Luke Lorenz

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby ndfan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Herald had a Q & A with Lorenz the 5 toughest guys he has had to defend in the area.

Luke Lorenz,
May-Port-C-G

The senior is a returning North Dakota Class B first-team all-state basketball selection. Lorenz has gained notoriety not only for his offense but for his defensive skills, as he was considered the top defender on last season's Class B state runner-up Patriots team. So Lorenz was asked about the five toughest players from the area he's had to defend in the past few seasons: His picks:

-- Ryan Opdahl, Larimore: “Ryan was hard to defend because he always worked so hard. He was always driving to the basket, and he was really good on the offensive boards.â€
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:10 pm

this was a really good article and found it really interesting. and before everyone gets defensive i think the herald wanted to keep it within the grand forks area. That is why it does not mention ernst, florhaug, bennefield, and so on. a very different look at sports. first article i have seen like this.
Last edited by PA42 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby sportsperson » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:25 pm

That Clayton Johnson kid must be from Minnesota, because I've never heard of him or Clearbrook-Gonvick.  If Lorenz says he's the toughest of the five he must be a heck of a ball player though.
sportsperson
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:30 am

cg was an amzing team. they have a pretty good team this year if i'm not mistaken.
Last edited by PA42 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby ndsubisonfan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:58 am

I've only seen Lorenz play once.. he looked to me like hes just a straight hustle guy. does he have pretty good basketball athleticism to go with that?
ndsubisonfan

Postby baller01 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:44 am

ndsubisonfan wrote:I've only seen Lorenz play once.. he looked to me like hes just a straight hustle guy. does he have pretty good basketball athleticism to go with that?

Unfortunately for him, he doesn't. He just has straight up desire and determination. He just knows how to work hard and how to do stuff properly. If he had some of the athleticism as guys like Ironhart and Bakkum, he would be averaging well over 20 points. But he also might not play the kind of defense that he does know if he could score more. Lorenz just knows what it takes to win, and how to get it done.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:05 am

The only reason he is not averaging 20 plus points a game is because he is so unselfish....he has alot of basketball athleticism.....and he is on a team with a coach that's MAIN focus is on the team...not the individual.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:38 am

on last years cg team clayton johnson was their second leading scorer.  he had 25+ against may port cg in the game in forks.  C-G was also ranked 3rd in minnesota at the time of the game and may port  was lucky that scott stebe (20+ points per game average) for CG had an off shooting night being held to i think 6  points in a game that the final score was 44-40, right now mpcg's ally
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby feeshattack » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:12 pm

my opinion on Lorenz after watching him for 2 seasons is that he is just a hustler and good defender. His offensive skills are not that great. Hustle and work ethic are his attributes that keep him up there in all of the talk of mr.basketball and lions team.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond all measure."
feeshattack
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:11 am

i think it is a complement to say lorenz is just a good defender who works hard. There is no question he is one of the top players in the state. I think it just show the fire and passion he plays with.
PA42

Postby toughregion2 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:20 pm

Lorenz takes what the games gives him. He is the reason Mpgg has done what its done the last couple years.  Mpgg always has one of these guys its seems like. Coach nelsons boy was the same way.  I think they both started since they were freshman/soph
toughregion2

Postby the_real_deal » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:43 am

I heard from someone that Lorenz is getting recruited by Iowa St. Does anyone know if this is true at all?
the_real_deal

Postby thundastruck. » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:44 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:on last years cg team clayton johnson was their second leading scorer.  he had 25+ against may port cg in the game in forks.  C-G was also ranked 3rd in minnesota at the time of the game and may port  was lucky that scott stebe (20+ points per game average) for CG had an off shooting night being held to i think 6  points in a game that the final score was 44-40, right now mpcg's ally

stebe sprained his ankle badly during the week or the night before.  prolly shouldnt of played but did and i dont think he recovered for rest of the year.  cg went down hill after that game..  johnson is a stud tho.
Last edited by thundastruck. on Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thundastruck.

Postby PA42 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:58 pm

i think its funny that most teams have bad shooting games against. is it luck?
PA42

Postby thundastruck. » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:05 pm

the_real_deal wrote:I heard from someone that Lorenz is getting recruited by Iowa St. Does anyone know if this is true at all?

are they sure they know what their getting..
thundastruck.

Postby ndfan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:08 pm

[user=2039]thundastruck.[/user] wrote:
the_real_deal wrote:I heard from someone that Lorenz is getting recruited by Iowa St. Does anyone know if this is true at all?

are they sure they know what their getting..[/quote

Why don't you tell us what you think they would be getting.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundastruck. » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:15 pm

ndfan wrote:[user=2039]thundastruck.[/user] wrote:

are they sure they know what their getting..[/quote

Why don't you tell us what you think they would be getting.

a 6'2" post player, not a guard where would he fit at d1?  dont think he'll get charles barkley like.
Last edited by thundastruck. on Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thundastruck.

Postby PA42 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:02 am

Lorenz is 6'3" or maybe 6'4". i don't know if lorenz is getting d1 looks or not.  But if he was i think the team would be getting a competitor with an excellent work ethic. Just those attributes makes him a prospect. Not to mention he can play the game a little too.
PA42

Postby The Schwab » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:56 am

sounds like a little bit of jealousy to me....He is a great player....and if he is indeed getting looked at by D1 he deserves every bit of it....and as for what they would be getting is a kid who works his man off day in and day out.
Last edited by The Schwab on Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:29 am

Why are we even discussing this. Of course Lorenz could go D-1. I'm not saying he would be a star because he probably wouldn't. But I know that coaches love guys on there team that have a work ethic like them and can play defense. Any good coach will tell you that they would rather have a great defender then a great offensive player.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby thundastruck. » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:19 pm

The Schwab wrote:sounds like a little bit of jealousy to me....He is a great player....and if he is indeed getting looked at by D1 he deserves every bit of it....and as for what they would be getting is a kid who works his butt off day in and day out.

how many times have you seen him play?  has a hard time postin up on a guard.  D1 no, d2 prolly
thundastruck.

Postby The Schwab » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:51 pm

I'd say i've seen him play....30 times .....good enough for ya?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundastruck. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:53 am

The Schwab wrote:I'd say i've seen him play....30 times .....good enough for ya?

hmm me too, i wonder why we have diff opinions?
thundastruck.

Postby The Schwab » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:57 am

i was thinkin a little bit of jealously...maybe a couple of hard feeling over some games....just a thought.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby thundastruck. » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:02 am

The Schwab wrote:i was thinkin a little bit of jealously...maybe a couple of hard feeling over some games....just a thought.

nope i played before his time, just dont see the talent, hustle yes- talent-skills average
thundastruck.

Next

Return to Boys