toughest place to play

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby under armour » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:01 pm

Where do you think the toughest place is to play? And or best all around atmosphere for a basketball game or tournament.
Last edited by under armour on Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
under armour
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thunder66 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:12 am

I've never liked playing at MPCG, even in JH and JV that place always seemed like it was a huge advantage for the Patriots, our varsity games are always packed there and it seems like its always an intense atmosphere
Thunder66

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:25 am

i totally disagree. mpcg players would rather play away. mpcg does'nt have very many dedicated students as fans. and its too nice of a gym to be the toughest place to play. i thin of somewhere like hatton or dakota prairie where the fans are pretty much on the court. i think the reason people don't like to play at mpcg is because their good.
PA42

Postby thunderbaseball_38 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:30 am

being that I am a huge basketball fan at Hatton-Northwood, I would agree that it is hard to play here. We know how loud we are and we are proud of it!
thunderbaseball_38

Postby Diamond D » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:29 am

Toughest place for me was the Glen Ullin gym.  It was like the backboards were concrete and the rims always had something covering them..:headsmack:

Favorite place was the Minot Auditorium.  I liked playing in that atmosphere.  I liked feeling like we were in a bowl.  Regionals were always fun.  Seemed like you could hear the crowds.  I seemed to shoot the ball better there as well.  The popcorn at the one end of the gym behind the buckets always had some good looking gals working it.  :pcorn: ......and the popcorn was good too.
Diamond D

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:26 pm

Binford back in the late eighties and early 90's was a tough place to play, McVille's gym was tough too
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:27 pm

well seein as how i play more games at trinity then i do my own gym...i'm not gonna say that....i'd have to go with any small gym that's closely packed together so it's even louder when the crowd yells.
project-pat

Postby baller01 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:38 pm

I'd like to actually do a survery on gyms in North Dakota because I'd almost have to guarentee that Kulm has the smallest gym. If you have ever played there, you know it is very difficult to play good there. I don't think it is possible to shoot a 3 on the side because the 3 pt line ends up being the out of bounds line. There might be a little room there, but not much. The lighting is also dark in the gym. The rims are cool to shoot on because its almost like you are playing barn basketball. The gym is just too small.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:49 pm

That's how binford's is....there is no lie less then a foot clearance on the sidelines....it is an old barn
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby project-pat » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:54 pm

playin down in ludlow was just like that, wasnt even a basketball court, like a small community center with tape for lines and hoops that were on the rollers like trinitys, but looked like they cost like $50
project-pat

Postby Ping Pong » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:13 pm

ya except for trinitys hoops on rollers are top-of-the line. am i right?
Ping Pong

Postby bestinthewest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:36 pm

Anyone ever played at Solen? that gym is small, the rims are bent and wiggly from guys dunkin on it nonstop durin the day and the people yell when opponents shoot free-throws, that just takes you right out of a game.
bestinthewest
NDPreps Starter

Postby you_dont_know_me » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:07 pm

Yea seeing as how northwood would be the hardest place to play, since the fans there are the greatest in the world! No one comes into Northwood and leaves happy! Long live tony lenz!

you_dont_know_me
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baller01 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:31 pm

I say any gym with tile flooring is hard to play in. They are usually slippery, and to me they hurt worse then wood. Wood seems to give a little, more spring.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby letsgosox » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:42 pm

baller01 wrote:I'd like to actually do a survery on gyms in North Dakota because I'd almost have to guarentee that Kulm has the smallest gym. If you have ever played there, you know it is very difficult to play good there. I don't think it is possible to shoot a 3 on the side because the 3 pt line ends up being the out of bounds line. There might be a little room there, but not much. The lighting is also dark in the gym. The rims are cool to shoot on because its almost like you are playing barn basketball. The gym is just too small.

you obviously have never been to rhame. the court is so short that there is two half court lines.
letsgosox

Postby berry186 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:47 pm

kulm has the same thing with two half lines and there is only about 6 inches on 3 point line and out of bounds have to be on your tippy toes
berry186
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:06 am

It's funny Binford is mentoned as a tough place to play.  Last night the FWW girls were there and they were hearing comments like prairie ni--er and other racist remarks coming from the stands.  I'm getting this info first hand from the coaches.  So hats off to the fans at Midkota, we always appreciate your hospitality!!
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:36 am

nativegolfer wrote:It's funny Binford is mentoned as a tough place to play.  Last night the FWW girls were there and they were hearing comments like prairie ni--er and other racist remarks coming from the stands.  I'm getting this info first hand from the coaches.  So hats off to the fans at Midkota, we always appreciate your hospitality!!

I guess it is a tough place to play, if you consider racism to be a part of the toughness!   That is just wrong!  I would hope that the administration of that school would issue an apology to these fine group of girls and the fans. 

It is sad that in 2007 there is still racism against anyone!  It bothers me hearing that!  If this is true, I am seriously ashamed of ND.  I am sad that this sort of thing still goes on!  I think that the old style of thinking should die with the old style racist!  This does nothing for anyone!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:42 am

Warwick Gym and Tolna Gym were always tough to play in when I played back in 92-95.  Warwick was three bleachers high and standing room only, the concessions stand was on the baseline of one of the baskets.  So you not only had to box out your opponent, you also had to box out the crowd.  They always tracked in snow also that made the floor very slippery! 

Tolna was also a small gym that had dedicated fans that let you know that they didn't like anyone but their own.  Taking the ball out of bounce on sidelines was tough, you heard it form the fans.  I felt if they boo'd me I must be doing something right!

Last edited by Indians Alumni on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:03 am

I was talking about Binford Boys basketball in the late 80's early 90's....sorry to hear about the chants from the Midkota fans, it's a shame.....i agree the administration should do something.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Diamond D » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:49 am

"Last night the FWW girls were there and they were hearing comments like prairie ni--er and other racist remarks coming from the stands.  I'm getting this info first hand from the coaches. "

Careful there Nativegolfer...I said the same thing about the A-E and Dakota Prairie game and the Dakota Prairie crew came after me like hotcakes on here.  Although I can't proove it, I believe I was getting PM's from some of the girls bb players themselves rippin me for even suggesting their crowd was even a little bad.

Diamond D

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:51 am

Diamond D wrote:"Last night the FWW girls were there and they were hearing comments like prairie ni--er and other racist remarks coming from the stands.  I'm getting this info first hand from the coaches. "

Careful there Nativegolfer...I said the same thing about the A-E and Dakota Prairie game and the Dakota Prairie crew came after me like hotcakes on here.  Although I can't proove it, I believe I was getting PM's from some of the girls bb players themselves rippin me for even suggesting their crowd was even a little bad.

Yeah, but this kind of behavior needs to be brought out in the open.  What kind of proof do you need, I mean if the girls and fans say they heard it, I don't think they could recorded it, unless they have it on camera.
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:29 am

Diamond D what the heck are you talkin about?  I don't care if the Midkota fans question me about it.  It happened and needs to be brought out in the open.
Last edited by nativegolfer on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby thesports_guy32 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:45 am

Indians Alumni... you're being a bit naive if you think that racism is not still a big issue. just look at the comments michael richards made and everything that stirred up. i agree with you completely about it being wrong. it shouldn't be happening, especially in a high school setting, but just to be real, racism still exists and unless it is addressed by our nation as a whole, it will always exist.
thesports_guy32

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:27 am

Amen to that Sports_guy. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys