Coach of the Year picks

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby BB11 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:57 am

Who deserves COY from each region and who gets the grand prize?
My picks
Region 1 - Mike Gaukler - Hankinson
Region 2 - Shane Robinson - Midway-Minto
Region 3 - Dan Carr - Linton
Region 4 - Rick Smith - Four Winds
Region 5 - Michael Sorlie - Dakota Oyate
Region 6 - Ken Keysor - Kenmare
Region 7 - Rich Dufault - Killdeer
Region 8 - Randy Cranston - Watford City

State Coach of the Year - Rick Smith - Four Winds
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:17 pm

BB11 wrote:Who deserves COY from each region and who gets the grand prize?
My picks

How can Smith be region and state COY when he wasn't even good enough to win D7 COY?
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby sodadrinker » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:26 pm

nativegolfer wrote:
My picks

How can Smith be region and state COY when he wasn't even good enough to win D7 COY?

it wasnt that he wasnt good enough it was just that he didnt get it.  if he finished 2nd in the voting for district i think he can still get it for region and so on
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBballa » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:30 pm

sodadrinker wrote:
nativegolfer wrote:
My picks

it wasnt that he wasnt good enough it was just that he didnt get it.  if he finished 2nd in the voting for district i think he can still get it for region and so on

thats correct, if he was second in the district vote he is in the running for region. I think if they win the region tourney he will probably get it.
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:33 pm

i'm an absolutely huge fan of dan carr...it doesn't get much better than him coaching-wise. but prior to there being any games played at the region 3 tourney, i'm wondering if the napoleon coach getting named that region's coy...i can't for the life of me remember his name, but he has helped turn them into a fairly competitive unit from the game results i've seen.

could be wrong, i haven't seen the team play this year, and maybe that is a credit to guys like weigel and leier stepping up, i don't know. just throwing it out there to see what everyone else thinks.

i can't really offer much with the other picks, but for the ones i can:

1 - i'd agree with gaukler

2 - not a clue

4 - smith, carlson...can't go wrong with either

5 - no clue

6 - notta sniff

7 - grinny

8 - is that the same randy cranston that played high school for hatton?

coy - it is voted on before state i think, but as the people voting seem to know more about this than i do, i'll side with whichever team wins the region 4 vs. region 7 game.
rep

Postby baller01 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:56 pm

rep wrote:i'm an absolutely huge fan of dan carr...it doesn't get much better than him coaching-wise. but prior to there being any games played at the region 3 tourney, i'm wondering if the napoleon coach getting named that region's coy...i can't for the life of me remember his name, but he has helped turn them into a fairly competitive unit from the game results i've seen.

could be wrong, i haven't seen the team play this year, and maybe that is a credit to guys like weigel and leier stepping up, i don't know. just throwing it out there to see what everyone else thinks.

2 - not a clue

5 - no clue

6 - notta sniff

7 - grinny

coy - it is voted on before state i think, but as the people voting seem to know more about this than i do, i'll side with whichever team wins the region 4 vs. region 7 game.

Horner
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Baller » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:06 pm

rep wrote:i'm an absolutely huge fan of dan carr...it doesn't get much better than him coaching-wise. but prior to there being any games played at the region 3 tourney, i'm wondering if the napoleon coach getting named that region's coy...i can't for the life of me remember his name, but he has helped turn them into a fairly competitive unit from the game results i've seen.

2 - not a clue

5 - no clue

6 - notta sniff

7 - grinny

that is the same Randy Cranston.  After Hatton he went to Mary and played on their JV.  I have a hard time picturing his as head coach, but good for him that he is doing well.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sodadrinker » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:46 pm

2 - not a clue

5 - no clue

6 - notta sniff

7 - grinny

no love for chad faul tho if wells county comes out on top
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby feeshattack » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:50 pm

sodadrinker wrote:

2 - not a clue

5 - no clue

6 - notta sniff

7 - grinny

yea, he will get the shaft if wells county comes out on top, but i dont think wells will come out on top....
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sodadrinker » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:58 pm

feeshattack wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:

2 - not a clue

5 - no clue

6 - notta sniff

7 - grinny

yea, he will get the shaft if wells county comes out on top, but i dont think wells will come out on top....

never know
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:58 pm

if wells comes out on top i'll definately change my tune...the regular season is kind of meaningless compared to what happens in the tournament...and my guess is that if wells goes to state they will have to beat both ml and fw and that should definately count for something, especially after having those teams give wc their only losses so far.

wish them the best...they got a tough road.
rep

Postby sodadrinker » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:00 pm

rep wrote:if wells comes out on top i'll definately change my tune...the regular season is kind of meaningless compared to what happens in the tournament...and my guess is that if wells goes to state they will have to beat both ml and fw and that should definately count for something, especially after having those teams give wc their only losses so far.

wish them the best...they got a tough road.

definately wont be easy
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby marchmadness10 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:17 pm

i'd say from region 7 coach randy johnson from hazen i know him personally. He is a very good coach and a good person.
marchmadness10
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Claz B Fan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:31 pm

From region two I would say either Mark Hegg of Thompson or Shane Robinson of Midway Minto
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby SJ_Woodchuck » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:55 pm

2 - not a clue

5 - no clue

6 - notta sniff

7 - grinny

Maybe just because im from St. John but it could be a good choice. Paul Frydenlund for St. John for Region 4 taking the 7th seed in the distict to the championship, maybe if we get 3rd or 4th he may have a shot. But what do I know
SJ_Woodchuck
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fightingsioux20 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:17 pm

Your saying it cuz your from there
fightingsioux20
NDPreps Starter

Postby westpower » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Baller wrote:

2 - not a clue

5 - no clue

6 - notta sniff

7 - grinny

that is the same Randy Cranston.  After Hatton he went to Mary and played on their JV.  I have a hard time picturing his as head coach, but good for him that he is doing well.

Y what s wrong with him? he is a good coach and doing  a hek of  a job!
westpower
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:17 pm

It doesn't matter what any of you think because its just the coaches from the respective regions that vote on the COY anyway....
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 pm

Why would Rick smith get region COY if he didnt get district?
project-pat

Postby fruit snack » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:42 pm

project-pat wrote:Why would Rick smith get region COY if he didnt get district?

hes a decent coach and could deserve it unless hes just gonna quit on his team after this year
fruit snack

Postby rep » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:42 pm

project-pat wrote:Why would Rick smith get region COY if he didnt get district?

dunno...question was who deserves it not who would actually get it. that is what i was going by. and for that i usually go along the lines of the coach from the region champ probably deserves it unless there is a real cinderella story that gets beat out by a stacked team.
rep

Postby tripleb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:31 am

You also have to remember that you have to be a member of the North Dakota High School Coaches Association to win a District COY award and not all coaches are.  Sometimes some very deserving coaches simply aren't members and it starts some controversy.
tripleb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

My picks

region 2 i'd say the fordville lankin coach.  i know his team didn't make regionals but i dont know of a bigger turnaround form playing a jv schedule last year to placing 5th in your district this year behind 4 teams that could easily make state or deep into regionals. 
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:18 pm

i could not agree with you more. Galiord Pellier i believe.
PA42

Postby thesports_guy32 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:04 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
My picks

region 2 i'd say the fordville lankin coach.  i know his team didn't make regionals but i dont know of a bigger turnaround form playing a jv schedule last year to placing 5th in your district this year behind 4 teams that could easily make state or deep into regionals. 

i don't think he should be COY in the region... yeah he did a heck of a job starting to turn that program around but what was their record... 3-14? sorry but i give the nod to Park River's coach, especially after that win against Thompson.
Last edited by thesports_guy32 on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
thesports_guy32

Next

Return to Boys