Austin Dufault

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baller01 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:22 pm

[font=Arial]Dufault, Cowboys riding high
[/font][font=Arial]By MICHAELWEBER
Bismarck Tribune
[/font]
[font=Arial]In North Dakota boys basketball, the 6-foot-7 kids normally take up residence in the post.

At Killdeer, coach Rich Dufault likes to have his 6-foot-7 son, Austin, roam the perimeter.

And for good reason.

"Austin's the best perimeter shooter on the team," coach Dufault said. "Normally, you would use a player with that size on the inside, but we have capable post players and Austin's been a big help to us on the outside. As long as he's helping us out there, that's where we'll play him."

The younger Dufault's numbers back the coach's claim. As a sophomore last season, he connected on 47 of 109 3-point shots (43 percent), while averaging 14.6 points per game. This season, he's netted 28 of 66 shots from 3-point land - a 44 percent accuracy.

Dufault has shown that he can rack up points on a variety of shots, but to him there's nothing quite like sinking one from beyond the arc.

"It's the kind of shot that gets everybody fired up when you make it," Dufault said. "I started shooting threes way back when I was in grade school. ... I liked it because I thought it was pretty cool and I just kept working on it every year. It's a shot that can make a big difference in a game. You shoot well from out there and you're really going to help your team."

Dufault has been a big help to the Cowboys this season. He's averaging 21 points, eight rebounds and two steals per game while shooting 58 percent from the floor and 80 percent from the free-throw line.

Dufault's ballhandling and passing skills also make him a valuable commodity. He's an effective press-breaker, and he has 60 assists.

His contributions have helped the Cowboys to a 13-1 overall record and a No. 2 ranking in the Class B poll behind Lisbon.

"Austin's stepped up every part of his game and that's the result of all the hard work he put in during the offseason," said coach Dufault, who has won 153 games at Killdeer. "He knew that if he made himself better, the team would be better."

Dufault's all-around abilities have allowed coach Dufault to use him anywhere on the court. The same can be said of senior guard Jacob Wheeling, who is in his fourth year as a starter. Wheeling's numbers mirror Dufault's. Almost. He's averaging 22 points, is shooting 53 percent from the floor and 78 percent from the charity stripe and like Dufault, has 60 assists.

Dufault and Wheeling have been 1-2 punching opponents all season. They've scored in double figures in each of Killdeer's 14 games. They've combined for 19 20-point games and only once have they been more than eight points apart.

"They've become quite a tandem," coach Dufault said. "What's impressive is they've drawn a lot of the defensive pressure and yet, they've produced big numbers night after night. Again, that's the result of hard work."

Wheeling, who went over the 1,500 mark in career points last week, played point guard last season and averaged 20 points and five assists despite knee problems.

Wheeling is healthy this season and the emergence of junior point guard Michael Wagner - who leads the team with 90 assists - is giving him more opportunities to shoot the ball.

"Mike stepped in late last year and did a nice job for us," coach Dufault said. "That's made a difference because Jacob no longer has to be concerned about setting up the offense and getting the ball into the hands of the scorers. Now he's free to do more offensively and he's making the most of it."

Taking care of business inside are posts Allias Fredericks and Zach Gaugler. Fredericks is averaging seven points and four rebounds, while Gaugler, a 6-foot-3, 220-pounder, is collecting an average of 5.5 rebounds.

"Neither one of our posts played a lot of varsity last year, but they're coming along really well scoring, rebounding and playing defense," Dufault said. "Everybody on this team knows his role and if we all continue to improve, we think we're going to be tough to beat at tournament time. We're in a tough district and region and it'll all come down to team effort."

The Cowboys are 1-1 in District 14, which also includes No. 3 Hazen, No. 7 Beulah, No. 9 Dickinson Trinity and Richardton-Taylor. Hazen, Beulah and Trinity all are 2-1 and Richardton-Taylor is 1-1. Each of the five teams has at least 10 wins overall and are a combined 57-9. They've beaten each other seven times.

Killdeer is bracing itself for three district games in eight days, beginning tonight at Beulah. The Cowboys host Richardton-Taylor next Tuesday and Trinity next Thursday.

All of the games are important for district tournament seedings, but coach Dufault said seeding probably won't matter this time.

"I think there are five teams capable of winning the tournament," he said. "It's so close, so even ... I don't think it will matter much where you're seeded because every draw will be a tough one. The sad thing is one, maybe two of those teams won't make it to the regional.

"But it would still be good to win those games because of what it would do for our confidence," he continued. "The main thing is finding out where we're at and what we need to do to better prepare ourselves for the postseason."

The Cowboys, whose only loss was to Hazen - 75-62 on Jan. 9, met Richardton-Taylor and Trinity in non-district action at the Roughrider Tournament in December. They defeated Richardton-Taylor 68-59 and Trinity 51-42.

"Beating those teams at the Roughrider was great, but we've got some tough games ahead of us. ... Everybody will be ready to give it their all," Dufault said. "It'll be fun, though. Those are the games you look forward to playing."

What is everyones take on him? He is definately one of the top players in the state IMO. How many 6'7" kids can shoot the ball like that. Is Dufault-Wheeling the best 1-2 combo in the state?[/font]
Last edited by baller01 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby letsgosox » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:42 pm

well is there any other tandem that averages 22 and 21 a game?
letsgosox

Postby blaze88 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:59 pm

Parshall has 3 over 20 per game :

Nathaniel Packineau 22.8 ppg

Neil Packineau 20 ppg

Rudy Youngbird 20 ppg
blaze88

Postby sportsperson » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:28 pm

Granted that Neil has only been back for a couple games.  The longer he's around the more Nathaniel and Rudy's averages are gonna drop.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ping Pong » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:04 am

Austin Dufault is obviously a good player. he puts up alot of points in good fashin, but I would like to see him play down low at the post where he should be. Playing the shooting guard might work in HS bball, but if he wants to play in college, that is not going to work.
Ping Pong

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:28 am

well actually if he wanted to play college basketball and was 6'7 with range, i'm willing to bet they'd keep him out there because it would be extremely easy for him to get his shot off over shorter defenders.  Then if they had to bring one of their big guys out of the post to guard him it would cause all sorts of problems.  i agree he should go down low some and score because that would probably be higher then a 44 percent chance of him scoring on a 6'3 or so player down there then steppin out for three.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby feeshattack » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:40 am

dufualt is not quick enough to play gaurd in college
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 am

from the sound of it (i've never seen him play) i think he would be a good swing man, and he's pretty young still, he could improve on his strength and quickness.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cdub1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:50 am

feeshattack wrote:dufualt is not quick enough to play gaurd in college

he has another year to get quicker and he already has the j

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:23 pm

yeah i think you were a little quick to jump on him for not being quick in to play guard in college.  I dont know of too many high school junior that are.  most players make their biggest change in their physical attributes between their junior and senior season.  next year we'll see where he is and im sure he'd be a great SF in college with that range.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby letsgosox » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:26 pm

feeshattack wrote:dufualt is not quick enough to play gaurd in college
 there is no better player in the state at catching and shooting the ball than Dufault. He is not going to play gaurd in college, he is most likely going to play the 3 spot. A 6'7" guy, with range and that can play in the post. There would be no point in having a player like him at a gaurd position.
letsgosox

Postby sportsguy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:38 am

Austin Dufault will be a great college player that will only continue to get better.  In college he will probably be a 3 and I believe after another summer of AAU and year of high school he will show he can guard at that position.  I like the fact that he can play the perimeter with his offensive abilties - being able to shoot, pass, handle the rock all of that.  The knock is that he doesn't post for his size.  In my opinion he does need to improve in this area.  If he can get a respectable post game to go along with what he has on the perimeter he will be extremely tough to handle.  A couple reasons I think he isn't as comfortable down there is one being the fact he grew so much at the end of last year it is somewhat new to him.  Remember he wasn't 6-7 / 6-8 until less than a year ago.  The other being that he needs to continue to get stronger.  If he can add muscle to his frame so he can handle the physical play inside and add a jump hook or something he is gonna be a great player. 
sportsguy

Postby beavof77 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:40 am

I've seen the kid play a few times and I must say the kid can straight up play. Alot of people seem quick to make comments about how he doesn't play inside or he's not quick enough, all that comes with age and experience. You can't expect a 16 or 17 year old kid to have all the ablitly that juniors in college are going to have. I won't be suprised to see him at school like UND. He's got a bright future ahead of him as long as he continues to want to improve his game.
Last edited by beavof77 on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
beavof77
NDPreps Reserve

Postby letsgosox » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:46 am

Without Jacob Wheeling next year, Austin will really shine. I won't be surprised if he would average any where from 27-30 points a game. That will get him alot of attention from bigger school, even some D-1 schools. I would not be all that shocked if he ended up going division 1. He's got the size and versatility.
letsgosox

Postby ndsubisonfan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:50 am

letsgosox wrote:Without Jacob Wheeling next year, Austin will really shine. I won't be surprised if he would average any where from 27-30 points a game. That will get him alot of attention from bigger school, even some D-1 schools. I would not be all that shocked if he ended up going division 1. He's got the size and versatility.

D-1? You wanna think that one over.
ndsubisonfan

Postby letsgosox » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 am

ummm......................................nope
letsgosox

Postby baller01 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:16 am

ndsubisonfan wrote:
letsgosox wrote:Without Jacob Wheeling next year, Austin will really shine. I won't be surprised if he would average any where from 27-30 points a game. That will get him alot of attention from bigger school, even some D-1 schools. I would not be all that shocked if he ended up going division 1. He's got the size and versatility.

I actually know for a fact that some lower D-1 schools have been interested in him. I'm not saying D-1s like Duke, Kansas, Texas, schools like that. I'm saying the lower D-1s.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndsubisonfan » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:06 pm

gotcha
ndsubisonfan

Postby cdub1 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:20 pm

ndsubisonfan wrote:gotcha

u got him?

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ghetto*revival » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:30 am

ive played with austin at und camp a couple years back and even then he was amazing to all of u who dont think hel go big wait till next year ul see
ghetto*revival

Postby carolina blue » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:41 am

IMO, i used to play against him and i have seen him play this year and without wheeling, dufault is gonna struggle next year. teams are gonna be chasing him all season with double teams and possibly triple teams and his other teammates are gonna have to show up which i dont think is gonna happen.
What's Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff? - Paris Hilton
carolina blue
NDPreps Starter

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:50 am

that's the same thing people said about jonathon lindahl when he was a senior and he did pretty well.  won the region player of the year for his region which dufalt will win.  If dufalt adds muscle no one is going to be able to handle him inside or outside and if he has a big year he could represent class B for mr. basketball
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bearsfan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:27 am

He is a good player but with someone in his space.... turns average and keeps going further away from the basket.  His average isn't very good from 22 - 25 feet!!!  If he gets into a program this summer that sets him down inside then I will agree that he will be the mr basketball canidate.  But he will need to be that "down inside" player for Killdeer to be succesful.  But I will say that he will be a good #3 in college.
Bearsfan

Postby Ping Pong » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:22 pm

ndsubisonfan wrote:

haha ya right. 6'7'' 180 is not D-1 material. come on. he is good at catching and shooting but he cannot post up. have you seen him play? he doesnt post up in HS how is he gunna post in college? hes a good shooter, not D-1
Ping Pong

Postby baller01 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:58 am

Ping Pong wrote:
ndsubisonfan wrote:

haha ya right. 6'7'' 180 is not D-1 material. come on. he is good at catching and shooting but he cannot post up. have you seen him play? he doesnt post up in HS how is he gunna post in college? hes a good shooter, not D-1

All I gotta say is it is easier to put on weight then it is to grow. The guy is young for being a junior. Let him fill out more and hit the weights. You can add weight but you can't just grow.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys