Top Teams In Class A Division

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Top Teams In Class A Division

Postby Region 1 Fan » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:42 pm

Can anyone compete with Kindred and Devils Lake this year in Class A? On paper, those teams are loaded and will be entertaining to watch. Who will be the final 4 teams playing to get to the Championship in March?
Kindred vs Devils Lake w/Devils Lake winning the Chip is my pick.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Re: Top Teams In Class A Division

Postby bk1990 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:09 pm

Don't overlook Turtle Mountain. They got beat up in the old Class A, but have good numbers and some good players. With a school of 450 students they will be one of the bigger schools, and with the region they are in, how are teams like South Prairie, Nedrose, New Town or even Bottineau going to compete with them? I also think Central Cass will be in the mix, some good returning players and good depth. Not a lot has changed, still going to be pretty predictable who will finish at or near the top.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:35 pm

Region 1
Kindred
Central Cass

Region 2
Devils Lake
Four Winds-Minnewaukan

Region 3
Turtle Mountain

Region 4
Shiloh Christian
Dickinson Trinity
Beulah (maybe Watford City)

Region 4 is deeper than Region 3
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:37 am

bk1990 wrote:Don't overlook Turtle Mountain. They got beat up in the old Class A, but have good numbers and some good players. With a school of 450 students they will be one of the bigger schools, and with the region they are in, how are teams like South Prairie, Nedrose, New Town or even Bottineau going to compete with them? I also think Central Cass will be in the mix, some good returning players and good depth. Not a lot has changed, still going to be pretty predictable who will finish at or near the top.

More like 600 not 450. TM also goes West and will be Power yearly
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:56 am

The tournament performance factor will be calculated after each season.
a. The tournament performance factor will be a three-year cumulative total of no less than six
points per division.
a. Teams that have accumulated at least six tournament performance factor points will be
promoted to the next highest division from the previous year. No team will be moved more
than one division per year. Teams may appeal this move to the classification committee.
b. Teams promoted to the next highest division due to accumulation of tournament performance
points will remain in that division indefinitely unless an appeal is granted by the classification
committee.
c. When a new coop forms, the coop will receive a point total equal to the combined total of all
schools in the coop.
d. Calculating the tournament performance factor:
i. Points will be cumulative for a three-year period. (The inaugural point total will be
calculated beginning with the 2021-22 school year)
ii. The maximum points a team can earn in a given season is four (4) points.
iii. Points will be awarded based on the following system:
1 point for advancing to the state quarterfinal
2 points for advancing to the state semifinal
3 points for advancing to the state championship
4 points for winning a state title

I know basketball is a few months away, but if I am understanding this correctly, the above information is from the NDHSAA site for classification of teams to AA, A or B. Maybe I am wrong, but using Kindred for example, they won it in 2022, that would give them 4 points. If the get to a minimum of the state semi-finals, they get two points for a total of 6 which bump them up to AA for the 2024-25 season?
I thought the reason for the 3 class system was to get more parity and not have schools of 90 students have to compete against schools with 250 and everyone gets a chance to win?
I am fine if the actual enrollment bumps you up, but get bumped up just because you are successful?
I hope I am wrong with how I am interpreting reclassification criteria, if not, after the next two years, I think you will see Devils Lake and Kindred being moved up as I think these two schools will be fighting it out for the A championship as they have a great junior class now and will be contenders the next couple o years.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:29 am

bk1990 wrote:The tournament performance factor will be calculated after each season.
a. The tournament performance factor will be a three-year cumulative total of no less than six
points per division.
a. Teams that have accumulated at least six tournament performance factor points will be
promoted to the next highest division from the previous year. No team will be moved more
than one division per year. Teams may appeal this move to the classification committee.
b. Teams promoted to the next highest division due to accumulation of tournament performance
points will remain in that division indefinitely unless an appeal is granted by the classification
committee.
c. When a new coop forms, the coop will receive a point total equal to the combined total of all
schools in the coop.
i. Points will be cumulative for a three-year period. (The inaugural point total will be

I know basketball is a few months away, but if I am understanding this correctly, the above information is from the NDHSAA site for classification of teams to AA, A or B. Maybe I am wrong, but using Kindred for example, they won it in 2022, that would give them 4 points. If the get to a minimum of the state semi-finals, they get two points for a total of 6 which bump them up to AA for the 2024-25 season?
I thought the reason for the 3 class system was to get more parity and not have schools of 90 students have to compete against schools with 250 and everyone gets a chance to win?
I am fine if the actual enrollment bumps you up, but get bumped up just because you are successful?
I hope I am wrong with how I am interpreting reclassification criteria, if not, after the next two years, I think you will see Devils Lake and Kindred being moved up as I think these two schools will be fighting it out for the A championship as they have a great junior class now and will be contenders the next couple o years.

I'm pretty sure this would start from this season going forward. I can't see them counting playoff points from the old 2 class system to affect the new 3 class system.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby bk1990 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:40 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
bk1990 wrote:The tournament performance factor will be calculated after each season.
points per division.
committee.
schools in the coop.

I'm pretty sure this would start from this season going forward. I can't see them counting playoff points from the old 2 class system to affect the new 3 class system.

calculated beginning with the 2021-22 school year

The above is from the NDHSAA site regarding the classes and how they may be moved to other divisions.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:38 pm

Teams will be allowed to petition...I can't see the state making a team move up if the 'well is dry' after a good 2-3 year run of solid athletes. We'll see how this goes though...they'll tweak things just like the proposal continued to tweak from the original

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:20 pm

bk1990 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
points per division.
committee.
schools in the coop.

The above is from the NDHSAA site regarding the classes and how they may be moved to other divisions.

Sorry I missed that statement. Also, the first statement says points per division. Again my guess is that Kindred would have 4 points in B but they wouldn't be able to gain any more points in B since they are now in A. They would be starting at 0 now this year in A and if they accumulated 6 points in the next three years in A be subject to moving up to AA.

Six points seems like a pretty small number for A division to me. Since it is a smaller number of teams, it is not unreasonable to see a team be in the state semis or state championship game 2-3 years in a row quite often and be subject to moving up.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:06 pm

^^^this makes more sense

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:36 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
bk1990 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
points per division.
committee.
schools in the coop.

Sorry I missed that statement. Also, the first statement says points per division. Again my guess is that Kindred would have 4 points in B but they wouldn't be able to gain any more points in B since they are now in A. They would be starting at 0 now this year in A and if they accumulated 6 points in the next three years in A be subject to moving up to AA.

Six points seems like a pretty small number for A division to me. Since it is a smaller number of teams, it is not unreasonable to see a team be in the state semis or state championship game 2-3 years in a row quite often and be subject to moving up.

I hope I am reading it wrong, but it doesn't say you start at zero if new class, everyone other than the largest schools are in a new class basically. They clearly say it goes back to the 2021-22 season. It does say they can petition, but why should you have to? Who makes the determination if the "Well goes dry?" Just because you have some good players graduate, not because enrollment dropped?
Just like the whole 3 class system, the NDHSAA rushed this whole thing, This is obviously something that needs to be modifed, but after 1 season?
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:40 pm

bk1990 wrote:I hope I am reading it wrong, but it doesn't say you start at zero if new class...

points per division.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bk1990 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:37 pm

Flip wrote:
bk1990 wrote:I hope I am reading it wrong, but it doesn't say you start at zero if new class...

points per division.

I'm just trying to understand it, so all the new A teams get to start at 0, but a Bowman County, Powers Lake or LLM start with points as they have been in state recently? Teams that are successful, but graduate a good class that acquired enough points that would have to move up can petition to stay down? How about a school like Standing Rock with 283 kids or Lisbon with 198, can they petition to move down due to non-success factor?
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:22 pm

I don't think any of us know for sure. I assume all the teams in A start over.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ChickenNuggets » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:54 am

bk1990 wrote:
Flip wrote:

points per division.

I'm just trying to understand it, so all the new A teams get to start at 0, but a Bowman County, Powers Lake or LLM start with points as they have been in state recently? Teams that are successful, but graduate a good class that acquired enough points that would have to move up can petition to stay down? How about a school like Standing Rock with 283 kids or Lisbon with 198, can they petition to move down due to non-success factor?

Taken from NDHSAA page-

2. Each school may submit a request to NDHSAA indicating the division in which the team wishes to compete by the established deadlines. A school failing to meet the designated deadline will not be permitted to request a classification other than the one assigned by the NDHSAA. The classification committee will consider the following factors:
a. Competitive history and balance
b. Geography
c. School’s enrollment trend
d. Student participation rate
e. Socioeconomic factors of the school’s population
f. Retention and mobility rate of school’s population
g. Additional information unique to school community

It would be my understanding that ANY of these factors can be used for petitioning to a new division.
ChickenNuggets
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys