Home Court Advantage in Regionals

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:49 am

but....when you get to play regionals on a court that you practice on everyday....that gives you a HUGE advantage over the rest of the field.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:47 pm

If you let that "home court" advantage get to your head then it is an advantage for the home school.  MENTAL TOUGHNESS!!  Home court is all Hettinger seems to be talking about before the tournament so I guess it will be an issue for them.  They just need to come in and execute and play smart and they'll have a chance....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby freak722 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:45 am

Posted: Sun Mar 4th, 2007 09:00 pm

grizz wrote:[quote="thundastruck."][quote="propel23"][quote="thundastruck."][quote="Flyer"][quote="OilCanBoy"]I personally think that all private schools shouldn't be class B anyways.

I am not from a private school and I hate people who think this..Just because these teams are usually good doesn't mean that they should be in a different division. Other teams just need to put in more time to get better, just like they do..Class B basketball is the best sporting event in the tri-state area maybe even in the nation, so why would you want to change that in any way..Get over being Jealous and get better..[/quote]
private schools shouldnt be in class b.  minot, williston, bismarck, fargo, dickinson are not small class b towns.  the years where there was 4 privates in the state tourney, i dont watch that much of it if any at all.  its not a jealous thing to me, -teams are very succussful where im from and are able to beat them. -- private schools are ruining the class b tourney in my opinion.[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]
Please explain why the Private Schools don't deserve to be in class B. And use some facts to support your argument please.
freak722
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:47 am

freak722 wrote:

Posted: Sun Mar 4th, 2007 09:00 pm

[quote="grizz"][quote="thundastruck."][quote="propel23"][quote="thundastruck."][quote="Flyer"][quote="OilCanBoy"]I personally think that all private schools shouldn't be class B anyways.

I am not from a private school and I hate people who think this..Just because these teams are usually good doesn't mean that they should be in a different division. Other teams just need to put in more time to get better, just like they do..Class B basketball is the best sporting event in the tri-state area maybe even in the nation, so why would you want to change that in any way..Get over being Jealous and get better..[/quote]
private schools shouldnt be in class b.  minot, williston, bismarck, fargo, dickinson are not small class b towns.  the years where there was 4 privates in the state tourney, i dont watch that much of it if any at all.  its not a jealous thing to me, -teams are very succussful where im from and are able to beat them. -- private schools are ruining the class b tourney in my opinion.[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]
Please explain why the Private Schools don't deserve to be in class B. And use some facts to support your argument please.
[/quote]no please dont.....there is a topic about this in hot topics.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:48 am

for the last time, this topic is NOT about private schools in class b!  Can we please stop talking about this, it started as home court advantage in regionals if anyone can remember that far back
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thundastruck. » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 am

Getting regionals out of grafton and mayville is great for region 2,,  it's very refreshing to have the betty as a neutral site,,  excellent facuilty for the teams and the fans.   no more home court advantage, thats what the doctor ordered.
thundastruck.

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:45 am

i think the betty takes away from the class b atmosphere but i guess it's better to have it at a neutral site even though the years mayport went to state they were without a doubt the best team in regionals.  The best team goes to state from region 2 every year, maybe not the most talented team every year but the best TEAM makes it.  2002 thompson had the most talent in the region championship game but got beat by a better team, may-port cg.  when cavalier went it was held in mayville which is a lot closer for larimore fans, who they beat that year to go to then cavalier fans so i dont think this "home court advantage" is a big deal in region 2
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thundastruck. » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:06 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:i think the betty takes away from the class b atmosphere but i guess it's better to have it at a neutral site even though the years mayport went to state they were without a doubt the best team in regionals.  The best team goes to state from region 2 every year, maybe not the most talented team every year but the best TEAM makes it.  2002 thompson had the most talent in the region championship game but got beat by a better team, may-port cg.  when cavalier went it was held in mayville which is a lot closer for larimore fans, who they beat that year to go to then cavalier fans so i dont think this "home court advantage" is a big deal in region 2

how does the betty take away from the class b atmosphere? 
thundastruck.

Postby Duce » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:11 am

thundastruck. wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:i think the betty takes away from the class b atmosphere but i guess it's better to have it at a neutral site even though the years mayport went to state they were without a doubt the best team in regionals.  The best team goes to state from region 2 every year, maybe not the most talented team every year but the best TEAM makes it.  2002 thompson had the most talent in the region championship game but got beat by a better team, may-port cg.  when cavalier went it was held in mayville which is a lot closer for larimore fans, who they beat that year to go to then cavalier fans so i dont think this "home court advantage" is a big deal in region 2

no kidding?? come to the championship game thursday night there will be 3500 screaming fans...i love the betty. Its perfect size
*Lead not by words, but by example
Duce
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:29 am

Duce wrote:
thundastruck. wrote:

no kidding?? come to the championship game thursday night there will be 3500 screaming fans...i love the betty. Its perfect size
I just personally thought it did because I played in the championship game in grafton and grand forks the past 2 seasons and thought when it was in grafton it was a better atmosphere because it wasn't as spread out and seemed more fun at the time.  I dont have a problem with the facility at all except the prices for everything are outrageous but thats another topic entirely.  I have loved going to regionals in mayville or grafton because every time the place is completely packed. 
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:47 am

thank you
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thundastruck. » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:17 am

i tend to disagree, region 2 is big bball and what more to have at a new facility that isnt overly big.  bettys capacity is about 3500.   mayville finally improved their gym 5 years ago? dont remember.  it was about time they put money in that place, the tartan floor was wavy and you needed flashlights to read your program.  now its very nice, but i cant agree with you, betty 1, grafton 2, mayville 3.  mayville is too small for the region 2 tourny, no reason to turn fans away because its already full when the betty can hold them.  atmosphere wise, its a big time gym, playing on the floor that und plays on thats gotta have some props too, the place gets louder in my opinion too, nice shiny floor, great lights, sweet seats,   i think its a nice reward for teams and fans to come there.  and i dont like grand forks either.....
thundastruck.

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:35 am

thundastruck. wrote:i tend to disagree, region 2 is big bball and what more to have at a new facility that isnt overly big.  bettys capacity is about 3500.   mayville finally improved their gym 5 years ago? dont remember.  it was about time they put money in that place, the tartan floor was wavy and you needed flashlights to read your program.  now its very nice, but i cant agree with you, betty 1, grafton 2, mayville 3.  mayville is too small for the region 2 tourny, no reason to turn fans away because its already full when the betty can hold them.  atmosphere wise, its a big time gym, playing on the floor that und plays on thats gotta have some props too, the place gets louder in my opinion too, nice shiny floor, great lights, sweet seats,   i think its a nice reward for teams and fans to come there.  and i dont like grand forks either.....

i agree that mayville isn't near big enough for the size of crowd that it brings there.  i remember before my time on varsity when we'd go to watch the games we would leave at about 3 30 or 4 oclock for a game that was set to start at 6 30 just so we could get seats.  so the part about seating is correct but personally i just like playing when the fans are closer in to you it seems more fun that way when you step out of the locker room and see that not one seat is empty.  so as a player i prefer it in grafton or mayville since we don't need to worry about sitting somewhere but as a fan i'll say the betty is nice and should stay there
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bucketboy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:38 am

there is no doubt that there is a home court advantage, take your own teams record the last ten years, I would almost guarantee that your winning percentage at home is better than on the road. It is not fair to the kids playing the game. I believe when it gets down to crunch time the home team gets the breaks on most of the questionable calls.
bucketboy
NDPreps Rookie

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:26 am

bucketboy wrote:there is no doubt that there is a home court advantage, take your own teams record the last ten years, I would almost guarantee that your winning percentage at home is better than on the road. It is not fair to the kids playing the game. I believe when it gets down to crunch time the home team gets the breaks on most of the questionable calls.

no if we were going to do this we would look at how many times grafton and may port cg went to state when regionals were held in mayville for may port or grafton for grafton.  well grafton hasn't been there for who knows how long, and never since they've been class b.  may port went the last two years, when it was held at the betty and grafton,  the two years before that once was held in grafton and once was in mayville.  the game against thompson in 2002 was not a game where it came down to officiating and if you are good enough to go to state it shouldn't matter that you are playing in the hometown of one team.  the refs dont favor any teams at all, when people complain about the refs losing a game for them they usually dont remember any of the mistakes their team made that had nothing to do with the refs.  the two years before this one norht border played in the regional championship two years in a row, once in grafton and once in mayville.  may port lost a game in the semifinals that year to park river so i guess the home court advantage really helped them there.  the year before that (99) hillsboro and mayport played the championship game which was held in grafton.  i could keep going back but i think i'll stop here.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ben23 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:18 am

In region 1 there is an advantage for Hankinson on NDSCS's court.  Hankinson will be playing their 10th game there on thursday night.  They have played more games on that court this year then on their home courts.  They play 6 games on their old court i beleive and 1 on their new court.
Ben23
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:23 am

Ben23 wrote:In region 1 there is an advantage for Hankinson on NDSCS's court.  Hankinson will be playing their 10th game there on thursday night.  They have played more games on that court this year then on their home courts.  They play 6 games on their old court i beleive and 1 on their new court.

why do they play so many games there?
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rkmt » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:56 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Ben23 wrote:In region 1 there is an advantage for Hankinson on NDSCS's court.  Hankinson will be playing their 10th game there on thursday night.  They have played more games on that court this year then on their home courts.  They play 6 games on their old court i beleive and 1 on their new court.

why do they play so many games there?

They played 3 games in the ND-MN shootout in December, Then their season finale in the NDSCS Bonanza, 3 district games and now will be 3 regional games as of tomorrow night.  so not only 10 games, but their 7th consecutive game on that court.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby lutzey_14 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:36 pm

Home court advantage makes no difference, because if you are good enough you can play wherever whenever, end of story.
lutzey_14
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:49 pm

lutzey_14 wrote:Home court advantage makes no difference, because if you are good enough you can play wherever whenever, end of story.
Are you kidding me? It makes quite a bit of difference
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby lutzey_14 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:56 pm

If it would matter so much then wouldn't Beulah have won the District 14 Tournament, since they had homecourt advantage?
lutzey_14
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Alumni » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:49 pm

lutzey_14 wrote:If it would matter so much then wouldn't Beulah have won the District 14 Tournament, since they had homecourt advantage?

I totally agree. Home court advantage is such a joke. If a team has played on a court as many times as teams do at Trinity (Roughrider Tourney, Districts, Regionals, regular season, etc.) what is so hard for them to adjust to?
Alumni
NDPreps Rookie

Postby region1 football » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:56 pm

lutzey_14 wrote:Home court advantage makes no difference, because if you are good enough you can play wherever whenever, end of story.

You have never played in Kulm.....reasons given in the topic for worst gym.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:24 pm

region1 football wrote:

You have never played in Kulm.....reasons given in the topic for worst gym.
I don't think that they hold Regionals in Kulm.  I think his point was that if its held somewhere thats not completely neutral it shouldn't matter because if your team is good enough to go to state then they are good enough to win on the road.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tu-Big » Sat May 05, 2007 10:42 am

Alumni wrote:
lutzey_14 wrote:If it would matter so much then wouldn't Beulah have won the District 14 Tournament, since they had homecourt advantage?

I totally agree. Home court advantage is such a joke. If a team has played on a court as many times as teams do at Trinity (Roughrider Tourney, Districts, Regionals, regular season, etc.) what is so hard for them to adjust to?

Travel? It makes a difference sitting on a bus for up to an hour and half then getting out and playing, Trinity's kids walk across the street, Trinity's kids get done playing and get some sleep where other teams are on the road til' midnight. Locker Rooms? Trinity has the same locker room every game, not that its that big a deal, its just another thing to put them in their comfort zone. All in all it makes a huge difference, why do you think that Trinity always ends up losing the District Title game on the road, like this year in Beulah, and then goes back home in the Regionals and wins?
Tu-Big

PreviousNext

Return to Boys