Region Disappointments

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:22 am

horne98 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
SCC wrote:
Wildcat wrote:I think MPCG is a big disappointment for all the talk about Lorenz and being ranked in the poll.

Oh, please...

Like or not, Region 2 wasn't exactly the toughest region and they were ranked early on because SOMEONE kept voting for them when they were 7-4.
The patriots were never 7-4. And after they lost two games they were not in the top ten until they were 13-4. I honestly think mpcg overachieved this year. I would definately not call them a disappointment.
oh sorry, they were 7-3 and 8-4 and got votes in EVERY POLL. Even after they started 3-2. They should have went to state. Why is that so hard to believe considering they were the highest ranked team in the poll out of Region 2 for almost the entire year? Somebody in the East must have thought they were the best if they voted them higher than anyone in Region 2.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bill » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:55 pm

i think westhope was a big dissapointment because they are way better than they way they played that night and they shouldn't of lost by 13 or 16.........but they also were playing the day after one of their classmates died
bill
NDPreps Reserve

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:58 pm

KILLDEER
project-pat

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:01 pm

project-pat wrote:KILLDEER

Beulah...preseason #2 in the state. Coming down from class A. Killdeer was picked 17th in the state preseason. Not saying they aren't a disappointment, I just think Beulah was the bigger disappointment. Considering they lost to Beach, no offense.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:06 pm

baller01 wrote:

Beulah...preseason #2 in the state. Coming down from class A. Killdeer was picked 17th in the state preseason. Not saying they aren't a disappointment, I just think Beulah was the bigger disappointment. Considering they lost to Beach, no offense.

Yeah, but I knew Beulah was gonna be a disappointment from the start, so they werent my "region" disappointment
project-pat

Postby unc2 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:44 pm

I think killdeer was a bigger disapoinment then beulah
unc2
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDball33 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:05 pm

project-pat wrote:
baller01 wrote:

Yeah, but I knew Beulah was gonna be a disappointment from the start, so they werent my "region" disappointment
I agree, I figured the same thing about Beulah.  If anything, I was surprised they made it as far as they did.  Killdeer on the other hand really surprised me.  I thought they would do much better.
NDball33
NDPreps Rookie

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:07 pm

Thompson was the preseason number 2 in the state, I think Beulah was three.  Maybe it was flipped around, but anyways both were HUGE disappointments.  I think Thompson was more though because they had the core of their team from the year before back and didn't make it past the first day of regionals?  They lost to Park River who ended up getting 4th in the Region.  No knocks to Park River, they were without Moe for 3/4 of the tournament because although he played and played well against Thompson, his ankle was bothering him by the end of the game and I think the pure adrenaline kept him going.  Thompsons team seemed like they didn't have the right attitude as a team to go to state.  It almost seemed like they expected everyone to hand it to them because they were the favorite.  It seems odd how the same athletes that play basketball also play baseball and the Thompson baseball program is one of the most successful in the state, yet the boys basketball team hasn't made it to the State "B" once.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:11 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Thompson was the preseason number 2 in the state, I think Beulah was three.  Maybe it was flipped around, but anyways both were HUGE disappointments.  I think Thompson was more though because they had the core of their team from the year before back and didn't make it past the first day of regionals?  They lost to Park River who ended up getting 4th in the Region.  No knocks to Park River, they were without Moe for 3/4 of the tournament because although he played and played well against Thompson, his ankle was bothering him by the end of the game and I think the pure adrenaline kept him going.  Thompsons team seemed like they didn't have the right attitude as a team to go to state.  It almost seemed like they expected everyone to hand it to them because they were the favorite.  It seems odd how the same athletes that play basketball also play baseball and the Thompson baseball program is one of the most successful in the state, yet the boys basketball team hasn't made it to the State "B" once.

1.Parshall
2.Beulah
3. Thompson
4. ML
5. Standing Rock

Now that I write that, what about Standing Rock??? Ranked #5 preseason, had one of the best guards in the state returning in Kuntz, and don't even make it into the regional championship???
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:16 pm

SCC wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
horne98 wrote:
Wildcat wrote:
SCC wrote:
Wildcat wrote:I think MPCG is a big disappointment for all the talk about Lorenz and being ranked in the poll.

Oh, please...

Like or not, Region 2 wasn't exactly the toughest region and they were ranked early on because SOMEONE kept voting for them when they were 7-4.
The patriots were never 7-4. And after they lost two games they were not in the top ten until they were 13-4. I honestly think mpcg overachieved this year. I would definately not call them a disappointment.
oh sorry, they were 7-3 and 8-4 and got votes in EVERY POLL. Even after they started 3-2. They should have went to state. Why is that so hard to believe considering they were the highest ranked team in the poll out of Region 2 for almost the entire year? Somebody in the East must have thought they were the best if they voted them higher than anyone in Region 2.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Park River ranked when MPCG was out of the poll late in the season?  Their 3-2 start included a season opener against a Park Christian team that was ranked in Minnesota and had already played a few games, and MPCG only lost that game by 2 points (and they were without their head coach).  MPCG could compete with most of the teams in this state tournament.

I looked back, and it appears that MPCG ended the regular season ranked #8.  There must have been a few people who thought they were worthy of being ranked.
I'm going to have to agree with horne98 on this one.  MPCG did overachieve this year.  Yes, Luke Lorenz got bragged up on this site way too much, not that it isn't deserved, but it doesn't need to be said as often as it was.  It's almost as bad as the "TI" talk.  But, MPCG only had Lorenz bragged up, Klath a little but only by like one or two people.  Just because they didn't go to state doesn't make them a disapointment.  I think the early season votes in the poll reflect what teams did in the year before.  MPCG was the state runner-up last year so naturally when voters see they have 2 starters back, one being Lorenz, they will get some recognition whether it is 100% deserved or not.  It's not like MPCG lost to a #4 seed or got upset real bad.  Midway-Minto was the #1 seed out of the better district and beat MPCG by 1 point.  I personally thought Dave Nelson should've won coach of the year in Region II this year.  Shane Robinson is good coach but he had the core of his team back this year like Thompson.  For Dave to replace 4 starters and a 6th man in one season with players without a lot of experience and finish as close to getting to the championship game as you can be is quite a feat.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:21 pm

baller01 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Thompson was the preseason number 2 in the state, I think Beulah was three.  Maybe it was flipped around, but anyways both were HUGE disappointments.  I think Thompson was more though because they had the core of their team from the year before back and didn't make it past the first day of regionals?  They lost to Park River who ended up getting 4th in the Region.  No knocks to Park River, they were without Moe for 3/4 of the tournament because although he played and played well against Thompson, his ankle was bothering him by the end of the game and I think the pure adrenaline kept him going.  Thompsons team seemed like they didn't have the right attitude as a team to go to state.  It almost seemed like they expected everyone to hand it to them because they were the favorite.  It seems odd how the same athletes that play basketball also play baseball and the Thompson baseball program is one of the most successful in the state, yet the boys basketball team hasn't made it to the State "B" once.

1.Parshall
2.Beulah
3. Thompson
4. ML
5. Standing Rock

Now that I write that, what about Standing Rock??? Ranked #5 preseason, had one of the best guards in the state returning in Kuntz, and don't even make it into the regional championship???
ML was a disappointment too... FW was predicted to finish FIFTH in their REGION and 3rd in their district. 
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jetblue12 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:09 am

i dont think they expected everyone to hand it to them.  last year they won a lot of games by a few points and this year they lost them, i think 8 loses by less than 6 points.  i dont think they got lucky last year, they just won them nail biters and this year they lost them,,, sure they had a disappointing year, and a dissappointing round one exit in regionals, but i cant agree that they expected it handed to them.  yes they were the favorite but i think the players are smart enough to know that the 05-06 season was no breeze and this season everyone would be gunning for them.   maybe its a leadership difference at the top for the two sports baseball and basketball.  baseball is rated at the top and they stay there.
jetblue12
NDPreps Starter

Postby jumpshot22 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:32 am

Region 3- Two powerhouses the last few years in Lamoure and Linton. I feel for the Lamoure fans-they cheer their team on year in and year out and when it comes to the Region tournament the team seems to choke. I am a Lamoure fan but hate to say that that team has a huge monkey on their backs when it comes to regionals. Look at 3 years ago even. Lamoure had Linton beat in the first half I think led 31-10 at halftime and then end up losing the game by only scoring like 10+points the entire second half. I hate to say it but when it comes to Lamoure and regionals I am going to have to pick the teams they will be facing to beat them until they prove us wrong. Good Luck Lamoure and better luck next year! Maybe 2007-08 will be the year you get that monkey off your back!
jumpshot22

Postby itsmillertime » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:54 pm

Lisbon's coaching staff needs to implement some type of zone defenses and also do more screening and rolling with some set plays , not just free lance offense.

They should  watch what other successful teams are doing against them, especially late in the season. You have to be able to adapt and change , not do the same thing all season long. That goes for both offense and defense.

There passing skills could use some inprovement. But they had a better year than most people predicted. They have a some good experienced kids  for next year. 
itsmillertime

Postby Mailman_25 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:59 pm

This is like the 20th post ripping Lisbon's coach. You guys must really have a problem down there. I always thought he was a good coach, but than again, I don't get to as many games as I used to.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:01 pm

jumpshot22 wrote:Region 3- Two powerhouses the last few years in Lamoure and Linton. I feel for the Lamoure fans-they cheer their team on year in and year out and when it comes to the Region tournament the team seems to choke. I am a Lamoure fan but hate to say that that team has a huge monkey on their backs when it comes to regionals. Look at 3 years ago even. Lamoure had Linton beat in the first half I think led 31-10 at halftime and then end up losing the game by only scoring like 10+points the entire second half. I hate to say it but when it comes to Lamoure and regionals I am going to have to pick the teams they will be facing to beat them until they prove us wrong. Good Luck Lamoure and better luck next year! Maybe 2007-08 will be the year you get that monkey off your back!

This is very true. I have no clue what it is... About that game though, it wasn't 31-10. Linton had more points then 10 at halftime and it was a 17 point lead for LaMoure going into halftime. That was one of the top 3 or 4 games I've ever seen though, classic.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby munson11 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:41 am

baller01 wrote:
jumpshot22 wrote:Region 3- Two powerhouses the last few years in Lamoure and Linton. I feel for the Lamoure fans-they cheer their team on year in and year out and when it comes to the Region tournament the team seems to choke. I am a Lamoure fan but hate to say that that team has a huge monkey on their backs when it comes to regionals. Look at 3 years ago even. Lamoure had Linton beat in the first half I think led 31-10 at halftime and then end up losing the game by only scoring like 10+points the entire second half. I hate to say it but when it comes to Lamoure and regionals I am going to have to pick the teams they will be facing to beat them until they prove us wrong. Good Luck Lamoure and better luck next year! Maybe 2007-08 will be the year you get that monkey off your back!

This is very true. I have no clue what it is... About that game though, it wasn't 31-10. Linton had more points then 10 at halftime and it was a 17 point lead for LaMoure going into halftime. That was one of the top 3 or 4 games I've ever seen though, classic.

That game was heart breaking. :(

It's true though, I'm a LaMoure fan and I'm always cheering for them, but when it comes to regionals, everybody knows it's a lost hope, ESPECIALLY when it's going to be Linton.

The guy on the radio said that since the year 2000, Linton has knocked us out of the tourney 5 times, and like 2 or something times it's been in the regional championship.

This year LaMoure to me was my biggest dissapointment. With Brandenburg, Holen, and Shockman I was expecting, like the post above, nothing less than state. Guess I should have realized they would have to go through regionals :P
munson11

Postby itsmillertime » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:04 am

He has won a lot of games so he's considered a good coach but there have been many good players here.

I just feel that many other teams have  figured out his way of coaching and he needs to make a few changes if they are gonna get anywhere. 
itsmillertime

Postby philshometown » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:31 am

Two all-state selections from Killdeer, I would have to say that is disappointing that they did not get further...
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby allsport » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:57 am

Mailman_25 wrote:This is like the 20th post ripping Lisbon's coach. You guys must really have a problem down there. I always thought he was a good coach, but than again, I don't get to as many games as I used to.

It is the expectation of most coaches that kids work on their game in the off season to improve their skills by attending team camps and open gym etc. But it is the responsibility of the coaches to also learn and improve their techniques to lead the team. Some are obviously not willing or not interested in doing that. You wonder why they are still in coaching.
allsport
NDPreps Reserve

Postby itsmillertime » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:23 am

Very well stated.   I agree.  If they aren't willing to work as hard as they expect their team to work then it may be time to get out of coaching.
itsmillertime

Postby Mailman_25 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:10 am

I was reading about new Gopher coach Tubby Smith and I came across a statement by someone that said "when you've been coaching somewhere, anywhere, for 10 years, its time to move on."

After reading your comments, I couldn't help but think of that article. With the pressure coaching combined with the pay scale in smaller ND school, finding quality coaches must be a chore.  Can Lisbon do better??????
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby itsmillertime » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:54 am

While the salary for coaching is not great, and there is a lot of pressure most small town coaches do it because they enjoy it.

I don't know if Lisbon would get a better coach or not but many times change is good. New ideas and coaching philosophies can bring about different results.

Something needs to be done whether it be the coach changing some things he's doing or changing to a different coach.
itsmillertime

Postby allsport » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:30 am

SCC wrote:I think ripping coaches is uncalled for.  When a team plays well, the players get most of the credit.  When a team doesn't meet expectations, the coach is usually blamed.  It's not easy being a coach.

My statement was not meant to "rip" any coaches and I disagree that when teams do well the players get most of the credit. When teams do well it is just that "a team effort". Afterall, the coach is the most important part of the team. Coaches are professionals and similar to a Management position they will be scrutinized when their "employees" don't perform to potential. Not too many jobs are easy these days.
allsport
NDPreps Reserve

Postby itsmillertime » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:07 am

Yes coaching is a tuff job.  But if you take the job then you should give your team every opportunity to win by teaching them all the offenses and defenses and skills needed to do their very best. Just as a boss of a business does.

As a coach you are the boss and therefore will be praised when you win and critized when you lose.

A coach should always be looking at making changes to improve their team unless they are always at the very top.
itsmillertime

Previous

Return to Boys