Top Sophs

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby baller01 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:29 pm

Who are some of the top sophomores out there that are having success so far?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Claz B Fan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:48 pm

Cameron Malzer and Chad Marshall would probably be the top 2
Claz B Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:50 pm

Claz B Fan wrote:Cameron Malzer and Chad Marshall would probably be the top 2

I have respect for both players,but Marshall is way better compared to Malzer. I'd put Malzer in the top 5 but no way would I say top 2. I've seen Marshall is putting up big numbers. Malzer doesn't look like hes scoring too much tho, and thats the best part of his game.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoopsstar2391 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Looks like Justin Puritun, from Linton is having a pretty good season so far.  He's averaging 20 points a game in 3 games.
hoopsstar2391
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:03 pm

Same with Alex Wolf from Bowman, is already a very good player but is only gonna get better. If he continues to bulk up he will be dominate someday because hes got such good footwork and finishing skills. I think hes averaging about 20 some a game.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ticket0115 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:13 pm

I agree with you so far baller01 but by the end of the year cameron malzer will be the better player in my opinion. Class B basketball is dominated by guards not big men like chad marshall.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:14 pm

Cole Bender from Wilton is a very nice looking player for being a sophomore. Watched him play in Bismarck earlier this year and he finishes well when he gets down low. He dumped in 30 when they played Cavalier.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:17 pm

Wo, wo wo, I don't think I'd go out and say Chad Marshall is a big. He is 6'2" at the max, unless he has growin a couple inches. I think people might think he is a big man because he has the ability to post up. I find him to be better then Malzer when comparing the two because Marshall poses the ability to play inside that Malzer doesn't. I've played against both of them and respect both players game but Marshall is tougher to guard. I'd say Malzer can shoot better but Marshall is a tough matchup. You put a smaller,quicker, guy on him he will post them up. If you put a bigger guy on him, he has the ability to step out and shoot the 3.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:18 pm

NATURAL TALENT wrote:Cole Bender from Wilton is a very nice looking player for being a sophomore. Watched him play in Bismarck earlier this year and he finishes well when he gets down low. He dumped in 30 when they played Cavalier.

I seen he's had some big games, I had never heard of him till this year but his numbers are impressive.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Alex wolf from bowman has got to be on the top of the list. Bowman also has another sophmore starter, Kenzie Robertson. He's struggled a little the first couple games, but he'll be sure to come along and will be a player to watch and maybe even all state in the future. 08-09 is gonna be the year for the bulldogs. They have alot of good freshmen and sophmores that play together at least 3 hours a day in the summer. They are gonna be a force.
project-pat

Postby ndfbfan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:29 pm

baller01 wrote:Wo, wo wo, I don't think I'd go out and say Chad Marshall is a big. He is 6'2" at the max, unless he has growin a couple inches. I think people might think he is a big man because he has the ability to post up. I find him to be better then Malzer when comparing the two because Marshall poses the ability to play inside that Malzer doesn't. I've played against both of them and respect both players game but Marshall is tougher to guard. I'd say Malzer can shoot better but Marshall is a tough matchup. You put a smaller,quicker, guy on him he will post them up. If you put a bigger guy on him, he has the ability to step out and shoot the 3.

6'2 is pushing it. Closer to 6' MAYBE 6'1. Physically he's good, if he is able to adjust to the mental part of the game, he'll be really,really good. He has to learn to not let missed shots and mistakes get in the way of him playing his game. He does post up nicely though. Region 7 is going to be fun to watch this year. Don't count out Richardton-Taylor either.
ndfbfan

Postby classb_fan00 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:30 pm

hoopsstar2391 wrote:Looks like Justin Puritun, from Linton is having a pretty good season so far.  He's averaging 20 points a game in 3 games.

i think Puritun would be top 5. he's having a good year.
I don't know if I practiced more than anybody, but I sure practiced enough. I still wonder if somebody - somewhere - was practicing more than me.
Larry Bird
classb_fan00
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:32 pm

classb_fan00 wrote:
hoopsstar2391 wrote:Looks like Justin Puritun, from Linton is having a pretty good season so far.  He's averaging 20 points a game in 3 games.

i think Puritun would be top 5. he's having a good year.

not even close compared to Marshall
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:41 pm

ive never seen Marshall play, put Purintun is an absolute stud as a sophomore.  with Weber out for 6 weeks look for his scoring to go up even higher.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby lightning » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:00 pm

Nathan meidinger from Linton is a stud out there really shoot the 3 ball wow can he run the floor.  Purintun is on alright player, kinda slow,shoots alright but nothin special.
Last edited by lightning on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightning
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:03 pm

lightning wrote:Purintun is on alright player, kinda slow,shoots alright but nothin special.

i agree with you on this, slow on defense and can't take anyone off the dribble, i wouldn't even go that far as to say hes an alright shooter, more like poor
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baller01 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:45 pm

Another sophomore that could put up some numbers as the year goes on is Nathan Dykema. Stands about 6'5" and is really lanky. Chips in about 5-10 points a night for Lisbon. Plays along side Carlbrom so that helps him out. He is just getting his first experience at the varsity level so hes starting out slow but as the year goes on he has the size and ability to average 10-15 points a night imo. Could be the X-Factor on that Bronco team that helps lead them out of that region.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:11 pm

baller01 wrote:
lightning wrote:Purintun is on alright player, kinda slow,shoots alright but nothin special.

i agree with you on this, slow on defense and can't take anyone off the dribble, i wouldn't even go that far as to say hes an alright shooter, more like poor

tell your team to ignore him from the outside and he'll torch ya for 25. the kids a good player i dont know what game you saw but ive seen him play since he was a 7th grader on varsity, hes better then alright.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm

You are right, he will put up 25, if he gets really lucky. Wasn't there a sophomore from Standing Rock that had a big weekend at that Hoopster thing at the Civic Center in Bismarck?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:16 pm

Wyman Martin. Stands about 6'2-6'3 something like that. He put up some nice numbers down at the Hoopster tourney, I dont know how he has done after that, SR hasnt updated any stats on ndhsaa.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby lightning » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:08 pm

baller01 wrote:You are right, he will put up 25, if he gets really lucky. Wasn't there a sophomore from Standing Rock that had a big weekend at that Hoopster thing at the Civic Center in Bismarck?
haha modesty
lightning
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:47 pm

Jadon Messer from Richardton-Taylor is averaging 18 a game. Anyone know anything on him?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby threeball » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:07 pm

devin schmelling from south heart is pretty good
threeball
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby rep » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:34 pm

threeball wrote:devin schmelling from south heart is pretty good

wasn't there a schmelling that played girls basketball there a couple years back....darcy schmelling? is devin a younger brother?
rep

Postby Bison Rule » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:29 am

Saw Bender from Wilton play a couple of games, listed at 6'2''.  Well polished around the basket, finished well.  Scored in the mid 20's.  Lucas Bloms from Berthold put on one of the most dominant offensive shows I've seen in a long time.  Listed at 6' (I'll guess 5'11") he has a nice stroke from 3.  The most impressive thing was that he had the change of direction quickness to consistentaly get himself into the midrange jump shot, combined with a high/quick release.  Scored 36 the night I saw him,  heard he scored 34 against.......Garrison maybe.  Sounds like he has had some streep throat problem, only been healthy for 2 games.  I haven't seen Melzer from Turtle lake play yet this year but he is definately a quality player. 
Bison Rule

Next

Return to Boys