Home Court Advantage in Regionals

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baseball » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:49 pm

baller01 wrote:
LarryBirdFan wrote:I think that Home Court Advantage is a big thing. If you are from a small town and shoot in that little gym all the time and have never played in a dome before. Then when you go and play a team durring regoinals that has played in a dome a few games durring the season and districts. That team that has played in the dome has a big shooting advantage becuase there is no background behind the rim compared to shooting in a small high school gym.

You ever saw the movie Hoosiers? What's the first thing their coach does when they walk into that big dome. Everything is the same. No matter if you play in a barn dome or the Bismarck Civic Center. It's all mental. You just have to overcome it.

the only thing thats the same in all the courts is taht the hoop is 10 feet.  take Kulm and the Jamestown CC for example.....Kulm plays on a court that is maybe 55 feet long and out of bounds 15 feet away from the hoop on the baseline.  take a team like that and they can play with anyone on their home court.  it wouldnt be so much of a blow out if they played Parshall last year in Kulm but if they took it to a normal sized court like the CCs where Parshall could spread the floor i wouldnt give them a chance
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:26 pm

baseball wrote:
baller01 wrote:
LarryBirdFan wrote:I think that Home Court Advantage is a big thing. If you are from a small town and shoot in that little gym all the time and have never played in a dome before. Then when you go and play a team durring regoinals that has played in a dome a few games durring the season and districts. That team that has played in the dome has a big shooting advantage becuase there is no background behind the rim compared to shooting in a small high school gym.

You ever saw the movie Hoosiers? What's the first thing their coach does when they walk into that big dome. Everything is the same. No matter if you play in a barn dome or the Bismarck Civic Center. It's all mental. You just have to overcome it.

the only thing thats the same in all the courts is taht the hoop is 10 feet.  take Kulm and the Jamestown CC for example.....Kulm plays on a court that is maybe 55 feet long and out of bounds 15 feet away from the hoop on the baseline.  take a team like that and they can play with anyone on their home court.  it wouldnt be so much of a blow out if they played Parshall last year in Kulm but if they took it to a normal sized court like the CCs where Parshall could spread the floor i wouldnt give them a chance

This is true. I rest my case.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Diggity Dawg » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:51 am

rep wrote:but every year teams know where districts/regionals are going to be held. if they don't try to get a game or two on that court at some point during the season, that is pretty much their own fault.

there are all sorts of holiday tournaments/jamborees that plenty of teams use as an excuse to get familiar with the court they will be playing their postseason on.

i agree
Diggity Dawg
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heartstopper » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:33 am

New Rockford when they were good for those 3 years always had trouble with the schools with the smaller courts. Those games would be close, but come district time, they would just destroy the teams because they were on a larger court.  Home Court Advantage for DT is true.
heartstopper

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:29 am

heartstopper wrote:New Rockford when they were good for those 3 years always had trouble with the schools with the smaller courts. Those games would be close, but come district time, they would just destroy the teams because they were on a larger court.  Home Court Advantage for DT is true.

thats what i saying about Kulm.  take a bad team and put them on a small court and they can play with anyone but once you put the same 2 teams on a normal sized court you see who the best really is.  the only thing this doesnt have to do with the topic is that Districts and Regionals will never be played on a small courts
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby LarryBirdFan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:38 pm

I agree with both of you. Baseball and Heartstoper. That is what I was trying to say but must not have been clear enough.
LarryBirdFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:45 pm

LarryBirdFan wrote:I agree with both of you. Baseball and Heartstoper. That is what I was trying to say but must not have been clear enough.

but your saying the difference in a small gym and a dome.  almost every team in teh state is going to have a wall or something behind the hoop....the only time they wont is if its a stage.  the thing i was talking about is the spacing a team will have.  i stick with the Kulm-Jamestown CC theory.  in Kulm there is no possible way for a corner 3 pointer, whereas the JCC there is maybe a good 5 feet between the corner 3 point line and OB.  thats an extra 10 feet of room for a team to work with.  not to mention an extra 10 feet from baseline to half line
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby heartstopper » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:04 pm

Well lets see how well DT did on the smaller courts in there region. Does Killdeer have a smaller gym. Lets say if DT played at Killdeer in the Region Championship last year who would of won between those two in that court?
heartstopper

Postby Edward III » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:32 am

Isn't the truest test at the state tourney? Trinity seems to do well on at the state level. They are uaually in the evening bracket. Sounds like they are playing  where they should be--in the state as one of the best in the state. Put the fans in the bleachers and throw out the ball and play. 
Edward III
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Boys