Who are the best referees?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby cardinal10 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:29 am

Remember, one of the rules of this site is no putdowns and humiliation, but are there any refs that stand out as being really good?  If this gets bad--moderators can pull it.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:45 am

I will give the warning right now, first post i read on this ripping on an official and this topics done.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby 3s & Dunks » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:59 am

cardinal10 wrote:Remember, one of the rules of this site is no putdowns and humiliation, but are there any refs that stand out as being really good?  If this gets bad--moderators can pull it.

Refs that work together, understanding where each are & doing it in tandem, are the ones that are good.  CONSISTANT!!!!!! All the time so the players know what to expect and what they can and cant do so there is a flow to the game.  Not one second they call touch falls and then the next time down the court IF THERE IS NO BLOOD NO FOUL is called.  Some I see doing this Well are like Russ Schmeichel {sp}& Mark Ukestad of Jamestown, and Depending who he is with Ross Argent also of Jamestown.  I dont like the 3 man crew in H.S. they tend to get lazy and most of the kids are not used to so it also throws them off as to what is and what is not called.Most kids adapt to how the game is called if it starts out the same and is the same throughout the game.
3s & Dunks
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cardinal10 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:57 am

Good point on the consistency 3 amp;dunks--and good positive post.  I always thought Jeff Risk out of Minot is real good and the game is under control.  We see Dave Agnes/Al Dosch out of Botno alot and they seem to work well together.  The 3 man crews are getting better as they get more practice.
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby vballfan06 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:22 am

Dave Wenger out of williston. I'd have to say, he's one of the few officials that I've seen that consistently makes tough calls in tough situations.  The other night in the Williston/Dickinson boys' game, he called a travel on a williston kid right at the end, dickinson wins 80-79.  The kid definitely took 3 steps and he blew the whistle.  Alot of officials bail at that point because it's a close game. Of course, the williston fans were none-to-happy, but you have to respect a guy that does the right thing in situations like that.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Bill Galloway from Park River is probably one of the best referees in the state.  He refs at state for boys or girls every year and deservingly so.  He is friends with about every coach and never is inconsistent in his calls.  As a player when I saw he was going to be reffing one of my games I knew the game was going to be as fair as could be.  Every ref is human so when they make mistakes they tend to get blown up.  I think the main problem with referees is what games they get assigned to.  For instance, last year there was two relatively new refs doing a North Border/Cavalier game both times in the regular season.  Some of the calls they made were questionable but when you have new referees doing a big rivalry game where every fan watches every move theres going to be people mad at the end if their team didn't win.  I think each ref deserves a chance to do tough games but they shouldn't put all the new refs together.  They need someone like galloway there to calm them down and make tough calls.  When new referees make judgement calls such as block/chage plays they will get booed no matter how obvious the call is.  When someone like galloway who has experience makes it, theres still people sore about it but the majority of the fans know that he is a great referee and made the call to the best of his ability.  If a ref is on the floor for a HS game they are out there for a reason, they have been approved by the NDHSAA so I think people need to give them a chance more and just let what happens on the court stay on the court.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bbjay » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:50 am

Funny how this topic isn't exactly smokin'...
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bballfan_05 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:40 am

My guess is because alot of people could just rip alot of refs. As long as the calls are consistent, any group of refs are decent. Then, you at least know what to expect from both a player, fan, and coach perspective.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND_Coach » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:30 am

Rory Entzi and Tyler Hanson out of Edgeley.  You can talk to them and they will give you explainations for their judgements.  If they make a mistake, which will happen they are big enough to admit they screwed up.  They also do a great job with positioning, working together, and managing a game.
ND_Coach
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:25 pm

Todd Tschosik
Scott McPherson
Mike Pickett
Keith Kost
Carl Buechler
Darrin Johnson

Are 6 good refs out of Bismarck.
Last edited by baller01 on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 pm

SCC wrote:I think when tournament time comes around, we should stick with two person crews.

I agree one hundred percent.....
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby fruit snack » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:00 am

Dean Klier out of harvey...hes flawless
fruit snack

Postby twinsfan34 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:01 am

baller01 wrote:Todd Tschosik
Scott McPherson
Mike Pickett
Keith Kost
Carl Buechler
Darrin Johnson

I've seen all of them work except for Pickett, so I can't speak about him.  As for the other five, yes they are all excellent officials.   Another Bismarck official not listed that I think is very good is Paul Jundt.
twinsfan34

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:16 am

twinsfan34 wrote:
baller01 wrote:Todd Tschosik
Scott McPherson
Mike Pickett
Keith Kost
Carl Buechler
Darrin Johnson

I've seen all of them work except for Pickett, so I can't speak about him.  As for the other five, yes they are all excellent officials.   Another Bismarck official not listed that I think is very good is Paul Jundt.

Ya, you could say Jundt. I don't think he is better then those 6 but I guess he could still be up there.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:59 am

The Schwab wrote:
SCC wrote:I think when tournament time comes around, we should stick with two person crews.

I agree one hundred percent.....

I am sure they are going to go to a three man crew.  But people are going to whine either way.  A good two man crew will out do a mediocre three man crew anyday.  The best ref that I remember in my playing days was Mark Riggs from DL.  I think he is doing CBA or something now!
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:02 am

How does the region go about selecting refs, are they a voted on by the coaches?  How about refs in the State Tourney, do they have to apply or something like that?
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby twinsfan34 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:34 am

Indians Alumni wrote:How does the region go about selecting refs, are they a voted on by the coaches?  How about refs in the State Tourney, do they have to apply or something like that?

I believe the NDHSAA contracts them for both regionals and state. 
twinsfan34

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:15 am

The Mertens boys are ok, the call a fair game. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:34 am

Indians Alumni wrote:How does the region go about selecting refs, are they a voted on by the coaches?  How about refs in the State Tourney, do they have to apply or something like that?

I can't speak for all of the regions but I know some have their coaches nominate officials they would like to see do post season tourneys.  I believe those nominations are taken by the district and/or region chairperson and they send out invites to those officials to come and do the tourneys.   Some officials will turn down girls tourneys in order to do boys tourneys and it seems sometimes the girls tournaments have the "second level" referees. 

As far as the 3 man crew vs 2 man crew is concerned in the tournaments, I think if officials have experience working in a three man crew throughout the year, they will do a good job come tournament time.  I know some officials who do not work a 2man crew at all during the course of the year, who all of a sudden come regionals will work in a 3 man crew, and not be very comfortable.  I think boys games a GOOD EXPERIENCED three man crew is almost necessary, with the size, speed and physicality of some boy's games are now.  I think a good 2 man crew can still do a good job, but we're seeing less and less of those quality of refs. 

ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:41 am

ndsportsfan98 wrote:

I can't speak for all of the regions but I know some have their coaches nominate officials they would like to see do post season tourneys.  I believe those nominations are taken by the district and/or region chairperson and they send out invites to those officials to come and do the tourneys.   Some officials will turn down girls tourneys in order to do boys tourneys and it seems sometimes the girls tournaments have the "second level" referees. 

As far as the 3 man crew vs 2 man crew is concerned in the tournaments, I think if officials have experience working in a three man crew throughout the year, they will do a good job come tournament time.  I know some officials who do not work a 2man crew at all during the course of the year, who all of a sudden come regionals will work in a 3 man crew, and not be very comfortable.  I think boys games a GOOD EXPERIENCED three man crew is almost necessary, with the size, speed and physicality of some boy's games are now.  I think a good 2 man crew can still do a good job, but we're seeing less and less of those quality of refs. 

So the coaches do have a say in who they want as the refs?  That is cool, I mean it would be a consenses then.

I agree that a 3 man crew is necessary, but a good two man crew is just as good.  As long as they are in the possition to make the call.  I have seen some refs make calls behind a player and assuming what happened in front, gets frustrating. 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys