Luke Lorenz

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby web17 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 pm

The Schwab wrote:the most recent thing i've heard that i know for sure was the truth was that he hadn't decided if he wanted to play football or basketball at the next level. and once he decided between them then he would narrow down the schools, but i dont know what schools have been interested in him

Football? Seriously? I didn't think he was much of a football player. If i were him i know i would sure stick with basketball.
web17
NDPreps Starter

Postby bballer2 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:45 pm

web17 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:the most recent thing i've heard that i know for sure was the truth was that he hadn't decided if he wanted to play football or basketball at the next level. and once he decided between them then he would narrow down the schools, but i dont know what schools have been interested in him

Football? Seriously? I didn't think he was much of a football player. If i were him i know i would sure stick with basketball.

i talked tohim recently and i beleieve he siad he is for srue on playin b ball and then from there he's not sure.. he told me some schools that are interested but i do not think he wants me to say so i will wait til the time comes...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thundastruck. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:47 pm

baller01 wrote:
AandBfan wrote:He works hard and he's a good player, but people on here talking about him going  d-1 are completely wrong, what does he have that makes him d-1 caliber over some of class b's other good players

What is the famous saying..."defense wins championships." Every good team needs a defensive stopper. Look at the San Antonio Spurs. A very complete team that won the NBA title a couple years ago. Everyone always talked about Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Manu Ginaboli. The fact of the matter is, there was a guy named Bruce Bowen. He was there defensive stopper who night in and night out was asked to stop the oppenents best player. Every good team has one at any level. Sure Lorenz isn't going to go to a college and be the teams best player, he isn't that kind of player. He is a defender and a role player. It was WAY harder to find a good defender and role player then it is to find a good offensive player. That is what Lorenz brings to the table night in and night out that no one else in the state does.

what does he have that makes him d-1 caliber over some of class b's other good players
thundastruck.

Postby cubsfan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:00 pm

Last edited by cubsfan on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:37 pm

thundastruck. wrote:
baller01 wrote:
AandBfan wrote:He works hard and he's a good player, but people on here talking about him going  d-1 are completely wrong, what does he have that makes him d-1 caliber over some of class b's other good players

What is the famous saying..."defense wins championships." Every good team needs a defensive stopper. Look at the San Antonio Spurs. A very complete team that won the NBA title a couple years ago. Everyone always talked about Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, and Manu Ginaboli. The fact of the matter is, there was a guy named Bruce Bowen. He was there defensive stopper who night in and night out was asked to stop the oppenents best player. Every good team has one at any level. Sure Lorenz isn't going to go to a college and be the teams best player, he isn't that kind of player. He is a defender and a role player. It was WAY harder to find a good defender and role player then it is to find a good offensive player. That is what Lorenz brings to the table night in and night out that no one else in the state does.

what does he have that makes him d-1 caliber over some of class b's other good players

A great defender will always stop a great scorer....
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:40 pm

baller01 wrote:
thundastruck. wrote:
baller01 wrote:

maybe that was the case in the 70's and 80's but if u got a scorer that can shoot from anywhere and is feeling it, he wont be stopped.  kobe bryant is a perfect example.  if hes on fire i dont scare if u have the best defender in the world on him, hes gonna light it up. the only thing that can truly stop a great scorer is team defense and off nights
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:43 pm

sodadrinker wrote:
baller01 wrote:
thundastruck. wrote:
baller01 wrote:

maybe that was the case in the 70's and 80's but if u got a scorer that can shoot from anywhere and is feeling it, he wont be stopped.  kobe bryant is a perfect example.  if hes on fire i dont scare if u have the best defender in the world on him, hes gonna light it up. the only thing that can truly stop a great scorer is team defense and off nights

How many Kobe Bryants are there in North Dakota? How many are there in the world? For that reason you gave me I will change my line... A great defender will always (with the exception of Kobe Bryant) will always stop a great scorer. Comparing the athletes in North Dakota... Lorenz would contain all the guys mentioned as top players in class B. I'm not saying he would not allow them to score, but I'm saying he would hold them below there average. Ex. Logan Carlbrom... 8 points against MPCG.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:45 pm

no kobe bryants, but there is a mark bakkum, tony ironheart, neil packineau, and nathan packineau and i know hes a good defender but i dont seem him stopping them 4 alone.
you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you got a glass jaw you should watch your mouth
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:48 pm

sodadrinker wrote:no kobe bryants, but there is a mark bakkum, tony ironheart, neil packineau, and nathan packineau and i know hes a good defender but i dont seem him stopping them 4 alone.

It is very hard to say, in a one on one game, he probably wouldn't. But I think if you matched up there teams, and had him guard each one of them, they would score less then there average.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:53 pm

baller01 wrote:
sodadrinker wrote:no kobe bryants, but there is a mark bakkum, tony ironheart, neil packineau, and nathan packineau and i know hes a good defender but i dont seem him stopping them 4 alone.

It is very hard to say, in a one on one game, he probably wouldn't. But I think if you matched up there teams, and had him guard each one of them, they would score less then there average.

yes i think they would too but bakkum and ironheart i know would still have a major effect on the game becuz they would find the open guy.  scoring isnt all to their games.  same goes for na pack.  i dont necissarily think stopping someone from scoring is shutting them down.
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:10 pm

did you watch any of the state tournament last year....a great defender can shut down a great scorer.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:13 pm

sodadrinker wrote:
baller01 wrote:

yes i think they would too but bakkum and ironheart i know would still have a major effect on the game becuz they would find the open guy.  scoring isnt all to their games.  same goes for na pack.  i dont necissarily think stopping someone from scoring is shutting them down.

You do have a good point there. They still would play a major factor as they would do exactly what you said they would do. I'm just saying Lorenz would hold them down scoring wise. But you post a very good comment.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:15 pm

im not arguing that he is probably the best defender in the state but hes not the best player IMO.  if he has a chance to play bakkum or ironheart and shuts them down he will have all of my respect but until he shuts down a player of their caliber i just cant say he can do it alone
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:16 pm

ross flourhaug (spelling)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:18 pm

The Schwab wrote:ross flourhaug (spelling)

Logan Carlbrom...
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sodadrinker » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:23 pm

baller01 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:ross flourhaug (spelling)

Logan Carlbrom...

ross couldnt shoot consistently... whole game was based on athletism.  u keep him from getting in for a lay up or a mid range pull up and he couldnt do anything.  dont know anything about carlbrom except that he doesnt put up huge numbers everynight like other people i am thinking of
sodadrinker
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class bbbb » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:43 am

horne98 wrote:Lorenz is 6'3" or maybe 6'4". i don't know if lorenz is getting d1 looks or not.  But if he was i think the team would be getting a competitor with an excellent work ethic. Just those attributes makes him a prospect. Not to mention he can play the game a little too.

There is no way Lorenz could play D-1. I think he would have a tough time surviving in the dac. Not overly quick, doesn't shoot the ball too well, and doesn't pass that well either.
Last edited by Class bbbb on Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Class bbbb
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BB11 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:29 am

[user=1518]Class bbbb[/user] wrote:
horne98 wrote:Lorenz is 6'3" or maybe 6'4". i don't know if lorenz is getting d1 looks or not.  But if he was i think the team would be getting a competitor with an excellent work ethic. Just those attributes makes him a prospect. Not to mention he can play the game a little too.

There is no way Lorenz could play D-1. I think he would have a tough time surviving in the dac. Not overly quick, doesn't shoot the ball too well, and doesn't pass that well either.

I know Luke - he is a classy kid. I've worked with him a few times in the past 4 years - I have rarely met a kid who works harder at his game in all aspects. Weight training - running - and all basketball fundamentals. I wouldn't leave anything out of the equation where Luke is involved. He reminds me a lot of Craig Nelson - who I consider to be the best point guard this state has seen in the last 20 years - my opinion only.
Luke is one of those kids who gives athletes a good name - he's a hard worker - courteous - and is willing to lend a hand to younger kids if they need help. Let's not sell him short on what he can and can't do - only he knows that.
And before anyone says anything - NO I am not from Mayville or from anywhere in that region - I just know Luke and know the type of person he is.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:05 am

BB11 wrote:[user=1518]Class bbbb[/user] wrote:
horne98 wrote:Lorenz is 6'3" or maybe 6'4". i don't know if lorenz is getting d1 looks or not.� But if he was i think the team would be getting a competitor with an excellent work ethic. Just those attributes makes him a prospect. Not to mention he can play the game a little too.

There is no way Lorenz could play D-1. I think he would have a tough time surviving in the dac. Not overly quick, doesn't shoot the�ball too�well, and doesn't pass that well either.

I know Luke - he is a classy kid. I've worked with him a few times in the past 4 years - I have rarely met a kid who works harder at his game in all aspects. Weight training - running - and all basketball fundamentals. I wouldn't leave anything out of the equation where Luke is involved. He reminds me a lot of Craig Nelson - who I consider to be the best point guard this state has seen in the last 20 years - my opinion only.
Luke is one of those kids who gives athletes a good name - he's a hard worker - courteous - and is willing to lend a hand to younger kids if they need help. Let's not sell him short on what he can and can't do - only he knows that.
And before anyone says anything - NO I am not from Mayville or from anywhere in that region - I just know Luke and know the type of person he is.

Thee most true post I think I've ever read about Luke.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:07 am

baller01 wrote:
horne98 wrote:Lorenz is 6'3" or maybe 6'4". i don't know if lorenz is getting d1 looks or not.� But if he was i think the team would be getting a competitor with an excellent work ethic. Just those attributes makes him a prospect. Not to mention he can play the game a little too.

There is no way Lorenz could play D-1. I think he would have a tough time surviving in the dac. Not overly quick, doesn't shoot the�ball too�well, and doesn't pass that well either.

YES!!!! finally another person on this site who know's Luke and what he's all about....
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:08 am

The Schwab wrote:
baller01 wrote:

YES!!!! finally another person on this site who know's Luke and what he's all about....

Funny thing is, all of what BB11 said is true.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:13 am

yes....except i have a differnt opinion on Craig Nelson....I know he was an amazing player...but the best point guard from ND IMO is Hunter Burg...he was on another level.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:45 pm

The Schwab wrote:yes....except i have a differnt opinion on Craig Nelson....I know he was an amazing player...but the best point guard from ND IMO is Hunter Burg...he was on another level.

I never seen Burg play but Nelson was the best point guard I ever seen play.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby feeshattack » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:16 pm

yes nelson was a great player, he was very fun to watch.... the nelson nelson combo for mpcg back in the days was tough to stop
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:21 pm

feeshattack wrote:yes nelson was a great player, he was very fun to watch.... the nelson nelson combo for mpcg back in the days was tough to stop

For the longest time I thought those two were brothers. It was only until a year or two ago that I found out they weren't. Had me confused the whole time.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys