2019-2020 ALL-STATE TEAM

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2019-2020 ALL-STATE TEAM

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:34 pm

packers21 wrote:
balla45 wrote:Fully agree that he was deserving. Just was stating how I would have voted. There are currently 0 sports so this is entertaining conversation.

Not much else to do

Crockett will make it next year along with J. Hurlburt

Keller has a chance to make it...very good player - mid-range game has improved.

Swenson will be a sleeper pick
**Went 'missing' in a few too many games this past season...mid-season lull
----has the capability to be a 20 point, 10 rebound, 4-5 assist, 3 blocks per game player next year
2019-20: 18.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2.2 apg & 2.8 bpg
---10-12 team that played top school from AZ & MN along with Beulah, Trinity, Shiloh, FW-M & Region 1

hoophoophoop wrote:I could really get you going if want, enderlin kid is probably 5th best player in region 1 but made all state. Get you steamming now.

Hard to argue with his stats: 21.2 ppg, 15.0 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.5 bpg (most teams didn't try to go at him because of the size) 77% FT%, 38% 3P% (good for a big man), 58% 2P%
Helped lead team to a #2 finish in a tough Region 1 and a 18-3 overall record

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions though...problem is many of us only see these players when they play our own teams so we don't see every game...makes voting on these types of things difficult.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:39 pm

Not arguing his stats, just saying hes around the 5th best player in Region 1, should put up huge stats when 6'10, he will be a monster the next couple years, they could have waited one more year.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:00 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Not arguing his stats, just saying hes around the 5th best player in Region 1, should put up huge stats when 6'10, he will be a monster the next couple years, they could have waited one more year.

I agree in the fact i wish they would of waited 1 more year for him to get it (I want to see him work a little harder) hes absolute game changer I think he’s top 3 in the region. Myers, Crockett, J. Hurburt. IMO
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Size is an asset in basketball.

Who do you feel are the 4 players that are better? Does their team success and individual success back your claim?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:50 am

Who Votes
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 am

winner-within wrote:Who Votes

Media
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:30 am

I should have stayed in Radio
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:52 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:Who Votes

Media

To be clearer: NDAPSSA Members (1 voter per Member station/paper/site)

https://ndapssa.com/index.cfm?page=members
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Mayville gets 3 votes or 1?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:03 pm

Flip wrote:Mayville gets 3 votes or 1?

KMAV gets a Vote
KMSR gets a Vote
Traill County Tribune gets a Vote

On a weekly basis for polls not all 31 possible voters actually vote though...an average is usually 15-20 from what I’ve noticed
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:57 pm

when are they doing class B senior of the year?
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Assuming by the way the votes went for Mr. Basketball Hennningsgard going to win it anyway.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:44 pm

Name one player on either team (1st or second) that could not play as an 8th Grader because the AD said....when many of the Class of 2020 played some Class B Varsity Ball in 8th grade
then Started every game all 4 years on Varsity even with 3 transfer starters that moved in, 2 being Class of 2019 and 1 Class of 2018
Starts his Senior year with 998 points finishes the season with 1400....Had, I believe, the Highest scoring game in the State Class A & B, 45 points (ties school record with 10 3's) no media
(2 Media Outlets GF Herald and WDAY were contacted to do a Story about his first bucket being his 1,000 point and nobody responded, I'll add since WDAZ is gone, its a Joke up in the NE corner)....
All region 3 times? Soph, Jr, Sr
1400 points
averaged a Double Double (rebounds and points) for his career
100 Blocks Senior year
close to 1,000 rebounds career
many many steals and assists
I don't know the criteria for making All-State team but I think it needs a new format....

I want to Congratulate the Players that made the teams...
I want to say that I feel deeply for the Teams, Towns and Schools that made State and then had it canceled.
we are witnessing History in the making and you are all part of it...
once again (no bias) the Class of 2020 had some Ballers, maybe the best string since the beginning of it all, and it was going to be one HeII of a Tourney
I wish them all the Best in whatever they forward the young lives in :) Keep that Fire Burning
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:09 pm

scc wrote:Coaches are given the chance to rank players in the region. Those rankings help determine who gets pushed for All-State by the media.

This is not true in all regions
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:21 pm

scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:
scc wrote:Coaches are given the chance to rank players in the region. Those rankings help determine who gets pushed for All-State by the media.

It's true for regions 1-3 and 6-8, if not more.

Are coaches allowed to vote for their own players ?
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:40 pm

scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:
scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:

It's true for regions 1-3 and 6-8, if not more.

Are coaches allowed to vote for their own players ?

No

To me they should be allowed to vote for their own. I also think it should be stated a little more clearly you should rank players in the order that you want in the region. Region 3 must have some very pushy media !
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 pm

winner-within wrote:Name one player on either team (1st or second) that could not play as an 8th Grader because the AD said....when many of the Class of 2020 played some Class B Varsity Ball in 8th grade
then Started every game all 4 years on Varsity even with 3 transfer starters that moved in, 2 being Class of 2019 and 1 Class of 2018
Starts his Senior year with 998 points finishes the season with 1400....Had, I believe, the Highest scoring game in the State Class A & B, 45 points (ties school record with 10 3's) no media
(2 Media Outlets GF Herald and WDAY were contacted to do a Story about his first bucket being his 1,000 point and nobody responded, I'll add since WDAZ is gone, its a Joke up in the NE corner)....
1400 points
100 Blocks Senior year
I don't know the criteria for making All-State team but I think it needs a new format....

I want to say that I feel deeply for the Teams, Towns and Schools that made State and then had it canceled.
once again (no bias) the Class of 2020 had some Ballers, maybe the best string since the beginning of it all, and it was going to be one HeII of a Tourney
I wish them all the Best in whatever they forward the young lives in :) Keep that Fire Burning
Who is this player that was overlooked?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:01 pm

KMAV gets a Vote
KMSR gets a Vote

WEEKLY newspapers get to vote on the All-State teams?
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:12 pm

Wilbur wrote:KMAV gets a Vote
KMSR gets a Vote

WEEKLY newspapers get to vote on the All-State teams?

my guess is if you're a NDAPSSA member you get a vote. Tell Tony to start paying that membership so he can start voting on all state.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:20 pm

Who's Tony, and how does that pertain to me?
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:24 am

Good discussion. As mentioned, the world of sports is stone silent so I'll add my thoughts. I get around to many games and got to see the bulk of these kids. The only all-staters I DIDN'T see in person are: Schumacher from Linton, Swanson from Beach, White from White Shield.

First off, EVERY kid who made the team is deserving. Are their other kids maybe more deserving? Possibly. Are their kids who DIDN'T make the team that ARE deserving? For sure. So here goes:

Region 1: Myers - saw him play twice. One very average game, 1 very good one. Very good player. Could argue about him being a repeat second teamer, but no real issue with him on the first team He's solid.

Hurlburt - saw him play twice. Another really good player. Lots has been discussed about the amount of time spent on the perimeter. I'd tend to agree, but I only saw the kid play twice and have no idea about the goings on in practice, etc. Was it a jump to name him all-state? Maybe - but he probably has the most upside of everyone on the list.

Freier - saw him play 3 times. 1 time lights out, other 2 good. Versatile, when he's hot he won't won't miss.
Best player on a very solid KIndred team.

To me, the kid from Region 1 I'd have had on the team that didn't make it was Crockett from NC. He's the real deal. Saw him play 3 times, - once lights out, once good, once average. He IMO is the biggest omission from the team in the state.

Region 2:
Henningsgard - no brainer. Solid at all facets. Probably the best all around Class b player this year.
Thorsgaard - saw him play 4 times. Best player on the #2 ranked team for the latter half of the year that surprisingly got buzz sawed by HCV (figured they'd lose, didn't see it being that big). Second best player in region 2 IMO.
IMO the media got region two correct this year. My next pick would be Garza from Grafton. Did a lot with a team that basically started over and got 3rd in the region, 3rd most wins from a region 2 team.

Region 3:
Nelson - saw him play twice. Not much around him. Put him on a team with some better guard play and he's a beast. The best player on about every team in the state besides a few. Could have been a repeat second teamer but I have no issues with him being first team.
Wagner - saw him play once. Top 5 post in the state IMO. Maybe a jump to put him on as a sophmore, but he's good.
Schumacher - never saw him. Good looking numbers.

Region 4:
Yankton- best player on the top rated team in state. Saw him 3 times. Legit - missed a game or two because of suspension, maybe why not a first teamer?
Belquist - saw him 3 times. Superior athlete - FB guy first. Played consistantly good all times I saw him play. Numbers don't pop, but he did things defensively that don't show up on a stat sheet.

I could have seen Walters getting on. Game changer with the size.

Region 5:
Mitzel - no brainer. Next best kid after Henningsgard IMO. Saw him 3 times.
Media got this region right IMO.

Region 6:
Hamilton - real deal. Best kid on a really good Rugby team. No brainer.

Region 7:
Brandt - the engine of a good Buelah team. Saw him once. A reach as a sophomore? Maybe - but the best kid on that tough team.

As mentioned, I didn't see the remaining guys. I watch a pile of region 1, 2, 3 and 4, some 5 and 6, basically no 7 and 8.

My opinions. THOUGHTS?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:37 am

Great breakdown Flying Wallenda. Congrats to all players who made the team and all are very deserving. I felt Region 2 and 4 might have been toughest regions in state and may have been a bit under represented. Here are a few more players from Region 2 and 4 who haven't been mentioned but had good year/careers:

Region 2: Andre Carrier of Cavalier is a very good athlete and had a stellar career.
Region 4: Tyler Loe of Dakota Prairie can light it up. Bradley Defender of St. John has been a rock for Woodchucks for years.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:16 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:Good discussion. As mentioned, the world of sports is stone silent so I'll add my thoughts. I get around to many games and got to see the bulk of these kids. The only all-staters I DIDN'T see in person are: Schumacher from Linton, Swanson from Beach, White from White Shield.

First off, EVERY kid who made the team is deserving. Are their other kids maybe more deserving? Possibly. Are their kids who DIDN'T make the team that ARE deserving? For sure. So here goes:

Region 1: Myers - saw him play twice. One very average game, 1 very good one. Very good player. Could argue about him being a repeat second teamer, but no real issue with him on the first team He's solid.

Hurlburt - saw him play twice. Another really good player. Lots has been discussed about the amount of time spent on the perimeter. I'd tend to agree, but I only saw the kid play twice and have no idea about the goings on in practice, etc. Was it a jump to name him all-state? Maybe - but he probably has the most upside of everyone on the list.

Freier - saw him play 3 times. 1 time lights out, other 2 good. Versatile, when he's hot he won't won't miss.
Best player on a very solid KIndred team.

To me, the kid from Region 1 I'd have had on the team that didn't make it was Crockett from NC. He's the real deal. Saw him play 3 times, - once lights out, once good, once average. He IMO is the biggest omission from the team in the state.

Region 2:
Henningsgard - no brainer. Solid at all facets. Probably the best all around Class b player this year.
Thorsgaard - saw him play 4 times. Best player on the #2 ranked team for the latter half of the year that surprisingly got buzz sawed by HCV (figured they'd lose, didn't see it being that big). Second best player in region 2 IMO.
IMO the media got region two correct this year. My next pick would be Garza from Grafton. Did a lot with a team that basically started over and got 3rd in the region, 3rd most wins from a region 2 team.

Region 3:
Nelson - saw him play twice. Not much around him. Put him on a team with some better guard play and he's a beast. The best player on about every team in the state besides a few. Could have been a repeat second teamer but I have no issues with him being first team.
Wagner - saw him play once. Top 5 post in the state IMO. Maybe a jump to put him on as a sophmore, but he's good.
Schumacher - never saw him. Good looking numbers.

Region 4:
Yankton- best player on the top rated team in state. Saw him 3 times. Legit - missed a game or two because of suspension, maybe why not a first teamer?
Belquist - saw him 3 times. Superior athlete - FB guy first. Played consistantly good all times I saw him play. Numbers don't pop, but he did things defensively that don't show up on a stat sheet.

I could have seen Walters getting on. Game changer with the size.

Region 5:
Mitzel - no brainer. Next best kid after Henningsgard IMO. Saw him 3 times.
Media got this region right IMO.

Region 6:
Hamilton - real deal. Best kid on a really good Rugby team. No brainer.

Region 7:
Brandt - the engine of a good Buelah team. Saw him once. A reach as a sophomore? Maybe - but the best kid on that tough team.

As mentioned, I didn't see the remaining guys. I watch a pile of region 1, 2, 3 and 4, some 5 and 6, basically no 7 and 8.

My opinions. THOUGHTS?

Agree with most of this content.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:17 pm

classB4ever wrote:Great breakdown Flying Wallenda. Congrats to all players who made the team and all are very deserving. I felt Region 2 and 4 might have been toughest regions in state and may have been a bit under represented. Here are a few more players from Region 2 and 4 who haven't been mentioned but had good year/careers:

Region 2: Andre Carrier of Cavalier is a very good athlete and had a stellar career.
Region 4: Tyler Loe of Dakota Prairie can light it up. Bradley Defender of St. John has been a rock for Woodchucks for years.

Few of these guys were mentioned earlier.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 am

leroybla wrote:
winner-within wrote:Name one player on either team (1st or second) that could not play as an 8th Grader because the AD said....when many of the Class of 2020 played some Class B Varsity Ball in 8th grade
1400 points
100 Blocks Senior year

Who is this player that was overlooked?

Andre Carrier, Cavalier
he also started every Varsity Football game his 4 years (both sides) he was first team all-state TE, so someone knows him, but thats not media I don't think as far as the voting?
IMO he should have been AllState at least 2 times in Football and 2 times in Basketball, to think some sophomores made it over some of theses seniors?
go back to his Sophomore year and watch his huddle tape highlight

his cousin Elijah Klein joined Cavaliers 5 starters from last season and won the Grand AM
you have to know a bit about the game to do that....

This All-State selection system is not right
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys