Region Sr. Players of the year

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby region1 football » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:40 pm

Does anyone have any predictions on who will receive the Sr. Player of the year awards.  Im curiouse to see Region 3 with Sizer and Bakkum.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:41 pm

Region 7- Jacob Wheeling (killdeer)
project-pat

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:42 pm

Region 2 Lorenz

Region 4 Ironhart
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby J-Rod34 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Region 8- Nathaniel Packineau
J-Rod34

Postby ndsbest44 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:14 pm

When do the coaches vote for region player of the year?
ndsbest44
NDPreps Starter

Postby sodadrinker » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:23 pm

all i know is that if tony ironheart doesnt get it from region 4 im gonna individually go around and ask the coaches and if they didnt vote for him im gonna kick them in the groin
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:31 pm

sodadrinker wrote:all i know is that if tony ironheart doesnt get it from region 4 im gonna individually go around and ask the coaches and if they didnt vote for him im gonna kick them in the groin

hahaha same for Bakkum.  sure Sizer is good but he's one dimensional, whereas Bakkum can play inside and outside, run the point, play center, or run of picks.  He is the best player in the regoin
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsbest44 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:34 pm

baseball wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:all i know is that if tony ironheart doesnt get it from region 4 im gonna individually go around and ask the coaches and if they didnt vote for him im gonna kick them in the groin

hahaha same for Bakkum.  sure Sizer is good but he's one dimensional, whereas Bakkum can play inside and outside, run the point, play center, or run of picks.  He is the best player in the regoin

I have confidence that bakkum will win the award, i wanted to know when the coaches vote because i didn't know if the early exit in region would affect him, it shouldn't he's deserving of the award
Last edited by ndsbest44 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ndsbest44
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:31 am

[user=1190]ndsbest44[/user] wrote:
baseball wrote:

I have confidence that bakkum will win the award, i wanted to know when the coaches vote because i didn't know if the early exit in region would affect him, it shouldn't he's deserving of the award

The coaches vote for sr. athlete of the year the day after the districts are concluded.
And I would say Region 6 would go to Michael Cooper of Westhope-Newburg
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballer2 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:16 am

baseball wrote:

i believe sizer is more deserving... hes awesome... there team is winning... he puts up bigger numbers... and hes a better ball player... he is as deserving and probably more...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:30 am

bballer2 wrote:
baseball wrote:

i believe sizer is more deserving... hes awesome... there team is winning... he puts up bigger numbers... and hes a better ball player... he is as deserving and probably more...

Is this really even a question??? I mean seriously, Sizer is a TREMENDOUS player no doubt. And if the award went to the player that scored the most points and pulled down the most rebounds, it would definately be Sizer. But senior athlete goes to the best player that is a senior. The difference between these two is Sizer has 4 other guys trying to get him the ball at all times on the floor. Bakkum doesn't have anyone to set him up. He has to create his own shots for himself and create shots for his teammates. All Sizer has to do is stand in the post and wait for the 4 BCN guards to throw him the ball. Both are very deserving of this award though and both are very good players, but IMO, Bakkum is the better player.

And if Steele would have been in the lower bracket, they would be playing on Thursday too. Maybe not for the regional championship, but they for sure wouldn't  have been 1 and done. It is unfortunate for Bakkum though, he deserved to play a few more games.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndbbfan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:18 am

baller01 wrote:
bballer2 wrote:
baseball wrote:

Is this really even a question??? I mean seriously, Sizer is a TREMENDOUS player no doubt. And if the award went to the player that scored the most points and pulled down the most rebounds, it would definately be Sizer. But senior athlete goes to the best player that is a senior. The difference between these two is Sizer has 4 other guys trying to get him the ball at all times on the floor. Bakkum doesn't have anyone to set him up. He has to create his own shots for himself and create shots for his teammates. All Sizer has to do is stand in the post and wait for the 4 BCN guards to throw him the ball. Both are very deserving of this award though and both are very good players, but IMO, Bakkum is the better player.

And if Steele would have been in the lower bracket, they would be playing on Thursday too. Maybe not for the regional championship, but they for sure wouldn't  have been 1 and done. It is unfortunate for Bakkum though, he deserved to play a few more games.

I don't think it's quite as easy as you make it sound.  Every game he is double and triple teamed, and has to constantly work to get around those defenders to even get a chance to get the ball.  Not quite as easy as sitting outside shooting the three-ball IMO.  Both Bakkum and Sizer have had outstanding high school careers, but gotta give this one to Sizer.
ndbbfan

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:37 am

They are both deserving but agree with me or not here is my arguement for Bakkum.

FG%       Bakkum-52.5     Sizer-59.5     (majority of Bakkum's shots are outside 10 feet whereas Sizer takes probably close to 90% inside 5)

Steals     Bakkum-3.6      Sizer-1.0    (Bakkum more active on the defensive end)

Ast/TO    Bakkum-2.6       Sizer-0.5    (Bakkum better passes and proved the ability to find open teammates, Sizer's 1.4 APG doesnt impress me so much for a Sr of the year)

FT%        Bakkum-80.0%    Sizer-64.6% 

Last point, who would you rather have to ball in his hands the closing seconds a guy who can create for himself (Bakkum) or a nervous freshman gaurd with the goal to get it to the go to guy (Sizer).  I jsut feel Sizer lacks alot of the things other then scoring and rebounding that makes for a great ball player.  good yes, great is a stretch.
Sizer as the edge in the socring and rebounding but Bakkum as the edge in EVERY other category.  making him the better player and the best in the region
Last edited by baseball on Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbbfan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:56 am

baseball wrote:They are both deserving but agree with me or not here is my arguement for Bakkum.

FG%       Bakkum-52.5     Sizer-59.5     (majority of Bakkum's shots are outside 10 feet whereas Sizer takes probably close to 90% inside 5)

Steals     Bakkum-3.6      Sizer-1.0    (Bakkum more active on the defensive end)

Ast/TO    Bakkum-2.6       Sizer-0.5    (Bakkum better passes and proved the ability to find open teammates, Sizer's 1.4 APG doesnt impress me so much for a Sr of the year)

Last point, who would you rather have to ball in his hands the closing seconds a guy who can create for himself (Bakkum) or a nervous freshman gaurd with the goal to get it to the go to guy (Sizer).  I jsut feel Sizer lacks alot of the things other then scoring and rebounding that makes for a great ball player.  good yes, great is a stretch.
Sizer as the edge in the socring and rebounding but Bakkum as the edge in EVERY other category.  making him the better player and the best in the region

While stats are important, they are not the only thing considered when making this choice.  The coaches look at other things as well.  Sizer is a monster in the paint, but have seen him hit some very nice jumpers as well.  Defensively, he has stepped up to the top level this year IMO.  And as for him "lacking alot of things", that is a bit of a "stretch". 
ndbbfan

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:19 am

ndbbfan wrote:
baseball wrote:They are both deserving but agree with me or not here is my arguement for Bakkum.

While stats are important, they are not the only thing considered when making this choice.  The coaches look at other things as well.  Sizer is a monster in the paint, but have seen him hit some very nice jumpers as well.  Defensively, he has stepped up to the top level this year IMO.  And as for him "lacking alot of things", that is a bit of a "stretch". 

1 steal a game and 1 block a game......wow i hate to even imagine the extraordinary numbers he had last year........

and as for these "very nice jumpers", i didnt say he couldnt knock them down.  but my question is does he do it while driving from the wing and pull up or does he catch a pass and square up??  anyone can catch and shoot a 15 footer, the thing that seperates people is the ability to create for themselves and knock the 15 footer
Last edited by baseball on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:23 am

lil off topic but where is Sizer playin college ball? i havent heard anything
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby 3s & Dunks » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 am

THIS IS A NO CONTEST:  :Mark Bakkum Wins it. He has the all around game can play Defense, can guard in Class B, either a guard or a post player.  He runs the floor very well, can pass outside, inside, wrap around, put ball on floor, hit the 3, Even LOng Range, hit the pull up J. But Really doesnt have a good core of players to help him as a team. Yes Sizer put up a lot of points, mostly really close range and easy shots.He rebounds  very well, boxes out great.  He does not run the floor very well.  Defense well like last night the Leir(sp) kid took  it to Sizer but really could not finish at all. Leir probably on 7 out of 8 nights does the same thing cant finish.Even in Dist. Champ against Shockman, Shockman didnt get the  ball enough to make Sizer Play Defense.Most times Bakkum does not get any easy shots from his teammates, he has to create on his own.
3s & Dunks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jumpshot22 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:47 am

its kind of funny u didn't put points or rebounds up there were sizer really dominates
jumpshot22

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:51 am

jumpshot22 wrote:its kind of funny u didn't put points or rebounds up there were sizer really dominates

read the 2nd to last sentence in teh post with all the stats.   Sizer as the edge in the socring and rebounding but Bakkum as the edge in EVERY other category.

and another the other reason point and rebounds arent up there is the reason you just proved......thats all people seem to care about when deciding best player.  I put up the stats people dont take into account all the time.  how many people will look at AST-TO ratio.  thank you for being the example to my statement.

But your right he "dominates" points....25.7 vs. 24?????? i wouldnt say he really dominates with that 1.7 ppg edge.
Last edited by baseball on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbbfan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:03 am

baseball wrote:
ndbbfan wrote:

1 steal a game and 1 block a game......wow i hate to even imagine the extraordinary numbers he had last year........

and as for these "very nice jumpers", i didnt say he couldnt knock them down.  but my question is does he do it while driving from the wing and pull up or does he catch a pass and square up??  anyone can catch and shoot a 15 footer, the thing that seperates people is the ability to create for themselves and knock the 15 footer
Can anyone move and create in the paint too while being triple-teamed?  Sizer does, Bakkum doesn't and doesn't have to.  Bakkum excels from the perimeter, Sizer in the paint.  You have to create for yourself no matter whatever position you are playing. 
ndbbfan

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:17 am

The reason Bakkum doesnt manuver to get a layup while triple teamed in the paint is because he has something Sizer doesnt.....a PASS.  and to say he cant do it is false, since ive seen it done numerous times.  ill agree Sizer excels inside and Bakkum outside.  but another differance is that Bakkum HAS THE ABILITY to play inside, i dont belive Sizer has to ability to play every position like Bakkum does. 

Best post -Sizer, Best PLAYER-Bakkum
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rkmt » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:23 am

Count me as a vote for Bakkum.  I've seen them both play just a few times, and Sizer does some amazing things - the way he finds a way to basket for rebounds could be a nice edge for BCN if Linton is having even a slightly sub-par shooting night - they won't get many second shots from what I've seen.  However, I liked Bakkum as an all around player that can take control of the whole floor.  It's hard to compare a post and a perimeter player sometimes, but Bakkum has great numbers and yet plays pretty unselfishly IMO.  At 24 points and over 8 assists, he's directly involved with 40+ points a night, not to mention possessions he gets back averaging almost 4 steals.  He's not that far under a double in the rebounding department either.  No, stats aren't the only thing, but they do tell a pretty good story about what a player does for his team when you look across the whole stat sheet, and Bakkum makes things happen for everyone.

No one should feel bad either way it goes.  I think Bakkum will get it.  However, I won't speak for him since I don't know him personally, but he seems like the type of person who'd trade places with Sizer in a heartbeat to have his team playing tomorrow night even if it meant no shot at the award.  POY is nice but we're probably a lot more interested in who gets it than the 2 players themselves are.  Bakkum doesn't need the award to impress anyone since he already knows where he's going to play D-II basketball, and Sizer still has a shot to go to state which I'm sure he's concentrating on.   It a good debate though, and hopefully everyone will be congratulatory on here once it has been announced because they've both had great careers.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndbbfan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:25 am

baseball wrote:The reason Bakkum doesnt manuver to get a layup while triple teamed in the paint is because he has something Sizer doesnt.....a PASS.  and to say he cant do it is false, since ive seen it done numerous times.  ill agree Sizer excels inside and Bakkum outside.  but another differance is that Bakkum HAS THE ABILITY to play inside, i dont belive Sizer has to ability to play every position like Bakkum does. 

What makes you think Sizer doesn't "have the ability" to play the perimeter?    Again, you are putting the importance of one position above the other.  Both are important for team success.  Whatever happens, congrats to both players on their great senior years. 
ndbbfan

Postby baseball » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:33 am

ndbbfan wrote:
baseball wrote:The reason Bakkum doesnt manuver to get a layup while triple teamed in the paint is because he has something Sizer doesnt.....a PASS.  and to say he cant do it is false, since ive seen it done numerous times.  ill agree Sizer excels inside and Bakkum outside.  but another differance is that Bakkum HAS THE ABILITY to play inside, i dont belive Sizer has to ability to play every position like Bakkum does. 

What makes you think Sizer doesn't "have the ability" to play the perimeter?    Again, you are putting the importance of one position above the other.  Both are important for team success.  Whatever happens, congrats to both players on their great senior years. 

I didnt say one position was more important then the other, i jsut said Bakkum can play more then one position.  the award is senior player of the year.....they only give one, and IMO Bakkum is the best player in the region.  if they gave one for every position no doubt Sizer would get one of the five, but they only give out 1 and if the coaches look at more then just points and rebounds they will see Bakkum is better.  I wont complain if Sizer gets it, hes a great player, i just think bakkum is better so i will congratulate whoever wins
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbbfan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:53 am

baseball wrote:
ndbbfan wrote:

I didnt say one position was more important then the other, i jsut said Bakkum can play more then one position.  the award is senior player of the year.....they only give one, and IMO Bakkum is the best player in the region.  if they gave one for every position no doubt Sizer would get one of the five, but they only give out 1 and if the coaches look at more then just points and rebounds they will see Bakkum is better.  I wont complain if Sizer gets it, hes a great player, i just think bakkum is better so i will congratulate whoever wins

Sizer can play more than one position as well, so that's a moot point.  Your opinion is Bakkum, mine is Sizer.   
ndbbfan

Next

Return to Boys