Four Winds

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:57 pm

thought i would start a discussion on four winds, last year's little engine that could that very nearly went the whole way. they went from hardly anyone knowing anything about them to a third-place finish, pretty impressive all in all.

how are some of their younger players coming along? about the only player of theirs is tony ironheart who entered the season needing 427 points to break the school's all-time scoring mark.

they have a kid named c.j. ironheart, i'm assuming is tony's little brother? from what i've heard, they got in a transfer from parshall, foote, but i don't know if he played or not during their run to state last year. they have an ivan lovejoy, jr., is that quentin lovejoy's little brother?

games i'm looking forward to: jan 4 vs. carrington (carrington has looked to be really improved from last year's team), jan. 16 at lakota (lakota is undefeated so far, but i'm not sure how good they are?), jan. 22 vs. wells county (the two best teams in district 7 in my opinion), feb. 17 at minnewaukan-leeds (should be a classic) and then more than likely whenever they and minnewaukan-leeds meets up in the region tournament.

thoughts?
rep

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:43 pm

I havent seen Four Winds play this year, haven't heard anything about them either. They'll have to fill in some spots around Ironheart and they should be competitive again. The only team I see causing a problem in D7 will be Wells County in my opinion.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:48 am

Chance Herman has put up 18 and 20 points in first 2 games.  He's got a good all around game and I beleive if he gains more confidence he could be an all state player.   If Tony IH isn't one of the top 3 players in the state then I don't know who is!  He's bigger and stronger than last year and he just has no weakness' to his game.  I get the feeling, though, that he will get shafted at the end of the year like Wiley Bearstail did a few years back when he wasn't even considered for Mr. Basketball.  That one still baffles me to this day!  As for the other players, Zack Alberts play solid around the basket.  he's undersized but gets good position.  Ivan LJ is Q's little brother and he is a good athlete who really excels when the Indians get their uptempo game going.  CJ Ironheart isn't Tony's little brother.  His game is three point shooting and pressure D. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 am

Wiley Bearstail didn't play defense all he could do was shoot, but with ironheart it is different. He has shown solid defensive skills and leadership qualities plus the ability to light it up. Is he the best player in the state? in my opinion no. but there is no question he is one of top five in class b and is a dark horse for mr. basketball.
PA42

Postby NDdominator » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:34 pm

Bearstail could shoot the lights out his defense was inadequate of a mr. basketball candidate but ironheart as a mr. basketball candidate is a little far fetched too many class A players are really really good this year I wouldnt doubt if Class B only had one rep maybe two and one of them would have to be Lorenz but FW's has a good team and could make it to state but it appears the state is a little tougher this year than last
NDdominator

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:36 pm

I think IronHeart is a perfect Candidate for Mr Basketball.  He is a good kid and he works hard, but so do alot of kids. 

Who does the voting for Mr Basketball?  Is it the press?
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:56 pm

right now the best class b player looks like it is packineau and bakkum rite behind him but i dont think they have a realistic chance of winning with qvale and kick

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby radar » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:11 pm

cdub1 wrote:right now the best class b player looks like it is packineau and bakkum rite behind him but i dont think they have a realistic chance of winning with qvale and kick

best b player in nd is j mauch of hankinson who is a jr #2 lorenz #3 ironheart the rest are at a much lower level
radar
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:29 pm

radar wrote:
cdub1 wrote:right now the best class b player looks like it is packineau and bakkum rite behind him but i dont think they have a realistic chance of winning with qvale and kick

best b player in nd is j mauch of hankinson who is a jr #2 lorenz #3 ironheart the rest are at a much lower level

bakkum and the packineaus are at a "much lower level".  i dont even know if i would put him in the top 5 in the state.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:36 pm

radar wrote:best b player in nd is j mauch of hankinson who is a jr #2 lorenz #3 ironheart the rest are at a much lower level

Wow, do you get out of Hankinson much?
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:21 am

I am a Four Winds fan so I'm going to advocate for Tony IH for Mr. BB but realistically it's a tough decision to make.  I've seen Lorenz play and he's a good scorer from the baseline and is a very good defensive player but IMHO he doesn't scare anyone with the ball in his hands.  I've also seen Packineau play he's a very good scorer and plays good "D".  I haven't seen Bakkum play so I can't give comment.  What I think IH brings to the table that the other don't is that he makes everyone around him better when the ball is in his hands.  If you are open he'll get you the ball, period, or he'll blow by you or pull up for a jumper.  I know it's a hard choice to make for who the top player is because they are all good athletes, can score and pay "D" so what I would look for is how good that player makes his team and the opportunities he creates for his teammates, along with the aforementioned.  That's why I feel IH is a good candidate for Mr. BB.  Go ahead fire away at me! 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:27 am

nativegolfer wrote:I am a Four Winds fan so I'm going to advocate for Tony IH for Mr. BB but realistically it's a tough decision to make.  I've seen Lorenz play and he's a good scorer from the baseline and is a very good defensive player but IMHO he doesn't scare anyone with the ball in his hands.  I've also seen Packineau play he's a very good scorer and plays good "D".  I haven't seen Bakkum play so I can't give comment.  What I think IH brings to the table that the other don't is that he makes everyone around him better when the ball is in his hands.  If you are open he'll get you the ball, period, or he'll blow by you or pull up for a jumper.  I know it's a hard choice to make for who the top player is because they are all good athletes, can score and pay "D" so what I would look for is how good that player makes his team and the opportunities he creates for his teammates, along with the aforementioned.  That's why I feel IH is a good candidate for Mr. BB.  Go ahead fire away at me! 

I have only seen IH play!  He does make players around him better, he gets the ball to the open man!  He makes you look good!  He makes defenses collapse on him then delivers a nice assist to his teammates.  He is a solid defender!  He can shoot, he can pass.  I think he is a good candidate!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Diamond D » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:43 am

I going to agree with the two above.  Tony just has a great "sense" for the court.  He has great depth and talent.

Diamond D
Diamond D

Postby PA42 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:01 am

did anyone go to the four winds-dakota prairie? It looked like it was close for a while.
PA42

Postby razorback » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:34 pm

ya FW and DP were pretty close till the fourth quarter where dp just couldnt keep up with Fw...... ironheart is the real deal
razorback
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mr. Me Too » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:00 am

Tony IH. . .Mr. BB candidate is likely he does create oppurtunities for his teammates . . .yes the other better players in the state  can play D score and occasionally give off a nice dish. . .but IH see's the whole court when he plays. . .FW will do very well this year bcuz these kids have been playing together and killin teams since they were young
Last edited by Mr. Me Too on Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-->aMA[z]iNg<--
Mr. Me Too
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:15 am

Anybody know how the FW vs. Standing Rock game ended up last nite? I see nothing in the Tribune and nothing anywhere online.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby gamechanger » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:17 am

FW won 82-62 I think...don't know nothing more than that.
gamechanger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Hitter » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:07 am

Four winds puts a good team out on the court every year. They are well coached and very well conditioned. They should be very fun to watch like every year
Big Hitter

Postby nativegolfer » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:02 pm

Actually Standing Rock beat FW 74-73 in a classic.  The lead see-sawed back and forth thru the whole game.  Ironheart put FW up by one with 10 secs left Austin went coast to coast for SR and banked one in.  FW had one last chance.  Ironhearts shot hit the rim twice and bounced out.  heck of game between 2 teams with with alot of athletes and talent.  Wouldn't be one bit surprised if they met up again at the state tourney. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:22 pm

gamechanger wrote:FW won 82-62 I think...don't know nothing more than that.

how does FW win by 20 and in supposedly lose all in the same game?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby nativegolfer » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:01 pm

FW beat DP by 20 and lost to SR by 1.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:30 pm

nativegolfer wrote: Wouldn't be one bit surprised if they met up again at the state tourney. 

I hve no disrespect for FW's program at all, but come on, are you kiddin? Last year was pretty much set in stone, this year they have competition and teams with way more depth and way more experience. You act like its a  walk in the park because they were there last year.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:03 am

I'm not saying that it's a given that fw makes it to state!  Where in my comment does it say that?  But they certainly have the talent to do so.  The only comp is going to come from LM.  Wells County has to come up to the rez where they never win and the only chance they have to beat FW is on their home court.  Looks like we are going to get another solid player back at semester time.  My only worry about playing LM is getting a ref job after Carlson starts cryin around. 
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:02 am

Beating WC on your homecourt doesnt matter when tourney time comes around and you have to meet them at the sports center. WC is going to be a very good team this year, I wouldn't underestimate them.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys