2020 Bold Takes

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2020 Bold Takes

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:35 pm

Gunna try get some discussion going here, reply with a comment or your own takes.

1. I believe right now only 3 teams have a shot at winning the title (HCV, Rugby, 4 Winds)

2. Region 4 is the most top heavy this year, I think they have 5 really good teams.

3. No one in Region 2 comes within 15 of HCV

4. Region 1 might have 6 top 25/30 teams not sure if they have 1 in the top 5 tho

5. Region 7 tournament or any Region tournament should never be played on someones home court and the fact this is still happening blows my mind.

6. Dan Carr makes one last trip to the B

7. Two privates play for 7/8 at State

8. Jesse White leads his team past the Ray Jays and puts on a show at the B (Either team would be this years darling)

9. HN is the best team no one knows about

10. Region 1 is the tallest region of all time, more than 15 guys over 6'4"
Last edited by packers21 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Bold Takes

Postby woodchuck10 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:24 pm

packers21 wrote:Gunna try get some discussion going here, reply with a comment or your own takes.

1. I believe right now only 3 teams have a shot at winning the title (HCV, Rugby, 4 Winds)

2. Region 4 is the most top heavy this year, I think the have 5 really good team.

4. Region 1 might have 6 top 25/30 teams not sure if they have 1 in the top 5 tho

5. Region 7 tournament or any Region tournament should never be played on someones home court and the fact this is still happening blows my mind.

8. Jesse White leads his team past the Ray Jays and puts on a show at the B (Either team would be this years darling)

10. Region 1 is the tallest region of all time, more thank 15 guys over 6'4"

1. FWM is the best team of that bunch but has the toughest road to state.

2. who are your 5? I'd say there is 6 (FWM, LEM, NRS, SJ, DP, Dunseith) in that order right now. Benson Co and Warwick have talent also.

9. HN beats FW by 5 on Friday.....ok maybe that was too bold.

11. Dusneith goes undefeated in Bismarck this weekend
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:
packers21 wrote:Gunna try get some discussion going here, reply with a comment or your own takes.

2. Region 4 is the most top heavy this year, I think the have 5 really good team.

10. Region 1 is the tallest region of all time, more thank 15 guys over 6'4"

1. FWM is the best team of that bunch but has the toughest road to state.

2. who are your 5? I'd say there is 6 (FWM, LEM, NRS, SJ, DP, Dunseith) in that order right now. Benson Co and Warwick have talent also.

11. Dusneith goes undefeated in Bismarck this weekend

I had LEM over Dunseith in the 5 spot but I do think Dunseith and Benson are both pretty tough. R4 is deep
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:59 pm

2. Region 4 is the most top heavy this year, I think they have 5 really good teams.

1. It would not shock me if the Region One top teams can stay healthy if the representative from that region makes noise at the B. Enderlin's height intrigues me against some of those top teams you mentioned (it gave Hatton problems).

3. I think that at least one Region 2 team (if I had to bet: Hatton, Thompson, or Cavalier) gives Hillsboro a scare and it comes down to the wire. It is hard to be on every night of the season and I think there is some sneaky tough teams in Region 2 that aren't getting much attention. Thompson has played a solid out of region schedule and should be battle-tested by the time they see Hillsboro for the 2nd time in the middle of February. They will have played 4 Winds, New Rockford, Hillsboro, Shiloh, Trinity, and Langdon by the time they meet Hillsboro again.

9. I agree Hatton is a really tough team but I don't agree with no one knowing about them. There was a lot of chatter in the pre-season discussions about them and some people even mentioned them competing with Hillsboro for the region. I saw Enderlin talked about a lot less pre-season than Hatton, although they are now getting a lot of attention. Langdon would probably be at the top of my "best team not enough people are talking about" list because of the pre-season attention some teams got and the attention others are now getting. I don't see a ton of light being shined on Langdon and I think they are a really solid team.

***11. This might be the B I'm most intrigued about in years. Many of the regions I can see 2 or 3 teams with a legitimate shot at reaching the B and I think that there might end up being 5 or 6 teams at the B who if things fall right could come home with a championship.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby woodchuck10 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:18 pm

I actually meant to type 15 but we'll stick with 5 lol
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 pm

packers21 wrote:5. Region 7 tournament or any Region tournament should never be played on someones home court and the fact this is still happening blows my mind.

I agree! But where could they have region 7 tournament? DSU gym big enough? Dickinson High?
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:29 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:11. Dusneith goes undefeated in Bismarck this weekend

Trinity 34
Dunseith 19
Halftime
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:11. Dusneith goes undefeated in Bismarck this weekend

Trinity 34
Dunseith 19
Halftime

Trinity 59
Dunseith 41
Final
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby senditin » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:46 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:

66 45 FWM. Idiot
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RockNRoll » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:45 pm

senditin wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:

66 45 FWM. Idiot

LOL
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby woodchuck10 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:45 pm

My bold takes were big time wrong. I won’t bold take anymore against the Indians, Grovers, Titans, Skyhawks, Lions etc
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:50 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:My bold takes were big time wrong. I won’t bold take anymore against the Indians, Grovers, Titans, Skyhawks, Lions etc

Dunseith & Oak Grove had their struggles in Bismarck this weekend. Shiloh played well both days.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:01 pm

1. If I were a betting man and you gave me the choice of those 3 teams or the field, I would take those 3 teams.

2. Tough for me to comment on this as I don't see many Region 4 teams play. I also know that region 4 is usually very good, so I'll take your word for it.

3. I believe HCV is the real deal, but I bet one of those region 2 teams plays them to a single digit game.

4. I think Region 1 is very balanced, I'll agree with your statement there. With Enderlins roster, I think they could be a top 8 team, maybe not slide into number 5 (I believe Bismarck Shiloh Christian is the number 4 team in state outside of the 3 you listed in number 1)

5. Well, with the rules that NDHSAA has set forth (Has to be played at an arena that holds 2,000 people and has to be played within your region area) it has to be held at Dickinson Trinity High School or Hazen High School. My thought is it will be played at Dickinson Trinity for at least the next 5 consecutive years.

6. I wouldn't bet against Dan Carr in the regional tournament.

7. Dickinson Trinity will make the state tournament and win their opening round game (my prediction is they will play Bismarck Shiloh in the 4/5 game of the first round.

8. There are 6 teams I see with a shot to win region 8 (Powers Lake, White Shield, New Town, Ray, Trenton and Stanley) I'll say Powers Lake goes back to state.

9. I'll disagree with this one (see my new statements)

10. That could be, There is definitely a lot of size in the Southeast this year.

I'll add some of my own predictions

11. Bowman is the best team no one has heard about, two legitimate all-state caliber players and a bunch of other athletes, if Dickinson Trinity doesn't win the region my bet would be on Bowman

12. Lucas Schumacher of Linton is the best player in the state

13. Gage Swanson of Beach is the best player no one has heard about

13. FWM finishes the regular season undefeated (even though they play the toughest schedule in the state)

14. Region winners IMO: Enderlin, HCV, LHMB, FWM, Bismarck Shiloh Christian, Rugby, Dickinson Trinity and Powers Lake

edited to add one.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:12 pm

should be "bold takes" and predictions :D

2020 like I said before will be a Roller Coaster ride, with 6 or so games in so far it already has been...late Feb early March is always way different ball then early Jan.

I say the class of 2020 has more high end Ballers (both classes) than ND has seen in years....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby eatdatpierogi445 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:14 pm

senditin wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:

66 45 FWM. Idiot

There’s three guarantees in life
1.death
2.taxes
3.someone on this website pumping up hatton Northwood every year saying they are going to make a deep run in the regions or make it to state only to end up watching them lose in first round of regions. HCV will have their way with them when they play tonight.
eatdatpierogi445
NDPreps Rookie

Postby RockNRoll » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:21 pm

I disagree. Hatton Northwood is a decent scrappy team..they will give Hillsboro a run.
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:43 pm

defensewinsgames wrote:

1. It would not shock me if the Region One top teams can stay healthy if the representative from that region makes noise at the B. Enderlin's height intrigues me against some of those top teams you mentioned (it gave Hatton problems).

3. I think that at least one Region 2 team (if I had to bet: Hatton, Thompson, or Cavalier) gives Hillsboro a scare and it comes down to the wire. It is hard to be on every night of the season and I think there is some sneaky tough teams in Region 2 that aren't getting much attention. Thompson has played a solid out of region schedule and should be battle-tested by the time they see Hillsboro for the 2nd time in the middle of February. They will have played 4 Winds, New Rockford, Hillsboro, Shiloh, Trinity, and Langdon by the time they meet Hillsboro again.

9. I agree Hatton is a really tough team but I don't agree with no one knowing about them. There was a lot of chatter in the pre-season discussions about them and some people even mentioned them competing with Hillsboro for the region. I saw Enderlin talked about a lot less pre-season than Hatton, although they are now getting a lot of attention. Langdon would probably be at the top of my "best team not enough people are talking about" list because of the pre-season attention some teams got and the attention others are now getting. I don't see a ton of light being shined on Langdon and I think they are a really solid team.

***11. This might be the B I'm most intrigued about in years. Many of the regions I can see 2 or 3 teams with a legitimate shot at reaching the B and I think that there might end up being 5 or 6 teams at the B who if things fall right could come home with a championship.

The fact that happened the first time they played one of those teams I mentioned might shock some people but I have said on multiple posts multiple times on this site that I thinks HCV and Hatton are 1a and 1b in region 2. Great game by HN, maybe that will end some of the doubting as even today among the newest posts on this thread were saying it wouldnt be close. This really increases my already high interest in how some new blood in the state picture like Enderlin would fair at state since they beat Hatton. Should be a fun season the rest of the way.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:01 am

eatdatpierogi445 wrote:
senditin wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:

66 45 FWM. Idiot

There’s three guarantees in life
1.death
2.taxes
3.someone on this website pumping up hatton Northwood every year saying they are going to make a deep run in the regions or make it to state only to end up watching them lose in first round of regions. HCV will have their way with them when they play tonight.

RV Hatton-Northwood 53
#2 Hillsboro-Central Valley 52
FINAL
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby PMPT » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:51 am

I've said on a few occasions that Hatton Northwood was a force to be reckoned with. They proved it last night beating HCV on their own turf. Hatton Northwood has speed and power. What they need more of is consistency. If they have that they have a legit shot at the region 2 championship.
PMPT
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:42 pm

I think they look pretty consistent, their loss to FW's can be explained like this:

HCV plays FW's the most consistent...why? because they've played many times in the, lets say, Henningsgaard era (Kyle & Carson) and HCV became familiar with a style that is real hard to beat (real hard) go, go, go & in your face D, stroke 3's...I will go on to say that when HCV beat them at State it was HCV's Camrude on the boards that was the difference, the big man rebounded that team to a Championship hands down....
so now, when anybody else plays them that is not from R4, they are chewing their fingernails in warm up...games already over before it begins....they are the tone setter for ND Class B year in and year out under Smith and the staff, they have resilient fans and they have zero obstacles with school administration etc etc
and unlike the old days they don't have to play against the refs because of their skin color (which they never should of had to)....so with that said H-N is solid and obviously HCV is vulnerable, which I suspected last season....was the HCV Thompson R2 championship game, the State championship in 19? I don't believe it was I think there were a couple of teams at State that would have beat HCV
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:22 am

13. FWM finishes the regular season undefeated (even though they play the toughest schedule in the state)

I'll go bold and say if that happens they will lose in the Districts...if they don't lose is reg season or Districts, they don't get out of their Region.
I think Rugby is more likely to end regular season unbeaten
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:32 am

Here's a new take...

The loser of tonights??? Fw/M HCV game and the loser of FW/M Rugby game play in the Saturday late game at the B...If FW/M loses both those games, they win the Saturday B late game against a team other than the above 2. 8)
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:16 pm

justplayalready wrote:Here's a new take...

The loser of tonights??? Fw/M HCV game and the loser of FW/M Rugby game play in the Saturday late game at the B...If FW/M loses both those games, they win the Saturday B late game against a team other than the above 2. 8)

They won both handedly....Now what?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:15 am

winner-within wrote:
justplayalready wrote:Here's a new take...

They won both handedly....Now what?

HCV vs Rugby Final??? Still in the cards...Yes seeding can mess it up, but I think Rugby will still come in as a 2 or 3...HCV 4 or 5 to make it work..again if they survive their regions...

I also still feel that FW/M has a better chance to come out of 4, losing their district championship to NR/S...just a believer in the old, "tough to beat a team three times" storyline...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND Sports Fan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:45 pm

There will be a surprise state tournament entrant from both R1 and R2.
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys