Top coaches in the state

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby nike07 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:49 am

who are some of the top coaches in the state, and who are some who have taken bad teams and made them contenders
nike07
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:52 am

I would say Rick Smith of Four Winds, he has had a solid coaching career, another would be Carlson from Leeds - Minn, he always has a solid program. 
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nike07 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:54 am

Indians Alumni wrote:I would say Rick Smith of Four Winds, he has had a solid coaching career, another would be Carlson from Leeds - Minn, he always has a solid program. 
rick smith is a great coach, one of the best i have ever seen, he really keeps his team goin and puts them in the best position to win a ball game
nike07
NDPreps Starter

Postby rep » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:00 am

smith is salty, so is carlson and wells county has a bunch of seniors that have payed dues and learned a lot from their coaches.

dan carr is automatically in the coach of the year running in my mind, and olson has done a great job with steele in region 3. in district 5 i give the nod to duke, i didn't think that pbk would be playing near as well as they are this season after they graduated something like 98.7 percent of last season's points and his assistant coach retired...ellendale started strong in the district, be interesting to see where they finish.

lisbon's coach should also be mentioned...done a heckofa job with the team
rep

Postby bballer2 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:59 am

rep wrote:smith is salty, so is carlson and wells county has a bunch of seniors that have payed dues and learned a lot from their coaches.

dan carr is automatically in the coach of the year running in my mind, and olson has done a great job with steele in region 3. in district 5 i give the nod to duke, i didn't think that pbk would be playing near as well as they are this season after they graduated something like 98.7 percent of last season's points and his assistant coach retired...ellendale started strong in the district, be interesting to see where they finish.

CARR!!! all that has to be said... duke... wow hes done a great job... you are right... he has brought around a team that i thought would have no competition in the district or region but i see them being pretty tough around tourney time... they play hard and he has them ready for every game... but bst coach... CARR...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:10 am

Curt Herman from Tolna will be in the hall of fame some day, he is back coaching Dakota Prairie after several years off of coaching.

"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby WildWarrior » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:13 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:Curt Herman from Tolna will be in the hall of fame some day, he is back coaching Dakota Prairie after several years off of coaching.

Nice to see Curt back.  Too bad it is only a one year deal.  Read last week that he is going to be the traveling salesman for Gerrells Sports Center.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller4444 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:58 pm

i would have to say coach leuck....he is a new coach but he has a lot of tricks up his sleve.
baller4444

Postby ndfan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:04 pm

Dave Nelson

I like what Shane Robinson has done at Midway Minto, not up there at the top but I think he is a up and coming coach. He does a great job there.
Last edited by ndfan on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan_05 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:30 pm

bballer2 wrote:
rep wrote:smith is salty, so is carlson and wells county has a bunch of seniors that have payed dues and learned a lot from their coaches.

CARR!!! all that has to be said... duke... wow hes done a great job... you are right... he has brought around a team that i thought would have no competition in the district or region but i see them being pretty tough around tourney time... they play hard and he has them ready for every game... but bst coach... CARR...
Agreed, when a coach has a team ready to compete every year like carr, its just unreal how he does it. Great coach
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby wizard23 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Coach Carlson, HANDS DOWN
wizard23
NDPreps Rookie

Postby sportsguy2 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:57 pm

Carr....look what he's done year in and year out...nuff said
sportsguy2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby letsgosox » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:00 am

Because i'm a region 7 guy, I will throw some very good region 7 coaches out there. Greg Grinsteiner consistantly gets his kids to win. This year his team is arguably not that good, but he still has them in the top 10 in the state and knocking off teams like Hazen. There aren't many coaches that would be able to have that success with that team. Another coach/coaching staff that noone talks about is head coach Rich Dufault and assistant Bob Wheeling from Killdeer. Yes, they are the dads of Jacob Wheeling and Austin Dufault so that automatically tells you that they know something about basketball. When Rich took over after the 2000 season, Killdeer was a nobody and had only made it past the first round of the region tournament once in the 90's. Now the Cowboys are a regular in the semi's in the region tourney and are always considered a contender.
letsgosox

Postby Flyer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:39 am

The two coaches you listed are very good coaches who get everything they can get out of their players..
Flyer

Postby pacod » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:45 am

I'm going to throw a name out that not to many people have heard. Chip Anderson, he's not coaching now, but he's a great coach. He's hasn't coached to much, and i don't see why. I believe he had a pretty good record in 02' 03' season (not to sure) at Barnes County. He took a team with little talent and won districts, and placed third in regionals. He came to FW 04' 05' and really taught the boys fundamentals of basketball. I truely believe that he had a big part in the reason FW went to state the following year.
pacod

Postby lefty » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:42 pm

i like cheese
Last edited by lefty on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lefty
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 pm

I would say the best coach's in the state are Dave Nelson MPCG, Greg Grinstinner Trinity, Dan Carr Linton, and Rick Smith from Four Winds.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mwall30 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:09 pm

cubsfan wrote:I would say the best coach's in the state are Dave Nelson MPCG, Greg Grinstinner Trinity, Dan Carr Linton, and Rick Smith from Four Winds.

No Ron Carlson from Leeds-Minnewaukan?
mwall30
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cubsfan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:54 am

mwall30 wrote:
cubsfan wrote:I would say the best coach's in the state are Dave Nelson MPCG, Greg Grinstinner Trinity, Dan Carr Linton, and Rick Smith from Four Winds.

No Ron Carlson from Leeds-Minnewaukan?

i knew i was forgetting someone.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mdk23 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:29 am

What about Steve Carnal at Oak Grove? From what I know, he has had a solid coaching career and I believe he ranks pretty high on the wins list.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." Michael Jordan
mdk23
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:36 am

I'm going to have to say Dave Nelson is the best coach in the state. Not only does he win a lot of game, he wins the big ones. How many state championships has he won?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:52 am

SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:I'm going to have to say Dave Nelson is the best coach in the state. Not only does he win a lot of game, he wins the big ones. How many state championships has he won?

I thought 4? 1996 and 1997 MPCG won back-2-back as in 2002 and 2003. Unless he wasn't coaching in 1996 and 1997 like I thought he was. He has also been there quite a few times.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rep » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:11 am

baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:
baller01 wrote:I'm going to have to say Dave Nelson is the best coach in the state. Not only does he win a lot of game, he wins the big ones. How many state championships has he won?

I thought 4? 1996 and 1997 MPCG won back-2-back as in 2002 and 2003. Unless he wasn't coaching in 1996 and 1997 like I thought he was. He has also been there quite a few times.

del ray kessler was coaching the teams in the mid to late 90s
rep

Postby bballfan_05 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:14 am

rep wrote:
baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:

The 1996-1997 teams were unreal if memory serves me correctly. They were all like 6'5" or taller for the starting 5, basically unheard of in ND high school basketball let alone Class B.
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby rep » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:27 am

bballfan_05 wrote:
rep wrote:
baller01 wrote:
SCC wrote:

The 1996-1997 teams were unreal if memory serves me correctly. They were all like 6'5" or taller for the starting 5, basically unheard of in ND high school basketball let alone Class B.

guys like tom jacobson (the only person i ever saw shut him down was tayren sundeen), andrew leclair (great player, but i had quick hands and averaged a couple steals a game against him in the few pickup games we played screwing around in the gym...of course, i am legendary in the MPCG pickup game circuit), travis kraft (best player to never win mr. basketball in my mind), andy strand (great scambling qb and fairly heady guard), reggie soholt (good wide receiver, and underrated tough for being a really skinny guy), steve gerzewski (all-dac te and if he wouldn't have gotten hurt his senior season in football there is no doubt in my mind mayville wouldn't have lost to harvey in overtime of the opening round of the playoffs), darren klabo (not aggressive enough for my taste, but very level-headed and had a nice shot), chuck klabo (stud), matt swift (bakkum-esque three-point range).

lotta talent played in those couple of years. it was fun to be a fan at that point and time.
rep

Next

Return to Boys