Funny Basketball Stories thread

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Funny Basketball Stories thread

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Does anyone on this board have any funny stories about things that have happened while coaching, officiating, playing, or watching games over the years? Anytime I sit with people that have coached or reffed, they seem to have the funniest stories about things fans, parents, players, or colleagues have said to them during a game or practice. Just wanted to get a topic going for people to share funny anecdotes they've experienced or heard from someone else.

I'm sure plenty have a story of stopping a game at the youth level and handing their whistle to the fan who is extremely passionate and vocal about 3 second violations. A coach once shared a story with me about a funny one-line after calling a time-out. When the referee asked him if he wanted a full or 30 he said, "I don't know, I called it for you so take as much time as you need!"
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Re: Funny Basketball Stories thread

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm

Quite a few years ago I had a friend who was coaching GBB. His daughter was a 9th grader and made Varsity (deservedly so) but there was a Jr girl who did not. (The Jr never came to open gyms, never touched a ball in the off season, etc...) The mom of the Jr was on my friend constantly about why his daughter (let's call her Susy) was on Varsity and hers wasn't. He had told her numerous times about the open gym attendance, off season work, etc... (anyone who watched them play knew why) After they had beat us one night we were standing in the hallway talking and here comes the mom and she was not happy. She starts in on it again and my friend explains it again and she says "You've said that a million times and I've told you it's BS, if you give me one GOOD reason why your daughter made Varsity over my daughter I will drop it!" My friend looked at her and said "maybe it's because I'm sleeping with Susy's mom. I about spit a mouthful of Coke all over the hallway, but the mom walked away and never brought it up again!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ballaholic#3 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:55 pm

That’s a good story. Two hand me downs from my old man.

1. My dad was coaching in early 80s during the beginning of a rebuilding year. The first game of the season, the starting PG was a freshman who understandably was nervous. The game began and the freshman turned it over on a pass for a layup. Next possession. Same thing. My dad calls timeout and says “(Name), you know we’re wearing white tonight, right?” Kid went on to have a pretty solid career.
2. Another story comes from when my dad’s coach was playing HS ball so this was way back. So my dad’s coach was in a game got a rebound and dribbled it up the court and shot a jump shot. His coach called timeout, benched the kid, and said “Son, there’s no place for that in this game!”
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:18 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:That’s a good story. Two hand me downs from my old man.

1. My dad was coaching in early 80s during the beginning of a rebuilding year. The first game of the season, the starting PG was a freshman who understandably was nervous. The game began and the freshman turned it over on a pass for a layup. Next possession. Same thing. My dad calls timeout and says “(Name), you know we’re wearing white tonight, right?” Kid went on to have a pretty solid career.
2. Another story comes from when my dad’s coach was playing HS ball so this was way back. So my dad’s coach was in a game got a rebound and dribbled it up the court and shot a jump shot. His coach called timeout, benched the kid, and said “Son, there’s no place for that in this game!”

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:44 am

I don't know if this is Funny but its a true Class B ND Basketball story

The game took place in the early 80's, about 1982 I would say
the game was in Border Central (calvin/sarles) vs Milton/Osnabrock
very competitive close game, border central had Nickerson, Rompho (before he left for Langdon) a Short kid (but he was tall and strong)
M-O player was called for toe on the FT line 2 times down the stretch by the same Ref
M-O won in OT but OT wouldn't have happened had those 2 calls been made
his Toe was not on the line....
in the locker room the players went to shower and that ref was already showering in their locker room (sorta weird) he said to the Player "you have to work on not putting your tow on the FT line"
kid said "I'll go to my grave knowing it wasn't" hahah!
only in Class B ND
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys