2021-2022 Mr. Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2021-2022 Mr. Basketball

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:16 am

east sider wrote:
balla45 wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:After watching Kindred Enderlin game, Eaglestaff definitely takes a big leap ahead.

Fascinating. The 21 point, 15 rebound, 7 assist, 7 block effort that Joe Hurlburt had against a Kindred team that is likely good enough to win a state title caused a different player to take a big leap in an award race. Why?

Yeah, I don't know how you watch that game and come away with his main competition "definitely takes a big leap ahead". Are those official stats? I definitely missed the 7 blocks, probably counted 3. I'm much more sold on him playing at a higher level after the Kindred game. He is a special rebounder and has the highest ceiling of any player in the state without a doubt.

He still has issues though. How many TOs did he have? Still complains too much to refs. Seems aloof on defense half the time. And most importantly his team still lost.

I watched the first half of Eaglestaff vs. Legacy. He struggled shooting and must've shot close to 15 times in the half alone, but he made some great passes to teammates. I can't watch enough of both to make the call but I'm sticking with whoever has the better post season wins Mr. BB.

MaxPreps stats. I assume that the school sends those in, so I would consider them official.

I think Yankton is going to be a legitimate contender. His team does not lose and his numbers are good.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:11 pm

I believe Enderlin uses Hudl stats (someone neutral watches the game and does them) then they post them on MaxPreps.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:31 am

Well after watching Joe run over to the Student section of Oak Grove and start yelling and pointing at kids after the game... no idea what he said. Again my Vote goes to Eaglestaff hands down.
Oak Grove students did Chant out OverRated during the games.... apparently he did not like that.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:46 am

maddog1971 wrote:Well after watching Joe run over to the Student section of Oak Grove and start yelling and pointing at kids after the game... no idea what he said. Again my Vote goes to Eaglestaff hands down.
Oak Grove students did Chant out OverRated during the games.... apparently he did not like that.

Good thing you don’t have a vote.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:55 am

maddog1971 wrote:Well after watching Joe run over to the Student section of Oak Grove and start yelling and pointing at kids after the game... no idea what he said. Again my Vote goes to Eaglestaff hands down.

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

A group of high schools students chanted something with the intention of being rude at another high school student who was playing in a basketball game. The high school student responded to the group of high school students after the game had completed.

The high school student who responded, although you do not know what that student said, should not be Mr. Basketball, because he responded to other high school students after a game.

Have I interpreted your post correctly?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:25 am

balla45 wrote:

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

A group of high schools students chanted something with the intention of being rude at another high school student who was playing in a basketball game. The high school student responded to the group of high school students after the game had completed.

The high school student who responded, although you do not know what that student said, should not be Mr. Basketball, because he responded to other high school students after a game.

Have I interpreted your post correctly?

Pretty bulletproof logic, no? :lol: :lol: :lol:
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:40 pm

You know could have been a friendly chat with a friend too...who knows. Honestly, the opposing students probably deserved the call out but I love the fact that NO MATTER what this kid does, good or bad, you have to find a way to put him, his coach and his team down. He could help an elderly lady cross a street and you'd find a way to point out what he did wrong.

You know what...the kids for the team you support are great kids, coach is very respectable...but it's getting REALLY, REALLY hard to cheer for them to succeed because of your words/actions.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:36 pm

Well I apologize. Apparently it is ok for students and coaches to yell at the crowd. I guess I am old fashion. Yes it is not right for the OG kids to say Overrated either. I would expect more out of Oak Grove. Two wrongs don't make a right. Joe put them on his back and now they have made their first Regional Finals. OG had them on the ropes and Joe just said NOPE not today.
BUT I have always thought that Eaglestaff deserved Mr. Basketball. I think he is a better player. Don't get me wrong I think Joe and Gus are really really good basketball players. I would have loved to coach them. Joe is the best rebounder in the state Ever! Impressive....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:18 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Well I apologize. Apparently it is ok for students and coaches to yell at the crowd. I guess I am old fashion. Yes it is not right for the OG kids to say Overrated either. I would expect more out of Oak Grove. Two wrongs don't make a right. Joe put them on his back and now they have made their first Regional Finals. OG had them on the ropes and Joe just said NOPE not today.
BUT I have always thought that Eaglestaff deserved Mr. Basketball. I think he is a better player. Don't get me wrong I think Joe and Gus are really really good basketball players. I would have loved to coach them. Joe is the best rebounder in the state Ever! Impressive....

Not their first Regional Final...made it in 2015...they've been to State before too.

Also, thanks for the sarcasm-laced message...both are great ball players...no horse in who wins.

Most people seem to expect more from the parochial students but brush away public school students when they do the same thing...shouldn't we want ALL our students to act respectful?? We are all human and make mistakes and have regrets in life (if you don't then you are fooling yourself)

I remember back in 2017 when there were social media posts hoping that OG's bus would crash on the way to State...nothing was ever done; parents and students calling other teams homophobic comments in 2015...nothing was done. Even heard hateful comments directed towards the Kindred girls team this year...nothing was done.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:28 pm

I actually thoroughly enjoyed Joe H.'s reaction to the OG kids. He said his piece, put his team on his back, and rallied his team to victory. OG tried to get in his head and Joe said not today. Joe showed some toughness IMO and I am now more of a fan.

I still have Eaglestaff first for Mr BB. However, Joe really impressed last night and both players have had tremendous seasons. I also see that Beulah lost, it would've been nice to see Brandt at state but now he'll likely finish 3rd or 4th in the voting. I'd still like a few more touches in the paint for Joe H cause he scores every time he's down low.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:49 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Well I apologize. Apparently it is ok for students and coaches to yell at the crowd. I guess I am old fashion. Yes it is not right for the OG kids to say Overrated either. I would expect more out of Oak Grove. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I do not understand your thought process here. I am also not sure what about your thought process is old fashioned.

Imagine you are a high school student playing in a game and a group of people chant that you are overrated. You then win the game. You then, after the game is over, point out the people in the crowd who chanted overrated and say something to them. Did you do anything wrong?

Additionally, later an anonymous individual says you should not be Mr. Basketball because you responded to individuals who chanted that you are overrated, even though that anonymous individual does not know what you said.

Tell me how that makes sense. I do not know why high school athletes should be expected to tolerate disrespect from anyone.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby lennylive » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:13 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:I actually thoroughly enjoyed Joe H.'s reaction to the OG kids. He said his piece, put his team on his back, and rallied his team to victory. OG tried to get in his head and Joe said not today. Joe showed some toughness IMO and I am now more of a fan.

I still have Eaglestaff first for Mr BB. However, Joe really impressed last night and both players have had tremendous seasons. I also see that Beulah lost, it would've been nice to see Brandt at state but now he'll likely finish 3rd or 4th in the voting. I'd still like a few more touches in the paint for Joe H cause he scores every time he's down low.

I was at the game and totally agree The OG student section was harassing Joe alot in that game...After being down..and The Eagles came back and Won Joe spoke his peace. Its called emotions...and I would bet any athlete that was getting harassed as much as he was would do the same. IMO he should win the Mr. BB.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:31 pm

balla45 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Well I apologize. Apparently it is ok for students and coaches to yell at the crowd. I guess I am old fashion. Yes it is not right for the OG kids to say Overrated either. I would expect more out of Oak Grove. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I do not understand your thought process here. I am also not sure what about your thought process if old fashioned.

Imagine you are a high school student playing in a game and a group of people chant that you are overrated. You then win the game. You then, after the game is over, point out the people in the crowd who chanted overrated and say something to them. Did you do anything wrong?

Additionally, later an anonymous individual says you should not be Mr. Basketball because you responded to individuals who chanted that you are overrated, even though that anonymous individual does not know what you said.

Tell me how that makes sense. I do not know why high school athletes should be expected to tolerate disrespect from anyone.

I have been called overrated many times on the basketball court (and at Home, work or general public) but If I would have said anything back or ran to the end of court to yell at the crowd.... first my coach would've stuck his foot in my butt and second my Dad would've kicked my butt when I got home. Different times so different rules... but I still don't like it. IMO

BY the way... wait until he is in College and playing at PAC 10 crowd.... they are 1000 times worse than that!
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:20 pm

I'm sure I'm in the minority opinion, but I don't see anything wrong with the "overrated" chant. I don't know what else was said.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:52 pm

Flip wrote:I'm sure I'm in the minority opinion, but I don't see anything wrong with the "overrated" chant. I don't know what else was said.

Thank you. I hope you’re not in the minority. Our society has become so brainwashed. Very simple. Competition is good. Rivalries are good. Opinions are good. Debate is good. If someone doesn’t agree with your opinion, explain why. There seems to be 2 different camps on this topic. Just because someone doesn’t agree with your opinion, why do you have to say they are hating on them?

There is nothing wrong with chants. There’s nothing wrong with backing you’re team. When they go over the line and use slurs, hatred, etc., then it’s time for parenting and peer pressure to take over. But good Lord, lighten up and allow these kids to have fun. Quit being so over sensitive that the games become robotic.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:58 am

classB4ever wrote:
Flip wrote:I'm sure I'm in the minority opinion, but I don't see anything wrong with the "overrated" chant. I don't know what else was said.

Thank you. I hope you’re not in the minority. Our society has become so brainwashed. Very simple. Competition is good. Rivalries are good. Opinions are good. Debate is good. If someone doesn’t agree with your opinion, explain why. There seems to be 2 different camps on this topic. Just because someone doesn’t agree with your opinion, why do you have to say they are hating on them?

There is nothing wrong with chants. There’s nothing wrong with backing you’re team. When they go over the line and use slurs, hatred, etc., then it’s time for parenting and peer pressure to take over. But good Lord, lighten up and allow these kids to have fun. Quit being so over sensitive that the games become robotic.

I personally do not have a huge issue with an overrated chant. I personally do not have an issue with a player responding after a game about things that were said to that player. I may be in the minority. I am ok with that.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:41 am

Kids chanting overrated at another kid isn't a big deal IMO. It all depends on what line was crossed. If you don't have a problem with a group of high school kids chanting overrated at a player you sure as heck shouldn't have a problem with the player responding to the cheer section AFTER the game.

I don't have an example of this, or know that it's happened but I will assume. If an ADULT yells things at a HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER, that is 100% not ok.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:54 am

The Schwab wrote:If an ADULT yells things at a HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER, that is 100% not ok.

This^^^^^
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bingobangobongo » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:00 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
balla45 wrote:

I do not understand your thought process here. I am also not sure what about your thought process if old fashioned.

I have been called overrated many times on the basketball court (and at Home, work or general public) but If I would have said anything back or ran to the end of court to yell at the crowd.... first my coach would've stuck his foot in my butt and second my Dad would've kicked my butt when I got home. Different times so different rules... but I still don't like it. IMO

BY the way... wait until he is in College and playing at PAC 10 crowd.... they are 1000 times worse than that!

This isn't a recent phenomenon nor is Joe reacting to the crowd a "unicorn" type of event. I would go so far as to say "so what, big deal, who effin cares."

I think the student section/player interactions were more hostile and frequent back in the mid-80's to mid-90's back when I watched my two older brothers play and then when I played. This was small town, central/south-central ND. The venom between these small towns that were 10-30 miles apart was pretty bad. It seems like things are way more gentle now. Co-ops of neighboring schools eliminated many of these very strong, extremely heated, long-time rivalries.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:19 am

Well again I am with all of you that these are high school kids and they will make mistakes but the double bird flipped to the Kindred students after fouling out.... I just don't like. He is a great player but that type of stuff... I just can not get behind.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:03 am

maddog1971 wrote:Well again I am with all of you that these are high school kids and they will make mistakes but the double bird flipped to the Kindred students after fouling out.... I just don't like. He is a great player but that type of stuff... I just can not get behind.

HAHA CLASSIC, I am surprised you aren't still in the ER with your foot up a couple re-ends,. Claiming that you are old school and you and your old man wouldn't allow some things. Now remember these are things all year long that you have bad-mouth other teams on.

Kindred student section chanting every single free throw "pressure pressure", doesnt bother me but you have been mad at other schools for doing similiar actions. No comment at all.

One kid last nights forgets the correct jersey shorts, when they arrive after the start of the game he raises his arms to try get the crowd fired up bc he can finally play. Real old school person woulda sat him for not being locked in ready to play in a Regional Championship.

Second kids, makes a great play and gets a great dunk. After the dunk he head taps and yells right in Enderlin kids face and get a taunting T. You said in your previous post you would have had a "foot in the rear" but guess not.

First thing you come on here and do today is RIP on a kid from the losing team, you are literally what is wrong with HS sports to a "T". So hypercritical is unbelievable.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:48 am

So how much does losing last night hurt Joe's chances for Mr. Basketball? I would bet that a lot of voters in the middle and western part of the state have never seen him play but have seen Eaglestaff play (or at least highlights of him on the local news).
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:49 am

After Olson dunked on Dixon didn't he give him a salute? I thought that should have been a T too.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:33 pm

Only comment I'm going to make on all this is that the officials (statewide and all season) allowed way too much to go on. It was the worst year I can remember in a very long time for reactions by players and coaches to calls/officiating. I watched games from every class, gender, and region this year and it was the same in just about all of them. Every game I watched had massive temper tantrums about calls that weren't warned or given Ts. A majority of calls or no calls received arms up, screaming, whining, etc. from either players or the coach. Sportsman like behavior was no better. Lots of swearing, trash talking, and gesturing at opposing players that wasn't addressed. If I'm not mistaken unsportsmanlike behavior was a point of emphasis for officiating....they must have missed the memo.....

You get what you tolerated and it was the wild west this year for behavior.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:34 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:Only comment I'm going to make on all this is that the officials (statewide and all season) allowed way too much to go on. It was the worst year I can remember in a very long time for reactions by players and coaches to calls/officiating. I watched games from every class, gender, and region this year and it was the same in just about all of them. Every game I watched had massive temper tantrums about calls that weren't warned or given Ts. A majority of calls or no calls received arms up, screaming, whining, etc. from either players or the coach. Sportsman like behavior was no better. Lots of swearing, trash talking, and gesturing at opposing players that wasn't addressed. If I'm not mistaken unsportsmanlike behavior was a point of emphasis for officiating....they must have missed the memo.....

You get what you tolerated and it was the wild west this year for behavior.

^^^ This is spot on
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys