State tournament and coronavirus

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State tournament and coronavirus

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:43 am

Just heard ND is going to hold until the DOH says they can’t/shouldn’t; ND hasn’t jumped on the ‘cancel train’ like other states because it’s just not a major issue here as in other parts of our country. The extra precautions have been put in place at State A this weekend so we’ll see how that goes
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BigDakota » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:35 pm

My feelings are with MN cancelling their remaining basketball tournaments today the ND State B is "toast". Will be surprised if they finish the "A" in Fargo. Feel bad for the athletes and fans in those communities but the pressure on the NDHSAA is going to be too much.
BigDakota
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ballaholic#3 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Just can't imagine that the NDHSAA is willing to deal with the potential legal nightmare of someone contracting the virus at the state tournament.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:29 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:Just can't imagine that the NDHSAA is willing to deal with the potential legal nightmare of someone contracting the virus at the state tournament.

Legal nightmare ??? :lol: You attend any public event at your own risk.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RockNRoll » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Just heard ND is going to hold until the DOH says they can’t/shouldn’t; ND hasn’t jumped on the ‘cancel train’ like other states because it’s just not a major issue here as in other parts of our country. The extra precautions have been put in place at State A this weekend so we’ll see how that goes

Great!!! Hopefully everything works out!!!! Not a Major Issue Here!!!!
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BigDakota » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:51 pm

At this point it seems irresponsible to continue to hold the tournaments. Too many unknowns and we don't live in a bubble here. Time will tell if all this was an overreaction but for the time being you have to rely on the experts which I am not. Crazy that they are cancelling in person classes at universities yet the biggest public sporting event in our state would continue.
BigDakota
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:56 pm

RockNRoll wrote:
Great!!! Hopefully everything works out!!!! Not a Major Issue Here!!!!

Everyone in the US said that 2 months ago.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Vikings2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:57 pm

BigDakota wrote:At this point it seems irresponsible to continue to hold the tournaments. Too many unknowns and we don't live in a bubble here. Time will tell if all this was an overreaction but for the time being you have to rely on the experts which I am not. Crazy that they are cancelling in person classes at universities yet the biggest public sporting event in our state would continue.

The big sporting events are due to airlines(outside travel) which is gonna be a growing concern, our local events we should still be fine in North Dakota if all this social media would quit. We need some new headlines on the news for all the negative Sallys, Calm Down. Carry on like we are-in a few days we can have the B.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:58 pm

A compromise solution, in my mind, would be to play out the state championship games on Saturday morning and get everybody home. Cancel the state A 3rd and 5th place games. Postpone the B.

Just spitballing.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:09 pm

ALL ND SPORTS WINTER/SPRING HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED! Finishing up Girls A Semifinal and that will, sadly, be a wrap on ND sports! Unfortunate but not a shock at all; ND held off until they were told they couldn't continue (from much higher levels).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:23 pm

I'm no Dean Koontz, but I did state, 2020 will be a Roller Coaster Ride...........
Last edited by winner-within on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defense1st » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:49 pm

Vikings2009 wrote:
BigDakota wrote:At this point it seems irresponsible to continue to hold the tournaments. Too many unknowns and we don't live in a bubble here. Time will tell if all this was an overreaction but for the time being you have to rely on the experts which I am not. Crazy that they are cancelling in person classes at universities yet the biggest public sporting event in our state would continue.

The big sporting events are due to airlines(outside travel) which is gonna be a growing concern, our local events we should still be fine in North Dakota if all this social media would quit. We need some new headlines on the news for all the negative Sallys, Calm Down. Carry on like we are-in a few days we can have the B.

This is just being willfully oblivious.

It's a moot point now anyway, but people who think like this need to be called out for it. We are not in a bubble, we have vulnerable people as well. One death is too many.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:ALL ND SPORTS WINTER/SPRING HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED! Finishing up Girls A Semifinal and that will, sadly, be a wrap on ND sports! Unfortunate but not a shock at all; ND held off until they were told they couldn't continue (from much higher levels).

It's the right call.

I feel for the kids who were getting ready for or were in the process of playing the biggest games of their high school careers. I hope NDHSAA is able to find a way to still make these games happen.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 pm

defense1st wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:ALL ND SPORTS WINTER/SPRING HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED! Finishing up Girls A Semifinal and that will, sadly, be a wrap on ND sports! Unfortunate but not a shock at all; ND held off until they were told they couldn't continue (from much higher levels).

It's the right call.

I feel for the kids who were getting ready for or were in the process of playing the biggest games of their high school careers. I hope NDHSAA is able to find a way to still make these games happen.

The key word that North Dakota is using that other states and organizations are not at the moment is SUSPENDED not CANCELLED.

Written by Grand Forks' AD on Twitter this afternoon
"Please note - suspended, not canceled...so eat healthily, stay in shape, and wait for future news!"

We have no idea what the future holds but for now the Spring Sports Season is On Hold...let's see where we are at in a couple of weeks.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Vikings2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:23 pm

What can we do I guess, would have like to see the kids play, way more kids in school than at the tournaments- not much difference. Over just 2 days this is upsetting.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:34 am

I hope I'm wrong but my guess would be that the school closure announced last night by the Governor means the B won't be played in any capacity this year. I feel awful for the coaches and players involved, especially for those schools who haven't been in many years and likely won't go again for many years. Ultimately public health and safety has to over rule the insistence on normalcy. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. I know a lot of people question if the whole thing is overblown and all I can say is that I hope it is all some mass hysteria caused by the 24 hour news cycle but if there is any chance that it isn't, we must take extreme protective measures no matter how frustrating or unpopular they are. It is better to be over cautious and be wrong than under cautious and regret.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:44 am

I would think if you if your going to take extreme measures by shutting down school, wouldn't you think flying would be the first thing shut down, but we know the reason for that, could have easily played it this week!!!!!!!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDPREP » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 am

hoophoophoop wrote:I would think if you if your going to take extreme measures by shutting down school, wouldn't you think flying would be the first thing shut down, but we know the reason for that, could have easily played it this week!!!!!!!!

The problem you aren't grasping is you are bringing people from different geography's together, stay in your area, stay home.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:35 am

Well we would all be traveling to the State B by now and preparing for one of the best weekends of the year.
:(
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby RockNRoll » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:21 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Well we would all be traveling to the State B by now and preparing for one of the best weekends of the year.

I think many hope there is still possibilities of this happening in the future still. There has never been a cancelled tournament. What is everyones thoughts?
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bingobangobongo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:48 am

RockNRoll wrote:
GOPACKGO!!! wrote:Well we would all be traveling to the State B by now and preparing for one of the best weekends of the year.

I think many hope there is still possibilities of this happening in the future still. There has never been a cancelled tournament. What is everyones thoughts?

It's toast. Not gonna happen.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:47 pm

heard rumors they are going to try for late spring if can, if it would settle down the virus why not play it in middle of may
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:24 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:heard rumors they are going to try for late spring if can, if it would settle down the virus why not play it in middle of may

Haha ya right! Track and Baseball are probably done, at this point we would be lucky to play football.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Vikings2009 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:43 am

Our states biggest event cancelled. What a shame!! Could have finished the 3 games out easily before any other season started no matter what month. Why not postpone? Terrible Decision!!!!!
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:39 am

Vikings2009 wrote:Our states biggest event cancelled. What a shame!! Could have finished the 3 games out easily before any other season started no matter what month. Why not postpone? Terrible Decision!!!!!

When did it get cancelled? Thought it was still postponed?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys