Best Radio Announcers

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baller01 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:35 pm

And this is Ole Olson live on Am 600 KSJB. Cmon now. No love for ol' Ole?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:39 pm

baller01 wrote:And this is Ole Olson live on Am 600 KSJB. Cmon now. No love for ol' Ole?

Nope
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:41 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:
baller01 wrote:And this is Ole Olson live on Am 600 KSJB. Cmon now. No love for ol' Ole?

Nope

Whats wrong with Ole? I happen to like listenin to the guy. Sure he might be a lil boring but he's got a great radio voice. Give him some slack, he's like 70+.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:45 pm

baller01 wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:

Nope

Whats wrong with Ole? I happen to like listenin to the guy. Sure he might be a lil boring but he's got a great radio voice. Give him some slack, he's like 70+.

True, the guy has been doing it for so long, almost a lock for the ND radio broadcasters hall of fame. I tend to prefer someone who gets more into the game, makes you feel like you are actually there instead of sitting at home listening to it.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby P-town Brave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:02 am

I got to say KHMA 91.3 has the best

P-town Brave
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsjunkie » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:14 am

I would have to say Bruce is the best to.  He really gets into the game and gives you the feel of the atmosphere at the game.
sportsjunkie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:16 am

ClassBballa wrote:My vote is also with Mark Biggly.

When it is an exciting game and he gets into it, it is something else. Its like i'm there sitting beside him. GOOD COUNT IT AND A FOUL.  (if he would just stop wearing all that Packers stuff..haha)

I hear you, and also, I don't think the guy owns pants!  He is out in -30 degree weather covering games in khaki shorts???  Mans Crazy
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby basketballman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:02 pm

Hewitt i think does a very good job broadcasting games on 1600 KDAK
basketballman

Postby ndspectator07 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:31 pm

[font=comic sans ms]I agree with Ole... he's been with us a long time, and he can make it interesting when the games are close...[/font]
ndspectator07

Postby Dizza30 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:15 am

mark biggly by far
Dizza30
NDPreps Starter

Postby twinsfan34 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:05 am

point/center wrote:Jack Michaels KFYR

I second that.  I heard him last night doing the Mandan/Bismarck game on 710 KXMR (KFYR's sister station).  Very good announcer.
twinsfan34

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:22 am

Mark McKenzie out of Jamestown, he does a great job broadcasting boys and girls games. 
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND_SportsNut » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:30 am

There are a lot of poor ones, a few good ones, but none as good as Beighley. Plus he does a great job covering EVERYTHING and if he has to he'll cover an afternoon game out of town and come back to DL to cover a night game.
ND_SportsNut

Postby 1_Chevy_1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:14 pm

u no it wrote:Kyle Hewitt all the way!!
He is good and he has good knowledge of the game
1_Chevy_1
NDPreps Starter

Postby rumbles » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:20 pm

1_Chevy_1 wrote:
u no it wrote:Kyle Hewitt all the way!!
He is good and he has good knowledge of the game
Kyle Hewitt on 1600 is an excellent announcer for basketball, football, and volleyball
rumbles
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 666 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:44 pm

didnt Beighley get the radio announcer of the year award last year...i dont know how it could change he is amazing.

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:20 am

rep wrote:if given the chance i wouldn't want to work for espn...i would never toe their company line. ever.
must be a media thing to hate on ESPN
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby rep » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:30 am

point/center wrote:
rep wrote:if given the chance i wouldn't want to work for espn...i would never toe their company line. ever.

their print product isn't horrible...their magazine looks like someone's drug-induced nightmare. their television product is probably my least favorite part of their enterprise. i watch espn for games and that is usually with the sound off. when i go into work, if i had my druthers, i would only watch espnews...they tell you what is happening, not what michael irvin thinks about what is happening, like i can't form my own opinion on the matter.

berman is a slug. gammons is pretty respectable but only if he isn't talking about the red sox. olney is a yankees hack. about the only former athletes i can stomach from espn are tom jackson (though i hate the jacked up bit) and steve young.

i think my biggest problem with espn is that you can tell which teams/programs are 'their teams' and with journalism, good journalism anyway, you shouldn't be able to.

every day in journalism you have to toe certain lines with advertising, but in my opinion advertising shouldn't dictate how you run what you run. the television show 'playmakers' comes to mind. that little fiasco more or less killed any love i have for espn.

belichick...you can't tell me that he wouldn't be getting his free pass if he hadn't brought super bowl success to the patriots. and every time espn refers to him he is a genius, greatest thing ever. not a man who breaks up marriages, or is a bitter little person whose single purpose at the beginning of every day is to slight the media in some way/shape/form.

if i hear one more pedro gomez report on barry bonds i think i'll pull my arm off and beat myself senseless with it.

the network won't televise the nhl but will televise competitive frickin stacking. ugh.

and i think that my biggest problem is that the rest of the world eats it all up. espn's numbers couldn't be higher. they grabbed monday night football and had some of the highest ratings in history. to me, anyway, it seems like they put out a half-thought out product and it is fawned over.

i would much rather work for a place like the washington post or the kc star. those are fairly reputable. those are places with credibility. those are places where you can actually learn something about your craft instead of just spew half-truths like any schmuck off the street.
rep

Postby point/center » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:48 am

rep wrote:
point/center wrote:

their print product isn't horrible...their magazine looks like someone's drug-induced nightmare. their television product is probably my least favorite part of their enterprise. i watch espn for games and that is usually with the sound off. when i go into work, if i had my druthers, i would only watch espnews...they tell you what is happening, not what michael irvin thinks about what is happening, like i can't form my own opinion on the matter.

berman is a slug. gammons is pretty respectable but only if he isn't talking about the red sox. olney is a yankees hack. about the only former athletes i can stomach from espn are tom jackson (though i hate the jacked up bit) and steve young.

i think my biggest problem with espn is that you can tell which teams/programs are 'their teams' and with journalism, good journalism anyway, you shouldn't be able to.

every day in journalism you have to toe certain lines with advertising, but in my opinion advertising shouldn't dictate how you run what you run. the television show 'playmakers' comes to mind. that little fiasco more or less killed any love i have for espn.

belichick...you can't tell me that he wouldn't be getting his free pass if he hadn't brought super bowl success to the patriots. and every time espn refers to him he is a genius, greatest thing ever. not a man who breaks up marriages, or is a bitter little person whose single purpose at the beginning of every day is to slight the media in some way/shape/form.

if i hear one more pedro gomez report on barry bonds i think i'll pull my arm off and beat myself senseless with it.

the network won't televise the nhl but will televise competitive frickin stacking. ugh.

and i think that my biggest problem is that the rest of the world eats it all up. espn's numbers couldn't be higher. they grabbed monday night football and had some of the highest ratings in history. to me, anyway, it seems like they put out a half-thought out product and it is fawned over.

i would much rather work for a place like the washington post or the kc star. those are fairly reputable. those are places with credibility. those are places where you can actually learn something about your craft instead of just spew half-truths like any schmuck off the street.
tell us how you really feel:D

I'm not a huge fan of ESPN other than ESPN News, ESPN Classic. I dont' watch anything other than games or baseball tonight, college game day. Nothing on my radar about the PTI or crud like that. I just wonder why media types hate on ESPN. I've wondered if it was a pinch of jealousy? It's a huge wheel that pushes what they feel is news on people. Bonds, TO. I don't care one iota (that's a word) about those, but anytime they can it drives their broadcast.

As far as the media bias. That's reality of population. NY and East bias is not so much a bias as it is a function of the population. It's like saying ND is Fargo heavy. why? Becuase 1/5 of the state lives in Cass County. 1/3 of the state lives east of I29. That's EAST of I29. I'm losing track here.

The point is Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Boston Celtics NY Football Giants, NE Patriots will get more ink and TV time. Last I checked LA didnt have a FB team.....

Like I said I'm not a huge fan of ESPN. With all due respect Fox Sports Net product is bush league. If there was an alternative I'd enjoy try it. But right now ESPN is all there is really. and I'll take it.
only shot at NDpreps HOF: Veterans committee

moderator m/o:your moral compass

http://viewfromthecrowsnest.blogspot.com/
point/center
NDPreps Legend

Postby 24/7ndfan » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:21 am

brmballer7 wrote:
horne98 wrote:
FREE CHET wrote:GR is tops - I always see the game when I listen.  Jack MIchaels is great.  Keating is not on my list - too much dead time and don't like the commentary.  Another lesser known is the "football authority" from LaMoure.  I like him doing football or basketball.  :cool1:
i think both of the keatings do a good job. on voice alone they are excellent announcers. i just don't here the dead time. bruce from lisbon is classic.

i agree with bruce from lisbon, but i also agree with free chet on the point that the keating are tough to listen to. i also like the "football authority". isnt his name vance?:duel:
vance stemen did all the loboe football games and he also helped out during girls districts
24/7ndfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby crete00 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:17 am

KBMW out of Wahpeton with Gary Rogers and KQLX out of Lisbon with Bruce Dougherty are my two favorite.  I grew up listening to both and I think they each do an excellent job.  They get excited about the game and reamain unbiased throughout.
"In life, as in a football game, the principle to follow is: Hit the line hard!"

Theodore Roosevelt
crete00
NDPreps Reserve

Postby brmballer7 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:43 pm

okay thanks, that's what i thought.
The path to success is through failure...other peoples failure, not you're own. That wouldn't be a very good path.--Will Ferrell
brmballer7
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Beighly from KZZY in DL is far and away the best sports broadcaster in this state.  It doesn't matter who is playing, he unbiasedly calls the game as he sees it and can make any game exciting.  Dan Keating from KMAV in Mayville is pretty good, too.  The guy from Harvey isn't bad either.  He's a nice guy to talk to before the game, but I haven't heard many of his games.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NBE2007 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:12 pm

I like listening to Jay Cooland (I think thats his name) on KYTZ 106.7...I think he's from Langdon..not sure
NBE2007

Postby region 2 opinion » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:18 pm

NBE2007 wrote:I like listening to Jay Cooland (I think thats his name) on KYTZ 106.7...I think he's from Langdon..not sure

I agree!! I think it is Jake Koulland from Langdon but he does do a great job, every sport all year long.
region 2 opinion
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys