3 class proposal

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class proposal

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:47 am

bk1990 wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:Will they even have the parade of champions any more? Central Cass boys' basketball team will be invited if they do still have it. Do you think they'll go to that instead of the state tournament they are actually playing in next year? :D Also, good question on the Lion's game. Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

It looks like they plan to have the Parade at halftime of Championship game for A, which is in Fargo. So, you have a state champion from, lets say, a wrestler from New Salem, or One Act Play from Belfield. However, their basketball team made state, which would be in Minot for B next year. Wow, quite the choice, go be recognized for your accomplishment which is well earned, walk across the floor for 5 seconds, or go cheer your classmates on for 3 days and not have to drive 200-300 miles to Fargo.
Going to say it again, three class basketball was needed, but they really rushed it just for the sake of change

It was being forced on them with threats of lawsuit from some of the B schools (Garrison was one). This was a win for the Small B's and the Small A's but the rush into it was also driven by those schools and they wanted it quick. Decisions on these things are now having to be made quick by the NDHSAA and just like the 3 class setup...not everyone is going to like it. I honestly think the AA & A tournaments should be at the same time and the B tournament alone...would be the logical option to make the parade of champions easier.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:03 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:Will they even have the parade of champions any more? Central Cass boys' basketball team will be invited if they do still have it. Do you think they'll go to that instead of the state tournament they are actually playing in next year? :D Also, good question on the Lion's game. Will be interesting to see how they handle that.

It looks like they plan to have the Parade at halftime of Championship game for A, which is in Fargo. So, you have a state champion from, lets say, a wrestler from New Salem, or One Act Play from Belfield. However, their basketball team made state, which would be in Minot for B next year. Wow, quite the choice, go be recognized for your accomplishment which is well earned, walk across the floor for 5 seconds, or go cheer your classmates on for 3 days and not have to drive 200-300 miles to Fargo.
Going to say it again, three class basketball was needed, but they really rushed it just for the sake of change

It was being forced on them with threats of lawsuit from some of the B schools (Garrison was one). This was a win for the Small B's and the Small A's but the rush into it was also driven by those schools and they wanted it quick. Decisions on these things are now having to be made quick by the NDHSAA and just like the 3 class setup...not everyone is going to like it. I honestly think the AA & A tournaments should be at the same time and the B tournament alone...would be the logical option to make the parade of champions easier.

I gotta disagree that this was a win for small b's. A win for small B's would have been a cutoff number at 120 or so, not 160. And moving Ryan up. This was all about the small A's who have board representation. Trust me on this - those guys could care less about these details being discussed here. Absolutely not a care in the world about that. I'll be interested in where this goes after Devils Lake wins the first two state titles (with Turtle Mountain finishing second) and Ryan winning the B next year. At that point the narrative won't be about winning and losing - probably something like "but so many more kids got to experience the state tournament"....
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:38 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:

I gotta disagree that this was a win for small b's. A win for small B's would have been a cutoff number at 120 or so, not 160. And moving Ryan up. This was all about the small A's who have board representation. Trust me on this - those guys could care less about these details being discussed here. Absolutely not a care in the world about that. I'll be interested in where this goes after Devils Lake wins the first two state titles (with Turtle Mountain finishing second) and Ryan winning the B next year. At that point the narrative won't be about winning and losing - probably something like "but so many more kids got to experience the state tournament"....

Yeah you are right on the Bishop Ryan situation in B...in my mind, I still think they are a middle class school (and not just for being a parochial school); yes the DL, VC, Wahp, TMCHS bunch all had a lot to gain from this and Watford City's boys will no longer be the WDA's punching bag...they'll be far more competitive in the middle class

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:24 pm

Not sure who you are referring to that was threating lawsuits and why. Also, to pencil in DL and Ryan as state champions next year is shortsighted and disrespectful to a lot of other schools. While I agree DL will have a good shot the next two years, they have a load of talent coming back, the Ryan argument is really getting tired saying they should have to move up. The school was listed at 94 students, someone said they are losing 7 seniors, only returning 1 starter and 1 player who came off the bench that really got any meaningful playing time. To say they will win the next two years? What about Bowman County, returning First and Second team All State players, in my world, shouldn't they be the favorite? How about Westhope? Returning everyone and and Second team All state player. But wait, they aren't in a larger city like Ryan is, so Ryan automatically is the better team. I grew up in a rural area, living in larger town doesn't make you a better player. Oh I forgot, they recruit because they have a bigger talent pool to pull from, pretty sure they still have to pay tuition, not everyone is willing to do that or can, but I'm sure someone will come back at me and say they get their tuition paid or waived, better have proof before you throw that out.
I also don't agree on how people want to punish a program just because they are successful, such as some the the "privates" have been. What was done to St Mary's football a few years ago after winning some state championships, they applied a success ratio and moved them up to AAA. But in todays day and age, I guess it is acceptable to punish success and everyone is entitled to success.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:46 pm

bk1990 wrote:Not sure who you are referring to that was threating lawsuits and why. Also, to pencil in DL and Ryan as state champions next year is shortsighted and disrespectful to a lot of other schools. While I agree DL will have a good shot the next two years, they have a load of talent coming back, the Ryan argument is really getting tired saying they should have to move up. The school was listed at 94 students, someone said they are losing 7 seniors, only returning 1 starter and 1 player who came off the bench that really got any meaningful playing time. To say they will win the next two years? What about Bowman County, returning First and Second team All State players, in my world, shouldn't they be the favorite? How about Westhope? Returning everyone and and Second team All state player. But wait, they aren't in a larger city like Ryan is, so Ryan automatically is the better team. I grew up in a rural area, living in larger town doesn't make you a better player. Oh I forgot, they recruit because they have a bigger talent pool to pull from, pretty sure they still have to pay tuition, not everyone is willing to do that or can, but I'm sure someone will come back at me and say they get their tuition paid or waived, better have proof before you throw that out.
I also don't agree on how people want to punish a program just because they are successful, such as some the the "privates" have been. What was done to St Mary's football a few years ago after winning some state championships, they applied a success ratio and moved them up to AAA. But in todays day and age, I guess it is acceptable to punish success and everyone is entitled to success.

Agree with a lot of what you said, in particular the part about punishing some schools - that's the exact point of this plan, punish the bigger b's (we all know who) and privates and reward the smaller A's and the bigger b's - spot on. Again - look at the makeup of the board. And yes - many think everyone is entitled to success - isn't that a big reason why we have 3 classes now??

As for Ryan, here's betting the find the right players to field a highly competitive team, just as they have the last 20 years or so. Are they or DL a lock? No - this is sports after all. I'm pretty sure I WOULD take DL over the field at this point though. No idea if Ryan scholarships kids - I know Shiloh does, so it wouldn't shock me.

As for the all state team - you are putting WAY to much stock in that. Go watch an AAU tournament where some of the guys you mentioned are playing on the second team (b team essentially). Oh, and one of our first team all staters was CUT from the same program - didn't make a team, while B kids that weren't named on the team are playing on the top crew - sorry to say, the all state team is often times fools gold. Please don't take that as me slamming a bunch of kids - as they obviously had nothing to do with being name to the team.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:07 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:

I too feel that Devils Lake and Bishop Ryan got put into the wrong class. However, your overall argument comes across as extremely petty. It sounds like you're saying, "If the two favorites win the state tournament one of the next two years, this proves this new 3-class system is terrible and we should've just stayed with the old 2-class system." Yes, I feel like some details could/should be decided a little differently, but saying "I'm gonna take my ball and go home because Devils Lake might win a state title" is a pretty non-convincing argument.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:35 pm

It wasn’t petty when you whined and argued the exact same points, gotcha.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:53 pm

My point is that the way things turned out is not perfect. But objectively comparing our old 2-class system to our new 3-class system and concluding that the 2-class system is better is impossible to comprehend. Immediately next year we will have more competitive games and teams have more scheduling flexibility. More teams will have a chance at more postseason success and that ultimately will lead to more fan interest. These 3 factors far outweigh the downside of a couple of teams getting put in the "wrong" class. Yes, I would handle the state tournament schedule a little differently, but I'm already more excited about next year's 6 state tournaments than the 4 we've had recently.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:22 am

Thundersnow wrote:My point is that the way things turned out is not perfect. But objectively comparing our old 2-class system to our new 3-class system and concluding that the 2-class system is better is impossible to comprehend. Immediately next year we will have more competitive games and teams have more scheduling flexibility. More teams will have a chance at more postseason success and that ultimately will lead to more fan interest. These 3 factors far outweigh the downside of a couple of teams getting put in the "wrong" class. Yes, I would handle the state tournament schedule a little differently, but I'm already more excited about next year's 6 state tournaments than the 4 we've had recently.

Once again that's your opinion which you continually state over and over and over again, no one cares anymore. You would have loved the 2-class if WC was able to stay in it. The flexibility in the schedules was always there changing classes has done absolutely nothing to change that! What teams exactly have a better chance to compete? The 5 small A schools that moved down? The state tournaments are a joke, the board didn't care about anything but the schools they work at. Which in all honesty is fine if they would have just admitted that rather than sell us all these cheesy lines they did.

The only thing that will save the new 3 class is the ability to force teams to move and allow teams to drop, in time that should depending on who is on that board allow some of the parity to work itself. IF the right ppl are not on that board the 3-class will be worse than the 2 with the same collection of teams at state.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:58 am

bk1990 wrote:I also don't agree on how people want to punish a program just because they are successful, such as some the the "privates" have been. What was done to St Mary's football a few years ago after winning some state championships, they applied a success ratio and moved them up to AAA. But in todays day and age, I guess it is acceptable to punish success and everyone is entitled to success.

Well now you have me fired up. St Mary's was in the state title game 11 out of 12 years... and St Marys had a good year in AAA. Yes they did not win the state title but "YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO WIN IT EVERY YEAR" Playing .500 is a good thing. Going undefeated and have a running clock in the second half of every game is not competitive. Also Minot Ryan playing in the B is shameful. I want to see a year where they play 500 basketball. Find me a another school in the new Class B that can have 7 seniors graduate and be 500 the next year.... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. The number have clearly shown the Privates do not belong in Class B.
I have not problem with the 3 class system but all it is really doing is moving the same problems on different schools and ruin the best part of sports in North Dakota and that is the class B tournaments.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:01 am

Thundersnow wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:

I too feel that Devils Lake and Bishop Ryan got put into the wrong class. However, your overall argument comes across as extremely petty. It sounds like you're saying, "If the two favorites win the state tournament one of the next two years, this proves this new 3-class system is terrible and we should've just stayed with the old 2-class system." Yes, I feel like some details could/should be decided a little differently, but saying "I'm gonna take my ball and go home because Devils Lake might win a state title" is a pretty non-convincing argument.

You nailed my thoughts verbatim, and did a bang up job of putting words in my mouth.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby bk1990 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:24 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
bk1990 wrote:I also don't agree on how people want to punish a program just because they are successful, such as some the the "privates" have been. What was done to St Mary's football a few years ago after winning some state championships, they applied a success ratio and moved them up to AAA. But in todays day and age, I guess it is acceptable to punish success and everyone is entitled to success.

Well now you have me fired up. St Mary's was in the state title game 11 out of 12 years... and St Marys had a good year in AAA. Yes they did not win the state title but "YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO WIN IT EVERY YEAR" Playing .500 is a good thing. Going undefeated and have a running clock in the second half of every game is not competitive. Also Minot Ryan playing in the B is shameful. I want to see a year where they play 500 basketball. Find me a another school in the new Class B that can have 7 seniors graduate and be 500 the next year.... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. The number have clearly shown the Privates do not belong in Class B.
I have not problem with the 3 class system but all it is really doing is moving the same problems on different schools and ruin the best part of sports in North Dakota and that is the class B tournaments.

I never said you are suppossed to win it every year, and St Mary's was 3-6, got shut out twice and had 70 scored on them in the last game of the year. Do you think the reason they could compete year in and out was because of culture of program, oh, and they had one of the all time great coaches in North Dakota, Dan Smrekar.
Also, you take 7 seniors from any basketball team, whether Bishop Ryan or Bismarck Century, it hurts. Century is in the same situation as Ryan next year, both lost 4 starters and top reserves from this year. However, both have good a good culture and coaching staff, if they are competive next year, give the kids and coaches some credit for putting in work to get better.
You say Ryan will be better than .500 next year? Wow, like to follow you if you can predict what a team will do next year when it is time to fill out a March Madness bracket.
You are right in one thing, NDHSAA was self serving with this plan to better their schools. I don't like to wish ill will on anyone, especially kids, but it would be poetic justice if their teams achieve limited success with the new system
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:18 pm

bk1990 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

I never said you are suppossed to win it every year, and St Mary's was 3-6, got shut out twice and had 70 scored on them in the last game of the year. Do you think the reason they could compete year in and out was because of culture of program, oh, and they had one of the all time great coaches in North Dakota, Dan Smrekar.
Also, you take 7 seniors from any basketball team, whether Bishop Ryan or Bismarck Century, it hurts. Century is in the same situation as Ryan next year, both lost 4 starters and top reserves from this year. However, both have good a good culture and coaching staff, if they are competive next year, give the kids and coaches some credit for putting in work to get better.
You say Ryan will be better than .500 next year? Wow, like to follow you if you can predict what a team will do next year when it is time to fill out a March Madness bracket.
You are right in one thing, NDHSAA was self serving with this plan to better their schools. I don't like to wish ill will on anyone, especially kids, but it would be poetic justice if their teams achieve limited success with the new system

When was the last time Bishop Ryan had a "bad year" in basketball? If you take 7 seniors away from any of the teams in the current 3rd class of basketball over 90% of the time the next year will be a real struggle. I do not think Bishop Ryan will struggle next season at all.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:10 pm

Have to define a down year but I would consider this a 'down' year.
2019-2020: 12-11

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:05 am

Playing .500 basketball is not a good year. That is an average year. Some schools in class b that is a great season. For Private schools that is a bad year. 4 wins is a bad season.
The Big B's and The Privates are so used to winning all the time that they do consider 12-11 a bad year.
The comment about St Mary's football... going 3-6 on the year... that proves they don't belong in AAA and they lost by 70 points in the last two games..... That is the reason they belong in AAA... to actually have competition. The 3 teams they beat should be the ones wanting to go to AA.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:25 am

maddog1971 wrote:…they lost by 70 points in the last two games..That is the reason they belong in AAA

That’s an interesting thought :roll: keep your parochial hate strong

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:03 pm

You will never hear me bad mouth Shanley. Class School. And I have nothing but positive things to say about DT, Shiloh or the Grovers. BUT Minot is another thing. I will not have positive word to say about them. St Mary's... as long as they play with the big boys and as long as they stop complaining about not playing for the state title every year.... I will have no problem with them.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:07 pm

St Marys lost 28-0 Minto.... That is a competitive game
St Marys beat Bismark 20-15
St Marys beat Williston 21-7
Lost to Mandan 34-0
Lost to West Fargo 30 to 7... Competitive game
Beat Fargo south 10-7
Last two games they got stomped...
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby bk1990 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:40 am

maddog1971 wrote:You will never hear me bad mouth Shanley. Class School. And I have nothing but positive things to say about DT, Shiloh or the Grovers. BUT Minot is another thing. I will not have positive word to say about them. St Mary's... as long as they play with the big boys and as long as they stop complaining about not playing for the state title every year.... I will have no problem with them.

Really? I don't remember reading anything positive you said about DT, Shiloh or OG. I think I do remember you saying Shiloh does recruit. You seem to have some special hatred for Ryan though.
There is a real possibility that both Shiloh and Trinity make to state next year, possibly one of them winning the challenge game. Also, Ryan could make it even with what I hear could be low numbers next year, they didn't have a "C" squad this year and may not have many freshman next year coming up, so may be only a JV and Varsity squad again. Our Redeemers has a lot of good young players and a great coach, do not count them out.
Don't know what Oak Grove has, but if 3-5 parochial schools make state tourney's, unsure of the St Mary's and Shanley teams, I plan to sit back with some popcorn and watch the fireworks
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:58 am

bk1990 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:You will never hear me bad mouth Shanley. Class School. And I have nothing but positive things to say about DT, Shiloh or the Grovers. BUT Minot is another thing. I will not have positive word to say about them. St Mary's... as long as they play with the big boys and as long as they stop complaining about not playing for the state title every year.... I will have no problem with them.

Really? I don't remember reading anything positive you said about DT, Shiloh or OG. I think I do remember you saying Shiloh does recruit. You seem to have some special hatred for Ryan though.
There is a real possibility that both Shiloh and Trinity make to state next year, possibly one of them winning the challenge game. Also, Ryan could make it even with what I hear could be low numbers next year, they didn't have a "C" squad this year and may not have many freshman next year coming up, so may be only a JV and Varsity squad again. Our Redeemers has a lot of good young players and a great coach, do not count them out.
Don't know what Oak Grove has, but if 3-5 parochial schools make state tourney's, unsure of the St Mary's and Shanley teams, I plan to sit back with some popcorn and watch the fireworks

OG will be down after losing some very key seniors...one of which maddog consistently had negative things to say about because he followed the team's game plan and shot too much.

Region 1 will be very interesting...VC will finally be competitive regularly and Wahpeton will likely be the favorite

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:38 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:

OG will be down after losing some very key seniors...one of which maddog consistently had negative things to say about because he followed the team's game plan and shot too much.

Region 1 will be very interesting...VC will finally be competitive regularly and Wahpeton will likely be the favorite

Really? Unless I'm missing (and I sure could be) I'd say that Kindred will be the favorite with Casselton right on their heels......
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:18 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
bk1990 wrote:

Really? Unless I'm missing (and I sure could be) I'd say that Kindred will be the favorite with Casselton right on their heels......

Ok let's say Wahpeton, Kindred & Central Cass then...those were my top 3
It's hard to gauge how beneficial the little A's will be to this new region; VC will have more competitive games...that's for sure...Wahpeton will be favored in more games

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sniper » Tue May 02, 2023 8:11 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
bk1990 wrote:Not sure who you are referring to that was threating lawsuits and why. Also, to pencil in DL and Ryan as state champions next year is shortsighted and disrespectful to a lot of other schools. While I agree DL will have a good shot the next two years, they have a load of talent coming back, the Ryan argument is really getting tired saying they should have to move up. The school was listed at 94 students, someone said they are losing 7 seniors, only returning 1 starter and 1 player who came off the bench that really got any meaningful playing time. To say they will win the next two years? What about Bowman County, returning First and Second team All State players, in my world, shouldn't they be the favorite? How about Westhope? Returning everyone and and Second team All state player. But wait, they aren't in a larger city like Ryan is, so Ryan automatically is the better team. I grew up in a rural area, living in larger town doesn't make you a better player. Oh I forgot, they recruit because they have a bigger talent pool to pull from, pretty sure they still have to pay tuition, not everyone is willing to do that or can, but I'm sure someone will come back at me and say they get their tuition paid or waived, better have proof before you throw that out.

Agree with a lot of what you said, in particular the part about punishing some schools - that's the exact point of this plan, punish the bigger b's (we all know who) and privates and reward the smaller A's and the bigger b's - spot on. Again - look at the makeup of the board. And yes - many think everyone is entitled to success - isn't that a big reason why we have 3 classes now??

As for Ryan, here's betting the find the right players to field a highly competitive team, just as they have the last 20 years or so. Are they or DL a lock? No - this is sports after all. I'm pretty sure I WOULD take DL over the field at this point though. No idea if Ryan scholarships kids - I know Shiloh does, so it wouldn't shock me.

As for the all state team - you are putting WAY to much stock in that. Go watch an AAU tournament where some of the guys you mentioned are playing on the second team (b team essentially). Oh, and one of our first team all staters was CUT from the same program - didn't make a team, while B kids that weren't named on the team are playing on the top crew - sorry to say, the all state team is often times fools gold. Please don't take that as me slamming a bunch of kids - as they obviously had nothing to do with being name to the team.

Heard this false rumor about one of the first team all staters. The player I am talking about did not play for that AAU program at any point and did not attend try outs.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue May 02, 2023 8:50 am

Sniper wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

Heard this false rumor about one of the first team all staters. The player I am talking about did not play for that AAU program at any point and did not attend try outs.

No idea who you're talking about, but I know who I'M talking about. And it isn't false.

Also Sniper, are you also BKT1990?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Tue May 02, 2023 10:55 am

bk1990 wrote:

I am all for the parochial schools in Class A to make it to the State tournament. That is the reason we have a 3rd Class... that is where they belong. Along with the Big B's and small A's.... I really can not understand how Devils Lake stayed in the A class but whatever....

And Yes I see Kindred and Central Cass making it to the State A boys basketball. Both Team will be loaded to compete at the middle class.....

Lastly I never mention a player by name... I also stated that Oak Grove had a good team with Good Players but many of them just stood around and watched because one player was taking over 25 shots a game. It is just my observation. And many people agreed with me.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys