Best Site for State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rkmt » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:00 am

rkmt wrote:
baseball wrote:
rkmt wrote:
vballfan06 wrote:Jamestown has held the Class B girls tournament, and will host the state volleyball tournament next year.  It could be interesting with 16 teams there.

They've done the volleyball tourney with 16 teams there, and there were some hotel space problems.  Haven't been to a state GBB tourney there.  Obviously not a place for a boys B tourney.  I think Bismarck is the best tourney town for almost anything.  Minot does a good job too.  Not a fan of the tournaments in Fargo.

yea thats right, if you want to feel a great boys basketball atmosphere go to Jamestown on region championship night of Region 3.....places is usually full by halftime of the 3rd place game.

Relax, I've been there for a region championship night.  I mean State which is what the topic is if you haven't noticed

And also I was referring to the hotel situation which was what I said just before that statement.  If they can't handle girls volleyball, how could they house everyone who goes to the state B? 
rkmt
NDPreps Starter

Postby berry186 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:02 am

baseball wrote:
rkmt wrote:[user=1613]vballfan06[/user] wrote:
Jamestown has held the Class B girls tournament, and will host the state volleyball tournament next year.  It could be interesting with 16 teams there.
They've done the volleyball tourney with 16 teams there, and there were some hotel space problems.  Haven't been to a state GBB tourney there.  Obviously not a place for a boys B tourney.  I think Bismarck is the best tourney town for almost anything.  Minot does a good job too.  Not a fan of the tournaments in Fargo.

yea thats right, if you want to feel a great boys basketball atmosphere go to Jamestown on region championship night of Region 3.....places is usually full by halftime of the 3rd place game.

ya that was a great crowd in last year in region 3 and game. but it couldnt hold a boys state tournament it wouldnt have enough seats i dont think
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:28 am

i like the seating in bismarck and minot.  advantage goes to bismarck however becuz the civic center is right in the middle of everything.  the mall is right there and there are alot of hotels with in just walking distance.  the dome is minot is way up north away from everything and everyone stayin has to drive up there.  should never be in fargo again.  always construction and the fargo dome is way north of everything.
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby cardinal10 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:31 am

Talk to your local legislature reps.  The state government feels they should somehow have a say as to where the tournaments are held.  Is this a good idea?  Bismarck or Minot, I say are the two best.  Wasn't really impressed much by the FargoDome for BB.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:36 am

Indians Alumni wrote:I would say a good place would be at the Betty in GF.  That place is awesome and GF is a great place to shop and stay during.

the betty does have one of the nicest floors ive ever played on but there is one problem with it being in gf.  people like to come to watch the tournament and the betty doesnt hold nearly enough people that come to watch it. 
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:42 am

sodadrinker wrote:i like the seating in bismarck and minot.  advantage goes to bismarck however becuz the civic center is right in the middle of everything.  the mall is right there and there are alot of hotels with in just walking distance.  the dome is minot is way up north away from everything and everyone stayin has to drive up there.  should never be in fargo again.  always construction and the fargo dome is way north of everything.

could the Fargo Civic Center hold it?  whats the seating like in there?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:48 am

baseball wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:i like the seating in bismarck and minot.  advantage goes to bismarck however becuz the civic center is right in the middle of everything.  the mall is right there and there are alot of hotels with in just walking distance.  the dome is minot is way up north away from everything and everyone stayin has to drive up there.  should never be in fargo again.  always construction and the fargo dome is way north of everything.

cant say ive been in there i guess so i cant answer that one hopefully someone can
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby berry186 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:03 am

sodadrinker wrote:
baseball wrote:

cant say ive been in there i guess so i cant answer that one hopefully someone can

i dont think it could one side behind the hoop it has a stage not able to hold one
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Stromer » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:34 am

IMO the class B boys tourney needs to be in Bismarck every year.  A great building that houses a minor league NBA team.  Perfect for the boys tourney.  Minot should get the girls.  Girls don't bring as many people as boys do, and while the Dome is nice, the seats aren't as great as the Civic.  The girls fills the building nicely though.  Give Fargo and GF the EDC and state basketball tourneys and have them roate them.  The Alerus and the the Fargo Dome are the only places truly capable of playing both tourneys at once.  Plus it actually is pretty cool.  That should satisfy everyone and prevent another girl's tourney in Jamestown as that was the worst idea ever.
Hater of the NC$$

Increased D1 student fees? I'm all for it.

http://www.siouxsports.com
Stromer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:15 am

I used to hate attending state A girls and boys at the Alerus/Fargodome but I think people are getting used to it and its pretty cool to watch a half of girls and then walk to the other court and watch a half of boys.  As for class B...Bismarck is a great place to watch basketball when there are a large number of people there.
bballfan1
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoop_fan1 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:18 pm

I agree, Boys state B: Bismarck-centrally located, plenty of hotels, etc

and---Girls State B: The Betty-not big enough for boys, but has to be the best    place for a basketball game in ND.  If I was a kid again, that is where I would want to play my big games.  Now if I was a kid from Bowman, ND- I probably wouldn't appreciate the drive, but once I got there it would be worth it.

Class A- don't really care what they do!
hoop_fan1
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:35 pm

does the betty even have enough seating to hold girls??  when i was there it didnt seem like it had that much
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby point/center » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:49 pm

regardless of what we think is the best place. understand that Bismarck tournament (or just about anytown) would NOT want to have the 'B' every year. It's a huge undertaking and while the fans and maybe motels/restaurants/malls would enjoy it. The thousands of volunteer hours it takes to pull the 'B' together, is not easy.

Most on tourney committess enjoy swaping things around a bit from A to B and the different sports too.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Why not do something like this. Rotate the state basketball touraments between Bismarck and Minot (even though Bismarck is better) and rotate state football like they do between Fargo and Grand Forks. This way each of the 4 major cities gets a state tournament. It isn't really fair to the cities when Fargo has both the state football and state basketball. Fargo shouldn't be allowed to even have a basketball court in that place. Absolute worst venue to have a basketball game in.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:09 pm

baller01 wrote:Why not do something like this. Rotate the state basketball touraments between Bismarck and Minot (even though Bismarck is better) and rotate state football like they do between Fargo and Grand Forks. This way each of the 4 major cities gets a state tournament. It isn't really fair to the cities when Fargo has both the state football and state basketball. Fargo shouldn't be allowed to even have a basketball court in that place. Absolute worst venue to have a basketball game in.

Good proposal, Bismarck is by far the best place to watch the state B though by far.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:03 pm

i heard bismarck is under contract to hold state b boys for the next few years.  is this true?

sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby ClassBballa » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:14 pm

I hope so. It is the best place and it should stay there.

We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.
ClassBballa
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby magic715 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:15 pm

IMO Bismarck is the best, Great atmophere, easy to get around, and great seating, great concourse, i love minot, but the Dome doesnt even compare to the Civic Center in Bismarck, it needs to be centrally located, and unless Minot builds something more updated, it should be held in Bismarck every yr, oh yea and availibility of motels is better than minot.
magic715

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:32 pm

I've been to it at all 3 sites, fargo, minot and bismarck.  Fargo is probably the best town as far as motels and everything but i didn't really like it in the dome, seemed to out of the way and not class b style.  I love the facility in minot but unless you reserve rooms well in advance you probably aren't gonna get very good hotel rooms.  Minot has the best gym and arena IMO.  Bismarck is nice because from most of the hotels in town the civic center is walking distance from where you are staying.  I like the civic center as a facility as well and the location of that is the best which is why state should stay in bismarck.  maybe move it to minot every 3rd tournament or something.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Watcher 007 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:58 am

I totally agree about the Civic Center and having it in Bismarck.
Watcher 007
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:34 am

The Civic in Bismarck is the best, second is Minot and really should be the only two places to get it.  I wish they would do away with Fargo and GF even for Class A, bad crowds terrible venues - I hope Minot can add another court so they can hold Class A and Bismarck I believe can hold it with the other gym there.  I think it should go 2 years in Bismarck then 1 in Minot and keep it like that.
sportsguy

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:17 am

sportsguy wrote:The Civic in Bismarck is the best, second is Minot and really should be the only two places to get it.  I wish they would do away with Fargo and GF even for Class A, bad crowds terrible venues - I hope Minot can add another court so they can hold Class A and Bismarck I believe can hold it with the other gym there.  I think it should go 2 years in Bismarck then 1 in Minot and keep it like that.

what about the exhibition hall in bismarck.....get 2 more sets of roll in bleachers i think that would be enough to old A for girls....if i remmeber right from the last time i was in there i guess it seemed big enough....only problem they would probably have to walk to the actual civic center for concessions....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 am

my only complaint about bismarck is the media setup...the seats are kind of in one of the corners which isnt' fantastic and the tables are set up so that when there are people walking behind you to get to their seats you are constantly having to shuffle your chair around or get bumped as people go by...not fun when you are trying to take notes and type and figure out what is going on during a game.

in minot, you get a front-row seat more or less in the middle of everything and you are just far enough in front of the stands so no one has to bump into your chair.

but bismarck also has phone lines right at the tables, so you can hook up your computer right there and send your story from courtside which is nearly unbeatable. with minot you have to go to the media room (which is crowded after basketball games) and ship it (unless photographers are sending photos which isn't exactly quick when using a phone line) unless you go back to your motel room.

i prefer doing interviews in bismarck, both lockerrooms for the teams that are playing are within 20 or 30 feet of each other and you can grab people to talk to while keeping an eye on the other lockerrom to make sure you don't miss anyone. if both teams are on the ground floor in minot it is all right but sometimes they stick a team on the second floor and that makes the whole post-game stuff a little more interesting.

as far as location, it is usually cold enough where i'm driving regardless and you couldn't pay me enough money to go into the mall in bismarck during state tournament time, so that part of it doesn't really cause me pause either way. my down time consists of ps2 in my motel room or watching a dvd.
rep

Postby the mask » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:40 pm

Bismarck all the way great facility
you don't have to win championships to be considered a good team
the mask
NDPreps Starter

Postby Privdog » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:34 am

I think Bismarck should be the only place to the State Class B Tournament. The Civic Center is a great place to play and watch the basketball games.
Privdog
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys