Third place game at regionals

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby Wildcat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 am

When I was a senior, we made it to the region championship so we didn't have to worry about it. However, we had all agreed that the third place game was stupid and we didn't want to play in it.

People say it provides good experience, but you always see seniors pretty much acting like they don't care during the game and it only helps for the younger kids. I hate the notion of a third place game because you're not playing for anything anymore.

What's the general consensus on this?
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:59 am

Wildcat wrote:When I was a senior, we made it to the region championship so we didn't have to worry about it. However, we had all agreed that the third place game was stupid and we didn't want to play in it.

People say it provides good experience, but you always see seniors pretty much acting like they don't care during the game and it only helps for the younger kids. I hate the notion of a third place game because you're not playing for anything anymore.

You brought to Valid points up, it does give the younger kids experience and it also is a waste of time for seniors.  I think it is to fill that space between after school and the Championship game.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Claz B Fan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:02 pm

Agreed and another way for the state to make more money off ticket sales
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby magic715 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:19 pm

Well u find out who has pride and who doesnt. Who the real competitors are and who only wants to win. We all want to win, but the 3rd place game is for pride in themselves, who cares and who doesnt, usually one team does. Sometimes both.
magic715

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:26 pm

Wildcat wrote:When I was a senior, we made it to the region championship so we didn't have to worry about it. However, we had all agreed that the third place game was stupid and we didn't want to play in it.

Your playing for third place and the opportunity to put on the uniform one last time as a senior. Something that 12 other teams would love to have the opportunity to have. If you wouldnt want to play then dont dress. You get to spend the next 40+ years of your life sitting in the stands watching instead of playing so might as well start early. Let someone else play that wants to. Just my two cents.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:40 pm

I personally find the 3rd place game pointless. Maybe if I was a senior I would think differently but I played in one last year and to me it was just pointless. Most teams goal is to make it to state and since you are playing in the 3rd place game you already haven't succeed in making your goal, and usually that late in the season most kids want the season to be over with (not saying I am one of them because I'm certainly not). To me it just has no meaning and purpose. Like I said, maybe if I was a senior it would be different but, I'm not so I can't say. 
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballer2 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:45 pm

baller01 wrote:I personally find the 3rd place game pointless. Maybe if I was a senior I would think differently but I played in one last year and to me it was just pointless. Most teams goal is to make it to state and since you are playing in the 3rd place game you already haven't succeed in making your goal, and usually that late in the season most kids want the season to be over with (not saying I am one of them because I'm certainly not). To me it just has no meaning and purpose. Like I said, maybe if I was a senior it would be different but, I'm not so I can't say. 

personally, i cnat say i enjoyed the 3rd place game last year... but since it is my senior year and all... i would like to know when my last game is going to be... i dont think you know taht until your a senior... i know it isnt the same but to know its gonna be ur last game i think you take it all in... just what i think...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:50 pm

bballer2 wrote:
baller01 wrote:I personally find the 3rd place game pointless. Maybe if I was a senior I would think differently but I played in one last year and to me it was just pointless. Most teams goal is to make it to state and since you are playing in the 3rd place game you already haven't succeed in making your goal, and usually that late in the season most kids want the season to be over with (not saying I am one of them because I'm certainly not). To me it just has no meaning and purpose. Like I said, maybe if I was a senior it would be different but, I'm not so I can't say. 

personally, i cnat say i enjoyed the 3rd place game last year... but since it is my senior year and all... i would like to know when my last game is going to be... i dont think you know taht until your a senior... i know it isnt the same but to know its gonna be ur last game i think you take it all in... just what i think...

I agree. I mean I would rather know when my last game is going to be even if it is only a 3rd place game.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:53 pm

bballer2 wrote:

Great point. When my team lost out senior year on a missed last second shot the realization that your career is over and you are not going to put on the uniform again hits you like a brick wall. The feeling from junior year in the same situation last second was more of, oh well i have next year. But Senior year, thats it. All you can do is sit in the stands and yell at the refs from that moment on. The ones that really could care less if they played or not it probably doesnt bother them but for the ones that leave it out there every game...it is tough.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:57 pm

i did play in the game as a senior and i will say its not pointless if your a senior.  no one wants to end their career with a loss so if your a senior you go out and give it your all, as do your teammates cuz they dont wanna lose even if it doesnt mean anything, but the main thing is for a senior to go out with a win.....jsut my 2 cents

the same thing can be said for state then?  if you dont make the championship why play, why even have a consolation bracket?  some people say its pointless then they dont love basketball the way i do.  i would give anything to be able to play another year.  some kids it doesnt bother as much, if your gonna go on and play college ball your career isnt over.  but for the kids who loved the game but werent able to play college, its harder.
Last edited by baseball on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby InTheKnow » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:19 pm

baseball wrote:

i did play in the game as a senior and i will say its not pointless if your a senior.  no one wants to end their career with a loss so if your a senior you go out and give it your all, as do your teammates cuz they dont wanna lose even if it doesnt mean anything, but the main thing is for a senior to go out with a win.....jsut my 2 cents

the same thing can be said for state then?  if you dont make the championship why play, why even have a consolation bracket?  some people say its pointless then they dont love basketball the way i do.  i would give anything to be able to play another year.  some kids it doesnt bother as much, if your gonna go on and play college ball your career isnt over.  but for the kids who loved the game but werent able to play college, its harder.

Well said.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby rkmt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:20 am

InTheKnow wrote:
baseball wrote:i did play in the game as a senior and i will say its not pointless if your a senior.  no one wants to end their career with a loss so if your a senior you go out and give it your all, as do your teammates cuz they dont wanna lose even if it doesnt mean anything, but the main thing is for a senior to go out with a win.....jsut my 2 cents

Well said.

I agree.  I normally could care less about the game, but when you have a connection to it, it's a little different.  When my kid lost in the region semi's as a senior, nothing makes up for how rotten that feels, but the devastation on her face was not the last thing I wanted to see of her high school basketball days.  She got to come back and go out with a win and some pride because of playing a solid 3rd place game.   There's admittedly about zero electricity in the game, but maybe that fact is what tells the most about a player or the way a team pulls together - you can see who cares about the game of basketball enough to pick themselves up after their most devastating loss and play without any hype - just for pride.  
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:25 am

i've always really enjoyed watching the third place games. speaking very generally, the first halfs are pretty miserable intensity-wise, but normally there is a point late in the second quarter or early in the third where it seems like everyone's competitive switch gets clicked on and it seems like most of the third and all of the fourth quarters tend to be good basketball.

and that (two teams with 'nothing' to play for laying it on the line the last 10-16 minutes) is what tends to get my primed for the region championship (in which both teams have a bit more to play for).
rep

Postby SJ_Woodchuck » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:26 am

well here is my opinion, I think the top 2 teams from each region should goto state, so it would be a 16 team tournement, and the 3rd place winner in the region could have a challeange game for the 2nd place team if they haven't played them in regions, and the winner goes to state.
SJ_Woodchuck
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wildcat » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:55 am

I was passionate about every sport I played in. We were successful in every sport. We went to the state semifinals in football and we played in the Legion baseball state tournament.

I guess my point is that, compared to that, we didn't want to play in the third place game because we weren't playing for the next level. The state tournament is different because people remember teams that go to state, regardless of winning a state title, at least home town fans do.

Regions runners-up aren't really remembered and neither are region semifinalists. Basketball was a big deal to us, but I can tell you that the kids who played and contributed to our team don't look back and have regrets, wishing to play another year. We weren't the best team and that's that.

That being said, our team was largely seniors and we would have hated the third place game. Falling short would have been a huge hangover to have to play a game the next day.

But we might have been different. Winning in the big picture was everything to us, whereas, I guess those who are happy just to get that far might be thrilled to play in the third place game. For us, we wouldn't have cared if we got third or fourth. What's the difference? To end the season on a win? I guess I don't see how that matters. Is that self-gratifying for the seniors or something? Are they even going to remember it? I know I wouldn't
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:22 am

Wildcat wrote:I was passionate about every sport I played in. We were successful in every sport. We went to the state semifinals in football and we played in the Legion baseball state tournament.

I guess my point is that, compared to that, we didn't want to play in the third place game because we weren't playing for the next level. The state tournament is different because people remember teams that go to state, regardless of winning a state title, at least home town fans do.

Regions runners-up aren't really remembered and neither are region semifinalists. Basketball was a big deal to us, but I can tell you that the kids who played and contributed to our team don't look back and have regrets, wishing to play another year. We weren't the best team and that's that.

That being said, our team was largely seniors and we would have hated the third place game. Falling short would have been a huge hangover to have to play a game the next day.

But we might have been different. Winning in the big picture was everything to us, whereas, I guess those who are happy just to get that far might be thrilled to play in the third place game. For us, we wouldn't have cared if we got third or fourth. What's the difference? To end the season on a win? I guess I don't see how that matters. Is that self-gratifying for the seniors or something? Are they even going to remember it? I know I wouldn't

I don't think anyone said they were thrilled to play in it and happy just to get that far.  Generally the people who say that it was worth playing in are just saying it was about having some dignity in the face of a loss and coming back for a chance to play another game.  My daughter who didn't get to state in basketball had been state champion and runner-up in 2 other sports, so her standard was pretty high, so no, she wasn't satisfied.  In fact, she initially hated the idea of having to play for 3rd, but after the dust settled, she was ok with the opportunity to play another game because she loves basketball and could end with a win.  Don't assume that people that don't get to state are just happy with less.  Most teams who get even to the 3rd place game have been pretty successful and are winning programs, so probably had quite high goals. 

Bottom line, everyone worth anything in high school sports wants to win and get as far as they can.  But more kids don't get to a state tournament in Class B than do, so that leaves a lot of kids out there who fall short of the ultimate goal who have to learn to deal with it.  In the end, it's about what you do in your quest to get there that makes you who you are.  And I think it's ok to learn to have pride in whatever you accomplish, not just if it's something you think someone else will remember.  And if that's a 3rd place game and a chance to end with a win, so be it. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby letsgosox » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:24 pm

baseball wrote:

I agree with you 100%. When i was a senior i also played in this game. After we lost in the semi's it was very rough, but it was a really good feeling knowing that you got to put on the jersey one more time before it was over. I personally hope that they never get rid of this game because of players like me that just loved getting out there and playing the game, regardless of the circumstances.
letsgosox

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Wildcat wrote:I was passionate about every sport I played in. We were successful in every sport. We went to the state semifinals in football and we played in the Legion baseball state tournament.

if you love the game why would you wanna go out a loser???
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mauer07 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 pm

It shows how much pride your team is whether its for the championship or the 7/8th place game you should still give it all. Also it is usually the last game for a lot of seniors so you want to go out on a win even though if it is not state
You can't measure the heart of a champion
Mauer07
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:09 pm

baseball wrote:

Why would I wanna play in a useless game with no meaning? I'm not going to remember it.

As far as going out a winner, does it matter? I'm not going to remember it anyways.

I did not say I would TANK THE GAME. I said I wouldn't want to play in it.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby letsgosox » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Wildcat wrote:
baseball wrote:

Why would I wanna play in a useless game with no meaning? I'm not going to remember it.

As far as going out a winner, does it matter? I'm not going to remember it anyways.

believe me, if you're a senior, and its your last game, you will remember it.
letsgosox

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:48 pm

Wildcat wrote:
baseball wrote:

which would you rather have, a 3rd place game with a win to end it or a 2nd place and go out a loser...........ill take 3rd and a W everytime
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:04 pm

id want to take the second place to know i went out losing the championship game but if you take third you prolly lost to the team that won the championship i guess for myself i wont be happy unless i win the state championship my senior year

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsperson » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:07 pm

Isn't the reason you put on the jersey in the first place because you love playing the game of basketball? Why should that change for a 3rd place game? Personally, I just love to play and any chance I get to suit up and play some ball I'm gonna take.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:07 pm

cdub1 wrote:id want to take the second place to know i went out losing the championship game but if you take third you prolly lost to the team that won the championship i guess for myself i wont be happy unless i win the state championship my senior year

I won state and took 3rd in regionals and i look back and call that the greatest year of my athletic career.  part of the 3rd place at regions is that we over achieved by winning the districted when we were picked 4th in the hoopster and 7th in the region. so a district champ. and a 3rd is better
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys