Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby BB11 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:58 am

To put in my two cents of these arguments.
I know both Travis Kraft and Jeff Brandt - It is hard to say who should have won it that year - although I though Travis should have - because they are basically the exact same player. They had the same personalities, the same style of game - although Travis would do more than shoot '3' balls - but so did Jeff in high school.
I agree it should have been a co-award - as their really was no distinguishing factor in their games - they were the same.
I've always said Craig Nelson deserved it. He is the best TRUE pt. guard I've seen ever in Class B. (Yes I know Hunter Berg was a pt. guard - but he was counted on to score a lot.)
This year it will be Brian Qvale - because he is from a Class A town, and because he is going to a d-1 school. Has he impressed me personally? Not really - he is a very good player - but I thought he would be extremely dominant - and he isn't.
My guess for nominees will be Qvale, Pelavek (Sp?) Bakkum, Ironheart, and Lorenz and one more from Class A - maybe Wilhelm.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby fruit snack » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:01 am

BB11 wrote:To put in my two cents of these arguments.
I know both Travis Kraft and Jeff Brandt - It is hard to say who should have won it that year - although I though Travis should have - because they are basically the exact same player. They had the same personalities, the same style of game - although Travis would do more than shoot '3' balls - but so did Jeff in high school.
I agree it should have been a co-award - as their really was no distinguishing factor in their games - they were the same.
I've always said Craig Nelson deserved it. He is the best TRUE pt. guard I've seen ever in Class B. (Yes I know Hunter Berg was a pt. guard - but he was counted on to score a lot.)
This year it will be Brian Qvale - because he is from a Class A town, and because he is going to a d-1 school. Has he impressed me personally? Not really - he is a very good player - but I thought he would be extremely dominant - and he isn't.
My guess for nominees will be Qvale, Pelavek (Sp?) Bakkum, Ironheart, and Lorenz and one more from Class A - maybe Wilhelm.

tate kick
fruit snack

Postby cityleaguer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:02 am

sodadrinker wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:
sportsperson wrote:I think the reason Hennessy got Mr. Basketball was because he was a better basketball player than Kyle Carr not because of his stats. I think that's how that works, isn't it?

everytime ive seen hennessy play i didnt understand what the big deal about him was... i personally thought jordan engelhardt, kyle carr, and mike stowman all deserved it more than him

Hennessey was by far the most intimidating player I played against in my days. The only other one I've come across that reminded me of him is Chad Glasser.  Besides, Hennessey did start since he was a freshmen which was rare back in 2001, usually only big guys start in class A around that age. He not only could pick you apart with the ball in his hands but seemed to know every move you were going to make on offense before you did. It was always scary when the clock would run down and he would sit there dribbling waiting to make his move.
well i watched him play last year in some game against minot state and the minot point guard broke his ankles and made him fall so he apparently lost his intimidation factor

Give him some credit for being a freshman last year though with no red shirt. It's gonna be tough going from high school straight into the college game.
cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:27 am

cityleaguer wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:
sportsperson wrote:I think the reason Hennessy got Mr. Basketball was because he was a better basketball player than Kyle Carr not because of his stats. I think that's how that works, isn't it?

everytime ive seen hennessy play i didnt understand what the big deal about him was... i personally thought jordan engelhardt, kyle carr, and mike stowman all deserved it more than him

Hennessey was by far the most intimidating player I played against in my days. The only other one I've come across that reminded me of him is Chad Glasser.  Besides, Hennessey did start since he was a freshmen which was rare back in 2001, usually only big guys start in class A around that age. He not only could pick you apart with the ball in his hands but seemed to know every move you were going to make on offense before you did. It was always scary when the clock would run down and he would sit there dribbling waiting to make his move.
well i watched him play last year in some game against minot state and the minot point guard broke his ankles and made him fall so he apparently lost his intimidation factor

Give him some credit for being a freshman last year though with no red shirt. It's gonna be tough going from high school straight into the college game.

oh i will give him a ton of credit i think he was top 5 in the state that year but those r just the guys i wouldve given it to over him
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby ballaholic#3 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 am

i don't get it. if you have better stats how are you not the better basketball player. by the way the only reason kyle carr is not playing college basketball somewhere is because he is too busy being a Minnesota Gopher at baseball. so he is better in hennessy at that too. i'll take a kid who averages a double double vs. a kid who had 13 pts. a game.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am

ballaholic#3 wrote:i don't get it. if you have better stats how are you not the better basketball player. by the way the only reason kyle carr is not playing college basketball somewhere is because he is too busy being a Minnesota Gopher at baseball. so he is better in hennessy at that too. i'll take a kid who averages a double double vs. a kid who had 13 pts. a game.

very true
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby ballaholic#3 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am

SCC wrote:
ballaholic#3 wrote:i don't get it. if you have better stats how are you not the better basketball player. by the way the only reason kyle carr is not playing college basketball somewhere is because he is too busy being a Minnesota Gopher at baseball. so he is better in hennessy at that too. i'll take a kid who averages a double double vs. a kid who had 13 pts. a game.

Using your logic that better stats = better player, could we say Carr peaked as a sophomore?  I don't think that's true, but that is what you are saying.

scoring did not decrease that much over those years But all his other numbers increased as opposing teams were geared to stop kyle carr. so his impact on the game was greater as he got older despite slightly lower scoring numbers.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am

SCC wrote:

Using your logic that better stats = better player, could we say Carr peaked as a sophomore?  I don't think that's true, but that is what you are saying.

that means by sayin he had better stats as a sophmore the only thing better he had were points.  i look at alot more than just points when it comes to being a good player.  taking your team to state 3 years in a row with chances to maybe win it makes him a good player.  just cuz he didnt average more points in his last 2 years doesnt mean his stats werent better.  he averaged something like 20, 10, and 8 his senior year
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby sodadrinker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 am

SCC wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:
SCC wrote:

that means by sayin he had better stats as a sophmore the only thing better he had were points.  i look at alot more than just points when it comes to being a good player.  taking your team to state 3 years in a row with chances to maybe win it makes him a good player.  just cuz he didnt average more points in his last 2 years doesnt mean his stats werent better.  he averaged something like 20, 10, and 8 his senior year

I agree with your argument.  I still don't think stats tell the whole story when making comparisons.

i dont think stats can say it all either... of course they help but when u look at like oj mayo this year, his stats arent as good as some other guys in the mcdonalds all american game but he is probably hands down the best player in the country
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby ballaholic#3 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 am

i think this year in high school basketball a Class A player should win it like Tate Kick because he led the best A team in the state to a championship. this year i just don't see that one dominant class B player like years past. but they wouldn't have won the award anyways. i think ironheart is great but not great enough for Mr. Basketball. Give it to Tate Kick.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballaholic#3 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:41 am

i think this year in high school basketball a Class A player should win it like Tate Kick because he led the best A team in the state to a championship. this year i just don't see that one dominant class B player like years past. but they wouldn't have won the award anyways. i think ironheart is great but not great enough for Mr. Basketball. Give it to Tate Kick.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wildcat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:57 am

You're not always the better basketball player because Carr got a chance to clean up against the easy teams in his district and region. More often than not, some of the worst Class A teams could contend in some regions to go to state.

That being said, the voting with Hennessy and Carr was very close and Hennessy won. I thought Hennessy was the more purer basketball player I guess, but Carr's numbers were outstanding and he was excellent in the state tournament his senior year, not just numbers wise, but his overall play was brilliant.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cityleaguer » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:15 am

Wildcat wrote:

You're not always the better basketball player because Carr got a chance to clean up against the easy teams in his district and region. More often than not, some of the worst Class A teams could contend in some regions to go to state.

That being said, the voting with Hennessy and Carr was very close and Hennessy won. I thought Hennessy was the more purer basketball player I guess, but Carr's numbers were outstanding and he was excellent in the state tournament his senior year, not just numbers wise, but his overall play was brilliant.

Not only that but try putting Hennessey on Linton's team and have Carr on Williston's and see what their stats would be? Plus, Hennessey had tremendous players his last 2 years for Williston, including Brian Qvale (soph) his senior year and Qvale was an all stater that year.

cityleaguer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby cdub1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:07 pm

cityleaguer wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

Not only that but try putting Hennessey on Linton's team and have Carr on Williston's and see what their stats would be? Plus, Hennessey had tremendous players his last 2 years for Williston, including Brian Qvale (soph) his senior year and Qvale was an all stater that year.

his sophomore year hennessey made qvale that good he is amazing now but when he was a sophomore it was hennessey making bondey and qvale good i think they would both attest to the fact that hennessey made them better and only 13 a game you are playing with 2 dominant post players you give them the ball

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:58 pm

Z
cdub1 wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

his sophomore year hennessey made qvale that good he is amazing now but when he was a sophomore it was hennessey making bondey and qvale good i think they would both attest to the fact that hennessey made them better and only 13 a game you are playing with 2 dominant post players you give them the ball
So who did Kyle Carr have on his team his senior year?  Did he have two dominant post players on his team?  I don't think so, the biggest help he had was his dad Dan Carr, coaching him.  Everyone knew that Carr was the man and was the reason other players were set up for points and they couldn't stop him.  He created shots for 5 people on the court at all times.  Carr got HOSED.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:03 pm

it isn't like carr had a bunch of stiffs on the team though.

sathren was decent, albeit playing on one leg. bodvig was/is one of the most athletic people on earth. craig weber was a decent post option, though not great. little bryce weber was a decent defender. don't remember what they had for a bench then.

carr had some help, but he was really the glue that held everything together, imo. still, definitely one of the better all-around players to play in the state.
rep

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:15 pm

rep wrote:it isn't like carr had a bunch of stiffs on the team though.

sathren was decent, albeit playing on one leg. bodvig was/is one of the most athletic people on earth. craig weber was a decent post option, though not great. little bryce weber was a decent defender. don't remember what they had for a bench then.

carr had some help, but he was really the glue that held everything together, imo. still, definitely one of the better all-around players to play in the state.

I think the thing that hurt Kyle the most was coming out and saying he wasn't going to be playing basketball in college. Since this award is based all on media, I don't think the media liked to hear that. The thing that made Kyle so great is how he played. He started playing as an 8th grader, as a freshmen no one really thought they needed to defend this 6'3" freshmen and Kyle just lit everyone up. He averaged 15 pts his freshmen year basically because no one thought they had to guard this kid. I'd say his sophomore year is when teams started thinking, ok, this kid is really good, and we need to stop him. So what does Kyle do, he goes out and gets all his teammates the ball. I like to compare his passing to Mark Bakkums passing. If any of you have ever seen Bakkum play, they pass the ball similar. They see the floor so incredibly well and seem to have that ability to just thread the needle. The thing that I think sets Kyle away from all other great basketball players, is how he scored. He would never, NEVER, take a bad shot. He was such a sufficient scorer. He wasn't going to come down and hoist up a 24 footer, or come down and take a quick pull up. That just wasn't him. He got his 18-20 a night by just doing a lot of little things right. IMO Hennesy was the 3rd best player that year behind Englhardt and Carr.

Back to where I started about him saying he was going to play baseball instead of basketball, I think that is the main reason that Rebecca Fiekert(sp?) last year from Sheridan County won it. She said she was going to Kansas and the media just ate that right up.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:24 pm

except that kansas isn't near the women's basketball school it is when you compare it to men's program which is year-in, year-out chock full of studs.

still, division 1 is division 1.

anyone know how feickert did/is doing her freshman year? did she redshirt or did she play? stats?
rep

Postby point/center » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:29 pm

Jenna Lemnus was at Louisville...Amber Land at Michigan directional...neither of those were nominated for MissBB....D1 doesnt=Mr. BB.

Les jepson played in the NBA....never was Mr. BB
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Ticket » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:15 pm

I think that Rebecca fiekert definantly deserved that award last year. She was crazy and i am not a girls basketball fan. This years Ms bball winner wasnt even close to her. Rebecca can play with the guys and do good, so you cant say it was just because she said she was going to kansas.
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:21 pm

Big Ticket wrote:I think that Rebecca fiekert definantly deserved that award last year. She was crazy and i am not a girls basketball fan. This years Ms bball winner wasnt even close to her. Rebecca can play with the guys and do good, so you cant say it was just because she said she was going to kansas.

i agree with a lot of what you said right up until saying this year's miss basketball wasn't even close. in the stutsman co. tournament central prairie shut down fieckert fairly well...no offense central prairie, but you aren't going to shut down kielpinski.

feickert was a completely different player though...where kielpinski is more of a traditional post, feickert was more of that point-forward kind of player. i think she could do more than kielpinski, but i think keilpinski (how ever you spell it), what she did, she did better than anyone.
rep

Postby Big Ticket » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:34 pm

ok let me refrase that. I exagerated on her not even being close. I just think that feickert could play the post good and she could shoot the 3 really good. I just think that feickert can do everything where kelpinskie could post up well and rebound well.
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:34 pm

point/center wrote:Jenna Lemnus was at Louisville...Amber Land at Michigan directional...neither of those were nominated for MissBB....D1 doesnt=Mr. BB.

Les jepson played in the NBA....never was Mr. BB

I didn't exactly mean it guarentees you Mr. Basketball. I just meant I don't think it helped him (Carr) to get Mr. Basketball by saying he was going to play baseball instead of basketball.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:47 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Z
cdub1 wrote:
cityleaguer wrote:
Wildcat wrote:

So who did Kyle Carr have on his team his senior year?  Did he have two dominant post players on his team?  I don't think so, the biggest help he had was his dad Dan Carr, coaching him.  Everyone knew that Carr was the man and was the reason other players were set up for points and they couldn't stop him.  He created shots for 5 people on the court at all times.  Carr got HOSED.

i will not argue that he should have won

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NDdominator » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:53 pm

yea those past years should have been a B kid but these past two years Mertens was hands down easily the best player in the state few will argue that and this this year there are four class A players that if they got the award would be deserving and are IMO better than all Class B players not alot better but better
NDdominator

PreviousNext

Return to Boys