Best team of all time in Class B

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:34 am

LaMoure had a before it's time inside/outside game with Bruce Schockman, Monk Haugen on the inside and Leon Thielges lighting it up from the outside. Scary to think how much more effective or lopsided the game would be if they had the three.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:36 am

[user=1971]NDinPHX[/user] wrote:
That Edinburg team was pretty dominate in the tourney...  I think it was '88.  Correct me if I am wrong, and Guldseth was an absolute man among boys.

I also, was going to mention the Edinburg team as my #2 choice - but I didn't think anybody would agree. They were a great team. Guldseth obviously was the main man - but he had a very good supporting cast in the two Gudmonson brothers - and Laxdahl, and James Johanason. They were all great role players and played together exceptionally well.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:57 am

Teams that were good when I played, back in the day, (Wednesday) where Carrington 94-95.  Also the New Rockford Team from just a couple years ago was a pretty good team.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:59 am

Indians Alumni wrote:Teams that were good when I played, back in the day, (Wednesday) where Carrington 94-95.  Also the New Rockford Team from just a couple years ago was a pretty good team.

Umm... you forgot to mention the FWs teams of the past 5-10 years or so...
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:24 am

I think that it's pretty rediculous that you guys just try to provoke IA, NG and the rest of the FW fans on here, and then when they respond to you, you get angry.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:25 am

BB11 wrote:[user=1971]NDinPHX[/user] wrote:
That Edinburg team was pretty dominate in the tourney...� I think it was '88.� Correct me if I am wrong, and Guldseth was an absolute man among boys.

I also, was going to mention the Edinburg team as my #2 choice - but I didn't think anybody would agree. They were a great team. Guldseth obviously was the main man - but he had a very good supporting cast in the two Gudmonson brothers - and Laxdahl, and James Johanason. They were all great role players and played together exceptionally well.

I agree with the edinburg prediction... fyi - its spelled l-a-x-d-a-l

NB in 2001 had one of the most balanced teams to win state and had the toughest road to win the tournament that i've seen in a long time.  1st round - returning state champ, 2nd round - returning state 3rd, championship - undefeated and #1 ranked cando cubs.  I haven't gone through every post on here but im sure the may port teams of the mid 90's and recently 2003 team have been mentioned so i'll put them down as well
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:33 am

They had the highest scorer in FW history in those games.  Dale Alberts still has the record I think.  That boy could shoot the lights out.  He would pull up from hash and drain it.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:37 am

The Schwab wrote:I think that it's pretty rediculous that you guys just try to provoke IA, NG and the rest of the FW fans on here, and then when they respond to you, you get angry.

Here here!!!!:alc:
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rkmt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:01 am

baller01 wrote:
Indians Alumni wrote:Teams that were good when I played, back in the day, (Wednesday) where Carrington 94-95.  Also the New Rockford Team from just a couple years ago was a pretty good team.

Baller01, I think you make good points on a variety of topics, so don't diminish what you bring to the board and make yourself sound small on these topics where FW comes up.  Yes, I agree it's alot, but some comments, like yours, and some from another Region particularly, just make it alot worse. 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 am

rkmt wrote:
baller01 wrote:

Baller01, I think you make good points on a variety of topics, so don't diminish what you bring to the board and make yourself sound small on these topics where FW comes up.  Yes, I agree it's alot, but some comments, like yours, and some from another Region particularly, just make it alot worse. 

next super mod right there
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:07 am

we've had alot of discussions about the direction some of the threads go and how some try to set it up for inflamatory posts and getting into an arguement. The bottom line is, try to keep things positive and constructive.

If you start a thread off with the intent of drawing others into a fight....we'll lock it up.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rkmt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:12 am

point/center wrote:LaMoure had a before it's time inside/outside game with Bruce Schockman, Monk Haugen on the inside and Leon Thielges lighting it up from the outside. Scary to think how much more effective or lopsided the game would be if they had the three.

I was young back then so details are fuzzy, but it was just amazing watching them destroy teams - undefeated Mott, undefeated (I think) Kulm.  Maybe there were close games but I don't remember the scores, just that they won all the time.  I remember them scoring 100 - my first time seeing that in person, and I don't even remember if the scoreboard had 3 digits.  Then to go to the state tournament and win by 24, 24 and 25 over two more undefeated teams - I think Rolla and then Newtown in the title game (86-61) were the two undefeateds.  When you get that far and are finding undefeated teams after 26 or 28 games, and then still winning by over 20, it's domination.   Good point about the 3-pointer.  Some of the shooters had range.
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby rkmt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:12 am

baseball wrote:
rkmt wrote:
baller01 wrote:

That's just a little too much responsibility for me!!  How's the pay?
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:15 am

rkmt wrote:
baseball wrote:
rkmt wrote:
baller01 wrote:

That's just a little too much responsibility for me!!  How's the pay?
pay? we operate purely on credit

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:17 am

rkmt wrote:
point/center wrote:LaMoure had a before it's time inside/outside game with Bruce Schockman, Monk Haugen on the inside and Leon Thielges lighting it up from the outside. Scary to think how much more effective or lopsided the game would be if they had the three.

I was young back then so details are fuzzy, but it was just amazing watching them destroy teams - undefeated Mott, undefeated (I think) Kulm.  Maybe there were close games but I don't remember the scores, just that they won all the time.  I remember them scoring 100 - my first time seeing that in person, and I don't even remember if the scoreboard had 3 digits.  Then to go to the state tournament and win by 24, 24 and 25 over two more undefeated teams - I think Rolla and then Newtown in the title game (86-61) were the two undefeateds.  When you get that far and are finding undefeated teams after 26 or 28 games, and then still winning by over 20, it's domination.   Good point about the 3-pointer.  Some of the shooters had range.
that's what i'm talking about. i can't imagine a team trying to defend the 3 and not give up the inside game.....those games may have been even bigger blow outs

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:25 am

97 MPCG team was far and away the best basketball team in the modern era and perhaps ever in this state.  I played against them in the state quarterfinals that year and when you walked out on the floor and saw their height and size it was instant intimidation.  Not to mention their athleticism and basketball ability.  After we got over the initial shock, we played them pretty tough and ended up losing by 10.  I think we were the closest any ND team go to them that year.  I do think they lost to a team or two from the cities, tho.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Diamond D » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:00 am

I am going to throw this out and some of the younger ones on the site my disagree, but I think the older ones will agree.

I don't think MPCG of 97 was the best this state has ever seen. 

I know I only got to watch them play a handful of games, but I believe there were many teams in 1992 and 93 that would have contested against them.  I also think the Newburg team of Chris Leamioux (sp?) and Kevin Beirman would have given them a good shot at the title as well.

I think both Ryan and Jason Henry at Minot Ryan (1992) would have been able to keep pressure on Nelson....they also had Pankratz that year.  Watford City was pretty stacked as well as Munich, Mohall, Trenton, and Del Lacs/Burlington.

Washburn, Kenmare, Linton, Hillsboro and few other had some athletes/teams as well that I think would have competed against them very well in some of the past years.

Now I am not saying they WOULD beat the 97 team, but I think they would have given a very good run at the title.
Last edited by Diamond D on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond D

Postby BB11 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:37 am

[user=1251]Diamond D[/user] wrote:

I am going to throw this out and some of the younger ones on the site my disagree, but I think the older ones will agree.

I don't think MPCG of 97 was the best this state has ever seen. 

I know I only got to watch them play a handful of games, but I believe there were many teams in 1992 and 93 that would have contested against them.  I also think the Newburg team of Chris Leamioux (sp?) and Kevin Beirman would have given them a good shot at the title as well.

I think both Ryan and Jason Henry at Minot Ryan (1992) would have been able to keep pressure on Nelson....they also had Pankratz that year.  Watford City was pretty stacked as well as Munich, Mohall, Trenton, and Del Lacs/Burlington.

Washburn, Kenmare, Linton, Hillsboro and few other had some athletes/teams as well that I think would have competed against them very well in some of the past years.

Now I am not saying they WOULD beat the 97 team, but I think they would have given a very good run at the title.

Craig Nelson didn't play on that MPCG team. It was Chuck Klabo 6'5 - Andrew Leclair 6'7 Matt Swift 6'5, Tom Jacobsen 6'5 Jeremy Macekovic 6'6 the other Klabo - whose name escapes me now - 6'6 and Travis Kraft 6'7 came off the bench with Chuck Klabo.
My belief in saying MPCG was the best is that they were the most TALENTED team I had ever seen. 6 of these 7 individuals went on to play D-1 Basketball, football or D-2 or NAIA basketball. They were the most athletically gifted TEAM I have ever seen. I think the Lamoure team of 76 or 77 I forget which year - That would have been the most dominant.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:41 am

Darren Klabo

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am

[user=26]point/center[/user] wrote:
Darren Klabo

Thank you - I don't know why I forgot that.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:47 am

i think there was a little bit of consternation with Chuck and Leah...I think they were in the Finley Sharon dist.? but Chuck went to Mayville for hoops? Not 100% sure on that.

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:52 am

i think there was a little bit of consternation with Chuck and Leah...I think they were in the Finley Sharon dist.? but Chuck went to Mayville for hoops? Not 100% sure on that.

Chuck and Darren Klabo went to elementary school in Finley and then high school in MPCG - there were some people that weren't happy about that. Also Travis Kraft's dad got a job in MPCG I believe when Travis was a 7th or 8th grader - they were previously at Central Valley.
And obviously Leclair's moved in when Andy was in elementary as his dad got the head coach job at MSU for football.
So not a lot of May-Port natives on that team - which leaves the conspirators to believe in the recruiting stories.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:54 am

i've always beena fan of conspiracy....gives me a reason to look over my shoulder :D

point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:58 am

i've always beena fan of conspiracy....gives me a reason to look over my shoulder :D

Yes - it was pretty easy to buy into it too - but most those kids moved in elementary or junior high - so it's hard to cry recruitment when your talking about 11 and 12 year olds - but who knows - always the possibility.....
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby heelsfan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:06 am

Beulah had 2 chances to beat them for the title that year and should have.  And Beulah's tallest guy didn't match up with their shortest starter.  That says a lot for them.
heelsfan
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys