Velva? Not moving on!

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby beavof77 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:17 pm

I've been around the Minot area for quite some time and got the oppertunity to watch Velva basketball these last few years and their athletes amazed me. This may be pushing it but I would have to say they had the most athletic ability on one team I've ever seen. When they put out their big line up it looked like a small college team. What happened to the Aggies? Not making out of district 11 this year?
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby beavof77 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Can someone who might know please inform me on this?
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Ticket » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:08 pm

They definantly are an athletic group of kids but the one thing it seemed they were missing this year was a consistant shooter. When we played them no one was really a threat from outside for them.
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjay » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:13 pm

Very athletic team.....I think they lacked a consistent shooter on offense.....they jumped out to a 36-21 1st quarter lead against Dunseith and ended up losing the game b/c they couldn't keep up the hot shooting.  Then, the next game against Botno, they got knocked on their heels and played catch up from there on out.  They had a legit shot at winning that region....just like anybody else does out of that region.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby beavof77 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:46 pm

Did they seem to care? I know Velva is a football power house and don't have trouble winning, do they let the success just go to their heads? I'm just really puzzled. That was my sleeper team, now its just "what ifs"
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Aaron50_07 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 am

Yes of course they care. Just because you are successful in one sport doesnt mean you just lose interest in another.  The team is very dissapointed in not moving on and its just one of those things they just have to get through.
Aaron50_07
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BB11 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:30 am

I was shocked and disappointed that Velva didn't make it through as well. They just couldn't stop Bottineau on Monday, and couldn't catch up. They are a very athletic team, and had all the tools - just had a bad game at the wrong time and Bottineau played a great game at the right time.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby allsport » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:30 pm

If you had seen enough games you would have seen the inconsistancies under the bucket also. But I've heard there is more to it than shooting percentages.
allsport
NDPreps Reserve

Postby beavof77 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:17 pm

What do you mean by more than shooting problems?
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TNT » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:43 pm

Velva having talented kids and not doing anything with it(how many years in a row is that now)? That team was 10 deep with 4 big guys with talent and they can not win? Its not about talent or kids trying its about coaching sorry i have to put it like that.
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby allsport » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:53 pm

TNT wrote:Velva having talented kids and not doing anything with it(how many years in a row is that now)? That team was 10 deep with 4 big guys with talent and they can not win? Its not about talent or kids trying its about coaching sorry i have to put it like that.

Couldn't agree with you more!
allsport
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Best two reasons you can give for not moving on: 1. They Didn't Win

2. They lost

Easiest way to put it. haha;)
thunderbaseball_38

Postby 20 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

I dont think it was a coaching problem, the coaches seemed to do all they could. If you watched the botno game there was a lot of arguing out on the court that botno took advantage of.
Last edited by 20 on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ClassBballa » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:26 pm

20 wrote:I dont think it was a coaching problem, the coaches seemed to do all they could. If you watched the botno game there was a lot of arguing out on the court that botno took advantage of.

a good coach can help stop the arguing
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby TNT » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:34 pm

kids start agruing when they get sick of seeing the same things happen and nothing ever gets changed. kids have voiced their option and nothing gets changed and everyone in the stands can see the same things get old and kids and fans get tired of wasting so much talent every year. Velva has had top 3 talent ever year in that region for 5-6 years and have won what one regional game?
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby 20 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Your right, and the coach did stop the arguing which seemed to have started in the middle of the season.  But in the botno game when Velva got down it was like the begining of the season and the kids started getting mad at one another again.

Postby 20 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:42 pm

TNT wrote:kids start agruing when they get sick of seeing the same things happen and nothing ever gets changed. kids have voiced their option and nothing gets changed and everyone in the stands can see the same things get old and kids and fans get tired of wasting so much talent every year. Velva has had top 3 talent ever year in that region for 5-6 years and have won what one regional game?

But you still cant blaim it all on the coaches. The kids need to be able to get along out on the court whether or not things are going their way.

Postby lefty » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:44 pm

20 wrote:Your right, and the coach did stop the arguing which seemed to have started in the middle of the season.  But in the botno game when Velva got down it was like the begining of the season and the kids started getting mad at one another again.

evidently you've never been in a velva practice
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby beavof77 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:31 pm

Well, that's kind of a suprise (the fighting) I guess I watched them about 4 times this season and they seemed to get along I thought. I agree that it's a shoker that the Aggies with four guys 6 foot or bigger and that had the ability to run the court and shot the long ball as well. It's very sad that if there was that much bickering going on that they couldn't put aside their differences for the good of the team. I still have trouble believing that they all couldn't get along.
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 20 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:37 pm

The Velva kids have a distoted perception of what it take to win. They succeed in sports where they don't have to put any time in-they win championships in baseball and football and wrestling by just showing up and playing hard.  They got out of the season exactly what they put into it- NOTHING!  They don't attend team camps or spend any time in the gym in the off season. They have athletes playing basketball-they don't have any basketball players.  And until they find some kids that love the game and want to play will they succeed.  The coaches can only do so much the kids have to want it.     

Parents played a big role in the downfall of this group.  They were selfish and when your ripping the coach at home how do you think the kids will have any respect for him  and show up and play.  It seemed that the parents were more concerned about having their kid playing than winning.       

Postby the low down » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:45 pm

Basketball is to Velva like Soccer is to America, it's just not going to work.  I don't care if you have Bobby Knight or John Wooden coaching.

It's rediculous to think that it's the coach. The players need to look at themselves for the team's underachieving.  Too many people want to begin with the coach when the players themselves just need to grow up. 
Last edited by the low down on Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the low down
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison_18 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:30 pm

20 wrote:The Velva kids have a distoted perception of what it take to win. They succeed in sports where they don't have to put any time in-they win championships in baseball and football and wrestling by just showing up and playing hard.  They got out of the season exactly what they put into it- NOTHING!  They don't attend team camps or spend any time in the gym in the off season. They have athletes playing basketball-they don't have any basketball players.  And until they find some kids that love the game and want to play will they succeed.  The coaches can only do so much the kids have to want it.     

Parents played a big role in the downfall of this group.  They were selfish and when your ripping the coach at home how do you think the kids will have any respect for him  and show up and play.  It seemed that the parents were more concerned about having their kid playing than winning.       

Yeah, you're right. The kids that play football, baseball and wrestling don't put any effort in. The skill just comes out of the blue sky. If you went to fb camps or played baseball for 5 months out of the year you might understand. You don't win a state legion championship by just showing up or win that many state fb championships by showing up. ALOT of effort goes into those and that's why they're successful.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby TNT » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:40 pm

20 wrote:The Velva kids have a distoted perception of what it take to win. They succeed in sports where they don't have to put any time in-they win championships in baseball and football and wrestling by just showing up and playing hard.  They got out of the season exactly what they put into it- NOTHING!  They don't attend team camps or spend any time in the gym in the off season. They have athletes playing basketball-they don't have any basketball players.  And until they find some kids that love the game and want to play will they succeed.  The coaches can only do so much the kids have to want it.     

The only thing distoted is your ego.

Evidently you do not/never played or have a kid play football or baseball for velva. kids dont put time in football and baseball in velva? are you kidding me? those football kids during the season have football practice/film/game every day of the week no dedication right? In baseball those kids hardly get a weekend off from baseball. They put in the same effort and heart in basketball. Don't even try to tell me those kids don't try. one time the kids lost in football in the playoffs the whole team cried, lost in nationals in baseball the whole team cried and they dont put effort in or care? End of the basketball season when they lose did you see the whole team cry? No 3/4 the kids are sick of seeing the same stuff happen year over year and nothing is ever changed. Open your eyes if another coach had that much talent for the last 5-6 years they would atleast make 1 run at getting to state.
Last edited by TNT on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby TNT » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:44 pm

the low down wrote:Basketball is to Velva like Soccer is to America, it's just not going to work.  I don't care if you have Bobby Knight or John Wooden coaching.

It's rediculous to think that it's the coach. The players need to look at themselves for the team's underachieving.  Too many people want to begin with the coach when the players themselves just need to grow up. 

Velva dont watch film, they have no game plan, never change plays, never put in new plays, no players gets sat on the bench for doing the same mistakes over and over, who is responsible for those things? Does any coach in the basketball do that?
TNT
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:41 am

[user=47]TNT[/user] wrote:
the low down wrote:Basketball is to Velva like Soccer is to America, it's just not going to work.  I don't care if you have Bobby Knight or John Wooden coaching.

Velva dont watch film, they have no game plan, never change plays, never put in new plays, no players gets sat on the bench for doing the same mistakes over and over, who is responsible for those things? Does any coach in the basketball do that?

So since John Lauinger received the District 11 Coach of the Year award 3 of the last 5 years - that must mean that every other coach in that District that voted him as Coach of the Year don't know what they're doing either?
I've watched Velva over the years with Coach Lauinger, and thought that they have had a lot of success when most people didn't think they would. This year is the ONLY year where they have been rated fairly high in their District and region - and didn't achieve that goal. It is ludicrous to think that a guy all of a sudden turns into a coach with no control or discipline because his team had a bad game - which happened to be a costly one, but still it was ONE bad game of an otherwise fairly successful year.
Coming from a town where Football and wrestling are the two main sports, and still fielding a boys basketball team that has won over 14 games a season for the last 4 years - I think is a pretty darn good stat.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys