Are Refs in ND taking over the game?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:00 am

one move that i notice some refs call a travel and some dont is the "Pro Hop" some kids I've seen are good at it and it gets called a travel, and some that travel when they do it dont get called.....refs really call that one differnt.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:27 pm

I only got to play three games in my high school career with minnesota refs and i loved it because the game didn't take an extra 45 minutes because of touchy little fouls called that really have no effect on the game.  in the post the only fouls that were called were the ones that were apparently fouls when the crowd of the player who committs the foul even agrees with it.  It was hard to adjust to that because every other game of the year seemed to be called differently.  once you get to districts/regionals/state the refs really let things go alot more which i dont understand why the don't do it that way the whole year
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby xcolt90 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:31 am

Two things bother me about officials today. 

1) They have no clue about traveling and the jumpstop-step through move.  If the dribble is picked up in the air then the player can even come down on one foot and then step through.  They almost never get that right.

2)  Block/Charge calls:  Coaches have to teach kids to flop to get a call on the offense so now that's all you see.  Good defensive players now days are just good actors that get into position and flop.
xcolt90

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:49 am

The Schwab wrote:one move that i notice some refs call a travel and some dont is the "Pro Hop" some kids I've seen are good at it and it gets called a travel, and some that travel when they do it dont get called.....refs really call that one differnt.

Yah, I agree with that. Some people get alot of their scoring off that move, but if its called a travel, that takes away some of their affectiveness. Its hard to know when you can and can't do it.
thunderbaseball_38

Postby observer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:48 am

Even the inconsistencies by refs during games is difficult - it's hard for the fans to watch.  So I can't imagine how frustrating it has to be for the players.  Physical games are the norm now but I do understand and want the refs to control it enough so that it doesn't get out of hand and injuries happen when they shouldn't. 

Regarding 3 refs - we sometimes joke in the stands that when there's three refs they all feel the need to get their quota of foul calling in so that they earn their pay. 
observer

Postby WildWarrior » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:19 am

observer wrote:Even the inconsistencies by refs during games is difficult - it's hard for the fans to watch.  So I can't imagine how frustrating it has to be for the players.  Physical games are the norm now but I do understand and want the refs to control it enough so that it doesn't get out of hand and injuries happen when they shouldn't. 

Regarding 3 refs - we sometimes joke in the stands that when there's three refs they all feel the need to get their quota of foul calling in so that they earn their pay. 

Plus it is easier to go with the old hockey saying:  3 blind mice............
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Previous

Return to Boys