2/5/07 poll

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baller01 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:57 pm

ndfbfan wrote:
baller01 wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
ndfbfan wrote:Actually, you don't have to play other teams in your region. However, because of the close proximity of most of the teams, it is feasible. And I know I might get blasted for this statement, but as a player, I may have been a bit insulted to have the JV come play. I know as a coach, I would feel that way. But that is just a personal opinion and I know some may feel totally different.

Good point, someone had the balls to say it. I would feel the same way.

Ya, you are right. I suppose its more insulting to beat a JV team then to lose to a varsity team by 50 points.

I guess as a coach I look at it this way. If your players can do the things right, you always have a chance. But if its the JV, you don't get that opportunity. Sure, it may be a 50 point blowout, but the "chance" gets taken away. There are so many things that could happen on any given night, and I guess as a coach, I'd like my players to at least get the opportunity to play the "big boys" Hey, back in 93 Hettinger was ranked top 5 in the state. They had 6'7,6'8,6'4,6'2,6'2 starters and played a Rhame team I believe it was whose tallest guy was 5'11. Rhame only lost by 2!!! Of course the score was 4-2, but hey!!!!!!!

You don't get a chance to win against another teams JV team? Sure you can't beat the varsity but its still a varsity win for the other team. About that 4-2 game, I don't think it was Rhame. I don't know for a fact but I will find out for you. I just don't think it was Rhame.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfbfan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:00 pm

You may be right. After sitting here and thinking about it, I believe it may have been Reeder. And yes, you get a chance to win against the JV, but that is not what I was getting at.
ndfbfan

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:03 pm

I think PR sitting at 15-1 needs a little more respect.  I dont know why they dropped from being ranked 10th to being tied.  I think they should be a little higher, maybe the strength of schedule has something to do with it but i don't know.  I want to see how PR does come tournament time, they could be scary.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby pacod » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:54 am

Thats what I don't get is how a 14-3 team can be tied with a 15-1 team.
pacod

Postby pacod » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:17 am

What kind of smart person would send their JV to play a varsity game?
pacod

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:53 am

pacod wrote:What kind of smart person would send their JV to play a varsity game?

Last year he sent his JV to play a disrict game to purposely get a lower seed so they wold end up play Wishek instead of Napoleon becuase he knew that would be an easier win.  and this year he did it since they are already the 1 seed unless they lose which i dont see happening so he could schedule a better team like bealuh
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby zags_22 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:06 am

baller01 wrote:
ndfbfan wrote:
baller01 wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
ndfbfan wrote:Actually, you don't have to play other teams in your region. However, because of the close proximity of most of the teams, it is feasible. And I know I might get blasted for this statement, but as a player, I may have been a bit insulted to have the JV come play. I know as a coach, I would feel that way. But that is just a personal opinion and I know some may feel totally different.

Good point, someone had the balls to say it. I would feel the same way.

Ya, you are right. I suppose its more insulting to beat a JV team then to lose to a varsity team by 50 points.

I guess as a coach I look at it this way. If your players can do the things right, you always have a chance. But if its the JV, you don't get that opportunity. Sure, it may be a 50 point blowout, but the "chance" gets taken away. There are so many things that could happen on any given night, and I guess as a coach, I'd like my players to at least get the opportunity to play the "big boys" Hey, back in 93 Hettinger was ranked top 5 in the state. They had 6'7,6'8,6'4,6'2,6'2 starters and played a Rhame team I believe it was whose tallest guy was 5'11. Rhame only lost by 2!!! Of course the score was 4-2, but hey!!!!!!!

You don't get a chance to win against another teams JV team? Sure you can't beat the varsity but its still a varsity win for the other team. About that 4-2 game, I don't think it was Rhame. I don't know for a fact but I will find out for you. I just don't think it was Rhame.

It was actually Regent that Hettinger played.  Regent held the ball all game and ended up losing when a potential game winning 3 point shot rimmed out
zags_22
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:14 am

pacod wrote:What kind of smart person would send their JV to play a varsity game?

Dan Carr, pretty smart man if you ask me.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbjay » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:20 am

A lot of varsity teams play JV schedules for different reasons....for instance, Sawyer is playing a JV schedule with a varsity team as well.  I think it's up to the coach to determine which team (V or JV) they want to send to play them.  I know Bottineau, Towner and Rugby played their JV against them and it counted towards the varsity's district standing.  Some teams like Dunseith and Westhope played their varsity against Sawyers.  Either way, the game counted towards districts right or wrong.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pacod » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:39 am

bbjay wrote:A lot of varsity teams play JV schedules for different reasons....for instance, Sawyer is playing a JV schedule with a varsity team as well.  I think it's up to the coach to determine which team (V or JV) they want to send to play them.  I know Bottineau, Towner and Rugby played their JV against them and it counted towards the varsity's district standing.  Some teams like Dunseith and Westhope played their varsity against Sawyers.  Either way, the game counted towards districts right or wrong.

Well if your going to send some boys to do a mans job, and the job doesn't get taken care of, don't complain about it.
pacod

Postby bbjay » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:38 am

I was just stating facts, not complaining.....fact of the matter is, Sawyer has only had a varsity program for 2 years and playing other varsity teams does no one any good.  Just stating facts, don't get worked up about it.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby pacod » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:44 am

bbjay wrote:I was just stating facts, not complaining.....fact of the matter is, Sawyer has only had a varsity program for 2 years and playing other varsity teams does no one any good.  Just stating facts, don't get worked up about it.

No ones getting worked up. It's just that people are complaining about teams having losses on their record when they send their JV out. Honestly, who's fault is that? Hire a better athletic director.
pacod

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:57 am

sodadrinker wrote:
SCC wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:i know luke lorenz is good but i dont understand how mpcg is even recieving any votes, they lost to larimore

They've played real well since that loss.  Hey, there's a lot of good teams in district 3...they just beat each other, so the records are a bit deceiving.

well if larimore lost to the number 7 team in district 7 and that doesnt impress me to much

it makes about as much sense as duke still being ranked in the top 25 after losing to florida state at home and having 6 losses already.  i wish they didn't even have these polls since they have no effect on the season whatsoever.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:19 am

pacod wrote:
bbjay wrote:I was just stating facts, not complaining.....fact of the matter is, Sawyer has only had a varsity program for 2 years and playing other varsity teams does no one any good.  Just stating facts, don't get worked up about it.

No ones getting worked up. It's just that people are complaining about teams having losses on their record when they send their JV out. Honestly, who's fault is that? Hire a better athletic director.

No one is complaining about a loss on their record. The loss doesn't affect Linton at all. The lost one district game but they still won the district, it didn't affect them at all. I was just stating that Linton was 14-2 and not 14-3. Don't act like this is the Linton AD's fault. I was talking to Coach Olson from Beulah and he said in 1989 he had his team do the exact same thing. There JV team played a district game for them and ended up losing. Beulah finished the regular season 18-1 and because of theire JV team losing that district game they were the #4 seed in districts.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballprsn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:04 am

okay lets try to concentrate on the poll, not who's playing JV or V.  So do you think every team in the poll is ranked where they deserve to be?
Last edited by bballprsn on Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bballprsn
NDPreps Starter

Postby pacod » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:05 am

HAHA
pacod

Postby baseball » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:15 am

o here we go.....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballprsn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:28 am

haha okay...so lets not start this huge discussion about how FW deserves to be ranked higher just because another team has more losses, thats not what i mean on this.  Okay ill pick a team, how about Hankinson, they sure have worked their way up the poll to #2, and now play #1 Lisbon on Thursday.  What's everyones take on this?
bballprsn
NDPreps Starter

Postby philshometown » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:59 pm

After Thursday's game we will all be geniuses regarding the #1 and #2 positions in this week's poll!
In basketball -- as in life -- true joy comes from being fully present in each and every moment, not just when things are going your way.

PHIL JACKSON, Sacred Hoops
philshometown
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballprsn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:20 pm

I think this game could be a preview of what to see in the district 1 championship game and also the region 1 championship game.  Lisbon has great defense and a lot of speed, while Hankinson has many talented players and a dominate offense, from what i have heard and seen.  Hankinson has worked themselves up from just recieving votes to being #2 in a matter of weeks.  These are two very talented teams and it should be a very hard fought battle.  I'm looking foward to watching Jaime Mauch and Logan Carlblom matchup.
bballprsn
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:34 pm

SCC wrote:1 Lisbon (9) 14-0 99 1
2 Hankinson 15-0 76 4
3 Hazen (1) 13-1 73 3
4 Minnewaukan-Leeds 14-1 63 5
5 Beulah 13-2 49 7
6 Killdeer 13-2 48 2
7 Watford City 13-1 45 6
8 Four Winds 15-1 28 10
9 Dickinson Trinity 12-2 27 9
10 Linton 14-3 9 8
TIE Park River 15-1 9 10
TIE Steele-Dawson 13-1 9 10

[align=justify]Others Receiving Votes:  May-Port CG (11-4), Kindred (11-4), Standing Rock (11-3), Grafton (13-3), Westhope-Newburg (11-2).[/align]

So with Killdeer winning pretty easily, Linton thumping Standing rock, and Dickinson Trinity blowing away Beulah, how does this affect the polls for next week? Either Lisbon or Hankinson is going to lose yet this week. Anyone else got some scores from ranked teams?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballprsn » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:20 pm

Hankinson 60 Wyndmere 41

Dickinson Trinity 52 Beulah 32

Linton 82 Standing Rock 65

Steele-Dawson 79 Sheridan Co. 56

Does anyone have the score for the Lisbon game, the chanel i was listening to only gave me those

Last edited by bballprsn on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bballprsn
NDPreps Starter

Postby berry186 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:28 pm

bballprsn wrote:Hankinson 60 Wyndmere 41

Dickinson Trinity 52 Beulah 32

Linton 82 Standing Rock 65

Steele-Dawson 79 Sheridan Co. 56

Does anyone have the score for the Lisbon game, the chanel i was listening to only gave me those
lisbon won 47-39 something to that

berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:49 am

baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:1 Lisbon (9) 14-0 99 1
2 Hankinson 15-0 76 4
3 Hazen (1) 13-1 73 3
4 Minnewaukan-Leeds 14-1 63 5
5 Beulah 13-2 49 7
6 Killdeer 13-2 48 2
7 Watford City 13-1 45 6
8 Four Winds 15-1 28 10
9 Dickinson Trinity 12-2 27 9
10 Linton 14-3 9 8
TIE Park River 15-1 9 10
TIE Steele-Dawson 13-1 9 10

[align=justify]Others Receiving Votes:  May-Port CG (11-4), Kindred (11-4), Standing Rock (11-3), Grafton (13-3), Westhope-Newburg (11-2).[/align]

So with Killdeer winning pretty easily, Linton thumping Standing rock, and Dickinson Trinity blowing away Beulah, how does this affect the polls for next week? Either Lisbon or Hankinson is going to lose yet this week. Anyone else got some scores from ranked teams?
The loser of the Lisbon/Hankinson game will likely drop to 4th or 5th and with Beulah losing by such a large margin they'll probably drop to tenth or lower assuming no one else gets upset this week.  trinity should move up to top 5 after blowing out a top 5 team from the 9 spot.  If hazen keeps on track they'll probably be 2.  L-M could move up to 3.  Who knows im sure none of these predictions will be right the way the poll has been this year
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Is Westhope-Newburg the top team in Region 6?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys