Boys vs Girl tourneys

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Boys vs Girl tourneys

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:27 pm

As an area fan of basketball, not a dog in the fight, I just find it a real struggle to go to the first round of the girl's regional basketball tournament. Let's face it... in girl's basketball, elite teams are rare so you might see one good game,one good player, on one given night. Can't see driving 2 hours each way to see 59-17 blowouts. In comparison, the boy's regions opening round, by the most part, usually are very competitive and high paced with excitement-- and for one admission ticket, you can usually sit back, watch 4 high paced games, have concessions, and enjoy the night with an occasional dunk and competitive boys going crazy on the floor! Didn't think this would go over too well on the girl's site so didn't post it. :wink: It kind of reflects with when the boys and girls seasons were flip flopped. The boys region was first and then the girls region. What a disaster! I guess that is why is was changed so I guess someone else had the same opinion. Don't know how to fix the girl's situation although I have heard ideas of somehow combining girls/boys region tourneys together to help draw more interest/excitement/revenue to aid the girls' cause.. State tourneys for girls will be fine and can stand on their own because there are only 8 teams left and you should be able to scrounge out at least two good nights there.. JMO and being honest!
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: Boys vs Girl tourneys

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 pm

the post kinda rambles on...."in a nut shell" you are implying what?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ReadyToPlay » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:44 pm

That the stands are 1/4 full during the girls opening region round because of non-thrilling action due to lack of talent... ie, championship game at The Betty---Thompson 51 HPFS 25.. --pretty close to the statement of 59-17 blowouts in my 3rd sentence of original post.. Simply put, why would the NDHSA put a girls tournament in a facility that costs at least $5000 to $7000 a day to rent, pay 12 referees, and have 400 fans show up?
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby Rivershark » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:05 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:That the stands are 1/4 full during the girls opening region round because of non-thrilling action due to lack of talent... ie, championship game at The Betty---Thompson 51 HPFS 25.. --pretty close to the statement of 59-17 blowouts in my 3rd sentence of original post.. Simply put, why would the NDHSA put a girls tournament in a facility that costs at least $5000 to $7000 a day to rent, pay 12 referees, and have 400 fans show up?

Probably because in years past the Betty was packed to the rafters. It all depends on who’s playing.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:07 am

ReadyToPlay wrote:That the stands are 1/4 full during the girls opening region round because of non-thrilling action due to lack of talent...

What are the stands like for the opening round of the boys tournament? I've never seen more than one game. The games start at 3 PM on a Monday, what are you expecting for attendance?

As for the lack of talent, the last Class B boy to play D1 basketball graduated 10 years ago and who was before him? I don't even know. Class B girls have had 6 in the past 3 years, that I can think of.

Simply put, why would the NDHSA put a girls tournament in a facility that costs at least $5000 to $7000 a day to rent, pay 12 referees, and have 400 fans show up?

Maybe it's to give the kids a great experience. The NDHSAA isn't a for profit organization. I don't know the numbers, but I bet they get 2,000 in attendance that first day of games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys