Class B vs Class A

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby fightingsioux20 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:07 pm

This year there have been many class b teams to play valley city.  Is this a good or bad thing and what rules should be played by causes it kinda hard for a class B team to go in and have to adjust to the shot clock and the 2 18 min halves?
fightingsioux20
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBballa » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm

IMO b teams playing smaller a teams is ok. If they want i don't think they should be stopped.

I would say that you wouldn't use the shot clock. It would be hard to get use to and the a team would just have longer than they're use to which shouldn't really harm them. I guess to me it wouldn't really matter if the game was in quarters or halves.
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:28 pm

My opinion is if the class A school like Valley City is trying to schedule games with class B schools then they shouldn't use the shot clock. If class B teams are looking to schedule them then if they wanna use the shot clock they can. Just my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby basketballman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:22 pm

I wouldn't really have a problem with the 2 halves and shot clock cause it will prolly be used sometime in the near future for class B too
basketballman

Postby baseball » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:07 pm

ndfan wrote:My opinion is if the class A school like Valley City is trying to schedule games with class B schools then they shouldn't use the shot clock. If class B teams are looking to schedule them then if they wanna use the shot clock they can. Just my opinion.

i agree, or else if its played in a B gym use quarters and no shot clock and in Valley use A rules.  personally i wouldnt mind playing more minutes i guess and as far as the shot clock, i dont remember a possession when i played that lasted longer then 35 seconds..
Last edited by baseball on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stromer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:43 pm

baseball wrote:i agree, or else if its played in a B gym use quarters and no shot clock and in Valley use A rules.  personally i wouldnt mind playing more minutes i guess and as far as the shot clock, i dont remember a possession when i played that lasted longer then 35 seconds..

I agree with that.  It reminds me of a rule in 7/8 grade.  Sometimes when we played out east, the schools used girls balls and i think you couldn't press ( i think, or was it that 3 point shots counted for 2?).  When they came to our gym howver, we used guys balls and could press.  Anyone else heard of this rule?
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ClassBballa » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:20 am

baseball wrote:
ndfan wrote:My opinion is if the class A school like Valley City is trying to schedule games with class B schools then they shouldn't use the shot clock. If class B teams are looking to schedule them then if they wanna use the shot clock they can. Just my opinion.

i agree, or else if its played in a B gym use quarters and no shot clock and in Valley use A rules.  personally i wouldnt mind playing more minutes i guess and as far as the shot clock, i dont remember a possession when i played that lasted longer then 35 seconds..

if its played in the b school they pretty much couldn't use shot clocks because nobody has them

even at the end of the game?
We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:36 am

ClassBballa wrote:
baseball wrote:

if its played in the b school they pretty much couldn't use shot clocks because nobody has them

My guess would be that he played for a shot happy offense where everyone shoots as soon as they get the ball. But then, some players are like that and want to build up their personal stats instead of what is best for the team. From my point of view, it is always nice for a team to look for a good shot, even if it takes a little while instead of bombing it up from whereever.
Last edited by bballfan_05 on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bearsfan » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:48 am

ClassBballa wrote:
baseball wrote:

I think you are right... while at a B school it would have to be without.  But at the A school.... I would suggest going without also.  There is a huge difference for the B school going to the shot clock.... I'm not saying that they couldn't.... its just a philosophy of a style of defense.  Playing very hard defense for 35 seconds and offensively trying to get one very high percentage shot during that time is what the shot clock is all about.  And I will agree with you that most teams (as far as they know) don't take 35 seconds to shoot.... but you would be surprised if you played a slow down team that made you set it up and also pressed so it took 8 or 9 seconds to get across the half court line. 

This is the adjustment that Beulah is trying to make this year.... the region 7 teams are very defensively minded teams and 35 seconds sometimes is the time that they pull it back to resetup for another play and in the last 7 years it would have been a turnover or a bad shot would have been thrown up as the clock was expiring.  It may be better for that A team to learn to play a longer defense.

And as far as the 2 halves..... the word from the Montana teams that came to North Dakota (Glendive and Sidney) is that they found out that the depth of their teams was pushed to the max.  Playing hard for that long was pretty tough on them. So I would suggest to play quarters just because of the depth.
Bearsfan

Return to Boys