Top coaches in the state

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby thundastruck. » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:55 pm

bballfan_05 wrote:
SCC wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
rep wrote:
baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:I'm going to have to say Dave Nelson is the best coach in the state. Not only does he win a lot of game, he wins the big ones. How many state championships has he won?

I thought 4? 1996 and 1997 MPCG won back-2-back as in 2002 and 2003. Unless he wasn't coaching in 1996 and 1997 like I thought he was. He has also been there quite a few times.

del ray kessler was coaching the teams in the mid to late 90s
The 1996-1997 teams were unreal if memory serves me correctly. They were all like 6'5" or taller for the starting 5, basically unheard of in ND high school basketball let alone Class B.

http://www.prairiepublic.org/features/classB/best.htm
Interesting little article about those teams on that site.

lorenz wouldnt even be the 8th man on the 1996-1997 teams

dave nelson is legendary
thundastruck.

Postby fruit snack » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:08 pm

Indians Alumni wrote:My vote is still with Coach Rick Smith, Four Winds.  He has built a solid program yet again this year.  Four Winds wasn't given a snowballs chance this year and yet he has put together another winning team.  I would like to see back-to-back coach of the year awards given to Mr Smith!

the snowball will melt when it comes to the regions
fruit snack

Postby sodadrinker » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:01 am

Indians Alumni wrote:My vote is still with Coach Rick Smith, Four Winds.  He has built a solid program yet again this year.  Four Winds wasn't given a snowballs chance this year and yet he has put together another winning team.  I would like to see back-to-back coach of the year awards given to Mr Smith!

rick smith cant get all the credit for 4 winds play this year.  the people who do that seeding at the beginning of the year dont pay attention to how good jv players were and for everyone who has played against this years class or seen them play, everyone knew they would be tough.  he is a good coach and uses his players strong points just as good as anyone but he didnt make them players good. they have always been good.
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby xcolt90 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:53 pm

There are a lot of coaches out there that do a terrific job but just don't have access to the players to get the job done.  Who are some of the coaches that people think get the most out of the least every year?  Lets be clear about this.  They might not be the coaches winning the district title or a regional title but they take a rag-tag group of players and turn them into a respectable team every year.  I'm sure most people have a coach in mind as they read this.

My votes go to Scott Jung in Center and Adam Hill in Hettinger!
xcolt90

Postby project-pat » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:26 pm

hahahahahahahaha ADAM HILL!! Wow you are quite the jokester.
project-pat

Postby xcolt90 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:49 pm

Adam Hill led a Wilton program to the state tournament that had 5 wins in the previous 3 years before he took it over.  If I'm not mistaking he took over a Hettinger Black Devil club that had been led by a coach that subbed 5 guys at a time much like a Hockey team does.

In the last two years in Hettinger they won 29 games in no doubt the toughest region in the state.  This year Hettinger has given 5 new starters to work with and should have had wins against Mott-Regent and Bowman holding leads in the 4th quarter of both games.  They lost to Trinity by 5 points earlier in the season.  I didn't say they were the worlds best coaches but look at how they get quite a bit out of their teams with not nearly the talent that the other towns in their regions have.  He didn't even have a serviceable post on his team for the 2 years in which they won 29 games.

When he was in Wilton he took a program in shambles and made them one of the toughest in the area.  Give him time to prepare and he can put a good product on the floor.  In fact, if I remember right he took Hettingers team into the district championship game last year, without Jeff Smith and Hettinger was ahead at halftime.  Exactly what I'm talking about!
xcolt90

Postby project-pat » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:55 pm

xcolt90 wrote:  In fact, if I remember right he took Hettingers team into the district championship game last year, without Jeff Smith and Hettinger was ahead at halftime.  Exactly what I'm talking about!

A good coach wins the game, they don't just lead at half.
project-pat

Postby xcolt90 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:58 pm

That must be why Bowman has been to so many state tournaments in Boy's Basketball!  At least Coach Hill can say he's done that as a player and a coach!
xcolt90

Postby project-pat » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:02 pm

haha, yeah i dont think i said one word about bowman on this topic so yeah...
project-pat

Postby xcolt90 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:16 pm

No you didn't but your from Bowman and were being negative about a person that is well respected throughout the state for the job he does.  I started the topic going this way to give some of the coaches that work hard and don't win the state championships to get some credit also.  Coach Hill was my coach and I know what kind of job he does. 

Coach Zinker would also be a name to throw out there, what he did in Bowman and at PBK speak for themselves and he didn't get a team to state!  Sometimes we make too much of getting to that state tournament.  Some regions have as many as 18 teams vying for one spot at the state tournament.  There are a lot of good coaches that just don't get their teams over the top, and maybe that's cause they don't have the talent in their program to do so.  Shawn Larson in Washburn is another good example.  Look what he did at Leeds going to a number of state tournaments and winning one, at Washburn the best they could muster was 2nd in the region one year.  Was he any less of a coach at Washburn.....hardly!

That is what makes Grinsteiner's job this year even more special.....they weren't supposed to be beating Hazen and Beulah but he has them doing that again.
xcolt90

Postby the mask » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:19 pm

pacod wrote:I'm going to throw a name out that not to many people have heard. Chip Anderson, he's not coaching now, but he's a great coach. He's hasn't coached to much, and i don't see why. I believe he had a pretty good record in 02' 03' season (not to sure) at Barnes County. He took a team with little talent and won districts, and placed third in regionals. He came to FW 04' 05' and really taught the boys fundamentals of basketball. I truely believe that he had a big part in the reason FW went to state the following year.
yes i will agree with pacod here i know of that coach my cousin played for him when he coached bcn and lemme tell ya he turned that team around alot and they went from suckin to being good not the best but they got good in a hurry!!great coach
you don't have to win championships to be considered a good team
the mask
NDPreps Starter

Postby the mask » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:22 pm

thundastruck. wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
SCC wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
rep wrote:
baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:I'm going to have to say Dave Nelson is the best coach in the state. Not only does he win a lot of game, he wins the big ones. How many state championships has he won?

I thought 4? 1996 and 1997 MPCG won back-2-back as in 2002 and 2003. Unless he wasn't coaching in 1996 and 1997 like I thought he was. He has also been there quite a few times.

The 1996-1997 teams were unreal if memory serves me correctly. They were all like 6'5" or taller for the starting 5, basically unheard of in ND high school basketball let alone Class B.

dave nelson is legendary

yea dave nelson is a good coach and all but they wouldn't have them players if they wouldnt' recruit them and trust me they do recruit...take for example they had james baldwin, they wouldn't have him if it whern't for some family problems, or else he would be in finley-sharon
you don't have to win championships to be considered a good team
the mask
NDPreps Starter

Postby project-pat » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:23 pm

yeah colt, your right. I guess I just let some of the stuff i heard about him bother me, that's all. I'm sure he's a fine coach. and it's zEnker by the way. I'm surprised you brought his name into this, with all the controversy going around him that shouldn't happen. He was probably the best coach i've ever had and he's the one who made me love the game so much. I think that is the true meaning of a good coach.
project-pat

Postby ndfan » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:27 pm

[user=1882]the mask[/user] wrote:
thundastruck. wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
SCC wrote:
bballfan_05 wrote:
rep wrote:
baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:

dave nelson is legendary

yea dave nelson is a good coach and all but they wouldn't have them players if they wouldnt' recruit them and trust me they do recruit...take for example they had james baldwin, they wouldn't have him if it whern't for some family problems, or else he would be in finley-sharon

What does him being there cause of family problems have to do with recruiting?
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:28 pm

Umm....I'm sure they didnt recruit James Baldwin....since he NEVER went to school in Finley....so who do they recruit?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDdominator » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:24 pm

Mike Dwyer from shiloh christian has taken a few teams to state not sure how many but always fields a good team
NDdominator

Postby Indians Alumni » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:39 am

sodadrinker wrote:

rick smith cant get all the credit for 4 winds play this year.  the people who do that seeding at the beginning of the year dont pay attention to how good jv players were and for everyone who has played against this years class or seen them play, everyone knew they would be tough.  he is a good coach and uses his players strong points just as good as anyone but he didnt make them players good. they have always been good.

You gotta be kidding me, He is what FW represents.  He has made that progam what it is.  He has made good kids better!  For that I believe he should be coach of the year again. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thundastruck. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:46 am

The Schwab wrote:Umm....I'm sure they didnt recruit James Baldwin....since he NEVER went to school in Finley....so who do they recruit?

the klabos where from finley too

steve trudeau was recruited
Last edited by thundastruck. on Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
thundastruck.

Postby PA42 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:05 am

None of that has anything to do with dave nelson recruiting players. All of the players mention had ties to mayville. Nelson is one of the top coaches in the state. deal with it.
PA42

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:06 am

yep i am well aware that the Klabo's live near Finley, but I would like some reasons why you feel they were recruited...and i cant wait to hear how trudeau was recriuted...please enlighten me?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundastruck. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:11 am

The Schwab wrote:yep i am well aware that the Klabo's live near Finley, but I would like some reasons why you feel they were recruited...and i cant wait to hear how trudeau was recriuted...please enlighten me?

no you tell me your from mayville
thundastruck.

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:14 am

Actually no i'm not...
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundastruck. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:17 am

The Schwab wrote:Actually no i'm not...

portland
thundastruck.

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:19 am