Most Surprising

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Most Surprising

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:14 pm

So called upset of this season, so far, and as it goes on....

Shoot!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Most Surprising

Postby Ball4Him » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:20 pm

winner-within wrote:So called upset of this season, so far, and as it goes on....

Shoot!

How strong Region 4 is this year... Most people knew there were good teams in this region, but they might have 6 top 20 teams this year. :shock:
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:33 pm

Ball4Him wrote:
winner-within wrote:So called upset of this season, so far, and as it goes on....

Shoot!

How strong Region 4 is this year... Most people knew there were good teams in this region, but they might have 6 top 20 teams this year. :shock:

didn't surprise me, although the Strength of the win FW/M over Rugby was a slight jolt, but then Thompson beat FW's, could Thompson beat Rugby?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:41 pm

winner-within wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:

Shoot!

didn't surprise me, although the Strength of the win FW/M over Rugby was a slight jolt, but then Thompson beat FW's, could Thompson beat Rugby?

Yes, and I believe HN and HCV would also out of Region 2.

I've said it before and I believe FWM will have a tougher road just to get to state than they will have at the state tournament. 4 out of the 5 postseason games they'll play in Dist 7 and Region 4 will be a battle. I would not be surprised at an upset happening.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:43 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:

Shoot!

I've said it before and I believe FWM will have a tougher road just to get to state than they will have at the state tournament. 4 out of the 5 postseason games they'll play in Dist 7 and Region 4 will be a battle. I would not be surprised at an upset happening.

so Region 2 is stronger than Region 4 up top?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Langdon this week has beat Grafton by 17, Cavalier by 25, and St. John by 2 which is quite a week to say the least for unrated team. New Rockford has stumbled recently but I still think they match up well against certain teams. St. John is just very good team and there losses have all been close so they could easily win tournament if they get on roll. Four winds is going to be tough they always are. Region 2 teams the top 3 are all very good teams and there is good strength in top teams in the region. I am not familiar with other regions but I don't believe there is high quality of teams that these two regions have in other regions. I think in region 4 the 3 through 5 seats would be favorites in lot of other regions in the state.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:22 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:Langdon this week has beat Grafton by 17, Cavalier by 25, and St. John by 2 which is quite a week to say the least for unrated team. New Rockford has stumbled recently but I still think they match up well against certain teams. St. John is just very good team and there losses have all been close so they could easily win tournament if they get on roll. Four winds is going to be tough they always are. Region 2 teams the top 3 are all very good teams and there is good strength in top teams in the region. I am not familiar with other regions but I don't believe there is high quality of teams that these two regions have in other regions. I think in region 4 the 3 through 5 seats would be favorites in lot of other regions in the state.

I think 3 thru 6 in R1 & R2 are both stronger than 3 thru 6 in 4 or any other Region, not by a lot in some but like you say would be favored
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:47 pm

winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:

Shoot!

No, I don't believe so. You asked if Thompson would be Rugby and I believe they will. Would Thompson beat FWM if they play again? No I don't think so.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm

winner-within wrote:
B-oldtimer wrote:Langdon this week has beat Grafton by 17, Cavalier by 25, and St. John by 2 which is quite a week to say the least for unrated team. New Rockford has stumbled recently but I still think they match up well against certain teams. St. John is just very good team and there losses have all been close so they could easily win tournament if they get on roll. Four winds is going to be tough they always are. Region 2 teams the top 3 are all very good teams and there is good strength in top teams in the region. I am not familiar with other regions but I don't believe there is high quality of teams that these two regions have in other regions. I think in region 4 the 3 through 5 seats would be favorites in lot of other regions in the state.

I think 3 thru 6 in R1 & R2 are both stronger than 3 thru 6 in 4 or any other Region, not by a lot in some but like you say would be favored

I think 3-6 in R4 are much stronger than R1 and slightly stronger than R2. The third team in region 2 may be stronger, but I believe 5 and 6 in region 2 are weaker. Unfortunately we don't have much to go on to compare R4 and R1.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:57 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:

Shoot!

So you are saying FWM will have tougher games to get to State than they would in the State Tournament.... well that is a surprise. Region 1 and 2 Might have something to say about that or Region 3 5 6 7 and 8
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:

Shoot!

No, I don't believe so. You asked if Thompson would be Rugby and I believe they will. Would Thompson beat FWM if they play again? No I don't think so.

they don't play
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:45 pm

winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:

Shoot!

they don't play

Yes, sorry, meant that I believe they would.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:04 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:

Shoot!

So you are saying FWM will have tougher games to get to State than they would in the State Tournament.... well that is a surprise. Region 1 and 2 Might have something to say about that or Region 3 5 6 7 and 8

That's my bold/surprising take. We'll see how it all plays out in a couple weeks I guess.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 pm

I don't know who is the best but I do think region 4 has very good teams 1 through 6 but there are other regions that do have some very good balanced regions. I was looking KMAVs RPI strength of regions he has region 4 as number one and other as follows region 1-5; region 2-4,;region 3-6;region 5-7;region 6-3;region 7-2; and region 8-8. Replying to winner within by QRF standings for the top 6 in regions 1, 2, and 4 here they are: Region 1 Kindred T9, Enderlin 12, Norther Cass 27, Richland 29, Maple Valley 39, Central Cass 51, and Oak Grove 65; Region 2 Hatton Northwood T9, Hillsboro 15, Thompson 18, North Border 23, Grafton 26, and Cavalier 35; Region 4 Fourwinds 1, St. John 6, Langdon 11, New Rockford 20, Benson County 30, Dunseith 32, and Dakota prairie 33. I don't see how you say region 1 and 2 would be favored if these teams played off they would be good games but I have to believe region 4 would be favored. I may be wrong but Region 4 has faired quite well against region 1 and 2 opponents with exception of playing Hatton/Northwood which has wins over several of region 4 teams. Also region 4 has played other regions quite competitively and loses have been quite close. We will know much more when the season is complete.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Just some small insight: Non-ND games aren't counted in the KMAV (or QRF) rankings...so some teams' rankings would/should be better in R1 & R2.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:11 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I don't know who is the best but I do think region 4 has very good teams 1 through 6 but there are other regions that do have some very good balanced regions. I was looking KMAVs RPI strength of regions he has region 4 as number one and other as follows region 1-5; region 2-4,;region 3-6;region 5-7;region 6-3;region 7-2; and region 8-8. Replying to winner within by QRF standings for the top 6 in regions 1, 2, and 4 here they are: Region 1 Kindred T9, Enderlin 12, Norther Cass 27, Richland 29, Maple Valley 39, Central Cass 51, and Oak Grove 65; Region 2 Hatton Northwood T9, Hillsboro 15, Thompson 18, North Border 23, Grafton 26, and Cavalier 35; Region 4 Fourwinds 1, St. John 6, Langdon 11, New Rockford 20, Benson County 30, Dunseith 32, and Dakota prairie 33. I don't see how you say region 1 and 2 would be favored if these teams played off they would be good games but I have to believe region 4 would be favored. I may be wrong but Region 4 has faired quite well against region 1 and 2 opponents with exception of playing Hatton/Northwood which has wins over several of region 4 teams. Also region 4 has played other regions quite competitively and loses have been quite close. We will know much more when the season is complete.

Take QRF with a grain of salt please, I use it for nothing when I am gauging ND Class B Basketball, I believe it has no place in ND Football or Basketball....now if the Media wants to rate for the Polls? thats fine....when one is talking about 15,16,17,18 year old young men on a Hardwood Basketball gym, playing for a particular school, I believe there are to many Variables involved to just take a Poll or Just take a QRF ranking and say, Okay! they must be better because they are on paper...
now I also believe that Media and Society love when the same names remain at the top year in and year out, because then one can say that its their program, or its their coaching, etc etc but after the amount of years I have been watching Class B, I do know that not long ago there was no QRF, and on some years the top 10 is some what concrete, or lets say the top 5 at least but I stated after the first Poll that it would be a "roller coaster ride" and I believe it has been and will continue to be this season, which in turn to anyone's defense debating game outcomes that won't take place crossing regions? its a tough year to say....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:42 pm

Even though H-N played last night (FHSP) I still think they will win vs St. John in Devils Lake today, even though St. John lost a squeaker in Langdon Thursday....just a prediction
H-N 56 St. John 50
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:27 pm

winner-within wrote:Even though H-N played last night (FHSP) I still think they will win vs St. John in Devils Lake today, even though St. John lost a squeaker in Langdon Thursday....just a prediction
H-N 56 St. John 50

Good prediction. Wondering if anybody was at the game and some info on how it went.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:34 pm

Most surprising outcomes in region 2
Based on preseason predictions
GCC over Cavalier
Cavalier over HCV

Based on how the season is going
Larimore over North Border
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:09 am

Flip wrote:Most surprising outcomes in region 2
Based on preseason predictions
GCC over Cavalier
Cavalier over HCV

Based on how the season is going
Larimore over North Border

I would agree with these picks and throw in Grafton as my most surprising team from Region 2. They have been a very good basketball team this season. Quality wins over Kindred, Central Cass, and Cavalier. I thought with everything they lost there would be a huge step back this season while they figured it out but I was real wrong on that one. Scary part is that they lose nothing this year, should be one of the early favorites in the region next year.

Region 1 most surprising game in my opinion:
Richland loss to Oakes - I know Oakes is a competitive team but thought Richland should have won this one (plus it was a 15 point loss). This is the only one that really jumps out of my memory but I'm sure there are others I am forgetting about
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:26 am

scc wrote:
classB4ever wrote:
winner-within wrote:Even though H-N played last night (FHSP) I still think they will win vs St. John in Devils Lake today, even though St. John lost a squeaker in Langdon Thursday....just a prediction
H-N 56 St. John 50

Good prediction. Wondering if anybody was at the game and some info on how it went.

The game was tight until Hatton-Northwood took a 9-point lead in the 4th quarter. The Thunder missed a couple bonus free throw opportunities, which the Woodchucks converted into three-pointers, ultimately tying the game with 8.3 seconds to go. Avery Thorsgard got the game winner under the basket at the buzzer. The score was tied eight times in the game.

H-N fan was saying it was a game of few fouls called?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby woodchuck10 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:29 pm

winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:
classB4ever wrote:
H-N 56 St. John 50

The game was tight until Hatton-Northwood took a 9-point lead in the 4th quarter. The Thunder missed a couple bonus free throw opportunities, which the Woodchucks converted into three-pointers, ultimately tying the game with 8.3 seconds to go. Avery Thorsgard got the game winner under the basket at the buzzer. The score was tied eight times in the game.

H-N fan was saying it was a game of few fouls called?

Not many fouls called which is fine. Teams in the double bonus in the 4th quarter is not an entertaining watch. Missed calls for both sides. Good non calls on both sides. Refs did not decide the game which is nice. Similar to the SJ game vs New Rockford, physical and down to the wire game. Compared to the SJ game with Langdon, still down to the wire but ticky-tack fouls called on both teams changed the way they could play in the 4th.

Langdon and Hatton-Northwood ending were eerily similar. After SJ tied or took the lead with under 10 seconds left the other team took a timeout. Inbounded the ball, raced up the court kicked to the corner for a 3, Langdon made it and won, Hatton-Northwood missed but got the put back off at literally the last moment, 0.1 second, refs counted it and ran off the court. theres videos out there on twitter of both last shots. Slowing down video you can see the HN putback is good bu just enough time. Last three of four games have been crazy close for St. John.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:19 am

Hillsboro-CV 62, Thompson 46
Halftime: Hillsboro-CV 42, Thompson 22

Hillsboro-Central Valley -- Patrick Limke 10, Carson Henningsgard 32, Jackson Anderson 6, Sam Preston 3, Landen Reed 10, Joey Camrud 1

Thompson -- Jacob D*ck 13, Pierce Cooper 14, Clay Odenbach 11, Chance Danner 5, Garrett Webber 3

the halftime score is a bit surprising, but the outcome isn't for me.... I was thinking about a 10 point Ball Game
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:47 am

W/L over E/K/M is very surprising
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:15 am

packers21 wrote:W/L over E/K/M is very surprising

This one was biggest shock in eastern ND last night...3 people asked if I had a typo. Good win for a young W-L squad
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Next

Return to Boys