Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Postby Flip » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm

What is the injury?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDPREP » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:14 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Unfortunately, Region 5 & Region 8 are known to be two of the lowest finishing regions at State...no matter who goes; some good years but a lot of poor placing at state

Rumor Mill : Beulah may petition to move to Region 5.

Didn't even know that was a thing you could do...
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:13 pm

NDPREP wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Unfortunately, Region 5 & Region 8 are known to be two of the lowest finishing regions at State...no matter who goes; some good years but a lot of poor placing at state

Yep...a couple of years ago Mandaree petitioned to Region 8 after they were placed in Region 7.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:00 am

Shiloh would have some competition, if Beulah petitioned to join Region 5.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bison football73 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:53 am

WalkingStick wrote:
NDPREP wrote:

Yep...a couple of years ago Mandaree petitioned to Region 8 after they were placed in Region 7.

There's no way Beulah actually moves to Region 5 is there? If they did I'd almost guarantee Hazen would look to move too.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:37 am

bison football73 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
NDPREP wrote:

There's no way Beulah actually moves to Region 5 is there? If they did I'd almost guarantee Hazen would look to move too.

You wouldn't have to...even though by geography they should; they can still play each other as a non-region game. I'd actually think Hazen would be more likely...they already play most of those R5 teams as non-region games anyways

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:17 pm

I don't know why everyone is picking Enderlin in Region1, Kindred is going to be the team to beat in the region for years, Enderlin will not have any depth to keep up.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:35 pm

I honestly do not know if you can petition to move regions, maybe you can. I know that Mandaree in Region 7 didn't work at all, they played no one in the region at the time of the move. I think the state did that to balance out regions (wanted 7 and 8 to each have 13). As far as Beulah petitioning to move to region 5. I could see why they want to. They have to battle Dickinson Trinity every year, and the region tournament is at Dickinson Trinity 95 percent of the time.

Edited to add:

It would also free up some games on their schedule if they were placed in district 9. They would lose 2 games from their schedule (due to playing district tournaments). IMO they wouldn't schedule Heart River, Killdeer, Beach, Hettinger-Scranton, Mott-Regent, New England, Richardton-Taylor and possibly Glen Ullin-Hebron. That gives them 8 games to play with (minus 2 because of districts) gives them 6. They already schedule Shiloh, so they'd have to add Flasher, NSA, SR and Solen to their schedule. Which would leave them the two additional games to schedule tough competition.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:58 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:I don't know why everyone is picking Enderlin in Region1, Kindred is going to be the team to beat in the region for years, Enderlin will not have any depth to keep up.

I agree with you 100%. 1. Kindred 2. Enderlin

Kindred has a great JV program, and they have a couple kids from last year who'll step right in and replace what they lost last year. And, I see them as a more physical team and deeper at guard this coming year than they were last year. Both Kindred & Enderlin will be better than last year, which is scary for the rest of the state.

If I were to pick, I don't think Kindred gets beat in Region play this year. I think someone knocks off Enderlin at some point but they'll likely end up as runner up to Kindred in the final.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:39 pm

The Schwab wrote:Anyone who wants to participate:

You get to name 10 teams. Lets see who gets the most state tournament participants out of their list.

I'll start.

Enderlin, FWM, Shiloh, Rugby, Dickinson Trinity, Powers Lake, Ellendale, Linton HMB, Beulah, North Border

I will play along: Kindred, Hillsboro, Lamoure, Four Winds, Ellendale, Shiloh, Rugby, Beulah, Powers Lake, Trinity
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:38 am

The Schwab wrote:I honestly do not know if you can petition to move regions, maybe you can. I know that Mandaree in Region 7 didn't work at all, they played no one in the region at the time of the move. I think the state did that to balance out regions (wanted 7 and 8 to each have 13). As far as Beulah petitioning to move to region 5. I could see why they want to. They have to battle Dickinson Trinity every year, and the region tournament is at Dickinson Trinity 95 percent of the time.

Edited to add:

It would also free up some games on their schedule if they were placed in district 9. They would lose 2 games from their schedule (due to playing district tournaments). IMO they wouldn't schedule Heart River, Killdeer, Beach, Hettinger-Scranton, Mott-Regent, New England, Richardton-Taylor and possibly Glen Ullin-Hebron. That gives them 8 games to play with (minus 2 because of districts) gives them 6. They already schedule Shiloh, so they'd have to add Flasher, NSA, SR and Solen to their schedule. Which would leave them the two additional games to schedule tough competition.

No more districts for R5…went to super region format this year

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby lennylive » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 am

I think Region 1 will come down to Enderlin vs Kindred...who wins will be determined by who has the least amount of turnovers in the game. Kindred is the more physical team, Enderlin will need to step up and be more aggressive inside...blocking out and not letting Kindred get offensive rebounds will be key.
Enderlin has a tougher season schedule than Kindred, So they will be tried and ready for any kind of team come Tourney time.
Kindred lost some very key players last year on that Championship team... Enderlin lost 1 starter and 1 bench player.. They have 3 JV players that will fill those shoes. Kindred has a deeper bench, so if it comes down to foul trouble...Kindred has the edge. I think Enderlin has a better shooting team both from the field and from the line. They have the height advantage, and will need to figure out how to use that advantage against a physical Vikings team.
If Both teams play their best game..I say Enderlin wins...but its going to be a VERY close game.

Whomever goes to state from R1 will be the favorite to win it all.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:31 am

WalkingStick wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I honestly do not know if you can petition to move regions, maybe you can. I know that Mandaree in Region 7 didn't work at all, they played no one in the region at the time of the move. I think the state did that to balance out regions (wanted 7 and 8 to each have 13). As far as Beulah petitioning to move to region 5. I could see why they want to. They have to battle Dickinson Trinity every year, and the region tournament is at Dickinson Trinity 95 percent of the time.

Edited to add:

I was unaware of this as it still has R5 broken up into districts on NDHSAA. The only way I can see Beulah wanting to make this move then is to avoid playing Trinity on Trinity's home floor in the regional tournament. Their schedule would be weaker as R7 is usually stronger than R5
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby pastflyer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:44 am

Flip wrote:What is the injury?

Torn ACL. Happened in the 6 man football championship game.
pastflyer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sorenson23 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:42 pm

Yeah they announced it after the conclusion of the District 10 Championship Game last year, that they were moving to a super region next year.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:42 pm

The Schwab wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

Edited to add:

I was unaware of this as it still has R5 broken up into districts on NDHSAA. The only way I can see Beulah wanting to make this move then is to avoid playing Trinity on Trinity's home floor in the regional tournament. Their schedule would be weaker as R7 is usually stronger than R5

I only remembered after seeing the Hoopster rankings for the region this year

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tigertown35 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:Anyone who wants to participate:

You get to name 10 teams. Lets see who gets the most state tournament participants out of their list.

I'll start.

Enderlin, FWM, Shiloh, Rugby, Dickinson Trinity, Powers Lake, Ellendale, Linton HMB, Beulah, North Border

Im a little late but want to play along too, Ill go with

Kindred, Hillsboro, Ellendale, Lamoure, Dunseith, FWM, Shiloh, Ryan, Beulah, and my way out of left field wildcard for region 8...New Town
tigertown35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:14 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
What does Powers Lake bring back to the court. Enget? Very good player but he will not be able to lead them back to state himself. He has other role players that play hard and they are very well coached. I hope I am wrong and I hope they do make it back to state this year

ALSO HCV will be a very good team but I don't think they are top 10 in the state right now.

If you were to put a number on both teams, where do you rank them?

HCV 12 and Powers Lake 20

I was way off on HCV... they are a top 5 team for sure. I forgot about a few of their bigger players that have filled out. Those kids look like they have been living in the weight room.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:31 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
What does Powers Lake bring back to the court. Enget? Very good player but he will not be able to lead them back to state himself. He has other role players that play hard and they are very well coached. I hope I am wrong and I hope they do make it back to state this year

ALSO HCV will be a very good team but I don't think they are top 10 in the state right now.

I was way off on HCV... they are a top 5 team for sure. I forgot about a few of their bigger players that have filled out. Those kids look like they have been living in the weight room.

They just really earn it over there!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:31 pm

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:37 am

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Yes they do. One look at that team and you can tell those kids put time in in the weight room, in the gym and on the field.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Well after seeing some games the first weekend I would change my region 3 pick. I don't think Linton-HMB will be playing in the region title game. I'm also probably wrong on Rugby as well in 6
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:45 pm

IMHO - Enderlin should finish this year undefeated and probably only tested a few games (10-15 points) if some things happen:
1. They have to play base offense and defense with their bigs in the paint. If it means going with 2 or 3 base zone and match up man with guards on perimeter, so be it. They should completely control the paint on offense and defense in ND Class B basketball. They can't afford to have their bigs going outside playing man and then trailing plays defensively on drives to the rim. If they are waiting in or near the paint and can play vertical defense instead of chase defense, teams will have to shoot such an incredible percentage to beat them, just don't think it's possible. Not to mention the constant altering of shots. Throw in the fact they are now in natural rebounding position, and there won't be a lot of second shot attempts against them. Plus, should get a lot of transition points just from their length and ability to outlet from the rebound.

2. Can't have any bad injuries.

3. They play to win the Class B state championship and not audition for college. Harsh, I know, but reality. We all know how talented this team can be. This year they need to prove it. Could be 1 of the all time great Class B teams if it all works out.

Good luck to all teams and have a great and injury free year.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:58 pm

Very intriguing Non-North Dakota games on the schedule this year:
December 18th: vs. Byron, MN in a shootout in the Cities
December 30th: vs. Canton, SD @ Sanford Pentagon (one day after playing Beulah in Minot)
January 15th: vs. Morris Area, MN in a shootout in the Cities

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:06 pm

classB4ever wrote:IMHO - Enderlin should finish this year undefeated and probably only tested a few games (10-15 points) if some things happen:
1. They have to play base offense and defense with their bigs in the paint. If it means going with 2 or 3 base zone and match up man with guards on perimeter, so be it. They should completely control the paint on offense and defense in ND Class B basketball. They can't afford to have their bigs going outside playing man and then trailing plays defensively on drives to the rim. If they are waiting in or near the paint and can play vertical defense instead of chase defense, teams will have to shoot such an incredible percentage to beat them, just don't think it's possible. Not to mention the constant altering of shots. Throw in the fact they are now in natural rebounding position, and there won't be a lot of second shot attempts against them. Plus, should get a lot of transition points just from their length and ability to outlet from the rebound.

2. Can't have any bad injuries.

3. They play to win the Class B state championship and not audition for college. Harsh, I know, but reality. We all know how talented this team can be. This year they need to prove it. Could be 1 of the all time great Class B teams if it all works out.

Good luck to all teams and have a great and injury free year.

You're either onto something or on something! I agree with your assessment about defense. With their bigs clogging the lane it will be difficult to finish drives and they should absolutely dominate the boards on that end. Will be interesting watch this Region play out this year - as it usually is!
Last edited by Sportsrube on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys