Reffing in class A

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby nativegolfer » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:51 pm

Anyone catch the Call A games?  You had to notice the reffing and how they where letting em play even the girls games  That's the way all games should be reffed.  The reason I bring it up is because in region 4 it's ticky tack city all the way!  Every little thing is called.  I don't know how it is in other regions.
Last edited by nativegolfer on Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:55 pm

I agree 100%. I'm sick of any awkward foot movement being a travel no matter what, and every block, clean or not, is a foul 99% of the time. I think refs blow their whistles even before contact is made.
project-pat

Postby baller01 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:55 pm

I watched the boy's game and they did let them play. A little too much maybe? I like physical play but theres gotta be a line drawn somewhere.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:58 pm

My thing with reffing is just be consistant.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby skman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:58 pm

[user=1515]baller01[/user] wrote:
I watched the boy's game and they did let them play. A little too much maybe? I like physical play but theres gotta be a line drawn somewhere.

I have no problem with letting them play. the annoying part is when they call the little reaches and then let them hammer the posts or vice versa. it can really give an advantage to one team or other. also don't like 3 refs. too many excuses to use, like, "not my call or area".
It's not how you drive, it's how you arrive
skman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:02 pm

ndfan wrote:My thing with reffing is just be consistant.

Yeah, in a bowman JV game this year, a kid was going up for a layup, and a defender jumps with his shoulder lowered and just levels him, no whistle is blown, then on the very next play a player is going up, not even touched by his defender, and a foul is called. Refs are too inconsistent.
project-pat

Postby grizz » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:50 pm

I think the refs wait for the other ref to call the foul, then by the time they realize the other one isnt going to call it its too late. It wouldnt be so bad if it werent so one-sided.
NDPreps All-Pro
grizz
NDPreps All-State

Postby mags » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:08 am

region 6 things were called a lot all year long but they stated to let us play a little more around tourney time.. also i almost think with 3 refs LESS is called?? i dont know but thats just the way it seems
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby basketballer » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:15 am

nativegolfer wrote:Anyone catch the Call A games?  You had to notice the reffing and how they where letting em play even the girls games  That's the way all games should be reffed.  The reason I bring it up is because in region 4 it's ticky tack city all the way!  Every little thing is called.  I don't know how it is in other regions.

i agree, region 3 is the same way.
basketballer

Postby sportsperson » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:20 am

project-pat wrote:

Yeah, in a bowman JV game this year, a kid was going up for a layup, and a defender jumps with his shoulder lowered and just levels him, no whistle is blown, then on the very next play a player is going up, not even touched by his defender, and a foul is called. Refs are too inconsistent.

You didn't say it, but if both fouls were on the same team I'm sure the second one was probably a makeup call for missing the first one.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:33 am

sportsperson wrote:
project-pat wrote:

You didn't say it, but if both fouls were on the same team I'm sure the second one was probably a makeup call for missing the first one.

It was on the other team on the other end of the court.
project-pat

Postby sportsperson » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:51 pm

I see. I guess I'd probably call that inconsistency then.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbb » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:55 pm

Class A basketball is a physical game.  I haven't seen or played in a game that they called soft calls, they just roll the ball out and go hard for 36 minutes.
ndbb
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby freak722 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:33 pm

Class B reffing should be more like class A. Too many refs call the game soft and ruin the way basketball should be played. just MOP.
freak722
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:35 pm

There is something I wanna know though. If class A is so much more physical, then why do some players sometimes shoot 20 free throws a game? I've seen games where some class A players will go like 17-20 from the free throw line. How does that work?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:42 pm

baller01 wrote:There is something I wanna know though. If class A is so much more physical, then why do some players sometimes shoot 20 free throws a game? I've seen games where some class A players will go like 17-20 from the free throw line. How does that work?

qvale gets fouled alot farkus is good at drawing fouls which is who i think u r talkin about

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby deere » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:27 am

freak722 wrote:Class B reffing should be more like class A. Too many refs call the game soft and ruin the way basketball should be played. just MOP.

Yes I TOTALLY AGREE!!!  anyone know who the SELECTED refs for The State are??And what games in the first round to each have????
deere

Postby fastbreak43 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 am

I don't mind the physical post play.  The part that gets me is the hand in the belly, shirt grabbing that they allow on the ball.  You should not be allowed to man handle a person who is dribbling the ball.  That is a foul.  For the last 5 years the refs say a point of emphasis will be placed on hand checking.  Really.  That is a bunch of crap.  Too many lazy referees.  Take some pride in your work.
fastbreak43

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:24 am

I think that the quality of reffing has diminished since they went to three man crews....at least  when they were two man, they hustled to get into position, now they just hope someone else makes the call.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoops247 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:08 am

Baller wrote:I think that the quality of reffing has diminished since they went to three man crews....at least  when they were two man, they hustled to get into position, now they just hope someone else makes the call.

I think some of you guys need to start officiating.  Sounds like that would instantly improve the of pool of quality officials that would be available.  At least several of you seem to have a lot of knowledge about how the game should be called! 

Pretty easy from the bleachers.;)
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:18 am

hoops247 wrote:
Baller wrote:I think that the quality of reffing has diminished since they went to three man crews....at least  when they were two man, they hustled to get into position, now they just hope someone else makes the call.

I think some of you guys need to start officiating.  Sounds like that would instantly improve the of pool of quality officials that would be available.  At least several of you seem to have a lot of knowledge about how the game should be called! 

Pretty easy from the bleachers.;)

Actually, I do ref sub varsity stuff where we only run two man and have talked to a lot of guys that do three man.  They even say that they find themselves out of position more often and your area is not as clear as it was with two man.  I do like the three man crews, I just think that they need to get used to it more.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys