Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Hoopster Pre-season Top 40

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:14 pm

This is my favorite time of year. Everyone talks about how great Enderlin is if there bigs play big and they have a great year shooting 3 pointers and then they get on a big floor and get run out of the gym.
YES I completely agree they have the size and skill level to win every game but do they have the coaching and attitude to win it all..... Team comes first... and I have not seen them play team comes first ever. a team like the Grovers will run them into the ground with a bunch of 5'8 kids on a big floor.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:16 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Very intriguing Non-North Dakota games on the schedule this year:
December 18th: vs. Byron, MN in a shootout in the Cities
December 30th: vs. Canton, SD @ Sanford Pentagon (one day after playing Beulah in Minot)
January 15th: vs. Morris Area, MN in a shootout in the Cities

FWIW - Was referring to ND class b play in my original post.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:39 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Very intriguing Non-North Dakota games on the schedule this year:
December 30th: vs. Canton, SD @ Sanford Pentagon (one day after playing Beulah in Minot)

The two Minnesota schools are pretty solid every year. I was hoping they'd pair them up against a stronger team in the Pentagon shootout.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND Basketball Fan » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:58 pm

The Schwab wrote:

The two Minnesota schools are pretty solid every year. I was hoping they'd pair them up against a stronger team in the Pentagon shootout.

Byron has a strong team every year. This will be an intriguing game to see how Enderlin does. I think their lack of depth will end up hurting them in this one however.
ND Basketball Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:00 pm

classB4ever wrote:

FWIW - Was referring to ND class b play in my original post.

This wasn't necessarily directed to your post, but I definitely could see them falter in any of those games. But the non-region games are the ones that are to prepare you for the home stretch and the postseason.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:07 pm

ND Basketball Fan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Byron has a strong team every year. This will be an intriguing game to see how Enderlin does. I think their lack of depth will end up hurting them in this one however.

I agree with you for sure on the Byron team, Morris is very good as well. Canton seems to be middle of the road in the middle class in SD, that was the matchup I was referring to.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:10 pm

Schedule for December 30th @ Sanford Pentagon
https://www.sanfordsports.com/event/show/492303310

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:26 pm

Morris, MN (Class AA) is 5-0 right now (They were a state qualifier last year)
Byron, MN (Class AAA) is 4-1 right now...just lost to AAAA Buffalo (They were a state qualifier last year).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:27 am

The Schwab wrote:

Decent chance they lose all three. They play the day before each game.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby lennylive » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:36 am

never been a fan of any team playing outside of the state...for what reason....scheduling???.. yes I understand that its competition, but isnt there enough competition in our own state?

Whatever happened to playing the teams in your district and/or region twice? a game at each teams home court?.. to me that would show who may be the better team ... Enderlin would have just as much competition playing Kindred, Casselton, OG, and CC twice versus playing a team in timbuktu that has no meaning whatsoever on how you stack up against the other teams in the state. Heck I would like to see them play 4WM twice...or HCV...

Anyway ...a good game last night, but Eagles had once again...to many costly turnovers.
Kindred ,lost to #7 HCV..
So once again the ranking things means absolutely nothing.... if you dont win your Region and go to state...you can be #1 all year and it wont matter if u dont make it to the show,
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:41 am

I guess I see the benefit in playing tough out of state teams. Playing teams with different styles helps prepare you for a whole set of things you might see come tournament time.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:16 pm

The Schwab wrote:I guess I see the benefit in playing tough out of state teams. Playing teams with different styles helps prepare you for a whole set of things you might see come tournament time.
No shot clock in Minnesota at present. Changes the game significantly, or could. I don't know about SD.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:27 pm

leroybla wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I guess I see the benefit in playing tough out of state teams. Playing teams with different styles helps prepare you for a whole set of things you might see come tournament time.
No shot clock in Minnesota at present. Changes the game significantly, or could. I don't know about SD.

SD has a shot clock, definitely could change the game. I guess I don't see anything wrong with scheduling tough teams and playing out of state. Road trips generally build chemistry and bring your team closer together.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:30 pm

leroybla wrote:

Some of these shootouts may use it though; if the facility has it and if both teams want to use it.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby justplayalready » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:36 pm

Whatever happened to playing the teams in your district and/or region twice? a game at each teams home court?.. to me that would show who may be the better team ... Enderlin would have just as much competition playing Kindred, Casselton, OG, and CC twice versus playing a team in timbuktu that has no meaning whatsoever on how you stack up against the other teams in the state. Heck I would like to see them play 4WM twice...or HCV...

Class B has become so "parity-less" that the top 30 -40 teams have no business playing the other 60...district or region teams included...I'd argue that a team like Enderlin hasn't made it out of R1, is that they are forced to play R1 teams...I'd trade my 50 point wins for good wins or close losses against real competition
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:58 pm

justplayalready wrote:Whatever happened to playing the teams in your district and/or region twice? a game at each teams home court?.. to me that would show who may be the better team ... Enderlin would have just as much competition playing Kindred, Casselton, OG, and CC twice versus playing a team in timbuktu that has no meaning whatsoever on how you stack up against the other teams in the state. Heck I would like to see them play 4WM twice...or HCV...

Class B has become so "parity-less" that the top 30 -40 teams have no business playing the other 60...district or region teams included...I'd argue that a team like Enderlin hasn't made it out of R1, is that they are forced to play R1 teams...I'd trade my 50 point wins for good wins or close losses against real competition

Many of the top Region 1 & 2 teams have started scheduling nearby MN teams; DGF, Barnesville, Park Christian, Perham, Hawley, Pelican Rapids, Wheaton/Herman-Nocross, Park Rapids, Ada-Borup West, Stephen/Argyle, EGF Sacred Heart. Those teams are always looking for closer and different opponents; some of the MN teams wanted to come play in ND as they wanted to experience the shot clock.

Why would Kindred/CC/NC/OG play Enderlin or Richland or Lisbon twice if they can play a HCV, Thompson, Shiloh, Beulah, FW-M, area MN Team that will challenge them more with different styles? Why would you potentially want to play a team 3 times in a season (postseason included) when you can play someone different or play in a shootout??

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BelfieldBantams » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:58 pm

I definitely see the benefit of playing these different teams from out of state. The main issues I have with it is kids should be in school. A long bus ride on a school night does not help the educational process. It's an issue in all sports, not just basketball. State semi-final football two years in a row Bowman has monster bus rides and misses the entire day of school on Friday. 2nd issue I have is most of the budget comes from tax payer money. Why are we using tax money to send kids all over the place to play sports? Now if it is fundraised (Enderlin has done that in the past for baseball) then that's a different story. But if not, then it should be looked at.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:06 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:

I definitely see the benefit of playing these different teams from out of state. The main issues I have with it is kids should be in school. A long bus ride on a school night does not help the educational process. It's an issue in all sports, not just basketball. State semi-final football two years in a row Bowman has monster bus rides and misses the entire day of school on Friday. 2nd issue I have is most of the budget comes from tax payer money. Why are we using tax money to send kids all over the place to play sports? Now if it is fundraised (Enderlin has done that in the past for baseball) then that's a different story. But if not, then it should be looked at.

This is about the lamest post I have ever seen on this board.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:33 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:

Actually schools receive approximately 2/3's of their budget from state foundation aid, followed by about 30% from tax money, with the remaining 5-10% federal dollars, etc.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby lennylive » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:28 pm

I looked at the schedules of alot of teams..and only a few are playing out of state teams..and those games arent 3-5 hours away. Class A doesnt play out of state.. they play each other twice.. dont even venture to the other side of the state to find a team to compete against...
I just think that it would be more beneficial to play in-state competition that you may end up playing at state.
JMO... you dont need a long bus ride to get comaraderie ... that should happen at school, practice, etc etc
There is nothing wrong with going out of state to play a different style of team...I just know there are several teams in ND within a 3 hour drive that could give just as much competition is all.
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:00 pm

maddog1971 wrote:This is my favorite time of year. Everyone talks about how great Enderlin is if there bigs play big and they have a great year shooting 3 pointers and then they get on a big floor and get run out of the gym.
YES I completely agree they have the size and skill level to win every game but do they have the coaching and attitude to win it all..... Team comes first... and I have not seen them play team comes first ever. a team like the Grovers will run them into the ground with a bunch of 5'8 kids on a big floor.

I agree with alot of what you said here. The last 3 years, everyone has had Enderlin as #1 coming into the season and why?!? Just because they have big guys, it obviously hasn't done them any good the last couple years. I have not been impressed at all by their type of play and coaching style. Maybe this year will prove me wrong but I don't see them making it to state, once again.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:03 pm

lennylive wrote:I looked at the schedules of alot of teams..and only a few are playing out of state teams..and those games arent 3-5 hours away. Class A doesnt play out of state.. they play each other twice.. dont even venture to the other side of the state to find a team to compete against...
I just think that it would be more beneficial to play in-state competition that you may end up playing at state.
JMO... you dont need a long bus ride to get comaraderie ... that should happen at school, practice, etc etc
There is nothing wrong with going out of state to play a different style of team...I just know there are several teams in ND within a 3 hour drive that could give just as much competition is all.

Games like what Enderlin will have with Byron, Morris & Canton are once-in-a-lifetime shootout type games.
I doubt they will ever play teams like this again. A little travel never hurt anyone...and sometimes other school's schedules don't work out so you have to broaden the horizons a bit.

I commend Enderlin's coach for putting together a quality schedule of new, different teams and placing some challenges. Got to learn to play on back-to-back days if you want to play at State where it is back-to-back-to-back days/nights

No offense to these schools...but why would Enderlin want to schedule home-and-homes with region schools like Richland and Lisbon when you can challenge yourself more with quality teams like Morris & Byron. Now I get...the game with Morris could have been played closer to home then to travel to the Cities.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:29 pm

Just some context on the 3 out of state games that Enderlin plays.

Byron features 6'9" Ahjany Lee. At one point he had a Kansas offer and he is committed to St. Thomas.
Morris Area features 6'8" Jackson Loge. At one point he had offers from UND and Toledo, and he is committed to Augustana.
Canton features 6'8" junior Jacob Vande Weerd. I understand he is getting NAIA and Division 2 looks.

It would be challenging to find 3 North Dakota teams with quality 6'8" - 6'9" bigs. I would argue that it would be impossible to replicate that against ND teams without convincing the Class A schools to all do it. The Enderlin coaching staff also did a nice job in securing a scrimmage against Bismarck and Treysen Eaglestaff.

I have no idea if Enderlin will or will not win state this season. I feel envious of any person who got to watch Four Winds @ Enderlin in person.

Four Winds has so much offensive fire power and team speed, and wow are there some athletes. Deng Deng is super impressive athletically and I imagine he will have a plethora of schools going after him the next few years. Wow is Deng impressive. Yankton really stands out with his ability to score. Pearson and Left Bear are nice slashers and play makers.

Joe Hurlburt is a generational talent and I think he has a legitimate shot of playing in the NBA at some point in his life. Brian Qvale got very close and his skillset as a senior in high school was no where near the skillset that Joe utilizes.

What I loved about this game is all the "studs" showed up and did their thing and it was a battle to the last minute.

I think it says a lot for the depth and talent of Class B basketball that some of the generational talents it has produced are not even able to make it to the state tournament, most recently I would use Austin Dufault as this example.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:38 pm

balla45 wrote:Just some context on the 3 out of state games that Enderlin plays.

Byron features 6'9" Ahjany Lee. At one point he had a Kansas offer and he is committed to St. Thomas.
Morris Area features 6'8" Jackson Loge. At one point he had offers from UND and Toledo, and he is committed to Augustana.
Canton features 6'8" junior Jacob Vande Weerd. I understand he is getting NAIA and Division 2 looks.

It would be challenging to find 3 North Dakota teams with quality 6'8" - 6'9" bigs. I would argue that it would be impossible to replicate that against ND teams without convincing the Class A schools to all do it. The Enderlin coaching staff also did a nice job in securing a scrimmage against Bismarck and Treysen Eaglestaff.

I have no idea if Enderlin will or will not win state this season. I feel envious of any person who got to watch Four Winds @ Enderlin in person.

Four Winds has so much offensive fire power and team speed, and wow are there some athletes. Deng Deng is super impressive athletically and I imagine he will have a plethora of schools going after him the next few years. Wow is Deng impressive. Yankton really stands out with his ability to score. Pearson and Left Bear are nice slashers and play makers.

Joe Hurlburt is a generational talent and I think he has a legitimate shot of playing in the NBA at some point in his life. Brian Qvale got very close and his skillset as a senior in high school was no where near the skillset that Joe utilizes.

What I loved about this game is all the "studs" showed up and did their thing and it was a battle to the last minute.

I think it says a lot for the depth and talent of Class B basketball that some of the generational talents it has produced are not even able to make it to the state tournament, most recently I would use Austin Dufault as this example.

I agree 110% with this post
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:16 pm

justplayalready wrote:Whatever happened to playing the teams in your district and/or region twice? a game at each teams home court?.. to me that would show who may be the better team ... Enderlin would have just as much competition playing Kindred, Casselton, OG, and CC twice versus playing a team in timbuktu that has no meaning whatsoever on how you stack up against the other teams in the state. Heck I would like to see them play 4WM twice...or HCV...

I think it is a little bit cyclical and is coming back around. If you go look at teams in region 2 (the region I follow most closely), there are quite a few teams that play home and away games vs. the same team. I believe at one point there was an agreement between what used to be the two districts in region 2 that they would play those district teams twice a year. The top teams in class b are going more toward a state wide schedule in an effort to get more competitive games because the discrepancy between top teams in the region and bottom is so large. The teams not in the top 3 or 4 of their region are going back to 2 games vs. one opponent in an effort to find competitive games and lower travel. A huge part of the problem is the difference between top and bottom. Why would these teams that are winning 3 or 4 (or less) games a year want to play HCV, Beulah, Thompson, Kindred, Grafton, 4 Winds, etc. a 2nd time even if it is close or an old rivalry or whatever??? Some of the top schools recently have also really made a game of running up scores too, which has led to some schools that have played twice a year FOREVER pull out of the 2nd game. Games that could end 60 to 30 or 50 to 20 are being run up to 90 something to less than 20...but that is a different topic of conversation.....
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys