Home Court Advantage in Regionals

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baseball » Sat May 05, 2007 10:45 am

fans are also a factor....when they have to travel, most might not go and then the home team has a large majority of the crowd
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Edward III » Mon May 07, 2007 9:55 am

Didn't  Trinity win at Beulah against Mott-Regent when Mott was the better team. Can't argue with the tourny record that Trinity has. They won two evening games in most of the state tournys that I remember. I do not think you can count the district games as that is just to qualify. Put pressure on things -then see who performs- no matter where it is, the cream will rise. Lets give credit where credit is due.
Last edited by Edward III on Mon May 07, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edward III
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Roughrider » Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 pm

okay, im only talking about region 7 here, i dont really know how it is in other regions but anyway. the region is always at trinity for good reason. it is the biggest gym in the area and brings in the most revenue for the region. and also yeah you can make a case about it being home court advantage for trinity because its their court but look. for some of the teams, they play the exact same amount of games at trinity as they do. some teams that play the roughrider, thats three games on that floor and then if the districts are there then they play three more on that floor as well. plus if they play them in the regular season at their place. plus, especially when trinity is playing, everybody in the entire gym is cheering for the other team thats playing except for the trinity fans who take up a very small section of the gym anyway. its really not that big of a home court advantage as most people think
GO SIOUX GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roughrider
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby feeshattack » Tue May 08, 2007 11:18 am

another things, if trinity was only winning at regionals, and not at state, then you could say something about home court advantage... but if you look at their success in the past 5 years, they are winning a minimum of 2 games almost every appearance, so they are most likely the best team out of the region or deserve to be their because of the hardwork and talent, not because of were the regionals are held

another thing, trinity beat every team in the regular season on the opposing teams home court that they played in regionals
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby shooter » Wed May 09, 2007 9:50 am

If regionals were held in a place like the Crystal, ND gym or the Neche gym, then that is a huge home court advantage since  you are standing out of bounds to shoot a 3 in the corners, the floor sweats, and you can't hear yourself think, but a bigger court makes it pretty equal for everyone to use their strengths and weaknesses and if you are concentrating on the game at hand, I don't think fans should really make that much difference.  I know back when I played, I never knew who was there or who was yelling what because I was focused on the game.
shooter
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby feeshattack » Wed May 09, 2007 10:39 am

and in Region 7's case, trinity doesnt have home court fan advatnage cuz 3/4 of the gym is cheering agaisnt them anyways
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu May 10, 2007 5:24 am

I think the advantage has to go the run/gun teams in bigger facilities.  The big court spreads out the defense.  Take a look at teams that have smaller courts you will usually find that these are teams that slow the pace down. 

Region 4 is held in DL.  I think it would be nice to hold it at FW.  We have the gym compacity to hold the tournament there, what about Districts.  FW gym is one of the, if not the biggest class B gym in the region. As far as Consessions, you could have the schools rotate each year to who runs it. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sports guy » Thu May 10, 2007 7:51 am

FW does have a nice Gym but i don't know if it would be big enough for a Region Championship game. Districts i would understand but i don't know about regions.
Sports guy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu May 10, 2007 8:07 am

I would settle for Districts.  Like I said, each school in the district can control the doors and concessions.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Tu-Big » Thu May 10, 2007 3:28 pm

The only problem i have with it is that NO other team in the state has a regional on their court. Even if it doesnt matter that much nobody should have any type of home court advantage. It should be the same for everybody in the state, everyone should play on a neutral floor, i know in Minnesota its always held at a neutral site and thats the way ND should be. Maybe its an advantage and maybe its not, but the fact is noone else has it, so why should region 7 be the only ones that have to deal with it?
Tu-Big

Postby ndfan » Thu May 10, 2007 4:31 pm

[user=3078]Tu-Big[/user] wrote:
The only problem i have with it is that NO other team in the state has a regional on their court. Even if it doesnt matter that much nobody should have any type of home court advantage. It should be the same for everybody in the state, everyone should play on a neutral floor, i know in Minnesota its always held at a neutral site and thats the way ND should be. Maybe its an advantage and maybe its not, but the fact is noone else has it, so why should region 7 be the only ones that have to deal with it?

Not totally true Grafton has had the region tournament @ there place, I also believe they will start having districts and regionals there again and not the Betty anymore.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Thu May 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Tu-Big wrote:The only problem i have with it is that NO other team in the state has a regional on their court. Even if it doesnt matter that much nobody should have any type of home court advantage. It should be the same for everybody in the state, everyone should play on a neutral floor, i know in Minnesota its always held at a neutral site and thats the way ND should be. Maybe its an advantage and maybe its not, but the fact is noone else has it, so why should region 7 be the only ones that have to deal with it?

It's there because coaches vote it to be there, and it generates the most revenue....it's not really homecourt advantage at all. If bowman would've made it through districts, they would've played more games at trinity than their own court, and most of the gym is against trinity anyway, so it doesn't matter.
project-pat

Postby scruffy » Fri May 18, 2007 8:17 am

Tu-Big, Trinity also lost several district championships at home.  If there is a game to drop it's that one.  Rather peak at the right time...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tu-Big » Sun May 20, 2007 7:16 pm

scruffy wrote:Tu-Big, Trinity also lost several district championships at home.  If there is a game to drop it's that one.  Rather peak at the right time...

Very good point...also it seems that alot of teams peak in the District tournament, while Trinity is playing their best ball in the regional. Alot of the time teams will win the district title and just be content with that and wont show up at regionals, im not saying all teams but every now and then it happens
Tu-Big

Postby Swine-O » Sun May 20, 2007 8:04 pm

feeshattack wrote:another things, if trinity was only winning at regionals, and not at state, then you could say something about home court advantage... but if you look at their success in the past 5 years, they are winning a minimum of 2 games almost every appearance, so they are most likely the best team out of the region or deserve to be their because of the hardwork and talent, not because of were the regionals are held

another thing, trinity beat every team in the regular season on the opposing teams home court that they played in regionals

Trinity has actually won at least 2 games in every state tourny they have ever been in. They have never lost 2 games in a state tournament. Kind of undermines the homecourt advantage argument when Trinity's worst state tournament record ever is 2-1. That's against the best competition in the state. sounds like peaking at the right time to me.
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Tu-Big » Mon May 21, 2007 5:33 am

Swine-O wrote:
feeshattack wrote:another things, if trinity was only winning at regionals, and not at state, then you could say something about home court advantage... but if you look at their success in the past 5 years, they are winning a minimum of 2 games almost every appearance, so they are most likely the best team out of the region or deserve to be their because of the hardwork and talent, not because of were the regionals are held

Trinity has actually won at least 2 games in every state tourny they have ever been in. They have never lost 2 games in a state tournament. Kind of undermines the homecourt advantage argument when Trinity's worst state tournament record ever is 2-1. That's against the best competition in the state. sounds like peaking at the right time to me.

Thats true, but i think if other teams from our region went to the state tournament, they would have the same type of success that trinity has had just because its the toughest region in the state. I think 2 years ago, bowman was the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state with trinity and mayville so every year there is gonna be a top notch team that doesnt make it just because of how difficult this region is, but because its such a tough region it should be held on a neutral floor otherwise people are always going to use that as an excuse.  
Tu-Big

Postby Swine-O » Mon May 21, 2007 6:19 pm

well if you want a neutral floor where are you going to hold it then? do you have any other gyms in this area in mind that can even bring in half of the revenue that trinity can? and if its such a big deal than why do all the coaches in the region continually vote to have it at trinity? Dsu and Dhs are too small, and at hazen and beulah they dont even take in half the revenue that they would at trinity.
Tradition Doesn't Graduate
Swine-O
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Tu-Big » Tue May 22, 2007 7:32 am

Swine-O wrote:well if you want a neutral floor where are you going to hold it then? do you have any other gyms in this area in mind that can even bring in half of the revenue that trinity can? and if its such a big deal than why do all the coaches in the region continually vote to have it at trinity? Dsu and Dhs are too small, and at hazen and beulah they dont even take in half the revenue that they would at trinity.
This would never work but its an idea, they could have it at the civic center in bismark. The WDA has it there every year and i think watching that is just as exciting as the class A tournament. Of course teams would complain about travel, but if they want it on a neutral floor thats the only place i could really think of, its too bad dickinson state's gym is smaller than most high school gyms in this state...
Tu-Big

Postby PA42 » Tue May 22, 2007 8:19 am

i cannot see why everyone has a cow when mayville state hosts the boys tourneys.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed May 23, 2007 5:51 am

The only reason people get mad over the so called "home-court advantage" in regionals is because if their team gets beat by the team hosting it it'll give you an exscuse for the loss instead of saying "hey, we just got beat".  Say what you want about May-Port CG having tournaments at Mayville State for many years but in all the years May-Port has won districts/regionals they have been the best team in the regionals and the "home-court advantage" had no effect on it.  When May Port CG is playing the entire crowd is cheering against them except for their own fans.  I imagine this is the same in Trinity and some of the other towns that get to host.  If you wanted to say well they have to ride a bus to the games and the hosting teams just have to drive a few blocks well that shouldn't be that big of a deal.  At the most you're spending an hour and a half in a vehicle and most schools leave plenty early for the games so they have time to loosen up and stretch before their game.  In all the years it's been hosted in Grafton/Park River those teams haven't had much of an advantage playing at or close to home.  All it comes down to is that the teams winning it just have more talent then those not and the fact they get to host the games is just the way it is.  When May Port went on their title run in 03 the regionals were held in grafton which would be looked at as an advantage for Cavalier whom May Port was playing since it's closer for them but it didn't matter, May Port just had a better team then Cavalier which is why they won.  Now Region 2 is at neutral sites for Regionals so there should be no more complaining by anyone but that's pretty wishfull thinking.  I'm sure someone will have a problem with it somewhere.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Wed May 23, 2007 9:33 am

[user=1019]north_border_eagles2106[/user] wrote:
The only reason people get mad over the so called "home-court advantage" in regionals is because if their team gets beat by the team hosting it it'll give you an exscuse for the loss instead of saying "hey, we just got beat".  Say what you want about May-Port CG having tournaments at Mayville State for many years but in all the years May-Port has won districts/regionals they have been the best team in the regionals and the "home-court advantage" had no effect on it.  When May Port CG is playing the entire crowd is cheering against them except for their own fans.  I imagine this is the same in Trinity and some of the other towns that get to host.  If you wanted to say well they have to ride a bus to the games and the hosting teams just have to drive a few blocks well that shouldn't be that big of a deal.  At the most you're spending an hour and a half in a vehicle and most schools leave plenty early for the games so they have time to loosen up and stretch before their game.  In all the years it's been hosted in Grafton/Park River those teams haven't had much of an advantage playing at or close to home.  All it comes down to is that the teams winning it just have more talent then those not and the fact they get to host the games is just the way it is.  When May Port went on their title run in 03 the regionals were held in grafton which would be looked at as an advantage for Cavalier whom May Port was playing since it's closer for them but it didn't matter, May Port just had a better team then Cavalier which is why they won.  Now Region 2 is at neutral sites for Regionals so there should be no more complaining by anyone but that's pretty wishfull thinking.  I'm sure someone will have a problem with it somewhere.

I'm pretty sure i heard Grafton will be hosting regionals again next year, I'm sure i've seen home court help in regionals in the past. Wasn't it a couple years ago Larimore got beat by Grafton in the first round of the Regional tournament Larimore being the one seed and Grafton the four seed. I've heard some people down south of that district aren't happy the way Grafton got regionals either.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Spoiler 12 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:21 am

yes grafton beat larimore on a buzzer beater. But if i'm not mistaken there was an upset in larimores district and may-port should have been the number one seed.  I'm not positive on this, correct me if i'm wrong. 
Last edited by Spoiler 12 on Thu May 24, 2007 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler 12

Postby LarryBirdFan » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:26 pm

I think that Home Court Advantage is a big thing. If you are from a small town and shoot in that little gym all the time and have never played in a dome before. Then when you go and play a team durring regoinals that has played in a dome a few games durring the season and districts. That team that has played in the dome has a big shooting advantage becuase there is no background behind the rim compared to shooting in a small high school gym.
LarryBirdFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rep » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:28 pm

but every year teams know where districts/regionals are going to be held. if they don't try to get a game or two on that court at some point during the season, that is pretty much their own fault.

there are all sorts of holiday tournaments/jamborees that plenty of teams use as an excuse to get familiar with the court they will be playing their postseason on.
rep

Postby baller01 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:29 pm

LarryBirdFan wrote:I think that Home Court Advantage is a big thing. If you are from a small town and shoot in that little gym all the time and have never played in a dome before. Then when you go and play a team durring regoinals that has played in a dome a few games durring the season and districts. That team that has played in the dome has a big shooting advantage becuase there is no background behind the rim compared to shooting in a small high school gym.

You ever saw the movie Hoosiers? What's the first thing their coach does when they walk into that big dome. Everything is the same. No matter if you play in a barn dome or the Bismarck Civic Center. It's all mental. You just have to overcome it.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys