Third place game at regionals

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby xcolt90 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:07 pm

I like the idea on here of taking the top two to state and then the 3rd place team would have a shot at a challenge game.  That would totally change the dynamic of the 3rd place game.  Go out play hard, win the game and then hope the team that wins the championship is the team that beat you.

The first round at state though would have to be loser out and the region pairings would be on opposite sides of the brackets.  That would make for some great tournaments. 
xcolt90

Postby sodadrinker » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:14 pm

xcolt90 wrote:I like the idea on here of taking the top two to state and then the 3rd place team would have a shot at a challenge game.  That would totally change the dynamic of the 3rd place game.  Go out play hard, win the game and then hope the team that wins the championship is the team that beat you.

The first round at state though would have to be loser out and the region pairings would be on opposite sides of the brackets.  That would make for some great tournaments. 

the way u put this tho the the team that wins the 3rd place game and the runner up would have to play an extra game to make it fair would they not
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby letsgosox » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:45 pm

xcolt90 wrote:I like the idea on here of taking the top two to state and then the 3rd place team would have a shot at a challenge game.  That would totally change the dynamic of the 3rd place game.  Go out play hard, win the game and then hope the team that wins the championship is the team that beat you.

The first round at state though would have to be loser out and the region pairings would be on opposite sides of the brackets.  That would make for some great tournaments
ya maybe this would have potential of making the third place game more exciting, but this would not make any sense to do. i don't believe that there is anything wrong with the way the region and state tournament is set up. why fix something if it isnt broken?
letsgosox

Postby baseball » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:25 pm

i say keep it the way it is.  having a double emlination winners bracket to the regional tourney is just taking the magic away from the tournaments.  it basically means no underdog can get in cuz if a team losses they can still come back.  keep it if you lose your done.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoop_fan1 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:38 am

I think with districts being set up as double elim, followed by a "1 and done" regional is the right way to do it.  I still think it's good to play the game, it gives people more of a reason to come- the 3rd place game is like the opening act to the feature. 
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:49 am

cdub1 wrote:id want to take the second place to know i went out losing the championship game but if you take third you prolly lost to the team that won the championship i guess for myself i wont be happy unless i win the state championship my senior year

Thank you Cdub! My point exactly. Everyone on here would rather play in the third place game than lose the championship I guess.

By the way, I guess if basketball was the only thing you played in high school, it might be significant to end your season with a win. However, I would only remember losing the semifinal game and how far we got, not "ending our season on a win." That's cliche and it certainly wasn't how we were. I guess of the friends I have who did play in that game, noone remembers it because it didn't mean anything.

I guess I don't get that. If its the last basketball you play in your entire life, YMCA or otherwise, then maybe it is important to go out on a win. I guess I didn't play in the game, so I can't say for sure.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys