cavalier would've been undefeated in 2004 and won state. 

2 differnet years sorry...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:20 am

i dont really think it is fair to players in class a to base it on 8th and 9th grade when they dont play unless you are going to take their junior high and jv stats

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 am

It's a season award simply because Class A doesn't get a lot of years on varsity...and they don't play near as many games against weak opponents that a lot of the Class B schools do. Jeff Brandt did deserve that award.

I thought a closer one than the Brandt/Kraft one maybe should have been Craig Nelson of MPCG and Lucas Moorman of Dickinson, though I think it probably turned out right.

Fans spend all their time bashing the media because they don't see anyone, but the truth is that STATS DO tell a story. The media doesn't care if someone averaged 10 points and five assists and "played their heart out every game." They HAVE TO have the numbers at least to be a candidate, and a track record for winning to win the award.

So many fans want their "guy" because he's SO good, but more often than not the people who come on here and say the media doesn't watch Class B, are people who only watch their home town and the teams they're playing against. The Media does watch everyone as long as they make the big tournaments because that's their job, and they see Class A and Class B.

If Mr. Basketball is so biased, why would Miss Basketball go back and forth every year?
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:32 am

Yep, I do, thanks for catching that one
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:38 am

bballer2 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
fruit snack wrote:
SCC wrote:
project-pat wrote:
SCC wrote:

2 differnet years sorry...
Thats right, i forgot carr was in the 05 class, and I do agree that he got hosed that year.  As for whoever said about the award meaning you have to have a track record for winning, how would you not give it to Travis Kraft then?  He was on the most dominant team in North Dakota History, the 97 MPCG Patriots.  He got his team the the Region championship game single handedly and if you're saying that he has to get his team to state to win the award that is ridiculous because that team from his senior year gave him little help to win games.  Craig Nelson, Travis Kraft, Brady Trenbeath, Kyle Carr, and even Chris "Buddy" Reinhart from 2002 are 5 Class "B" guys that got hosed because of either the team they were on "wasn't good enough" which isn't their fault their teammates weren't better basketball players or they were just flat out hosed by the voters.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ballaholic#3 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:03 pm

i went to many MSU games when Jeff Brandt played and always wondered how he won Mr. Basketball. IMO he was not even the best player on the team. I don't think I saw him go past the 3 pt. line ever on offense. When Jeff Brandt came from Division II UND he averaged like 8 pts. a game on a terrible team . But I did see Travis Kraft hitting a shot at the buzzer against powerhouse Florida to win a game. I also saw Travis Kraft star on the BEST HIGH SCHOOL TEAM EVER from the state of ND. I saw him his junior year do a 180 dunk in traffic against DLB in the state tournament. I heard of him averaging 30 pts. a game his senior year. I'm a senior in high school and I heard of Travis Kraft who lived in the opposite corner of the state since he was a freshman in high school. But I never ever heard of Jeff Brandt until he was named Mr. Basketball. And there is no way you can tell me that Class B is not snubbed by having sportswriters vote who don't leave their respective cities. O and for the Kyle Carr debate. He scored his 1000th point at the state tournament his Sophomore year. He is close to top of the list in career rebounding and he was a very good passer but I guess James Hennessy did average 13 pts. a game his senior year to win the award. and in my opinion Evan Lindahl from Cando was VERY VERY deserving of the award.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:06 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:i went to many MSU games when Jeff Brandt played and always wondered how he won Mr. Basketball. IMO he was not even the best player on the team. I don't think I saw him go past the 3 pt. line ever on offense. When Jeff Brandt came from Division II UND he averaged like 8 pts. a game on a terrible team . But I did see Travis Kraft hitting a shot at the buzzer against powerhouse Florida to win a game. I also saw Travis Kraft star on the BEST HIGH SCHOOL TEAM EVER from the state of ND. I saw him his junior year do a 180 dunk in traffic against DLB in the state tournament. I heard of him averaging 30 pts. a game his senior year. I'm a senior in high school and I heard of Travis Kraft who lived in the opposite corner of the state since he was a freshman in high school. But I never ever heard of Jeff Brandt until he was named Mr. Basketball. And there is no way you can tell me that Class B is not snubbed by having sportswriters vote who don't leave their respective cities. O and for the Kyle Carr debate. He scored his 1000th point at the state tournament his Sophomore year. He is close to top of the list in career rebounding and he was a very good passer but I guess James Hennessy did average 13 pts. a game his senior year to win the award. and in my opinion Evan Lindahl from Cando was VERY VERY deserving of the award.
Yeah, forgot to name Lindahl in that last post, he was one of the most deserving to not get it as well.  I believe he lost to Adam Dobmeier(spelling)
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:11 pm

The two biggest Mr. Basketball snubs over the past couple years IMO, is what you guys said, Carr and Nelson.

Both them guys reached the state tournament more then once, both were knowin troughout the state, if not for there own individual preformances, then from there fathers. Funny thing about Carr is he averaged more points his sophomore year, then he did his junior and senior season. Every year his scoring went down and his assists and rebounds rose. Not only did his other stats rise, but also his teammates production. If he would have wanted to, he probably could have scored well over the 20 pts/game his junior and senior season but decided to raise his assits and get his teammates involved which made his team better. Same with Nelson. Nelson could have been a GREAT scorer but he knew his role. He got his teammates involved, ran the offense, and got the job done without committing turnovers.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsperson » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:46 pm

I think the reason Hennessy got Mr. Basketball was because he was a better basketball player than Kyle Carr not because of his stats. I think that's how that works, isn't it?
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby sodadrinker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:57 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:i went to many MSU games when Jeff Brandt played and always wondered how he won Mr. Basketball. IMO he was not even the best player on the team. I don't think I saw him go past the 3 pt. line ever on offense. When Jeff Brandt came from Division II UND he averaged like 8 pts. a game on a terrible team . But I did see Travis Kraft hitting a shot at the buzzer against powerhouse Florida to win a game. I also saw Travis Kraft star on the BEST HIGH SCHOOL TEAM EVER from the state of ND. I saw him his junior year do a 180 dunk in traffic against DLB in the state tournament. I heard of him averaging 30 pts. a game his senior year. I'm a senior in high school and I heard of Travis Kraft who lived in the opposite corner of the state since he was a freshman in high school. But I never ever heard of Jeff Brandt until he was named Mr. Basketball. And there is no way you can tell me that Class B is not snubbed by having sportswriters vote who don't leave their respective cities. O and for the Kyle Carr debate. He scored his 1000th point at the state tournament his Sophomore year. He is close to top of the list in career rebounding and he was a very good passer but I guess James Hennessy did average 13 pts. a game his senior year to win the award. and in my opinion Evan Lindahl from Cando was VERY VERY deserving of the award.
i never heard of jeff brandt until he averaged i believe over 30 points a game in the state tournament leading his team to win the state championship either but the guy was amazing.  u wanna talk about dunking, i think brandt had about 10 of them in that state tournament.  he is probably the best shooter besides jeff boschee to come out of north dakota in the last 15 years and as for him not going inside the 3 point line must not have been that much of a big deal to the dakota wizards who payed him to do it for them.  travis craft deserved it and so did brandt but u cant say that craft got snubbed out of it.
Last edited by sodadrinker on Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby sodadrinker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:01 pm

sportsperson wrote:I think the reason Hennessy got Mr. Basketball was because he was a better basketball player than Kyle Carr not because of his stats. I think that's how that works, isn't it?

everytime ive seen hennessy play i didnt understand what the big deal about him was... i personally thought jordan engelhardt, kyle carr, and mike stowman all deserved it more than him
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:27 pm

If the media is out to get Class B, then why does Miss Basketball rotate so much?

By the way, Jeff Brandt wasn't that great of a player. He only averaged 27 points per game at Minot State and was the NCC freshman of the year at UND. But Travis Kraft did hit that ONE game winning shot, so he's a way better player.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Wildcat wrote:If the media is out to get Class B, then why does Miss Basketball rotate so much?

By the way, Jeff Brandt wasn't that great of a player. He only averaged 27 points per game at Minot State and was the NCC freshman of the year at UND. But Travis Kraft did hit that ONE game winning shot, so he's a way better player.

i always thought brandty started at MSU then transferred to UND?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:36 pm

baseball wrote:
Wildcat wrote:If the media is out to get Class B, then why does Miss Basketball rotate so much?

Other way. He played for UND for three years and transferred to MSU for his senior season.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Wildcat wrote:
baseball wrote:

Other way. He played for UND for three years and transferred to MSU for his senior season.

ok thanks, i was wondering how he was freshman of the year if he didnt start there.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bearsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:37 am

Something that is kinda throwing me off on this a little bit is that it seems that we are complaining about class B getting snubbed by class A because of the media not leaving home and making their votes for their "homies" but if I look at the list since 1995.... there is only 2 towns that have repeat winners and that is Fargo and Valley City and since I don't believe that Valley City is a media center of the state I'll talk about Fargo........ Tommy Leikas played at North and led that very good team.  I am not too sure who else was up for Mr. Basketball that year..... Tyler Koenig played at North and then D1 Wisconsin-Green Bay and he was a stud in high school......and Adam Dobmeier was a high school stud at South and was a leader at NDSU in 3 ptrs.  I think Adam and Tyler were good choices but Tommy was a winner because of season circumstances that North had.

What I am saying that if there was a "media center" I would have thought it was Bismarck and they only have one Mr Basketball winner.  For those of you that get the Bismarck tribune, you know as well as I do that Linton is a media center for them.  I am surprised that Carr didn't get Mr Basketball but maybe what they looked at was all of those poinits against teams like Ashley, Kulm, Wishek, Tappen and small schools like that and not having the competition against the same teams that a Brandt or Hennessy or MPCG.  But I do believe that Kraft should have at least been a co-Mr Basketball.

Bearsfan

Postby Indians are #1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:10 am

If Tony plays like he did in regionals he should get mr.basketball this year
Indians are #1

Postby fruit snack » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:12 am

Indians are #1 wrote:If Tony plays like he did in regionals he should get mr.basketball this year

theres no chance, he might be good enough to get it....but classA will get it, like tate kick
fruit snack

Postby Bearsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:55 am

fruit snack wrote:
Indians are #1 wrote:If Tony plays like he did in regionals he should get mr.basketball this year

theres no chance, he might be good enough to get it....but classA will get it, like tate kick

Him or D1 bound Qvale......... nothing against Tony or anyone else this year but something about a 6'11" Division 1 bound good player compared to a 5'11" very good player!!  Not my choice but I think that Qvale will get it.
Bearsfan

Postby cityleaguer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:23 am

sodadrinker wrote:
sportsperson wrote:I think the reason Hennessy got Mr. Basketball was because he was a better basketball player than Kyle Carr not because of his stats. I think that's how that works, isn't it?

everytime ive seen hennessy play i didnt understand what the big deal about him was... i personally thought jordan engelhardt, kyle carr, and mike stowman all deserved it more than him

Hennessey was by far the most intimidating player I played against in my days. The only other one I've come across that reminded me of him is Chad Glasser.  Besides, Hennessey did start since he was a freshmen which was rare back in 2001, usually only big guys start in class A around that age. He not only could pick you apart with the ball in his hands but seemed to know every move you were going to make on offense before you did. It was always scary when the clock would run down and he would sit there dribbling waiting to make his move.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:29 am

cityleaguer wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:

Hennessey was by far the most intimidating player I played against in my days. The only other one I've come across that reminded me of him is Chad Glasser.  Besides, Hennessey did start since he was a freshmen which was rare back in 2001, usually only big guys start in class A around that age. He not only could pick you apart with the ball in his hands but seemed to know every move you were going to make on offense before you did. It was always scary when the clock would run down and he would sit there dribbling waiting to make his move.
well i watched him play last year in some game against minot state and the minot point guard broke his ankles and made him fall so he apparently lost his intimidation factor
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wildcat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:49 am

I look at the name, glance at the comment and can't help but smile. I'll give Four Winds people their due credit, they're certainly die hard.

I think he'll be a candidate, albeit having a tough time doing so. There will probably be only two spots open for a B candidate. I know the media is big on Bakkum, especially since he signed at Mary. He will probably be one, while Lorenz and Ironheart I think will fight for the other. It should be Ironheart hands down over Lorenz, but you never know.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys